Bleach: Zaraki Kenpachi :-D

Money = no issue
Time = one month
exp. = none

Here is a basic picture of him:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../c4/Zaraki.jpg

Here's a basic picture of his outfit that you can buy anywhere on the web:
http://www.mooncostumes.com/image/14841

I really don't want to settle for less. I know making my own from trial and error I could probably create what I needed, the way I want. But I lack time. I want this for future AnimeCons, but I really want it for Halloween. One month doesn't seem like enough time to do what I want. I want it done right the first time.

Basically it all comes down to is time and experience.

Basically I have to buy everything off the internet.....yes it sucks, but I cannot make my own...yet anyways. The wig is most difficult, I can buy one styled. I already had a quote from a random wig shop. They were goign to charge 100 bucks...bleh but oh well. its not like i don't have the money for it anyways, the only wig I've seen at all that looked perfect was in the "Bleach Musical" It looked perfect! So i'm worried I'll pay for it and won't look like I want it to.
Clothing I'll have to buy and kinda do little touch ups on it. But here's the kicker. Becuase he's supposed to be hella tall. I want to make stilts. Pretty much I have a design I've been thinking about. I'll take a pair of old shoes and figure out a way to attach stilts to it. Only about a foot tall. I read he's 6' 7", but he looks taller and I want to be about 7 foot so 1 foot. Also I was going to make the bottom of the stilts into a rough shape of a foot. So that way I can put the "2 toe" socks and sandals on.
The sword. His sword is all dented and such. This I need slight help on. Here's my idea: get a piece of wood(not sure what type) and cut the shape of his sword out. I should have access to plenty of tools. But I wanted to figure out a way to get the dented look as his sword does. But wood doesn't dent the same way metal does. So I would like suggestions on this too.

he has an eye patch, that's not going to be a problem . I thought about getting yellow eye contacts. When Kenpachi powers up his eyes are yellow along with his spirit power.

Any suggestions or insight would be apprieciated.
RndHotDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-29-2007, 01:36 AM   #2
benihime
Kimono Queen

you seriously don't have to be on stilts! ive seen perfectly good kenpachi's that are around 5'9.

2. i wouldn't buy that from moon costumes. its incredibly inaccurate. the black kimono does NOT have a lining its a seperate shirt.
http://www.qqcosplay.com/BLH/blhelewhw.html

that would be a better costume because the sleeves are torn and such and guess what? it has the eyepatch so you dont have to worry about it
wig too but thats a really nasty wig...

the contacts are a cool idea. do it if you want to spend more money. contacts are rather expensive though and if you buy that costume you'll be spending $172 already on that plus around $100+ for the contacts.. but thats again totally up to you i'm just warning you

WORKING ON
Haruka (idolm@ster 2)

NEXT CONVENTIONS
A-kon in Dallas, TX

WEBSITE
DEVIANTART FACEBOOK
TUMBLR

benihime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2007, 11:41 AM   #3
kimu
merciful kirin, really ;p

Sword: fastest way I can think of and still works well for Kenpachi with quality?
Get a bokken. Preferably one without lots of varnish. And of the softer woods. Sand any varnish off. Add your dents. Prime it, spray paint it silver.
Then you'd need to craft the hilt area on it, and there's a number of approaches you could use to do that part.

And I hate to warn you about project management in general, the theory of the triangle:
Time, money, quality.
And the concept you can't have all three.
Just be prepared that in the rush, you might be sacrificing quality for Halloween. And for Halloween most people are wearing thrown together stuff or throw away stuff anyway. If you want a costume to go into the future with, that is of high quality, consider getting it "close enough to work for Halloween" then keep improving or polishing it after Halloween.

And I'll second to say don't worry about the stilts. It's not always we're the exact height of the character we're cosplaying.
Get something that's proportionally correct to the look of Kenpachi, and you should be fine.
kimu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2007, 04:24 PM   #4
RndHotDog

I suppose your right about kenpachi, but my theory is, if I want to dress like him, I would rather like to know how it feels to look down at everyone :-D Also i've been looking at limebarb.com. It seems like they have some nice things.
RndHotDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2007, 08:49 PM   #5
kimu
merciful kirin, really ;p

aah, well, then, have fun with stilts!
And make sure you have bells in that wig!! Otherwise, it's just not as cool.

Last edited by kimu : 09-29-2007 at 08:54 PM.
kimu is offline   Reply With Quote