Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > "Tales of" Series

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-29-2009, 01:41 PM   #1591
her_oathkeeper
Sordid innocence

Geez, it's been a while since I have been here. Well, I never did finish Arietta because I bought a fail pink wig. The fibers were stringy and tangled with every movement. Pure nightmare.

For the Raine cosplayer, there's a double bias tape method posted somewhere on these forums. Or you can just PM other Raine cosplayers. I think the fabric needs to be medium/heavy stiff fabric, 'cause it stands that way.

My brother and I are contemplating cosplaying together, since he is Genis' age and they're pretty similar. I don't know if I want to be Raine, though. Although Martel [not the goddess] would suit me better. I don't see too many Mithos either, ; w; I dunno which I should decide on.
her_oathkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-03-2009, 06:20 PM   #1592
Plum Blossom
the banana

It would be adorable if you were Raine, but I think Mithos would work too xD

Ahh, it's been a while since I've been on this thread... And I added another project to my unending list of people I want to cosplay and that's Pascal from Graces. Her hair, HER HAIR is amazing and it doesn't look that complicated either 8D

love song lesson - february 3
( ittoki otoya - uta no prince-sama )

anime detour - april 19~21
( munakata reisi - k, hayato - uta no prince-sama, ryugamine mikado - durarara!! )

anime midwest - july 5~7
( isana yashiro - k, munakata reisi - k )
Plum Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 04:46 PM   #1593
Ryshili
Black Leopard

I cosplayed as Asch back at Fanime, and my wife wants to be Luke. Having a few issues, wondering if any fellow cosplayers might know something? I was looking around for most of it, but just decided to at least leave my inquery here.

Asch:
1. Wig - His wig is tangled really badly thanks to strong wind. I used the Motions Oil-Sheen spray on it... though it's still not untangled even after lots of gentle brushing. Just wondering if there's anything else I can do.

2. Recolor - Also, "markings" on his outfit. I admit I had to get this done for me, but I'm miffed they used a yellow instead of the game-correct silver lining. I'm just wondering what I could do to color it grey. The fabric is vinyl or pleather - can't tell.

3. Falling Gloves and "Bootcovers" - They won't stay up. Moreso on bootcovers, as I can't find any boots I can wear, so I just wore pants to keep them up. Should I just dedicate black pants to the cosplay and sew on clasps/buttons to the pants and inside of the bootcovers? Or would this be a poor idea

Luke:
Belt and Buckle - We're a bit confused what to do with his gloves and belt. We have fabric for the belt and a belt buckle, but don't really know how to get his round belt buckle to be on there. We were thinking paperclay and somehow to attach?

Weapons:
Total newb to weaponry. I have seem foam and such. Just wondering what other people have used that have WORKED.

My apologies if this has been answered before.

Anime Expo '11
Yaoi con '11
FURther Confusion '12
Fanime '12

http://ryshili.deviantart.com/
Ryshili is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 03:54 AM   #1594
Sakura Efreet
Meep...!

Hi everyone!

I am planning on having a Tear cosplay done in time for Ohayocon at the end of January. I'm having the costume commissioned (I really do not have the skills, nor the equipment, to do that costume justice), but I am determined to make her staff on my own. I don't have any experience in prop making. This will be the first costume I'm trying to pull off with such an important prop.

Can any of you recommend a good starting point for me?

I live in Ohio and I try to catch every con in this state and the surrounding states (when money allows).
I have been cosplaying since the age of 9, and when I'm not cosplaying...
I'm a college student and an Irish dancer. ;]
Sakura Efreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 08:51 AM   #1595
Lacey

I'm planning on attempting a 1st outfit Dist the Rose costume fairly soon-ish, giving myself a May deadline. There are a couple of nearly finished projects ahead of this one, but I'm still planning things out and pattern-hunting now. Most everything I think I can figure out, but I haven't got a clue how to do that petal collar. I was thinking of either entirely using craft foam (working it to give a nifty almost vinyl look to it) or covering craft foam in fabric and then breaking out the fabric paints. I'm not sure that either of these are the best way to go about things, though. Any advice for this tricky bit of costume?
Lacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #1596
Posiee-Chan

