Go Back   Cosplay.com > International Forums > Australia

Unread 10-01-2007, 06:14 AM   #1
Melanie
That's right, worship me.

World Cosplay Summit

Thoughts on Australia finally being included, and having Animania hosting our preliminaries?

I think a very cautious "Yay!" is in order. Yay that we've been accepted as a cosplaying nation, but, will the potential drama ruin the fun for everyone involved? -_-;; I really don't think we have the competitive attitude of the hardcore international cosplayers.

I'm also worried that we just might not be ready to take on the rest of the world - ESPECIALLY if any of the Animania Brisbane judges are allowed ANYWHERE near the selection process.

Last edited by Melanie : 10-03-2007 at 08:51 AM.
Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-02-2007, 04:27 AM   #2
SeishinKibou
*~Weasle~*

I know that WCS is going to cause some drama but I think thats inevitable =/ I'm already stressed/excited/anxious/paranoid/freaking out about it because yeah...it's what I do...anyone who knows me knows I do this XD

I am incredibly worried that the prelims at the mini cons wont be done seriously =/. I am praying to god that they have judges that have some evidence of being able to judge a good costumes craftsmanship aka qualifications or evidence of experience in the field of cosplay/sewing. Also not being biased or not voting for someone because of personal reasons. If they just pick judges from whatever random person who wants to do it I will seriously not be able to hold my tongue and go off at them >o>;;; All of my friends agree that the judges should show some sign of experience because if there isn't then I wont be able to take the event seriously at all =/.

I don't know what others think about WCS but yeah I really want to compete ^^; The chance to represent Australia in cosplay would be so great~ ^_^ But...I can see there being a lot of dramas happening because of the event =/

I kind of wish the news of WCS was announced earlier >o>;;; but yeahhhh I know a heap of people who are going to enter. I just have to get myself to stress less X_X Gawwwd my brain makes mountains out of molehills >_<
SeishinKibou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2007, 06:46 AM   #3
Melanie

In all honesty, I think Australia is going to embarrass itself - and I don't want to be part of that. If Animania has any part in the decision making, you know we're going to end up with a ghetto Death Note group representing us... and we'll be a laughing stock.

Yes, we have a lot of good cosplayers, but we need GREAT ones - ones that will put up a decent fight in the international arena. And not just to stand a chance of winning, but to say "Hey, Australia IS a country to be reckoned with!"

Ugh, the thought of the drama has put me off the idea completely. Maybe I would have gone for something like this a few years ago, but I'm far too jaded to go willingly to something that's going to upset me... just like I KNOW this will.

Last edited by Melanie : 10-02-2007 at 06:52 AM.
Unread 10-02-2007, 05:48 PM   #4
Wakaleo

I don't know if this wil put at ease, but i am the one organising WCS at Animania. I will also be a judge and will supervise the whole event at the same time. One other judge is confirmed, and has extensive cosplay knowledge, going every year overseas to watch cosplay competitions.

I understand your concerns Melanie, several of my cosplay friends are also feeling the same way.

By the way, the preliminary competition is happening in August 2008, 3 weeks after WCS, meaning that we are actually selecting the team for 2009. It will leave Australian Cosplayers 1 extra year, stess free (well much less) to make a new costume for WCS.
Wakaleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2007, 01:59 AM   #5
SeishinKibou
*~Weasle~*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakaleo View Post
I don't know if this wil put at ease, but i am the one organising WCS at Animania. I will also be a judge and will supervise the whole event at the same time. One other judge is confirmed, and has extensive cosplay knowledge, going every year overseas to watch cosplay competitions.

By the way, the preliminary competition is happening in August 2008, 3 weeks after WCS, meaning that we are actually selecting the team for 2009. It will leave Australian Cosplayers 1 extra year, stess free (well much less) to make a new costume for WCS.
*phew* I'm so glad you have told me this. Thanks heaps~ ^_^ So there is only going to be one prelim in August or are you referring to the final one with all the prelim qualifiers? Will you be judging at every prelim event related to WCS?[Brisbane, Melbourne] Well, Thank you very much again for letting us know some of the details ^_^
SeishinKibou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2007, 09:00 AM   #6
Melanie

Quote:
I think I know who that is, and they are a really good choice! Yes, yes... that does put me at ease! Thanks for that!

