Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Metrocon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-29-2007, 04:43 PM   #31
VampiricMosaic
Performances Every Week

Yay! And I also heard the hotel is fun as hell. Hopefully they have breakfast there ^.^

Unread 10-29-2007, 08:22 PM   #32
fadingforest
MYV Rocks! (Yeah!)

Yes, the official hotel has free breakfast. And it really is a blast. You don't have to look hard for a party and people are amazing and invite whoever. ^-^ If you can afford to get a room at the hotel, I definitely suggest it. Plus, considering it's connected, it makes travel a LOT easier.

~Miyavi cosplayer for life!~

~*MYV Rocks!*~

fadingforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2007, 07:14 PM   #33
MishAndJon
The One Couple to Rule th

Hope we can get an answer here... We're looking to do a skit at the upcoming Metrocon. To enter, is a prerecorded skit required? Can we use a prerecorded audio?

I've gone to every Metrocon, but have missed the last two years of the skits. So more or less, just wondering.
Unread 10-31-2007, 09:14 AM   #34
Aleera
Master Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca_sora View Post
I've always heard mixed reviews about Metro. A good friend went year before last and she wasn't impressed at all. I've gone to AFO the past two years and think it's the best, so I'm curious when people claim Metro is better. I asked a family who were in line with me for VA signings at AFO 7, and they said that while they enjoyed Metro as "ok", AFO is better.
AFO used to be my favorite from 02-06, but last year the hotel screwed up a lot of people's bills. And AFO hasn't changed much, imho. I've never had problems with my Metrocon experience that have ruined the fun. Buy / get a free map of Tampa. I think that's a huge part what makes people hate the experience is getting lost. And Miami parking, that means you will spend time looking for a spot in Tampa, it might even be slightly worse.

@ Vampiric: Convention center is great to look at and explore. PM me how to hook up Windows machine for Idol, Foos was such a huge help this year. And your Mom can talk to mine about the area, if you want a better idea of what to expect. My 2005 bill came to $250 for hotel, which I paid (I forget but parking is $8 a day at least in the hotel bill). I'm sure it's probably more now. Get a map of Tampa near the convention center, since you have to turn quick and it's confusing the first time without one. Your weekend pass is probably another $35 or $45 depending what tier you prepay on.
Unread 11-09-2007, 02:18 PM   #35
fadingforest
MYV Rocks! (Yeah!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MishAndJon View Post
Hope we can get an answer here... We're looking to do a skit at the upcoming Metrocon. To enter, is a prerecorded skit required? Can we use a prerecorded audio?

I've gone to every Metrocon, but have missed the last two years of the skits. So more or less, just wondering.
No, a prerecorded skit is not needed. What IS needed, however, is to show up at the cosplay contest registration REALLY early and hope you don't get cut off by people ahead of you. I know me and a few friends tried to enter for our third year and didn't get a chance because we got there too late.

Check up on the site. The rules and guidelines should be up.

www.metroconventions.com ... in case anyone needs it. XDD

~*MYV Rocks!*~

Last edited by fadingforest : 11-10-2007 at 02:49 PM.
Unread 11-09-2007, 08:16 PM   #36
VampiricMosaic
Performances Every Week

My friends and I are also thinking of entering the Anime Idol compition. Does anyone have any feedback on how they think that goes? Is it entertaining? ^.^
Unread 11-10-2007, 02:48 PM   #37
fadingforest
MYV Rocks! (Yeah!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampiricMosaic View Post
My friends and I are also thinking of entering the Anime Idol compition. Does anyone have any feedback on how they think that goes? Is it entertaining? ^.^
As someone who has performed in Anime Idol... It's fun. It really is. You just have to get past the LOVELY sound problems and the LOVELY microphones. That and it really favors Jpop as opposed to Jrock. I know, it was three Jrock singers against twelve Jpoppers two years ago. -_- Last year, it was just all Jpop (the one Jrock contestant didn't show up.)

So while it IS a fun experience, and I will probably be entering once again, it's been better in the past. Hopefully this year will go better than last year.

If you want to know about entering, PM me.

~*MYV Rocks!*~

Unread 11-15-2007, 03:20 AM   #38
MishAndJon
The One Couple to Rule th

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadingforest View Post
No, a prerecorded skit is not needed. What IS needed, however, is to show up at the cosplay contest registration REALLY early and hope you don't get cut off by people ahead of you. I know me and a few friends tried to enter for our third year and didn't get a chance because we got there too late.

