Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-25-2009, 11:52 PM   #1
Cosmetics
Mini-Lolita

Any cheap lolita clothes?

Alright, so. I'm thirteen years old, and I'm a wanna-be lolita. If it isn't obvious, I don't have $100+ to spare for lolita clothes. (Unfortunately.)
I've stumbled across Bodyline, which is within my budget, but I'm sure the shipping is probably double the price.
To the point: Are there any cheap online lolita stores? If not, are there any stores in the Vancouver/Victoria area that I could easily get to?
PS: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.

Unread 02-26-2009, 06:05 AM   #2
secretmirror180
From Planet Korin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmetics View Post
Alright, so. I'm thirteen years old, and I'm a wanna-be lolita. If it isn't obvious, I don't have $100+ to spare for lolita clothes. (Unfortunately.)
I've stumbled across Bodyline, which is within my budget, but I'm sure the shipping is probably double the price.
To the point: Are there any cheap online lolita stores? If not, are there any stores in the Vancouver/Victoria area that I could easily get to?
PS: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.
Most lolita will run you into the hundreds, especially since for most of them you have to get them shipped. You've already seen the cheap lolita stores like inthestarlight, anna house, and bodyline all which require shipping, all which go over a hundred. So the long story short: No. And there are no physical stores, sorry. I suggest just saving that money, sewing it yourself or buying loliable clothes.

Zelda (30%), Shampoo Neko-hanten(90%), Akihabara maid outfit
Plus a kajillion outfits & wigs for friends & family...-_-

---
One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other. - Jane Austen
secretmirror180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2009, 10:10 AM   #3
Allsunday

If you stick with places like Bodyline, Anna House, and InTheStarlight, you can always save on shipping by doing group orders with the latter two. I don't know how your parents would feel about that, but group orders do exist, and they'll save you a ton on shipping. Other than that, your best bet is to learn how to sew and buying discount fabric.

2009 Cons
Anime Expo, Yaoi Con
Allsunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
Tabby Catty
Professional Pirate

Two words: Goodwill

Thrift stores are a treasure trove for loliables that are cheap. Just make sure you know what you are doing and train a "lolita eye" for clothes and you'll do fine. I have found three tops from thrift stores and I spent less than 10 bucks altogether
Unread 02-26-2009, 12:13 PM   #5
sheepsour
Oxalis stricta

There are several "freelance seamstresses" *coughlikemecough* who sew lolita clothes. I'm sure if you look around online you can find somebody based in Canada if not BC to make you something. This also runs fairly expensive (and if it doesn't you should double check the quality), but probably cheaper than buying from Japan, and more likely to fit you if you don't have typical Japanese proportions.
sheepsour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
celticfreefall

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepsour View Post
There are several "freelance seamstresses" *coughlikemecough* who sew lolita clothes. I'm sure if you look around online you can find somebody based in Canada if not BC to make you something. This also runs fairly expensive (and if it doesn't you should double check the quality), but probably cheaper than buying from Japan, and more likely to fit you if you don't have typical Japanese proportions.
Most freelance seamstresses will probably end up charging around one hundred dollars for a proper dress due to the expensive cost of appropriate material and labor intensive sewing due to the detail and intricate nature of lolita style. I have a friend who sews lolita, and although she is cheaper, her skirts still run upwards to $50 due to materials and the fact that sewing scallops (favored hemline cut) are a pain in the ass and take forever. There are many well known seamstresses in the lolita community, and there are some in Canada to my knowledge. But a full outfit will still run her well over one hundred dollars. It's actually only slightly (and I mean slightly) cheaper than buying directly from Japan, but is sometimes the only option for people who don't fit into Japanese average sizing.

Short story: Cheap lolita doesn't exist. Unless a) you come across that white unicorn of a perfect 50's style dress that is well preserved en vintage, or b) someone gives you lolita for free. Which c) really doesn't happen. XD

Last edited by celticfreefall : 02-26-2009 at 02:39 PM.
celticfreefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
Pink_Lightning
Party like it's 1999!!

Concerning Body Line, even if the shipping ends up to be $30-40, they have some cute skirts and hair accessories for $11.

