Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Devil May Cry

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 130 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 08-13-2011, 01:53 PM   #1396
AVAAntares
Sewing = 1/2 (Battle)

I second the Dremel kits. I use my Dremel more than any other tool for building cosplay props -- you can use it for cutting, sanding, engraving, drilling, just about anything (on a small scale). And the replacement bits are only a few dollars, so it's WAY cheaper than buying another tool. The only drawback is the size; you're limited to working within a range of just a few inches, so for bigger projects you will need to pull out larger tools occasionally.

Garage sales, estate sales and auctions are great places to find cheap power tools. You can often get a whole box of assorted equipment for $10 to $20, just because nobody wants to carry it home or they're desperate to get it out of their garage. And don't be afraid to take home older equipment, if it's still in good shape! My power drill is a brushed-aluminum Sunbeam from the 1950s. It looks like a Flash Gordon ray gun, but it still works.

www.AndSewingIsHalfTheBattle.com
いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい
"Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it." Maimonides
AVAAntares is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #1397
2DLogic
SSSmokin' Sick Style

I would highly recommend a Dremel to anyone, whether its just the basic rotary tool, to the more specialized things like the Trio, or Multi-Max. No question about it being the most versatile tool I own. Only thing that gets even a comparable amount of use would be my band saw, which has had a broken blade for the past few months, and I've gotten by with a jig saw in its absence.

Basic hand tools are always helpful too. A couple files, straight and circular, a wood rasp, which I still need to get a sharpener for, various grains of sandpaper, a chisel, and engraving tools are some of the other things that I end up using a lot.

I don't see why the painting methods wouldn't work fine as long as the cardboard is sealed well.
2DLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 02:22 AM   #1398
LoveofCountry
Guts & Honor, I like that

Anybody on here take a crack at Cerberus yet? Trying to decide on a secondary main weapon and ole Cerb seems like the most feasible to get on a plane if i attend a far away con and don't want to deal with the hassle of trying to take Rebellion with. I never noticed in the game that the chain links make sort of a figure 8 pattern, that's DEF. not something commercially available so wondering if anybody has thoughts/ and or experience to share.
LoveofCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 02:39 AM   #1399
LordDraco3
On a mission

Those figure-eight chains are the reason I haven't tried making Cerberus just yet. I really wouldn't be satisfied with a normal chain, but no ideas on how to make it. Not only are they figure-eight, but they have a square cross section (compared to the usual circular), and aren't curved at all, but rather bent at sharp angles. A devilish weapon indeed.
LordDraco3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 03:52 AM   #1400
AVAAntares
Sewing = 1/2 (Battle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDraco3 View Post
Those figure-eight chains are the reason I haven't tried making Cerberus just yet. I really wouldn't be satisfied with a normal chain, but no ideas on how to make it. Not only are they figure-eight, but they have a square cross section (compared to the usual circular), and aren't curved at all, but rather bent at sharp angles. A devilish weapon indeed.
Really? I think it looks like a normal curb chain. Probably an anti-flat curb chain, since it doesn't nest. The corners in the game render are sharper (polygons!), but the basic structure is the same, and you can buy commercial square-link curb chains. (And after all the bad dog jokes Dante made, it would be appropriate, since that's the kind of chain used for most choke collars...)

Or, if you wanted to make one that had the corners, you could get a 1" square-link cable chain and turn the links 45 degrees with a vise and pliers. That's more or less how curb chains originated, anyway.

www.AndSewingIsHalfTheBattle.com
いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい
"Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it." Maimonides
AVAAntares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 02:38 PM   #1401
Deuce_VII
Devil Trigger Dante

Dremel kits ARE indeed awesome. Throw my (belated) vote in the hat for that one

And actually, I not only made Cerberus, that was the first devil trigger I wore to a convention. It wasn't my best, but it was the first, so I'm kinda nostalgic about it. I've also used Cerberus with my normal DMC3 Dante costume

http://www.cosplay.com/costume/264627/ this has the best pics of it

I just used chain, pvc, hot glue (love that stuff), some random scraps, and wood
In a time, long since past in an age of darkness, when the Earth was overrun with demons and humans were powerless under their rule humanity's hope lived in a demon, named Sparda. With a spirit unlike any other, and wielding the sword that bore his own name, Sparda eradicated the demons. And now the Legend of Sparda, has been inherited, by his son the demon slayer...Dante
Deuce_VII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #1402
Kawaii Pocky
I a shower, not a grower!

