Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Devil May Cry

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 105 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 07-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #1276
2DLogic
SSSmokin' Sick Style

Techno: I gotta agree with LoC about you being harassed. Smart-ass comments are one thing, someone taking your stuff, and pushing you into a fountain... That's someone getting hit, or hopefully having the right mental state to call the cops on them and sue their ass for assault.

Magnets are how I'd try to handle Blue Rose's attachment. Only issue I could see is the revolver's chamber might make it difficult to get a strong connection between the two magnets unless you placed them in the barrels or in the grip of the gun.
If you do go the holster route, go with whatever material you're making the brown leg straps from and just build off of that on the left side.

I feel the same way about the pants; accuracy vs comfort. I'm dreading pleather pants for how hot its going to be, but I'll probably end up going all out and suffering through it.

Draco: Have you thought about picking up a cheap double shoulder holster for your E&I? It's a minor design concession without the coat, and with it you'd never notice the holsters. Check eBay or local army surplus stores, you should be able to find something.

LoC: I thought about using nails as the base and then coating them, but was concerned about safety. It's also the reason I never completely 'sharpen' the swords I make... I guess as long as they're sufficiently dulled it would be alright, I'm also planning on slightly curving them, and it would certainly be easier to bend a couple nails than worry about carving the horns from another material.
Heat forming thin styrene was my idea for the spiked pommel too. Guess I'll pick some up next time I'm out and give it a shot.
2DLogic is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-04-2011, 11:51 AM   #1277
Technowraith
Stealing Dante's Pizza...

Oh yeah, about that guy that pushed me in the fountain: He got arrested, but not by my doing. He tried pushing someone elseinto the fountain. And that attempt didn't go down as easily as mine did. It was that person who called the cops and busted his ass. Personally I really wasn't too upset. Had my electronics been in my pockets it would've been game over for that guy. Cuz the electronics are a personal issue with me. Ruin them, and yeah, you better run the F away before I catch you. Or won't you be running anymore. >.<

One thing I was thinking about the Holster is repainting one. Not sure how practical that would be, though.

2D: Your idea with the magnets might work, it will just take some planning and slight design modification. I'm thinking I'll need to talk to my commissioner and bounce suggestions off him as well, as I want to make sure I'm not making the costume harder for him to make. Brown strapping will probably be the best route. We'll see what develops.

Current Cosplay Project:

Nero- Devil May Cry 4.
Current Costume status: Wig ordered.
Current Prop status:
Deathbringer: Full scale mock-up 85% complete. Design adjustments in progress.
Red Queen: Design in progress
Blue Rose: Not started yet.
Technowraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #1278
LoveofCountry
Guts & Honor, I like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technowraith View Post
Oh yeah, about that guy that pushed me in the fountain: He got arrested,
Karma pie to the face, CLOWN!!!

As for the holster...if it's made of leather I def. think repainting it is within the realm of possibility. I just experimented with using an aerosol sprayer to apply dye to a pair of boots I made...worked out very well actually, way more uniform then brushing the dye on. Not sure how it would work on a nylon holster rig tho. You can get the sprayer and jar at home depot for like 5 bucks, and leather dye or acrylic paint is 1-4 bucks so it's less than a ten dollar investment and really wouldn't take long.

Katsucon '14
PAX East '14 !!
LoveofCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 03:08 PM   #1279
Technowraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveofCountry View Post
Karma pie to the face, CLOWN!!!

As for the holster...if it's made of leather I def. think repainting it is within the realm of possibility. I just experimented with using an aerosol sprayer to apply dye to a pair of boots I made...worked out very well actually, way more uniform then brushing the dye on. Not sure how it would work on a nylon holster rig tho. You can get the sprayer and jar at home depot for like 5 bucks, and leather dye or acrylic paint is 1-4 bucks so it's less than a ten dollar investment and really wouldn't take long.

Ok... I'm sure it can't hard. When you said sprayer, I was thinking Airbrush, but now I'm thinkinh you mean the squirt bottle. LoL. I found leg holsters on-line earlier. They just look a little odd given Nero's general appearance. So used to seeing him without a holster. LoL. I find it rather odd that Capcom overlooked something as basic as giving Nero a holster for Blue Rose. But then again, since both Dante and Nero just velcro their swords to themselves, it makes sense for Nero to just velcro Blue Rose to himself. LoL. Call it laziness on Capcom's part. But it does kinda present a challenge in a way. Thinking I'll get both a leg holster and also consider design implements for 2D's magnet idea as well.

Current Cosplay Project:

Nero- Devil May Cry 4.
Current Prop status:
Unread 07-04-2011, 10:21 PM   #1280
LoveofCountry
Guts & Honor, I like that

Pretty weird right? I'm kinda thinking the only reason they finally threw a holster into DMC 3 was either fan unrest...or they were trying to portray young Dante as Lazy compared to all other versions that have adhered to the "Badasses don't holster their weapons with anything but air" philosophy.