$11 skirt
$11 hair accesory
$11 socks
+$40 shipping
---------------
$73 total

I've gotten some nice blouses in the Junior's section of department stores before. In the small section of more dressy clothes, they tend to carry cute blouses with puff sleeves, ruffles, etc. It's also easy to find a pair of maryjane style shoes and flats now since stores are putting out their Spring items.
Pink_Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #8
celticfreefall

Yeah, Bodyline is the cheapest it's going to get. And they have really had some nice stuff lately. If you subtracted the shipping cost it would nearly be about the same as your average walmart outfit.
celticfreefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2009, 05:38 PM   #9
Kirotighta
Lolita Apologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink_Lightning View Post
I've gotten some nice blouses in the Junior's section of department stores before. In the small section of more dressy clothes, they tend to carry cute blouses with puff sleeves, ruffles, etc. It's also easy to find a pair of maryjane style shoes and flats now since stores are putting out their Spring items.
I've seen tons of really great blouses at Burlington Coat Factory. The ones I saw only really fit though if you're a C cup or smaller, though.
Kirotighta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2009, 06:07 PM   #10
Cosmetics
Mini-Lolita

Thanks, guys. :]
I've searched up a guide to some thrift stores in my town, and there's 3 retro-styled ones that are pretty big and not too expensive. I'm looking forward to visiting them in the near future. :3
As for the sewing; I am a terrible sewer (I sew my fingers together more than the actual fabric) but my mother is talented in the area and I hope she can teach me a few things so I can lolify some clothes of my own.
Unread 02-26-2009, 06:13 PM   #11
yaoikk
=3

I really only know where you can find blouses in Vancouver. The best place I can think of would be the H&M downtown. They don't really have anything loliable beyond accessories right now, but they do sometimes have really cute blouses. Also, stores like Mantique and Sakura may have some cute tops and accessories as well, but they would probably cost a little more. :S

Yeah, other then that, there's online & commissioning stuff...

edit: posted a little too late xP

Last edited by yaoikk : 02-26-2009 at 06:22 PM.
yaoikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #12
EpicOrange

Allanimedvd.com has some lolita costumes for cheap. They don't have to ship overseas either.
EpicOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2009, 08:27 PM   #13
Pretty_Kitty
Lost in space....

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangey229 View Post
Allanimedvd.com has some lolita costumes for cheap. They don't have to ship overseas either.
Yeah, these look more like maid costumes than lolita outfits. Probably not the best suggestion for cheap lolita clothing, especially since you can get a better made dress from Bodyline for cheaper than one of these outfits.

Bodyline, Anna House, and In The Starlight are really your best choices for (as cheap as its going to get) lolita clothing. Also, if you know a good seamstress this is also a good way to grow your wardrobe without sending yourself to the poor house.

Seeya At!

Last.fm * Live Journal
Cherry Blossom Tree Festival / Otakon 10' / AUSA 10'
Random Lolita Outfits

Last edited by Pretty_Kitty : 02-26-2009 at 08:40 PM. Reason: added some thoughts
Pretty_Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2009, 09:44 PM   #14
sheepsour
Oxalis stricta

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticfreefall View Post
Most freelance seamstresses will probably end up charging around one hundred dollars for a proper dress due to the expensive cost of appropriate material and labor intensive sewing due to the detail and intricate nature of lolita style. I have a friend who sews lolita, and although she is cheaper, her skirts still run upwards to $50 due to materials and the fact that sewing scallops (favored hemline cut) are a pain in the ass and take forever. There are many well known seamstresses in the lolita community, and there are some in Canada to my knowledge. But a full outfit will still run her well over one hundred dollars. It's actually only slightly (and I mean slightly) cheaper than buying directly from Japan, but is sometimes the only option for people who don't fit into Japanese average sizing.

Short story: Cheap lolita doesn't exist. Unless a) you come across that white unicorn of a perfect 50's style dress that is well preserved en vintage, or b) someone gives you lolita for free. Which c) really doesn't happen. XD
I know that, but even if it's around $100, it's still cheaper than $300+ for an AP dress...
sheepsour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2009, 10:55 PM   #15
NomNomNutella
Herrgottsakramentzefix!

I bought my dress off ebay, I paid $40 shipped for a lightly used In The Starlight dress. Its simple but it is my first outfit, and all I need is a petticoat and apron to be ready for Sakura-con.

But then this is a one-off case I'd assume. I got really lucky that I found someone listing so low and it just so happened that the dress was in my size! I guess you could browse around and see if there are any branded dresses selling for cheap on ebay.
NomNomNutella is offline   Reply With Quote