Okay, so I know this is for DMC cosplay, so I hope you don't mind if I ask, but I just wanted to ask what do you guys think about this new "Dante" they're trying to pass off as Dante? It kinda pissed me off because it's like that Euro fag isn't our Dante.
Planned Cosplays 2013:
C.C. - Code Geass (100%)
Akihiko Sanada - Persona 3 (100%)
Lolita - (100%)
Yukiko Alt Color - Persona 3/Persona 4 Arena (planned)
Catherine - Catherine (planned)
Sebastian - Black Butler (planned)
Shiro Lolita - (planned)
Kawaii Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #1403
LordDraco3
On a mission

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo...
LordDraco3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 07:51 PM   #1404
Technowraith
Stealing Dante's Pizza...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii Pocky View Post
Okay, so I know this is for DMC cosplay, so I hope you don't mind if I ask, but I just wanted to ask what do you guys think about this new "Dante" they're trying to pass off as Dante? It kinda pissed me off because it's like that Euro fag isn't our Dante.
Uhhh... Not against the new Dante really. He just looks different. In the bad assery department he's no different than our traditional Dante we know and love. Sure, kill me now, but hey, if I see well done New Dante, I'll add him to my ranks of cool cosplays. Hands down. It's just seriously uncool to hate on a well done costume (and who could turn out to be a great cosplayer) just because you hate how the character looks.

Current Cosplay Project:

Nero- Devil May Cry 4.
Current Costume status: Wig ordered.
Current Prop status:
Deathbringer: Full scale mock-up 85% complete. Design adjustments in progress.
Red Queen: Design in progress
Blue Rose: Not started yet.
Technowraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 10:04 PM   #1405
LoveofCountry

I wish I could agree with Techno, but I am going to have a lot of trouble playing this game because of what a perversion I believe Ninja Theory to have done. When Hideki Kamiya created Devil May Cry his big focus was on style, so I think people have every right in the world to judge him based on how he looks. And from what I've seen in the clips and gameplay videos I'd almost prefer to have Edward the sparkly Vampire being the main protagonist in the DMC reboot than this new cracked out emo Dante they've created.
Unread 08-20-2011, 12:15 AM   #1406
2DLogic
SSSmokin' Sick Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveofCountry View Post
And from what I've seen in the clips and gameplay videos I'd almost prefer to have Edward the sparkly Vampire being the main protagonist in the DMC reboot than this new cracked out emo Dante they've created.
Dunno if I'd go quite that far, lol. But I agree 100% on the rest.

Even beyond the look and gameplay changes, the spirit of the character is different. If this was a completely new character like Nero was, then fine, but you can't come into an established series with a huge fan base, fundamentally change the main character and expect no backlash from fans.
2DLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2011, 02:50 AM   #1407
Technowraith

I'm a more open minded guy. I won't bash a game just because popular opinion says so. I think the biggest reason the New Dante doesn't bother me as much is i've immersed myself in the entirety of the Devil May Cry series within say, 4 months, not years as most of you long time fan have. I don't have that "I played when the original Devil May Cry came out and have been playing since." Mentality. It's more or less, I played all the games through in about a month, but grew to love the characters and story in a very short period of time. As such, my mentality toward the New Dante is different. I've "known" Dante for what, 4 months. Some of you have known Dante for almost 10 years if you jumped into the series when Devil May Cry came out. So it's rightfully within your opinion to say you're not thrilled. Based on the Dante I know, and the one I see in the reboot, I'm not entirely sure if I will like him as much as like traditional Dante or Nero, but I certainly don't hate him yet. At least not enough to demote him to sparkly emo teeny bopper teenage vampires who wear eye makeup. LoL.

My biggest concern thus far with the reboot is more technical than visual. ninja theory used the unreal engine for the graphics rendition. This engine is actually much slower than the engines used in the ps2 games and ps3 for DMC 4. Seeing the trailers, it appears the gameplay paces a tad on the slower side. Knowing that DMC uses exact timing combo systems, slower paced game play translates to completely different combo systems. The fact combo systems we're used to may not work well on slower paced game play may lead to some difficulty adjusting, or frustration. By slower paced, I mean running a slower frame rate because the Unreal engine maxes out at 25FPS, no where near the 35-40FPS used on the ps2 and ps3 DmC games. A difference of 15 FPS can result in skewed button combo timing, because you may be used to player at a faster pace, and be forced to slow your button presses. If you're like me and button mash, it may not matter to much. Sadly, i've button mashed my way through DmC in it's entirety. But it was the most epic button mashing I've ever done. LoL And since we don't even know how Ninja Theory is handling the gameplay, it's a mystery as to how the combo system even works at this point. :|

Current Cosplay Project:

Nero- Devil May Cry 4.
Current Prop status:
Unread 08-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #1408
LoveofCountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DLogic View Post
Dunno if I'd go quite that far, lol. But I agree 100% on the rest.
LOL, ya that would be the end of Capcom as we know it, but I get indignant about people changing Dante the devil hunting Phenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technowraith View Post
Some of you have known Dante for almost 10 years if you jumped into the series when Devil May Cry came out. So it's rightfully within your opinion to say you're not thrilled.
Yeeaa Buddy!! And lower framerates means less bullets, and that is not DMC-esque in the least.
Unread 08-21-2011, 02:24 AM   #1409
Technowraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveofCountry View Post
Yeeaa Buddy!! And lower framerates means less bullets, and that is not DMC-esque in the least.
Hell yeah, fewer bullets means less stuff dead in the same amount of time. LoL. I've been keeping close tabs on the reboot from various fronts. so it will be interesting to see how this comes out.

