Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > "Tales of" Series

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 65 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-12-2007, 12:22 AM   #46
moonfall

Wish I could go to Otakon, but Boston is too far. AWA is the biggest one in the area, and it's still 5 hours to Atlanta. I'm just glad to see any Tales cosplayers around here.
Raine Sage (Tales of Symphonia)
Grell Sutcliff (Kuroshitsuji, butler outfit)
Rose Bride Utena (Revolutionary Girl Utena, need new wig)
Twilight Sparkle's Gala Dress (My Little Pony: FiM)
moonfall is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2007, 12:29 PM   #47
Elemental
I do that photo thing...

I have a question for all you Tales fans-

This is driving me nuts. Ion's hair: Why has every cosplayer gone for green? Is there official art I'm missing, or a manga that's considered absolute? Because I'm playing the game, and I've looked at the art, and Ion's hair is grey/black, with maybe a hint of green tint, but certainly not emerled or lake green, which is what most people use.
Considering I may be cosplaying him, I keep looking at black wigs- but the 'everyone else' issue really makes me wonder if I have it wrong....
Elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2007, 01:13 PM   #48
Zelos_Wilder
Time to lose some weight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemental View Post

This is driving me nuts. Ion's hair: Why has every cosplayer gone for green? Is there official art I'm missing, or a manga that's considered absolute? Because I'm playing the game, and I've looked at the art, and Ion's hair is grey/black, with maybe a hint of green tint, but certainly not emerled or lake green, which is what most people use.
Considering I may be cosplaying him, I keep looking at black wigs- but the 'everyone else' issue really makes me wonder if I have it wrong....
It's a dark-grayish-green. Thus people use green because it stands out more. The Ion in my group is going to use a Jade-color wig. In my opinion anyway.
http://www.abyssalchronicles.com/theabyss_files/ion.gif

It could be taken as black or green. Just as dark-purple can be used for black.
Zelos_Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2007, 01:38 PM   #49
Elemental
I do that photo thing...

That makes sense. And searching tells me that green wigs really only come in one shade, so it's feasible for people to go for the brighter tone. I think I'll stick with the black though. ^_^
Elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2007, 02:25 PM   #50
Varna
Rachel

Quote:
That makes sense. And searching tells me that green wigs really only come in one shade, so it's feasible for people to go for the brighter tone. I think I'll stick with the black though. ^_^
You might be able to go over the wig with a green sharpie just to get the green tint? I've never tried tinting wigs though, just coloring from white to something else XD; But it sounds like it could work...
Varna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2007, 03:03 PM   #51
Grey Finch
Finch

Quote:

One of the reasons is probably just availability. Dark green is a much more common color in wigs than dark grey with sage green tints (Oh wouldn't that be nice and convenient *o*) I think it also depends on personal interpretation. I've seen fanart of Ion with actual dark green hair, not that integrated kind of mix. So maybe preference has to do with it too? :>

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei-chaka View Post
You might be able to go over the wig with a green sharpie just to get the green tint? I've never tried tinting wigs though, just coloring from white to something else XD; But it sounds like it could work...
I don't think that would work too well on a black wig though D: there's no way to lighten a wig, and black is about as dark as you can get xD Although I've heard of people using black sharpie on dark blue and dark green to get that effect.

In-Progress:
TBD
Next Con:
ALA 2015

Deviantart : Website
Grey Finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2007, 04:53 PM   #52
Lothlin

I've actually been going through hell trying to dye a wig for Ion (for some freaking reason I can't get the dye to coat it evenly. I'm just going to resort to a bowl and swish it around, spray bottles apparantly hate me.) I just wasn't happy at all with any of the green wigs that I could find.

But, anyway, in my first attempt, the bit of the wig that DID come out nicely looked damn nice for him. I'm using an Angela 750 in color #51 (the wig is getting chopped up so much once I get the dye to take properly XD), and using FW ink in Sap Green. I'll post pictures once I get it dried and brushed out.

I'm going to end up doing the same thing for Sync when my roomie gets around to order her wig. I just hope I don't run out of ink, I've gone over it enough that I've used most of the bottle. ><
Lothlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2007, 09:58 PM   #53
Rinkun
Fareigner to Old Country

The other thread disappeared? Awe XD

I know I'm going to try for Ion for next year. Hopefully by AN. I know I'll be lugging my Philia Felice (ToD) and Jay (ToL) to some of the cons next year as well, seeing as I wanna fix some things to both.

So, uuuhh, who is invading Katsucon? It's coming up quickly and I know a few people I talked to at this past Otakon was talking about another gathering.
The mighty fall at last, they are as dust before the wind.....
Rinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2007, 11:16 PM   #54
Arei
Eater of Souls

I plan on crossplaying as Asch but Sync's character design is growing on me. So hard to choose. The only problem I have is that I can't find many good pics of either of them.
Arei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2007, 11:24 PM   #55
Lothlin

I think there's more concept art of Asch than Sync- I know our group's Asch has basically every piece of art and concept imaginable from the series, maybe I could poke her into posting some of the Asch stuff (Heck, I know she reads this thread, she'll probably see it herself. )

You can always go look at the in-game character viewer.
Unread 10-13-2007, 11:30 PM   #56
kalajessta
Chevalier

Mn, I attempted to make Luke's gloves the other day and I'm having difficulty with them. >>

Benviolo (Romeo x Juliet); Guy Cecil - Hopeless Dreamer (Tales of the Abyss); Rossiu (Gurren-Lagann); Pegasus (Yu-Gi-Oh)

2008 Cons:
A and G Ohio, TekkoshoCon, Anime Central, Anime Expo, Otakon, Ikasu Con, Matsuri Con, Tsubasa Con, Youma Con, AnimeUSA
kalajessta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2007, 11:32 PM   #57
Lothlin

What kind of problems are you having? I might be able to throw some help at you XD
Unread 10-13-2007, 11:33 PM   #58
kalajessta
Chevalier

Quote:

I choose green partially for when I cosplayed Ion because it matches the outfit well, let alone it's easy to find. Here's a pic of when I wore Ion at Otakon this year:

http://www.cosplaylab.com/cosplayers...stumeid=162169

Ion's hanging up in my closet for now. I wore him for three conventions and now it's time to work on Luke.

Benviolo (Romeo x Juliet); Guy Cecil - Hopeless Dreamer (Tales of the Abyss); Rossiu (Gurren-Lagann); Pegasus (Yu-Gi-Oh)

2008 Cons:
A and G Ohio, TekkoshoCon, Anime Central, Anime Expo, Otakon, Ikasu Con, Matsuri Con, Tsubasa Con, Youma Con, AnimeUSA
Unread 10-13-2007, 11:34 PM   #59
kalajessta
Chevalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlin View Post
What kind of problems are you having? I might be able to throw some help at you XD
One, it's mostly with the trim and then the "belt-like" objects on his gloves on his glove. I don't know if I should attach it or not or what not is going on with it.

2008 Cons:
Unread 10-13-2007, 11:40 PM   #60
Lothlin

*pulls up reference photos*

Huh. As far as I can tell, there's only one real connection point for the belt-things- it's near the buckle, on the thumb side of the gloves. The rest of it just kind of poofs out with not much in the way of attachment- Maybe put some sort of stiffener, interfacing, whatever in the belt-bit, attach it near the buckle, and just make both sides so you can loosen them or tighten them like a belt? That's probably how they are, it looks like the right cuff is looser than the left cuff.

The trim is just edging though, unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.