Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Seeking Cosplayers

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 53 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-02-2009, 09:27 PM   #2296
CosplayWannaBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Mizuhara View Post
Nice to meet you. I used to go to Shades Valley, but I graduated and just started UAB. Are you in any of the magnet schools at Shades Valley or just there normally? You might want to look into technical theater if you like sewing and want more help. Good luck with your sewing machine.

I think maybe some Alabama cosplayers should have cosplay work day meet ups too to help and motivate each other as well. Then we would all know just how much effort went into everyone's outfits when people meet up at photoshoots.
Really? Finally someone at SV that likes anime. Where are all the anime nerds ;w; ? When I went to register for school I didnt know what I wanted to do so next year, I'll probably sign up for that. I thought it just involved acting, and Im not exactly the best actor = . =; Thanks Have any idea which I should buy? I was going to get a Brother one and start with that.

Yeah and to help others out! Where would be the best place to have something like that? I havent really been here long so I really couldnt say. I'd love to try (or at lease) help get something like that together 8D
CosplayWannaBe is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #2297
CosplayWannaBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciarathallya View Post
CosplayWannaBe welcome. You have a pretty strong cosplay community in B'ham area. Two groups. Though one of them hasn't been very active as of late. There's a upcoming November shoot at Sloss Furnace which is nearby you. Date TBA.
Thanks Ciarathallya sounds like Im not alone in Bham <3
Im just now hearing about Sloss Furnace, is it a scary house like Atrox or what? I have no idea... lol. I dont have any sort of cosplay items/clothes ('cept a cat ear head band).
Unread 11-03-2009, 11:29 AM   #2298
Yoko Mizuhara

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosplayWannaBe View Post
Really? Finally someone at SV that likes anime. Where are all the anime nerds ;w; ? When I went to register for school I didnt know what I wanted to do so next year, I'll probably sign up for that. I thought it just involved acting, and Im not exactly the best actor = . =; Thanks Have any idea which I should buy? I was going to get a Brother one and start with that.

Yeah and to help others out! Where would be the best place to have something like that? I havent really been here long so I really couldnt say. I'd love to try (or at lease) help get something like that together 8D
Well, Someone who used to go to SV ^^; Look in technical theater and DABS for the anime nerds, at least that's where they were last year. You have to go talk to the technical theater teachers (Ms. Sanders is in charge of costumes so tell her you like sewing and it should be fine) to get into the technical theater class though so you can't just sign up. It's everything in theater, but acting so it's a lot of fun if you like hands on stuff.
For machines, I have a Brother (cost around $100 a few years ago) that works pretty well for everything except extremely heavy fabrics and is newb proof (can't sew with the foot up) which is awesome. It just depends on your budget as to what you should get, but stay away from new Singer machines. My serger is a singer and they just aren't quality machines anymore. Older ones are great though.

The only place I could think of would be someone's house. Once I know people in person from meet ups, I'd be happy to have sewing parties at my house, but I think everyone needs to know each other a little for that to work.
Yoko Mizuhara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 11:38 AM   #2299
Ciarathallya
Ragnacrack Cosplay Addict

Bernina and Jancome machines would be my recommendation if you have cash to burn. Brother or Singer if you're a cheap (both have low end machines). I love my I have a mid range Singer and have not probs with it (my 3rd one) and had a serger but it was stolen. I will say this, keep your machine serviced if you use it frequently and always check your city for services reps for whatever brand you use. Hancocks and JoAnns does service a variety of machines; however, I find it better to take it to the ppl that build them so that they can take special care of your machine. That is if you have something like that in your area. Some places do allow you to mail your machine too.
Unread 11-03-2009, 07:38 PM   #2300
CosplayWannaBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Mizuhara View Post
Well, Someone who used to go to SV ^^; Look in technical theater and DABS for the anime nerds, at least that's where they were last year. You have to go talk to the technical theater teachers (Ms. Sanders is in charge of costumes so tell her you like sewing and it should be fine) to get into the technical theater class though so you can't just sign up. It's everything in theater, but acting so it's a lot of fun if you like hands on stuff.
For machines, I have a Brother (cost around $100 a few years ago) that works pretty well for everything except extremely heavy fabrics and is newb proof (can't sew with the foot up) which is awesome. It just depends on your budget as to what you should get, but stay away from new Singer machines. My serger is a singer and they just aren't quality machines anymore. Older ones are great though.

The only place I could think of would be someone's house. Once I know people in person from meet ups, I'd be happy to have sewing parties at my house, but I think everyone needs to know each other a little for that to work.
Yeah when I went to school I asked the Dance Teacher about it and she told me about the lady to ask. Im going to ask her sometime this week about it.
Yeah I saw one for lik 80 or 90 $$. Yeah I heard the Singer's are suckish now a days. And haha I am kinda on a budget of 100 bucks for a machine for now (wont be driving till Feb which means no job till then either lol)