Quote:
I understand your concerns Melanie, several of my cosplay friends are also feeling the same way.
I don't mean to sound so nasty, but the Brisbane judges this year were blatantly biased, and it made me lose a great deal of faith in Animania.

Quote:
*edits out the year in the thread title* Oh! Wow... I'm going to be quite old by then! XD Just curiously, is there a maximum age limit?

So, is there going to be a preliminary competition at all of the Animanias, or just one big event in August that everyone travels to?
Unread 10-04-2007, 05:09 AM   #7
Wakaleo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
I think I know who that is, and they are a really good choice! Yes, yes... that does put me at ease! Thanks for that!

I don't mean to sound so nasty, but the Brisbane judges this year were blatantly biased, and it made me lose a great deal of faith in Animania.

*edits out the year in the thread title* Oh! Wow... I'm going to be quite old by then! XD Just curiously, is there a maximum age limit?

So, is there going to be a preliminary competition at all of the Animanias, or just one big event in August that everyone travels to?
I have never been to any Animania outside Sydney. I was always in charge of cosplay comps at Animania Sydney (except last year when I was overseas), but next year I will also be in charge of ALL cosplay comps, so I intend to raise the standard of all mini Animania cosplay competitions to the level of main Animania Sydney. Hopefully I'll cover every problems that happened last year and I hope to regain your faith in Animania

For WCS, there will be Pre-preselections at each mini-Animania and on the Saturday of main Animania. The finals of the preselection will be on the Sunday of main Animania, and will contain only the winners of the pre-preselections (not sure how many people will be selected at the pre-preselections, but I intend to have at least 15 duos in the finals).

More info will be posted on the Animania website once I have sorted out a few things, written up rules and procedure...

I hope you will be joining the pre-preselection Melanie, because I think it would be a huge loss if you didn't enter.

oh, there is no age limit.
Unread 10-04-2007, 06:50 AM   #8
Melanie

Quote:
Hopefully I'll cover every problems that happened last year and I hope to regain your faith in Animania
That is great to hear! If things are going to change, maybe I'll give Brisbane one more chance?

Quote:
More info will be posted on the Animania website once I have sorted out a few things, written up rules and procedure...
Thanks so much for explaing that! I can't even begin to imagine how much work must go into organising all of this! O_O

Quote:
I hope you will be joining the pre-preselection Melanie, because I think it would be a huge loss if you didn't enter.
Wow... thank you! I've been "pursuaded" to enter by a bunch of bullies, and I've teamed up with Asham.

Quote:
oh, there is no age limit.
*phew!* XD
Unread 10-04-2007, 03:17 PM   #9
Xainoe
Wooo.

Good luck to everyone who is entering... I have like 6 years before I'll be able to enter. :P
Xainoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2007, 05:49 PM   #10
Wakaleo

OMG, Melanie, if you are teaming up with Asham, you will be THE team to beat. Good luck with the preparation, I know you will be doing well anyway.
Unread 10-05-2007, 03:26 AM   #11
Melanie

But no pressure, right?
Unread 10-11-2007, 10:45 AM   #12
Pyke

So, Australia will join WCS only in 2009?
Pyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2007, 02:16 AM   #13
Wakaleo

that's correct. But in order to participate at WCS 2009, the Australian Team will be selected at Animania 2008.
Unread 10-12-2007, 03:56 AM   #14
Megumiie
Megumi

So would kill to be a part of that, but I know it will never happen >_<

Good luck to Melanie and Asham *^_^* Definitely 2 of my fave cosplayers
Megumiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2007, 04:25 PM   #15
Ferio
The Flame Alchemist

I was very glad when I heard that Australia was in the contest. From Brazil, we wishes good luck for Autralia!