Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Devil May Cry

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 131 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 08-24-2011, 08:45 PM   #1441
Kawaii Pocky
I a shower, not a grower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technowraith View Post
The entire mythology behind Devil May Cry is actually pretty fascinating. If you take into account the hypothetical fact that DMC 2 never existed, some of the story begins to make real sense. Even some Capcom execs admit, rather unwillingly mind you, in an interview about the new Devil May Cry "We'll pretend that DMC 2 never happened." Which kinda tells ya how much they care for DMC 2.
LOL No one loves that abortion of a game.
Planned Cosplays 2013:
C.C. - Code Geass (100%)
Akihiko Sanada - Persona 3 (100%)
Lolita - (100%)
Yukiko Alt Color - Persona 3/Persona 4 Arena (planned)
Catherine - Catherine (planned)
Sebastian - Black Butler (planned)
Shiro Lolita - (planned)
Kawaii Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-24-2011, 09:38 PM   #1442
2DLogic
SSSmokin' Sick Style

While 2 is obviously the worst of the series, I'd still take it over a lot of other action games of that or this generation.
2DLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 09:53 PM   #1443
LordDraco3
On a mission

Agreed, for DMC's high standards, it is awful, but as far as PS2 action games go, it's about middle of the road.

And it's still my favorite costume for Dante.
LordDraco3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 10:32 PM   #1444
Kawaii Pocky
I a shower, not a grower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDraco3 View Post
Agreed, for DMC's high standards, it is awful, but as far as PS2 action games go, it's about middle of the road.

He did have some cool outfits in 2. lol
Planned Cosplays 2013:
C.C. - Code Geass (100%)
Akihiko Sanada - Persona 3 (100%)
Lolita - (100%)
Yukiko Alt Color - Persona 3/Persona 4 Arena (planned)
Catherine - Catherine (planned)
Sebastian - Black Butler (planned)
Shiro Lolita - (planned)
Kawaii Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 12:21 AM   #1445
AVAAntares
Sewing = 1/2 (Battle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDraco3 View Post

True -- it had serious plot and narrative issues, and character-wise it was a pathetic follow-up to DMC1, and Lucia was... Lucia, but it wasn't terrible gameplay. It was just way. too. stinking. easy. I'm not even a hardcore gamer, and I beat both discs of the game in five hours. O_o. That shouldn't be possible, considering how many weeks it takes me to work through the average action game.

And I LOVE Dante's DMC2 costume; it's my favorite of all of his incarnations. After I finish MVC3 Trish, I'm thinking I'll put together Wolfina's version of the DMC2 costume (here, if you haven't seen it, though I think most DMC fans have drooled over Wolfina's galleries at some point or another).

www.AndSewingIsHalfTheBattle.com
いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい
"Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it." Maimonides
AVAAntares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 01:01 AM   #1446
LoveofCountry
Guts & Honor, I like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DLogic View Post
While 2 is obviously the worst of the series, I'd still take it over a lot of other action games of that or this generation.
Indeed, worst of the series or not, that was still probably the only Action game I played on Playstation 2 that year.
LoveofCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 01:10 AM   #1447
LoveofCountry
Guts & Honor, I like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVAAntares View Post
After I finish MVC3 Trish, I'm thinking I'll put together Wolfina's version of the DMC2 costume (here, if you haven't seen it, though I think most DMC fans have drooled over Wolfina's galleries at some point or another).
That's got to be my favorite, that and Dante and Trish getting DOOOOWWWWNN!
I'd love to see that costume happen, it's such a bitchin' Crossplay.
LoveofCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #1448
Deuce_VII
Devil Trigger Dante

Personally, I actually liked DMC2 (I know, I'm a rarity). Could be 'cos I liked the nice selection of firearms, could be the devil trigger you could adjust to your liking, or for that matter, the Majin Form you could access. The costumes were sweet, and it still had that Gothic feel in it.