Katsucon '14
PAX East '14 !!
LoveofCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 10:40 PM   #1281
2DLogic
SSSmokin' Sick Style

Haha, what's even stranger is that they gave Nero seemingly useless straps on his legs that would have been nothing, if not an ideal place to attach a holster.

Did a bit of placement drawing for where some of the foam accents will go to make up Sparda's "organic parts", or as I like to call it, the juicy bits.
http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...7-04223020.jpg
http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...7-04232347.jpg
http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...rda-1-Copy.jpg

Any critiques before I start cutting and carving foam tomorrow after work?
Unread 07-04-2011, 10:48 PM   #1282
Technowraith

Tell me about it. I mean I wouldn't chock it up to laziness on Dante's or Nero's parts for lack of a holster. I'd more or less be annoyed cuz I'd have to carry my guns all the time. Technically, it's out of canon look for Nero to have a holster but for ease of cosplay, I'll probably be adding one anyway.

2D's magnet idea can work in several ways:
-Placing magnets in the guns handle
-Placing magnets in the gun barrel sections
-Placing magnets in the revolver bullet chamber
-Placing magnets in all 3 locations

I found industrial strength 50lb magnets (they don't weigh 50 pounds, they can lift and hld 50 pounds) that are relatively small and possibly easy to integrate into Blue Rose's design. It would require another build, but that's not a big deal. I'd have to get more flat plate magnets, since the two I already have I need for Red Queen. I can probably attach a plate magnet to the leg strap (have a pocket sewn on the underside) and then the magnets on Blue Rose will simply stick to the plate magnets. Look Capcom! No holster! :P

For Red Queen, I plan to use the 7 inch diameter plate magnets, one built into Red Queen and one either built into a separate harness that can fit comfortably under the coat or I'll bounce ideas off the commissioner for reinforcing the coat to support Red Queen.

Edit:
2D: Looks good for the accents!

Current Cosplay Project:

Nero- Devil May Cry 4.
Current Prop status:
Unread 07-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #1283
2DLogic
SSSmokin' Sick Style

Did a bit more work today, not as much as I would have liked, but its something. Actually got both sides cut out, but only the left sanded to shape and glued on.

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...7-06220845.jpg
Unread 07-07-2011, 12:54 AM   #1284
LordDraco3
On a mission

Reposting my source for magnets: http://www.unitednuclear.com
Really high quality stuff.

2D: That's looking AWESOME!!!

Seeing all this Sparda work has sparked me to begin mine. Currently in the planning stages, I'm going to try and whip up a blueprint that I can print out to get the perfect proportions (the biggest problem I see with most Spardas out there).

I will be using my Pyramid Head great knife as the base, which was made very fast to use on stage for one night. It is currently a giant piece of sign-quality poster board (the kind with plastic sandwiching the foam instead of paper, i'm sure there's a better name that I'm just forgetting--VERY sturdy stuff) duct-taped to a curtain rod. 6'6" and weighs almost NOTHING.
LordDraco3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 01:58 AM   #1285
Technowraith

Great work, 2D.

LordDraco: Thanks for the link. Was trying to remember where I found that site. There are some magnets there that I think will work for Blue Rose if I can't find a suitable holster solution. Maybe I can 1-up Capcom on the "Look Mom, No Holster" issue. LoL.

Slowly moving forward with Blue Rose. To some extent progress is hampered by renovation work, job searching for better part time job and the meds the shrink gave me (which aren't helping - killing my motivation to do anything because they are making me more depressed). At least later today I go to the doctor to fix the meds.

I also found some leg holsters but haven't decided which one I'll get yet. The commissioner said he might be able to custom build an adjustable leg holster since I told him I made a non-standard size gun. He just has to look into holster designs since he never made a holster before.

Current Cosplay Project:

Nero- Devil May Cry 4.
Current Prop status:
Unread 07-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #1286
LordDraco3
On a mission

Decided to weigh my props before getting started on Sparda, very interesting:

Sparda base (PH great knife): 1 lb 12 oz

Alastor: 2 lb 14 oz
Nevan: 4 lb 10 oz
Ebony&Ivory: 1 lb each
I don't even think I CAN accurately weigh K.Ann (I was using a food scale that maxes at 11lbs, K.Ann has to be AT LEAST 20).

Hopefully with some newfound construction techniques I can keep the weight down. Nevan is so darn heavy as it was the first major prop I ever made, and Alastor came out heavier than I wanted due to the clay I used (crayola air-dry appears to dry MUCH heavier than paper clay). I really want to use the magnet harness again with Sparda to make carrying it easier...

Drafted up some blueprints in photoshop and going to see if I can't get them printed out somewhere (each side is 17x78 inches).
Unread 07-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #1287
Technowraith

Total brain freeze on what Alastor is... LoL.

