Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > "Tales of" Series

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 64 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-06-2009, 12:28 AM   #1531
ShadowYin-Yang
JRPG Obsessed

I have many Tales cosplays I want to do that I want to talk about all of them! But I guess one problem at a time lol!

Okay, I know I orignally asked about Genis a while ago but I think our plans got switched a bit so our(me and my bro's) Symphonia and Dawn of the New World cosplay is on hold.

The closest Tales of cosplay I'm planning to do is Yuri from Vesperia.
Now I want your opinions: Does Yuri have black or extremely dark purple hair?
Is his outfit black or extremely dark purple?

I guess it almsot doesn't matter b/c the colors are so close but I have long black hair so I don't want to bother getting a wig if our hair style is virtually identical(not to mention the color)

Also:

[KINDA NEED HELP FROM GIRLS ON THIS PART]

Yes I'm a girl so the slightly open shirt thing is a problem. I'm thinking of binding vertically. I have seen somewhat-of-a-tutorial for it but I want to know if anyone has actually done with before and does it work.
ShadowYin-Yang is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-06-2009, 03:37 AM   #1532
Kell-chan
Confirmed Bachelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowYin-Yang View Post
Yes I'm a girl so the slightly open shirt thing is a problem. I'm thinking of binding vertically. I have seen somewhat-of-a-tutorial for it but I want to know if anyone has actually done with before and does it work.
If you mean this thread: http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=15709

Then yes, it absolutely works. I'm not that busty, but it took quite a bit of tape to get me flattened...then again, I didn't buy the heavy duty for fear of pain. (It's actually not as bad as I imagined.) My best results were from using the tape in tandem with a sports bra. I guess my advice would be to buy several rolls of medical/sports tape, a bottle of mineral oil, and experiment.

How I wish Zelos didn't wear such a low-cut shirt... :P
Kell-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #1533
Kell-chan
Confirmed Bachelor

Okay, guys, I need some more advice. :P

We're just about done with the Wonder Chef's giant fork - we used porous foam and gesso a la this thread: http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.ph...highlight=foam

It looks great, but it's a touch heavier than expected, and we're a little concerned on how to secure it to the base. The base is very thick cardboard tubing, so it's nice and hollow. We've thought of things involving expanding foam or wooden poles running through the fork down into the base...but I thought I'd ask before doing anything drastic. Any ideas?
Unread 08-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #1534
comelucky
mumma's girl

hurray for tales cosplays! i'm doing a natalia (abyss) cosplay in 2010, and my sister is doing anise. we've basically got everything worked out, except i'm not sure where to buy a wig suitable for anise. any suggestions?

there's nothing you can say, love
to get me out of here.
so leave me please, love,
before i become your only fear.
comelucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2009, 04:18 PM   #1535
Kell-chan
Confirmed Bachelor

I'm kind of new to wig styling, but as I understand it's difficult to put ponytails in. Knowing that, I'd almost think it would be best to get a wig and style the longer bits of her bangs and then attach each ponytail separately. You might try posting in the wig forum...those guys helped me out so many times when I was doing my Decus and Genis wigs.
Unread 08-06-2009, 04:53 PM   #1536
Posiee-Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by comelucky View Post
hurray for tales cosplays! i'm doing a natalia (abyss) cosplay in 2010, and my sister is doing anise. we've basically got everything worked out, except i'm not sure where to buy a wig suitable for anise. any suggestions?
as far as pigtailed wigs go, I know it's pretty difficult to do. A friend of mine had to do it for a presea wig and it was pretty difficult. The innocent on amphigory is pre-pigtailed, so you'd just have to straighten it with hot water, but the bangs on that are notoriously thick. You might be better off with detachable pigtails. I'm not sure, never done either.
Cornelia (Code Geass)- 0%

active cosplays:
Natalia Luzu Kimlasca Lanvaldear (Tales of the Abyss)
Norma Beatty (Tales of Legendia)
Ty Lee (Avatar: the Last Airbender)

Attending:
Kumoricon 09
Sakuracon 09
Posiee-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2009, 03:22 PM   #1537
lynnafred
The Pioneer of Crumpets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naudae View Post
Hmmm...I see.
I can probably put the shackles together by just making kind of fabric cuffs with velcro or something(wondering if that's a good idea?) Since I'm not a seamster/seamstress/whatever it's called, I'll likely just buy a regular pair of pants(but should I get slacks or jeans or what?!), and that shirt....dear God! That shirt is going to be he.....er....trouble....
If it were me, I'd be looking for pants a little less heavy than jeans...something more like what cargo pants are made out of. That cotton blend is lightweight yet durable and is very, very comfortable to wear. And to top it all off, it comes in a freakishly large assortment of colors.

And the shirt looks more menacing than it is, I think. I'd get something a little form fitting, not too much, and just go from there. Chop it off halfway, hem accordingly, and cut maybe a one inch strip out of each sleeve before hemming that and putting the grommets in it so that it can functionally lace.

I'm not too sure about the shackles or the greaves, though, because I've never had to make my own props before. This'll be my first year for that. Trial and error, though...that's the method I'm using. XD

Definite Cosplays 2011:
I have no idea what I'm doing anymore... ._.

Feel free to add me on facebook! (Just let me know who you are so I don't o_O)
lynnafred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2009, 01:04 AM   #1538
ShadowYin-Yang
JRPG Obsessed

Quote:
Then yes, it absolutely works. I'm not that busty, but it took quite a bit of tape to get me flattened...then again, I didn't buy the heavy duty for fear of pain. (It's actually not as bad as I imagined.) My best results were from using the tape in tandem with a sports bra. I guess my advice would be to buy several rolls of medical/sports tape, a bottle of mineral oil, and experiment.