@Lacey- My friend (Mizuu-chan) and I both went with the craft foam covered in fabric option and then glued them together with fabric glue. If works okay, but the collar's rather heavy so it flops over a lot. I always wanted to try boning, but I dunno if that'd work at all... well, good luck!
Cornelia (Code Geass)- 0%

active cosplays:
Natalia Luzu Kimlasca Lanvaldear (Tales of the Abyss)
Norma Beatty (Tales of Legendia)
Ty Lee (Avatar: the Last Airbender)

Attending:
Kumoricon 09
Sakuracon 09
Posiee-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 05:18 PM   #1597
Lacey

The flopping over was what I was afraid of. I wonder if some kind of wire frame in the "petals" would help prevent that. Thanks for the input on the foam and fabric method!
Unread 10-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #1598
Posiee-Chan

yeah, it wasn't so much that the craft foam was floppy, it's just that it was heavy. We put two layers of craft foam and one layer of this weird stiff gutter stuff inbetween and I think if we'd left it at one layer of craft foam it might've worked better.

active cosplays:

Attending:
Kumoricon 09
Sakuracon 09
Unread 10-12-2009, 06:05 PM   #1599
Lacey

In that case, I might make an attempt with craft foam and the stiffest interfacing I can find.
Unread 10-12-2009, 11:13 PM   #1600
Ion
Lyrical gangster

@ Lacey: just thought of this, you could use boning or wire in the collar to give it strength along with the other things you proposed using. It'd be a lightweight yet sturdy solution.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Lind - Ah My Goddess | Elsa - Frozen (rework costume) | Tiki - Dragon's Crown | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2009, 04:47 AM   #1601
Lacey

Thanks! When I'm ready to start, I might try using boning to help shore things up. Never used boning before, so it'll be fun to experiment with it and figure it out.
Unread 10-30-2009, 09:14 AM   #1602
IcyTempest

Hello! I'm new to the forums and want to start out by saying how amazing your costumes are, I've looked at pictures of loads of them! It's awesome to see so much Tales love <3

Anyways, I plan on cosplaying as Sophie from Tales of Graces in July and I was wondering if I could buy the grey bodysuit-type thing or if I'd have to make it? I've seen gray bodysuits for sale that cover the whole body, but none that cover all but the head. Ref: http://gallery.abyssalchronicles.com...2/Image_63.png

Thanks!

I also have no clue how to do her arm...things, but I'll think over if I'm going to bother doing them before I worry about them.
IcyTempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2009, 01:40 PM   #1603
Posiee-Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyTempest View Post
Hello! I'm new to the forums and want to start out by saying how amazing your costumes are, I've looked at pictures of loads of them! It's awesome to see so much Tales love <3

Anyways, I plan on cosplaying as Sophie from Tales of Graces in July and I was wondering if I could buy the grey bodysuit-type thing or if I'd have to make it? I've seen gray bodysuits for sale that cover the whole body, but none that cover all but the head. Ref: http://gallery.abyssalchronicles.com...2/Image_63.png

Thanks!

I also have no clue how to do her arm...things, but I'll think over if I'm going to bother doing them before I worry about them.
you can certainly find a grey unitard on one of the many dancewear websites (discountdance, dancewear solutions etc.) although, you won't be able to find one that's ribbed like that. You'd have to paint on the stripes or find a way to add texture if you wanted it to look like that.

active cosplays:

Attending:
Kumoricon 09
Sakuracon 09
Unread 11-11-2009, 05:43 PM   #1604
Terranell
Princess Complex