Friend of mine made Kalina Ann based off a 12inch diameter 6 foot long section of pvc pipe with a 90 degree elbow at the butt end. Gluing on the extra parts gave KA it's final shape. Her KA weights about 10 pounds, because she shaped everything for KA out wonderflex and glued it all together. The heavier component is actually the PVC piping.

On the Blue Rose front, I hit that site for the magnets and found several that might be helpful for sticking inside Blue Rose. Problem is, I'll need about 5-10 magnets and those magnets aren't cheap. >.< I've found a 1/2" plate magnet elsewhere, so I'll get that soon. Gonna go for the "Look Mom, Capcom forget to give me a holster, so I'll just stick my gun to myself" look. LoL. (Chances are, I'll still get a leg holster too. While I don't doubt the performance of the magnets, I'd still be freaking out about "where's Blue Rose?" LoL... ^.^)

I've also decided that I might actually just keep Blue Rose as a cardboard gun for the time being. Dad's wood working tools are in horrid condition and my dremmel kit is on loan to a friend right now. So for now, I can creatively sculpt cardboard into what I need. Gotta make a few cosmetic improvements to Blue Rose anyway, and with adjustments for magnets and stuff, I'll have to make another gun anyway.

Research for Devil Bringer and Red Queen is entering final stages. Learning about the circuit for DB and RQ. (Gonna make Red Queen light up as well). Red Queen lighting scheme is much more straight forward than Devil Bringer that's for sure.

Lighting scheme for Red Queen: Ref pic
Have the red section in the reference picture light up. Battery pack can be hidden in the hilt. This can be done with either EL sheeting or EL tape.

Lighting Scheme for Devil Bringer: Ref pic
The glowing part of arm vambrace will be EL sheeting, fed by an inverter and battery pack clipped to my waist with wires running up the coat and down the sleeve. The commissioner said he can add little velcro closures in the sleeve and inside of the coat to keep the wires in relative check.
The hand I'm not 100% sure of whether or not I'll endeavor to light that up. But an idea is to wrap EL tape around the fingers and somewhat glue it in place. I want to leave enough room for flexibility. Since several pieces of EL tape can be wired individually to the same circuit, this may work. This is more or less a trial and error design that can't be tested until the EL tape arrives and the circuit is built.

Thoughts? Opinions? Nero is smoking and not sharing?

Current Cosplay Project:

Nero- Devil May Cry 4.
Current Prop status:
Unread 07-07-2011, 09:43 PM   #1288
2DLogic
SSSmokin' Sick Style

Techno, http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...ge_alastor.jpg
Alastor is between Force Edge and Sparda.
Why not add a pocket on the inside of the coat to hide the inverter in, that way you aren't having to use as much wire and would have less risk of it getting caught or pulling if you bent over, sat down, ect.

Draco, how did you manage to keep the weight so low on everything else, and end up with Kalina Ann coming in at over 20lbs?
Check around for either a local print shop, or hit up a FedEx Kinkos they should be able to handle your blueprints. Or do what I did for my Ebony and Ivory blueprints, split up the image so that part of the picture would be split between normal 8.5x11 printer paper and then tape your pieces together.

I thought my swords were coming in fairly light for how big they are, but wow. You have some seriously light blades... I would go foam/fiberglass to keep the weight down, but fiberglass and resin is so expensive. Especially when I can get tons of scrap wood for free. Ah well, at least they are super sturdy. lol
Unread 07-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #1289
Technowraith

The pocket idea for the inverter sounds good. I might as well try and pop the battery pack in there. My thought was since the inverter and battery pack are waist mounted, running the wire up the coat and down the sleeve won't be too big a deal. The other consideration for putting too much stuff in pockets in the coat is how it may whip around when I turn or get blown around in a stiff wind. It's entirely possible clock someone upside the head with the inverter if it's free swinging in the coat pocket and I do a quick turn. But I will still look into that idea. ^.^

With getting a better job soon, I can start saving up for my costume and the advanced supplies for my props. All told, I estimate Nero will hands down be the most expsive cosplay yet: looking at upwards of 700-800 when costume, prop supplies and that are done. XD

Thanks for the refresher on Alastor. I think I used it a few times in the game. I usually just use Rebellion and the guns. Although in 3, I use nun-chuks sometimes. (I think it's 3 where you get the nun-chuks. You get so much random shit in those games it's tough to remember what weapons goes to what game. LoL).

Current Cosplay Project:

Nero- Devil May Cry 4.
Current Prop status:
Unread 07-08-2011, 12:11 AM   #1290
LordDraco3
On a mission

@2D: I made K.Ann using mostly metal, wood, and PVC. The tube is aluminum, the butt-end is PVC, and the front handle is a big mess of wood and metal. Everything is held together with countless screws, it's quite the frankenstein'd prop.

Sometimes it's just best to go with what you know. I wish I knew how to use fiberglass & resin, but since I don't, I typically use a lot of paper mache.