How I wish Zelos didn't wear such a low-cut shirt... :P
This is probably a stupid question: But where would I buy mineral oil?

Oh jeez don't remind me lol! Zelos is also on my list of Tales cosplays!

AS for the giant fork, I was thinking of putting things inside the tube like the the wires maybe but I'm no expert in the making props area so maybe you shouldn't listen to me...
Unread 08-08-2009, 02:48 AM   #1539
Kell-chan
Confirmed Bachelor

Quote:
This is probably a stupid question: But where would I buy mineral oil?
Any drug store...baby oil works just as well.

And yay, other Zelos cosplayers!
Unread 08-08-2009, 07:51 PM   #1540
Naudae
Azure Angelic Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnafred View Post
If it were me, I'd be looking for pants a little less heavy than jeans...something more like what cargo pants are made out of. That cotton blend is lightweight yet durable and is very, very comfortable to wear. And to top it all off, it comes in a freakishly large assortment of colors.

And the shirt looks more menacing than it is, I think. I'd get something a little form fitting, not too much, and just go from there. Chop it off halfway, hem accordingly, and cut maybe a one inch strip out of each sleeve before hemming that and putting the grommets in it so that it can functionally lace.

I'm not too sure about the shackles or the greaves, though, because I've never had to make my own props before. This'll be my first year for that. Trial and error, though...that's the method I'm using. XD
Something like cargo pants, you said? Hmmm....I'm drawing a blank on exactly what that could be...See, I'm an absolute newbie to making my own outfit, and certain things just kinda fly right over my head. But I digress.

You say "form fitting", but what do you mean by that? Should it be a normal cotton shirt or some kind of underarmor shirt?
Naudae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2009, 11:00 PM   #1541
DawnYuuki
Has Obsessive Tendencies

Long time no post, guys!

I'm not sure if this is allowed, but I'm looking, or rather my group's Van is looking, to commission a wig to be made for him sort of last-minute.

'Anyone experienced in wig making wanna take on the mighty ponytail of Vandesdelca? XD

Please reply or pm me or even e-mail me at ladylukefonfabre@live.com if you're interested. The only request is that we can be quoted a price soon and have the wig by AnimeFest (labor day weekend).

Thanks! <3
Arche Klein (Tales of Phantasia)
Richter Abend (Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World)
Cho Hakkai (Saiyuki)
Howl Pendragon (Howl's Moving Castle)
]

DawnYuuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2009, 08:05 PM   #1542
lynnafred
The Pioneer of Crumpets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naudae View Post
Something like cargo pants, you said? Hmmm....I'm drawing a blank on exactly what that could be...See, I'm an absolute newbie to making my own outfit, and certain things just kinda fly right over my head. But I digress.

You say "form fitting", but what do you mean by that? Should it be a normal cotton shirt or some kind of underarmor shirt?
Yeah, something stretchy like Under Armour would work really well for Regal. It's tough to sew, because it's stretchy, but you could get away with a more T-shirt like material just fine. Just make sure it's fitted to you pretty well, because Regal's shirt is crazy fitted.

Cargo pants are made of a durable kind of lightweight cotton - less heavy than denim or slacks, and not as soft as the cotton that a lot of other pants are made out of. It's not scratchy or stiff, it just stands up to a LOT of abuse. I'm really grasping at how to describe it, but it's what most of my cargo pants (and skirts) are made out of. If you go to any Target or American Eagle and feel the cargo pants there, you'll know what I'm talking about. I wish I could help you out more. =/

Definite Cosplays 2011:
I have no idea what I'm doing anymore... ._.

Feel free to add me on facebook! (Just let me know who you are so I don't o_O)
lynnafred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2009, 02:47 AM   #1543
ShadowYin-Yang
JRPG Obsessed

Quote:
Any drug store...baby oil works just as well.

And yay, other Zelos cosplayers!
Oh okay thanks!!

Zelos FTW! I may do his Naccisist(i don't know how to spell it>.<) outfit too!
Unread 08-12-2009, 02:36 AM   #1544
Posiee-Chan

hey guys, I finished my Norma wig and I used christmas ornaments like you guys suggested and it turned out pretty good! I've got a pic in my gallery if you want to see. more progress pics on the way, hopefully!
Cornelia (Code Geass)- 0%

active cosplays:
Natalia Luzu Kimlasca Lanvaldear (Tales of the Abyss)
Norma Beatty (Tales of Legendia)
Ty Lee (Avatar: the Last Airbender)

Attending:
Kumoricon 09
Sakuracon 09
Posiee-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2009, 03:27 PM   #1545
TillyMunson

My friends and I were thinking of doing their "formal" costumes for the Ball at Anime Expo next year. We've got a pretty big group (Mithos, Presea, Sheena, Lloyd, Colette, Yuan, Martel, Genis, and maybe a Raine). So I think it'd be awesome. If you're gonna do it in time for AX 2010 and are going to go, let us know, okay? It'd be great to meet up! ^^

Quote:
Oh okay thanks!!

Zelos FTW! I may do his Naccisist(i don't know how to spell it>.<) outfit too!

Never Resign yourself to Fate
Even if Cry and Anger
It's so Powerful you can't Resist
Unfair but feel top Pleasure
The Law of Love.
(Gravitation)
TillyMunson is offline   Reply With Quote