Ryshili, I may have a few suggestions that may help you with your Luke and Asch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryshili View Post
Asch:
1. Wig - His wig is tangled really badly thanks to strong wind. I used the Motions Oil-Sheen spray on it... though it's still not untangled even after lots of gentle brushing. Just wondering if there's anything else I can do.
Sometimes, there is no saving an extremely tangled wig. However, I have found that my most successful detangling method is soap and water. Submerge your wig in a bathtub filled with lukewarm water and shampoo the wig, gently working the larger tangles out with a wide-tooth brush. Let it drip dry then attempt detangling it with a suitable spray in sections--going piece by piece is much better for the synthetic fibers! (My favorite is the brandywine spray found here http://www.amphigory.com/wig-detangler-combs.html but you may be able to find a similar one at your local beauty supply store.)
Quote:
Luke:
Belt and Buckle - We're a bit confused what to do with his gloves and belt. We have fabric for the belt and a belt buckle, but don't really know how to get his round belt buckle to be on there. We were thinking paperclay and somehow to attach?
When I did my Stahn belt, I bought a huge circular belt buckle and made the belt backwards--the buckle upside-down. I was able to glue my "buckle design," if you will, to the underside of the buckle, then pulled the end of the belt from underneath and velcroed it shut, as obviously the buckle won't function properly. It's kind of difficult to explain, but that should at least help stir up an idea.

Quote:
Weapons:
Total newb to weaponry. I have seem foam and such. Just wondering what other people have used that have WORKED.
I'm not too knowledgable on this subject either, but I'm experimenting with modifying a plastic toy sword using wire mesh, paperclay, and paint. I'll probably seal the work with resin if it's in the budget. (If not, then I'll settle for modge podge.) No idea how well this will work so if you're brave enough to experiment, have at it!

For Sakura Efreet:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura Efreet View Post
Hi everyone!

I am planning on having a Tear cosplay done in time for Ohayocon at the end of January. I'm having the costume commissioned (I really do not have the skills, nor the equipment, to do that costume justice), but I am determined to make her staff on my own. I don't have any experience in prop making. This will be the first costume I'm trying to pull off with such an important prop.

Can any of you recommend a good starting point for me?
Again, I'm not very savy in the ways of fake weaponry but I figured some response is better than none. A staff seems a little more simple to me than a sword... you could probably build one from scratch starting with a dowel rod and cardboard, building on top of it with a very lightweight airdrying clay, then paint accordingly. Another idea is to find a curtain rod that resembles one of Tear's staffs, then experiment with other home-dec supplies to attach the decorative piece at the end. Just a few suggestions.

For Lacey:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
I'm planning on attempting a 1st outfit Dist the Rose costume fairly soon-ish, giving myself a May deadline. There are a couple of nearly finished projects ahead of this one, but I'm still planning things out and pattern-hunting now. Most everything I think I can figure out, but I haven't got a clue how to do that petal collar. I was thinking of either entirely using craft foam (working it to give a nifty almost vinyl look to it) or covering craft foam in fabric and then breaking out the fabric paints. I'm not sure that either of these are the best way to go about things, though. Any advice for this tricky bit of costume?
Craft foam is a wonderful thing. I noticed you mentioned a wire-frame method and I'd like to say I know from experience that it DOES work wonders, the entire base of my Rozalin wings are made from a craft foam and wire frame. Sewing a fabric casing over top works extremely well. You could also probably get away with using a very stiff interfacing, then starch the ever living hell out of the petals when you're done painting them. Of course, combining the methods might work too as I saw mentioned--I'd be curious to hear the results of that.

Whew! That took a lot longer than I expected. XD I hope my suggestions help out! I like seeing this thread active.
Unread 11-12-2009, 11:04 AM   #1605
Devkyu

Right now I'm attempting to make a pattern for a Cheagle plushie. My friend is going as Ion to Otakon and he requires a Mieu to drag around (and for Sync or Arietta to promptly beat him across the head with if he fails at being a good Fon Master). Probably the hardest part will be working with the markings on his face and the ear tips. I'd prefer to just iron the face fluff on, but that particular fabric would kind of melt if I tried to applique it.

Plushies are evil.
Devkyu is offline   Reply With Quote