Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Persona

Unread 10-17-2007, 07:23 PM   #1
hallelujahlogic
dansciple

aigis headbandy earmuffy thingie

does anyone have any suggestions as to how in the world i should go about making this? alternately, could anyone suggest someone who i could commission this to?

my boyfriend suggested buying a thick headband, covering it in gold ribbon, using hotglue, and then painting on the triangles on top. but i think that would look utterly tacky, and besides that it still leaves me w/o the little ear muff parts.

help!
hallelujahlogic is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-17-2007, 07:52 PM   #2
verdatum
Extremely registered user

what franchise is this from? do you have a picture to share? various other questions listed in my signature...
Unread 10-17-2007, 08:05 PM   #3
hallelujahlogic
dansciple

sorry! you're absolutely right, i left so much important stuff out. haha, sometimes i forget to contextualise things.

http://www.dokuganryu.com/scans/megaten/p3/art24.jpg

there's a link to the image(s).

i'm talking about aigis/aegis from persona 3.
i want this to be absolutely PERFECT.
i'm willing to spend up to like 30 bucks if i do it myself, about 60 if i have it commissioned. i can't imagine why it would cost more than that, but if it somehow does, i guess i'm willing to spend more.
i'm not particularly...crafty, so although i'm willing to put a lot of effort into it, i'd prefer something that even an idiot could do!

again, sorry for leaving so much out!
Unread 10-17-2007, 10:40 PM   #4
verdatum
Extremely registered user

Wow she's cute, I need to get me a PS2.

They always say "PERFECT"...you asked for it.

You need the earmuffs to be hollow for weight and comfort reasons. I would either do this with a thixotropic resin (meaning it's thick enough sticks to walls and stuff) or vacuformed sheet plastic. With some practice you could potentially get away with using something cheap like bondo.

So you sculpt it, make a mold out of like mold-latex, pour the thickened resin in the mold, brushing it to the sides to keep it hollow, sand it, paint it.

The one nice thing you have going is that each earmuff is the same, so you only need to sculpt one and just make two copies from your mold.

the handband itself I would try to do a bit easier. The triangles have dimension, so I'd use two pieces of plexiglass. one thin as the base, and one thicker. with the triangles cut with a dremel router. Then fuse the two pieces together with special acrylic cement and carefully heatbend the whole thing to conform to a headshape.

Continuing with perfection, the raised metallic part of the headband should be guilded. You could use gold or brass leafing.

Starting with nothing, it'll cost you about 75$ in materials alone, not including various tools like a dremel (keyhole saw works in a pinch) and a heatgun.

Vacuforming requires a vacuform machine, so I won't bother describing that process unless you ask. It still involves sculpting, and that's the hardest part anyway if you ask me. The nice thing about sculpting though is even if you have no artistic skill (like me!) you can still sculpt anything you want, so long as you have enough patience and time to keep working at it until it's perfect.

As for commissioning the piece, you can investigate that on the spam board.
Unread 10-18-2007, 06:57 AM   #5
NekoMimiChan
*Bri*

Verdatum's technique would be optimal but it's very involved.

I'd start out like your boyfriend said, get a thick black headband (I saw some at Target the other day in the jewlery section by the sunglasses) and wrap it in some nice gold ribbon. for the earmuff looking things you can make them out of model magic. I'd take something like the bottom of disposable plastic cup or bowl and use it as a base to get the size and shape just right. if you cut the cup or bowl with a few centimeters of a rim you will have a nice little space to hide your ears under comfortably. Then just glue the muffs to the headband. I like using hotglue but you have to careful that you don't put too much or it will show.

If you want to commishion it I'd use this method but I find everything is so much more satisfying when you do it yourself.

Future Costumes
Carmilla - Vampire Hunter D
Haydee - Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
Barioth Blademaster - Monster Hunter
Lulu- FFX
Gwendolyn - Odin Sphere

For Prop Commissions visit my store, DistinctiveProps, on etsy.

Last edited by NekoMimiChan : 10-18-2007 at 06:59 AM.
NekoMimiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2007, 07:53 PM   #6
hallelujahlogic
dansciple

thank you! both of you!

verdatum, wow! that's pretty intense. i don't think i'd be able to do any of that in about a million years. also, i don't want to spend 75 bucks for the headband if i don't absolutely have to. but thanks anyway.

nekomimichan, your idea seems way more feasible. i'm gonna try and do that myself, but if i find that i am just not technically able to (i'm a disgustingly non-coordinated person.), would you be willing to take it on as a commission?
Unread 10-29-2007, 05:13 PM   #7
LadiesMan217

yeah, perfection is definitely beyond my reach. but with those methods, damn, it would be.

im gonna be doing one myself in a couple months, my plan involves buying a 99 cent headband from a craft store and getting some fun foam and cutting the triangles out with an exacto knife and painting it with some really glossy gold paint. the side parts over the ears will probably be made of cardboard and foam, then reinforced, gesso'd and painted to look hard and shiny.

in my opinion, theres no point in going to all that crazy trouble when simple things, done right, will still look really good. (they may not last until after you're dead, but they'll look good and you'll be able to wear them comfortably)

we should exchange more ideas later!

Last edited by LadiesMan217 : 10-29-2007 at 05:17 PM.
LadiesMan217 is offline   Reply With Quote