Check up on the site. The rules and guidelines should be up.

www.metroconventions.com ... in case anyone needs it. XDD
Thanks for the heads up. I have done skits before, and I know exactly how the lines are (especially those last minute skits) - I emailed Metrocon about it and they never responded. I started a topic in another forum about the prerecorded audio, and turns out most prefer it that way. Thus I've got about 75% done. Thanks for the response though.
Unread 11-18-2007, 06:55 PM   #39
fadingforest
MYV Rocks! (Yeah!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MishAndJon View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I have done skits before, and I know exactly how the lines are (especially those last minute skits) - I emailed Metrocon about it and they never responded. I started a topic in another forum about the prerecorded audio, and turns out most prefer it that way. Thus I've got about 75% done. Thanks for the response though.
The skit that won best humour three years ago was prerecorded audio. As a theatre major irl, though, I know that my friends and I can project. So we usually don't have much of a problem. >.<

Good luck though! GAH! I mean break a leg, break a leg. XDD

~*MYV Rocks!*~

Unread 11-18-2007, 07:38 PM   #40
Korinchan
Not a bumblebee

I've never been to Metrocon, but it's definately on my list for next year. Hopefully I can make it! I have a feeling I'll be going alone...-_-

Friday - Tomoyo - Tsubasa-RC, Toph - A:TLA
Saturday - Cephalos - Monster Hunter concept art, Goku - Dragon Ball
Sunday - Washu - Tenchi Muyo
Korinchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2007, 08:00 PM   #41
VampiricMosaic
Performances Every Week

So what is everyone's sudgestions on the latest to book a room at Metro's hotel? I would like to have a heads up for me and all my friends when it comes to saving up money and stuff. ^.^
And is pre-registeration really closed? Because if so I'm uber sad and my budget it gonna die! T.T

Last edited by VampiricMosaic : 11-19-2007 at 06:26 PM.
VampiricMosaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2007, 02:09 PM   #42
Aleera
Master Thief

@ VampiricMosaic: That's 2007 prereg dear. 2008 isn't up yet.

http://www.cosplaylab.com/events.asp will have the dates up when it is closer for the different tiers and the Metrocon website also. It will say Tier 1, that's when you want to paypal, if you can afford to in 08. Tier 2 + 3 increase in $5 incremients I believe. Prepaying beats the at the door rate assuming your attending the convention is certain. metroconventions.com is going to be my homepage in early 08 likely.

Hotel:
If you can afford the official it will cut down on your commuting time. My bill for the 2006 official hotel (old) for 2 nights came to $250 after taxes and parking. 2 nights for 2007 would cost more than that. And there are cheaper places to stay nearby, don't hesitate to ask my Mom which areas in Tampa are good on the cheaper end since we have stayed in both and where to eat etc. I would recommend the closer to the hotel cuts down on the time you spend getting to the con at the convention center and finding parking (worse than Miami is how I describe Tampa parking). Parking will also run around 10 a day or less if you are commuting and get a meter. Better to have enough money handy than not, plan what you can best afford. I'm working atm and I should start saving for next year's con season come to think of it.

Last edited by Aleera : 11-20-2007 at 02:19 PM.
Aleera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2007, 04:01 PM   #43
VampiricMosaic
Performances Every Week

Thanks alot for the answers Aleera. I need someone toanswer all of my crazy questions! ^.^
Unread 11-23-2007, 09:51 PM   #44
SuthrnBelleChan
The Migratory Bird SIMCA

I'll be going since I live in Tampa now lol, i'm acctually not too far from the con so it'll be easy to drive in. I'm not planning a whole lotta cosplay but i've got one big one planned that i hope I can finish in time. And also much like a ton of other people it seems i'll be trying out for the chess match

2010 Convention Plans:
MTAC - Nashville, TN
PersaCon - Huntsville, AL
Dragon*Con - Atlanta, GA
AWA - Atlanta, GA

2010 Cosplay Plans:
Queen Maya from Kamen Rider Kiva
Female Sheep XIAH from DBSK
Ringo from Air Gear
SuthrnBelleChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2007, 08:15 PM   #45
sweet_magic
Wind User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temari of Suna View Post
I've never been to Metrocon, but it's definately on my list for next year. Hopefully I can make it! I have a feeling I'll be going alone...-_-
Me too. Not a 100% sure if I'm gonna be able to go, but if I do I'll be by myself most likely. -_-; Hotel price is going to suck unless I'm able to room with someone.
My Cosplay Media Group
Facebook- Project Kaleidoscope
DeviantArt- Project Kaleidoscope
sweet_magic is offline   Reply With Quote