Actually, DMC4 is prob my least favorite..I do like how balanced Dante's gameplay is..but for only 4 missions..it just doesn't cut it for me. I don't like playing as Nero..so yeah. That's just my opinion though (no one take offense)

But moving on..Nevan is all in one piece. Due to a bad string of LEDs, the lighting isn't gonna happen (can't get replacements, and don't have the cash to order them online). However, it is still set up for the Mp3 player speakers, so this baby WILL sing. Also attached eye bolts for a sling cos this thing is waaay too big to carry without support. It is presently as tall as I am almost, and drying (paper mache) in the garage. Progress pics will probably be posted eventually :P
In a time, long since past in an age of darkness, when the Earth was overrun with demons and humans were powerless under their rule humanity's hope lived in a demon, named Sparda. With a spirit unlike any other, and wielding the sword that bore his own name, Sparda eradicated the demons. And now the Legend of Sparda, has been inherited, by his son the demon slayer...Dante
Deuce_VII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #1449
LordDraco3
On a mission

4 Missions? Last I checked it was 8, while Nero got 12. I agree though that being forced to play not-Dante was really lame. In DMC3:SE being able to CHOOSE to play Vergil was awesome, and the game worked just fine. But if they allowed you to choose characters in 4, since they BUILT the damn game around Nero and his Devil Bringer, some levels would be impossible to do as Dante. Even the Bloody Palace is much easier with Nero's DB (Reached level 62 at my best, I think. Dante could barely kill those damned Blitz).

Deuce, what kind of LEDs are you using? Auto Zone sells strips of LEDs pre-wired (just have to replace the example batery pack and switch), and right now they have a large selection of colors. Blue, red, yellow, white, and I'm pretty sure they have pink and/or purple (I KNOW they have one of the two). They cost under or around $20 last I checked. I use them often for my Repo! projects and they are very easy to work with.
Unread 08-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #1450
AVAAntares
Sewing = 1/2 (Battle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce_VII View Post
Personally, I actually liked DMC2 (I know, I'm a rarity).
We're all judging you right now. ;-) Nah, to each his own. I will grant that DMC2 had a couple of nice touches: the aesthetics of the costumes, the gold orb system, and re-playing as Trish were highlights. For me, though, that wasn't enough to make up for the other issues.

Personally, DMC3 is my all-time favorite. I like Lady and Vergil as characters, and I love the tongue-in-cheek attitude of the whole game (like the creative on-screen numbering at the beginning of each mission). Any time I just want to sit down and play some DMC, it's almost always 3.

Quote:
But moving on..Nevan is all in one piece. Due to a bad string of LEDs, the lighting isn't gonna happen (can't get replacements, and don't have the cash to order them online).
What kind of LEDs do you need? You can find cheap battery-pack LED strands at craft stores if you look in the floral, bridal or seasonal sections. (I saw a bunch of 'em at JoAnn yesterday in the Halloween aisle.) You can also get individual battery-powered ones -- the magnetic kind -- at body jewelry stores. As LordDraco3 mentioned, automotive stores are another option. LEDs are pretty common beasties.

"Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it." Maimonides
Unread 08-26-2011, 09:31 PM   #1451
Deuce_VII
Devil Trigger Dante

@AVAAntares & Draco: I was using those fun white xmas wreath LEDs, but the strand was bad, and due to money issues, I don't really have the cash to get any replacements. Thanks for the tips however..tis appreciated

But that notwithstanding, Nevan is still coming along nicely. It's all together, and I finished the paper mache work today. Once everything is set, I can add the details and paint it. And yes, I will have pics verrry soon

And y'all were right, there were 8 missions for Dante in DMC4, they just seemed so short that I forgot a few..lol

Now, to a bit of good news. I came across this on capcom-unity today

http://www.capcom-unity.com/snow_inf..._dmc_interview

They finally answered our question: It's a prequel, but it's not the same Dante as "our" Dante. That's right..He's in a separate universe..so He has no bearing on the DMC universe we all know. Just a rather important piece of intel I thought was worth sharing
In a time, long since past in an age of darkness, when the Earth was overrun with demons and humans were powerless under their rule humanity's hope lived in a demon, named Sparda. With a spirit unlike any other, and wielding the sword that bore his own name, Sparda eradicated the demons. And now the Legend of Sparda, has been inherited, by his son the demon slayer...Dante
Unread 08-27-2011, 06:54 AM   #1452
LordDraco3
On a mission