Yeah I agree. Gotta get to know people. Hopefully at the cons we could all go as a group or something.
Unread 11-03-2009, 07:39 PM   #2301
CosplayWannaBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciarathallya View Post
Bernina and Jancome machines would be my recommendation if you have cash to burn. Brother or Singer if you're a cheap (both have low end machines). I love my I have a mid range Singer and have not probs with it (my 3rd one) and had a serger but it was stolen. I will say this, keep your machine serviced if you use it frequently and always check your city for services reps for whatever brand you use. Hancocks and JoAnns does service a variety of machines; however, I find it better to take it to the ppl that build them so that they can take special care of your machine. That is if you have something like that in your area. Some places do allow you to mail your machine too.
Thanks for the info!! <3
Im getting a brother, because Im broke...
haha.
Unread 11-10-2009, 11:11 PM   #2302
kole

Exclamation any alabama cosplayers

im i Fairhope and looking to start a cosplay group soon. ill need some help.
kole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 09:45 AM   #2303
Ciarathallya

Exclamation December Events

FYE Anime Network Holiday Party
Dec 13, 2009, 6PM - they throw us out.
Cici's, 4925 University Dr NW # 162, Huntsville, AL 35816-1880

Admission: free
Food: pay for your own meal
Details: Christmas Party for everyone. Costume are encouraged, Dirty Santa ($10 limit) and fun for all.
http://www.facebook.com/#/group.php?...3906487&ref=ts

Oh Shiney Photoshoot
Tannehill State Park, 12632 Confederate Pkwy, McCalla, AL 35111
December 13, 2009, 12-5 PM
Admission: $3 entry, $2 train round trip, extra cash for food.
Details: Christmas versions of characters are welcome, santa hats, or just cosplays with red or green (or other festive colors). As always, not required but would be nice :P
http://www.tannehill.org/

Holiday Anime Day sponsored by HAMA-CON
Dec 29, 2009, 1:30-4:30PM
Fern Bell Park, 107A Sanders Rd SW, Huntsville, AL 35802

Admission: free
Ages: open to all. Advise parents to accompany children under age 14.
Details: An afternoon of anime featuring:
  • Anime Viewings (TBA)
  • Costume Contest
  • DoDonPachi I Credit Score Attack Bonanza Tournament
  • Parents Introduction to Anime Discussion
Addtionally, there will a donation box to collect new and gently used manga donations for Operation Anime Storm. It is a charity organization that collects manga and anime for troops deployed & stationed overseas. A detailed events schedule should be available on the host's website approximately some time near the event date.

Facebook event link
HAMA-CON Website

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=...638924&index=1

Also on a sad note, AUSAM-Con has been cancelled. I don't know the details of what happened but the events but nixed for 2010.

Last edited by Ciarathallya : 12-07-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Ciarathallya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2009, 07:39 AM   #2304
Ciarathallya

Pokemon Gijinka Photo Shoot

January 16, 2010, 12:00PM-2:00PM
Huntsville Botanical Garden, 4747 Bob Wallace Avenue Southwest, Huntsville, AL 35805-3391

Admission: (varies)
Members - Free
Adults - $10
Children 3-18 - $5
Children 2 and under - Free
Seniors (55+) & military personnel - $8

Theme: Pokemon Gijinka. However, you may wear whatever you like. Meet up inside of the main building. Optional lunch afterwards. Remember to bring money for admission and food. Also remember to dress properly for the weather.

Last edited by Ciarathallya : 12-22-2009 at 07:42 AM.
Ciarathallya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 01:35 AM   #2305
KakashiAholic1

Hey everyone, im new to cosplay.com >< but i live in alabama , Birmingham to be exact, but im just trying to make some new cosplay buddies since there is like none where i live. If you want to check out come of my cosplays you can go to my deviantart account witch is KakashiAholic.deviantart.com/ , but yeah
KakashiAholic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 01:36 AM   #2306
KakashiAholic1

i live in birmingham im not sure how far away that is from far hope, but im looking for some new people to be in our cosplay group if your interested. You can check out or DA its utterphailpro.deviantart.com
Unread 01-18-2010, 10:52 AM   #2307
Yoko Mizuhara

I live in Birmingham too and I'm always wanting to make new cosplay friends. I posted some info on your deviantart too so you can find more people in the Birmingham area that cosplay.
Yoko Mizuhara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 09:13 PM   #2308
KakashiAholic1

hey guys !

check out my thread http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=199380

im planing a alabama cosplay picnic
Unread 01-18-2010, 09:24 PM   #2309
9-Fox
Bounce of FOX of SQUEES!

I hope to start cosplaying.

I live in the Hunstville Area of alabama so I know of two cons but sadly, my anime clubs doesn't attend them but they attend AWA.

I would like to join a cosplay group.

I don't have any outfits or wigs, the only thing I got is my patrial Raptor suit I got at the Rocket City Fur con. So that the only thing I got for myself
9-Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 09:32 PM   #2310
KakashiAholic1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9-Fox View Post
I hope to start cosplaying.

I live in the Hunstville Area of alabama so I know of two cons but sadly, my anime clubs doesn't attend them but they attend AWA.

I would like to join a cosplay group.

I don't have any outfits or wigs, the only thing I got is my patrial Raptor suit I got at the Rocket City Fur con. So that the only thing I got for myself

do you have anyone that you are interested in cosplaying??
lol thats the first place to start when trying to cosplay