Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Marvel Universe

Unread 09-25-2007, 09:28 PM   #1
dragonsmithy

Question Thors Hammer

I kinda have it broken down for the measurements but my brain is scattered to all corners right now from working on this and few other projects any tips on construction and what not would be greatly accepted.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...rshammer-m.jpg
dragonsmithy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-25-2007, 11:56 PM   #2
verdatum
Extremely registered user

Worded this way, it's hard to give advice. Without more background, I don't know if I should be suggesting stuff like toilet paper tubes paste and glitter, or stuff like drop-forged case-hardened steel alloy...

What sort of properties would you like it to have? What kind of money do you want to spend? How much time do you wanna spend? How much prop experience do you have? (wow, sorta looks like my signature )
Unread 09-26-2007, 09:15 AM   #3
dragonsmithy

1. Name the character you intend to cosplay.Thor the thunderer

2. Name the show/game/manga, do not abbreviate or assume anyone knows it.Straight mythology

3. try to link to a decent ref photo. already have it up

4. How perfectionists are you?Depends on what I'm doing,for this as perfect as i can get it

5. How much are you looking to spend?For right now not havening a job looks like cardboard and hot glue

6. How much time/effort are you willing to put into it?Got all the time in the world

7. Talk about what you've learned so far, to show you've searched on your own.I've been doing LARPs since i was six years old and made all my own equipment but I'm getting burned out and new ideas are hard to come by.

that better lol
Unread 09-26-2007, 09:26 AM   #4
Martin_Nash
Chaotic Good

Well... One problem with the diagram you've drawn up is that it's... well, it's got extremely inaccurate measurements.
You've got the handle, neck, and pommel measured out to 12" long each- but on the right side you've got all three sections grouped together and give a 32" measurement.
The face of the hammer is given as 12", but it doesn't synch up with any of the other 12" parts. The handle looks closer to 18-20", actually.
I'd suggest re-thinking the measurements of your hammer before you get started on crafting it, or things aren't going to look right.

One thing I'd also suggest, is (if you haven't already,) re-draw this on graphing paper. You can imagine each square of the graph as being a pre-defined measurement, and it should come together much easier.

Last edited by Martin_Nash : 09-26-2007 at 09:29 AM.
Martin_Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2007, 09:36 AM   #5
featherweight
i'm one of the good guys

never underestmate cardboard and glue ,
aw so your doing and organil mythologicla thor, cool. but in that case you might not wanna refer to it as Mjolnir as stan lees brother actualy picked that name for it back in the day and in the true myths thors hammer was actulay unamed (or atleats thats what he said in that interview thing he did with kevin smiht i'm incliened to belive stan thou)
featherweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2007, 09:37 AM   #6
natnoj

You could use a door knob for the blunt end, the end of the stair case rails for the middle section and sand down the bottom to get it to look handlish. Ok maybe not the door know (its small) but you can purchase knobs from home improvement stores that look just as ornate as your design. as for the axe side and hammer end foam would be nice and safe.
natnoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2007, 09:41 AM   #7
halafax
Mad scientist

thats a war hammer, if you look around on line you can find real ones. That should give you a better idea of what you are doing.

the measurements you have are a bit off...

recheck your measurements..
Unread 09-26-2007, 02:50 PM   #8
dragonsmithy

Yea i realized this morning after i woke up that the length was off lo but i thank every one for pointing it out.I'm redrawing it after i am finished with this and hopefuly get everything figured out for the measurements then i will repost the drawing and maybe a rough mock up of the weapon.As for the name Mjolnir is mentioned in old legends of norse mythology being Thor was looked upon as a agricultural deity in quite a few norse lands and my favorite story when his hammer is taken from him and he must dress as a bried to a gaint to retrived it from the them and smites his would be husband lol..SO I'm not really worried about getting in trouble for something that was created long before are time lol.As for cardboard and hot glue I've seen your works featherweight and very very nice,I wouldn't mind a tip or two from you about it.

Last edited by dragonsmithy : 09-26-2007 at 02:54 PM.