Broke out my old video game music files and forgot that DMC2's soundtrack was also very on-par with the rest of DMC. It's also my favorite version of the time statue theme. Really good stuff!
Unread 08-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #1453
Deuce_VII
Devil Trigger Dante

http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/c...t=DSCN7297.jpg

As promised, a shot of Nevan in progress. Had to turn the pic around so y'all had a good view of the shape and such. Can't wait to paint this baby :P
Unread 08-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #1454
Technowraith
Stealing Dante's Pizza...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce_VII View Post
http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/c...t=DSCN7297.jpg

As promised, a shot of Nevan in progress. Had to turn the pic around so y'all had a good view of the shape and such. Can't wait to paint this baby :P
Looking pretty bangin' there Deuce. That looks like it's gonna turn out great once you the paint on it.

As for the Reboot, if it's a self-contained universe away from the traditional series we know of, it can't be entirely bad. However, that leaves the traditional series in a cliffhanger of sorts because we have no clue what's up with the back-story of DMC 4. >.< I can accept the reboot more learning that is self-contained away from what we have now. New Dante can be whoever NT wants to make of him. Just as long as there's some originality and not a total rip-off of the original cast's backstories (or lack there of in Nero's case).

As for lighting options (for any prop) give EL wire and EL sheeting a look. EL wire is cheaper. It's essentially flexible wire/tape that lights up. Great for glowing line effects (Like in Tron or Tron Legacy - which used EL wire/sheeting and digital effects to light the costumes). EL sheeting is more expensive, but it provides a powerful uniform glow over a wider area. I have a link here. It's just one site of many on the internet that sells EL products. Have a look. If you're new to EL products, pre-built kits are available that include everything you need except the battery power source. More advanced users can build from scratch by ordering everything piecemeal. I plan on using a combination of both to light Devil Bringer for Nero, as well as for lighting Red Queen.

Current Cosplay Project:

Nero- Devil May Cry 4.
Current Costume status: Wig ordered.
Current Prop status:
Deathbringer: Full scale mock-up 85% complete. Design adjustments in progress.
Red Queen: Design in progress
Blue Rose: Not started yet.

Last edited by Technowraith : 08-27-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Technowraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2011, 11:56 PM   #1455
AVAAntares
Sewing = 1/2 (Battle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technowraith View Post
As for lighting options (for any prop) give EL wire and EL sheeting a look. EL wire is cheaper. It's essentially flexible wire/tape that lights up. Great for glowing line effects (Like in Tron or Tron Legacy - which used EL wire/sheeting and digital effects to light the costumes). EL sheeting is more expensive, but it provides a powerful uniform glow over a wider area.
EL plastic sheets are amazing and produce awesome effects, but yeah; very expensive. If you're just starting out with it and want to experiment, EL wire and EL tape (the flat version, which looks like the aforementioned Tron suit lines) are pretty darn cheap on eBay. You can get a few yards of EL wire or tape and a AA battery pack, fully assembled, for $10 or so. I've picked up a couple to use in costuming, and when I'm done with them I just rewire them to work with different pieces.

The Tron: Legacy costumes were silicone and EL plastic; the original Tron, having a much tinier budget, glowed only via post-production magic. Earlier this year, a local museum brought my costuming group in to work in an exhibit on Hollywood and TV costumes, and one of the pieces they had was an original Tron movie costume. It amazed me that it was so simple -- it looked like someone had just sketched a design on the cloth with a marker (I think it was actually fabric paint). It looked like someone's cheap Halloween costume! It's amazing how far a little digital modification can go. (So, see, that means I'm totally justified in using Photoshop. Really.) ^_^

Last edited by AVAAntares : 08-27-2011 at 11:59 PM.