In cosplay news, Nero is close to finding a much better job, so once that works in my favor, I'll be able to begin earnest fabrication on Red Queen, Devil Bringer and Blue Rose. Hit the motherlode toolwise on craigslist the other day: got a table saw, a new rotary drill set, a band saw blade (but no band saw - lol) belt sander, some random twirly thing that I don't know what it does, 6 huge ratchet clamps, a dremmel bit set (but no dremmel drill) and a new pair of saw horses all for the price of picking the stuff up. Told dad if he could get a pick-up truck, we could replace half the tools he needs and get some new ones he didn't have. Surprisingly he went for it and went to go wrangle the pick-up from my uncle. So now i got all this stuff in the garage. LoL. Apparently someone was moving and needed to get rid of the tools and stuff right away. Can't beat free stuff man.

Current Cosplay Project:

Nero- Devil May Cry 4.
Current Prop status:
Unread 08-21-2011, 02:18 PM   #1410
Kawaii Pocky
I a shower, not a grower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technowraith View Post
Uhhh... Not against the new Dante really. He just looks different. In the bad assery department he's no different than our traditional Dante we know and love. Sure, kill me now, but hey, if I see well done New Dante, I'll add him to my ranks of cool cosplays. Hands down. It's just seriously uncool to hate on a well done costume (and who could turn out to be a great cosplayer) just because you hate how the character looks.
The only reason it bothers me is because I love classic Dante. If the game is still good I'll play it, probably rent it just because I don't want to pay for douchy not Dante. And I wouldn't hate on some one cosplaying the new Dante because it's the character, not the cosplayer I really don't like.

I mean hell, I hated DMC 2, it blew ass but it still had classic Dante.

And my bf had a theory that they were making a "new Dante", make people hate and resent him because he's not our Dante. And then that they were going to release a game with classic Dante. He basically described it with Coke have new Coke and then releasing classic Coke which people ended up buying the crap out of.

But I just wanted to hear what other people thought. It just bugs me. I didn't mind Nero in 4.

And I do think the look of a character effects a game, especially a series. I think very rarely you play a series of games where the main character is always "Mr. X" and then 2-3 games in suddenly they make a brand new main character and of course every one's going to be like WTF. I think the only time this was successful was Metal Gear Solid 2 with Raiden, I know every one hated him, but I think people love him now after MGS 4 where they turned him into a cyborn ninja bad ass. But for the most part I don't think it works out like that. People hated DMC 2 but still bought it because it had Dante.

When it comes to DMC though, every one loves Dante (not to speak for every one, I just meant for the most part that most people like Dante, I know my bf hated playing as Nero) to change his look I think is foolish. I understand trying to give him a fresh look, but I think it's too fresh. They already did DMC 3 with a young Dante and it was a great game. This is why the new DMC kind of hurts me, how some one can just slaughter his look and slap a tshirt and jeans on him and throw a red trenchcoat on him and call him "Dante". I know his hair turns white when he goes into devil mode but I find it quite retarded. Really, they could be more creative with the outfit as well. I'm ot saying they have to make some thing fancy smancy, but I really don't find a plain white t and jeans all that creative. I think in DMC 2 Dante's Fossil outfit was more creative then that and he's just wearing a line of an actual clothing brand. lol I guess I also didn't think about them giving him a simple outfit as a prototype while they're testing out his moves and all that, but I really do hope they change that.

This is all my theory.

Sorry for the huge rant, I hadn't planned on writing so much. >.< I'm just really passionate for DMC. One of my favorite video game series.
Planned Cosplays 2013:
C.C. - Code Geass (100%)
Akihiko Sanada - Persona 3 (100%)
Lolita - (100%)
Yukiko Alt Color - Persona 3/Persona 4 Arena (planned)
Catherine - Catherine (planned)
Sebastian - Black Butler (planned)
Shiro Lolita - (planned)

Last edited by Kawaii Pocky : 08-21-2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: I meant to mention I was talking about Raiden with the MGS reference.
Kawaii Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote