Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Fullmetal Alchemist

Unread 09-30-2007, 12:07 AM   #1
Draconargentum
Sanity's no fun

Need Pictures: Lt. Riza Hawkeye from FMA

Howdy, folks. Well, to get to the point...I want to do a FMA cosplay of Lt. Hawkeye, sans coat (sorry, folks, but I'm not that brave, plus its way, WAY too hot where I live) and with her pistol holsters...You know, the leather gunbelt that sits on her shoulders and has the two pistols right up against her ribs. However, I can't seem to find any consistent images of the actual holsters, and Arakawa-san seems to have neglected to draw a back shot of Riza in it...At least, there isn't one in either of the artbooks. Can anyone direct me to a link where I might find a good back shot of this particular accessory?

Also, if anyone knows much about guns, any idea what kind Hawkeye uses, or is it even a real model (I just want to be able to model off the real thing, if it exists)? Here are some pictures:

Thanks, y'all! ^_^
Attached Images
File Type: jpg riza2.jpg (29.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 55.jpg (53.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Riza_Hawkeye.jpg (47.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Riza.jpg (103.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg a92.jpg (81.8 KB, 0 views)

Cosplays Planned for Upcoming Cons
Twilit Messenger (Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)- 15%
Zelos Wilder (Tales of Symphonia, v.2)- 25%

Next Convention
Unknown
Draconargentum is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-30-2007, 12:37 AM   #2
AVAAntares
Sewing = 1/2 (Battle)

TV Animation Artbook 2 has pictures of Riza without her jacket and with the shoulder holster. I don't think it has a full-back shot, though. The configuration is like this: Ou-uO

O is an arm loop
u is a holster
- is two straps -- one running across the top of the shoulders in back, the other running between the narrow ends of each holster. (Look closely here, and you can see it.)

I hope that makes sense. ^_^

When I cosplayed Sniper Riza, I used a model as my reference -- but she has a belt holster there, instead of the shoulder holster. There's also this picture, with no holsters. Just depends on which version you want to do.

www.AndSewingIsHalfTheBattle.com
いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい
"Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it." Maimonides
AVAAntares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2007, 09:18 AM   #3
Draconargentum
Sanity's no fun

O.O

I never thought that you would reply, AVAAntares! *BowBow* I'm actually planning on using your pants and butt-cape tutorial on this, my first female costume (I'm a girl but up to now I've only crossplayed). Plus I, like so many others, think your Ghetto Hakkai and other Saiyuki costumes are awesome (Saiyuki freak). ^_^;

...Ahem...Aaanyway, I figured it was something like that, but I'm not sure about the whole bottom strap. I've seen pictures of Riza with the dual holster where she's moving and it's moving away from her body, like it would if it were only secured over her shoulders and between her shoulderblades, so that when it's flattened out it would look kinda like
O-O
U U
With a holster underneath the arm and bound behind the shouders (using the same key as you).

EDIT: Oh, wait, now I see the bottom strap. It was hiding in the folds of Riza's clothing, almost same color and all. If you hadn't pointed that out, I'd have definitely missed that. M'kay, I think I can build the harness now. Still not sure about the gun models, though. That'll determine the size of the holsters.

Next Convention
Unknown

Last edited by Draconargentum : 09-30-2007 at 09:32 AM.
Unread 10-01-2007, 01:19 AM   #4
AVAAntares
Sewing = 1/2 (Battle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconargentum View Post
O.O

I never thought that you would reply, AVAAntares! *BowBow* I'm actually planning on using your pants and butt-cape tutorial on this, my first female costume (I'm a girl but up to now I've only crossplayed). Plus I, like so many others, think your Ghetto Hakkai and other Saiyuki costumes are awesome (Saiyuki freak). ^_^;
/laugh/ Um, I'm honored, but please don't ascribe any tutorial-related greatness to me! I'm just another generic cosplayer, really. (And I'm glad you enjoyed Ghetto Saiyuki. Some people don't get the joke, so I get strange reactions sometimes...)

I (and other cosplayers, I'm sure) would be interested to see pictures of Riza's holsters when you get them done. Are you going to make them out of leather? Vinyl? Canvas? Let us know how they come out!

"Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it." Maimonides
Unread 10-01-2007, 01:48 AM   #5
LadyHawke78
Open Your Eyes...

Yeah--- AVAAntare's figure is probably the closest thing you'll be able to get to reference of the shoulder-holsters. For some reason, they seem to change in almost EVERY image of them. (Sometimes it is a right-hand draw-- holster under the left arm-- and sometimes it is a double-holster-- esp. in the manga images. And to further complicate things, a lot of the images where she has her jacket off, she isn't even wearing the shoulder holster at all.)

Still haven't managed to make one for myself due to all of the inconsistencies in reference material. If I did, I think that massacring some old belts and random leather objects would work well. I used an old belt for the waist holster, along with some accessories purchased a a gun show...

I have a bunch of pictures without my jacket in my RisingSun album (it was TAMPA, for goodness sakes...)

http://www.risingsun.net/albums/cs87/index.shtml

Albeit, no shoulder holsters. It looks okay, but I REALLY wish I would have figured them out prior to that.

Anime Boston 2011 Guest Relations Division
Green Room Staff

"You know what gets me really hot? Ten thousand tons of molten steel and jet fuel. And soccer."
LadyHawke78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2007, 08:22 AM   #6
Byakuya-sama
The Laughing Man

www.google.com/images

That should be your BEST friend lol. Or Altavista.com. Both are great for finding pictures.

I'm glad you got all the pics you need though
Byakuya-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2007, 08:35 AM   #7
Draconargentum
Sanity's no fun

*Jawdrop at LadyHawke's costume, too*

You realize this means I'm going to have to make a Hawkeye costume as freakishly good as these, right? ;-P

For the holsters, I think I'm going to go with the artbook version, which is a double holster. I really don't want to use vinyl if I can help it (I work at a fabric store and absolutely hate marine vinyl), so maybe I'll find a dead couch and skin it if I can't scrape enough together for half a side of leather.

Hey, LadyHawke, AVAAntares I don't know if you're naturally that blonde, but my own hair is rather darker than that, closer to brown (but by no means a brunette). How'd you guys get so light? Any ideas for temporary dyes?

Next Convention
Unknown

Last edited by Draconargentum : 10-01-2007 at 08:38 AM.
Unread 10-01-2007, 08:47 AM   #8
Byakuya-sama
The Laughing Man

Wow Ladyhawke! He's not kidding, you DO have an amazing costume! My God, you look so perfect. Really, if they made a live action FMA movie, you'd be the one I chose to play it lol.
Byakuya-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2007, 08:51 AM   #9
LadyHawke78
Open Your Eyes...

Thx for the comments on the costume. Freakish-resemblance to an anime character aside, Maboroshi really knows how to hold a good photoshoot, and costume was primarily constructed by a friend of mine, so I need to give them their credit as well.

As for blonde hair, if you are lightening your hair, there is nothing "temporary" you can do apart from a wig. (And wigs are difficult to do with up-done styles like this.) In going lighter, you are essentially stripping color out of your hair. My hair is naturally a light brown/dirty blonde color, and I need to take my hair up about 6 "levels" in order to get it this blonde (I still have some stubborn red highlights in that were obvious under the Tampa sunset in that photoshoot.. grr...)

What I did was experiment with different dyes until I found a color to match my extensions Yes-- the "updo" part of my hair is fake. It's a stringfall purchased from the Cosworx store. My hair is a little past chin-length. I mix my own dye and toners, but I've been dying my hair since high school. I would reccommend getting your hair dyed professionally, and then asking the stylist for tips on how to keep it up. If people are inexperienced, going blonde can be disasterous. You need to be very careful with the developers and toners used in the process.

Anime Boston 2011 Guest Relations Division
Green Room Staff

"You know what gets me really hot? Ten thousand tons of molten steel and jet fuel. And soccer."

Last edited by LadyHawke78 : 10-01-2007 at 08:55 AM.
LadyHawke78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2007, 10:36 AM   #10
Shinteetah
Behavior Analyst. Really.

Quote:
maybe I'll find a dead couch and skin it if I can't scrape enough together for half a side of leather.
Check scraps first! One leather store near us offers their remnants for $5/piece. Some of them are certainly big enough to use for real projects -- that is where AVAAntares' back holster and Ed's first belt came from. :-)

(There's a reason we call it, "No Budget, No Skills, No Problem!")

"...And Sewing Is Half the Battle!" -- photos & tutorials

"Cosplay is good skills for ninja." -- actual quote from my taijutsu sensei!

God is no fonder of intellectual slackers than of any other slackers.... Anyone who is honestly trying to be a Christian will soon find his intelligence being sharpened.
-- C. S. Lewis
Shinteetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2007, 10:51 AM   #11
Shinteetah
Behavior Analyst. Really.

Quote:
Hey, LadyHawke, AVAAntares I don't know if you're naturally that blonde, but my own hair is rather darker than that, closer to brown (but by no means a brunette). How'd you guys get so light? Any ideas for temporary dyes?
(Sorry for two-part post.)

I'm not AVAAntares, but I'm usually the one helping her do color her hair. The Ghetto Hakkai costume you referenced is her real hair color, a light-to-medium brown. Her hair is long enough to sit on. She uses her real hair for Riza. (As LadyHawke78 says, this kind of style is awfully difficult unless you're using a Very Nice Wig, which we didn't want to pay for!)

Alena does her hair up in some complicated fashion to hide its real length, and I'll point her over here and let her explain that (I have long hair, but thank God it mostly styles itself, 'cuz I am inept). Then we use a specific spray coloring over the entire thing, which locks it in place and brings it to Riza's color. All of it washes out that night.

It does look very good in person; we've gotten some very specific comments on that. So since it sounds like your hair isn't too dark to start, I think I'd try that method before anything more permanent. That leaves you free to play with other costumes and go back to work on Monday looking just like yourself. :-)

"...And Sewing Is Half the Battle!" -- photos & tutorials

"Cosplay is good skills for ninja." -- actual quote from my taijutsu sensei!

God is no fonder of intellectual slackers than of any other slackers.... Anyone who is honestly trying to be a Christian will soon find his intelligence being sharpened.
-- C. S. Lewis
Shinteetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2007, 02:42 PM   #12
Draconargentum
Sanity's no fun

Man, I've never gotten so much activity in one of my threads before, and never from people this helpful. Makes me feel special.

Shinteetah, you just use spray color from Sally's? I was actually down there a little while ago, looking for bright red (doing Gojyo from Saiyuki Reload/Gunlock). Does the color it rub off on your clothing? I don't need extentions, as I've checked the length (just below my shoulders; another reason I chose Hawkeye, no wig ^_^) and it's just about the perfect length for putting up in Riza's style.

Oh, and thanks for the tip about leather scraps. I hadn't thought of that. There's a Tandy's about twenty minutes from my house; that's nothing compared to some of the distances I've gone to do stuff for cosplay.

Next Convention
Unknown
Unread 10-01-2007, 11:57 PM   #13
AVAAntares
Sewing = 1/2 (Battle)

The spray color I use is Streaks 'N' Tips brand, which I buy at Sally Beauty Supply. It comes in several shades, but I use the color called "pale blonde" -- the best picture of what it really looks like is here. The blonde spray is obvious; you can compare it to my natural brown color, which shows at my neck. (I've posted about this so many times on the hair & wig forum, you'd think I'd have the link to that photo in my sig by now.) ^_^

Most spray color WILL rub off on clothing if your hair is down -- i.e., if you're planning on spraying long hair for Gojyo, expect it to get all over the costume as well (and some colors can stain fabric). It's also a lot like spraypaint, in that you need to apply it in light, even layers so it doesn't clump or run. It takes a little bit of practice to do well. Spray color is usually a last resort for cosplay, because it doesn't work on loose hairstyles. The reason it works for Riza is because her hair is slicked in place and never makes contact with any other part of the costume. I've used it for other costumes (mostly one-shot cosplays for which I didn't want to invest in a wig), but it's usually messy.

How long is your hair? If it's much below your shoulders, I can tell you how I do my long hair for Riza.

Unread 10-02-2007, 02:34 PM   #14
Draconargentum
Sanity's no fun

Here are some pictures, so you can also see the color. There's an extra wave because I just took it out of a ponytail, and my hair is really, really thick. I'm definitely going to need hair cement so it doesn't poof out. Sorry about the blurriness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0153.jpg (56.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0151.jpg (50.0 KB, 0 views)

Next Convention
Unknown
Unread 10-03-2007, 10:27 PM   #15
AVAAntares
Sewing = 1/2 (Battle)

I think the color will be fine. The spray color won't be too far off from your highlights, so it won't look like you stuck your head in a bucket of yellow paint. ^_^ (For reference, this icon is my natural hair color; it's pretty close to yours.)

Your hair is short enough that you won't have to do a lot of looping to get rid of the length. You can probably just put it in a ponytail, fold the ponytail in half so the ends are sticking up, and hold it in place with the brown barrette. Use some hair gel to spike the ends up in the air like Riza's, spray with blonde color (make sure you cover the barrette first so it doesn't get sprayed), and you're all set! Be sure to practice it a few times before the con, so you can get it just right.

Unless your hair is really frizzy, you can just use hairspray or gel to smooth down flyaways. When I started playing Riza, I would cement my whole head; now I only use hair cement on the very tips of my hair (the part that sticks up). The rest is just held in place with a light spritz of hairspray, plus the blonde spray over it.