Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Central

Unread 05-24-2003, 01:04 PM   #1
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

Exclamation ACen, Part II : the Rock!

Oh...hello. This is a thread for organizing all those interested in the proposed plan to invade House on the Rock in Springgreen (?) Wisconsin at some future date for a mass cosplay photoshoot. (Just breaking it off the picnic thread, which was a totally different idea ^_-)
Yui is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-24-2003, 01:23 PM   #2
SoulCrash
Canon 7D w/ 17-55 580exII

What's "the Rock"? I keep on hearing about it, and I don't know what the hell it is......
Unread 05-24-2003, 01:44 PM   #3
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

I just said what it was, silly. I guess you don't read Neil Gaiman, huh?
Here's the official website:
http://houseontherock.com/

It's basically everything in the world in one place. A full-size giant squid attacking a whale. The horseman of the Apocalypse. Guns, armor, caskets, animated minatures, models of all kinds, artcars, artglass, the largest carousel in the world, creepy industrial sculptures and catwalks, thousands of dead animals, hundreds of self-playing instruments. I'm probably missing like half of it cuz your brain starts overloading mid-way through. The displays in the restrooms alone are worth sneaking in to the other gender's. Why, they even have the old Gauntlet arcades in one of their cafeterias. And that's just all the stuff that got added later. The actual House is the gorgeously twisting, bizarre, Asian-inspired structure that was built by hand by this one crazy guy.
Unread 05-24-2003, 01:48 PM   #4
Troppy
That was... objectionable

oh wow I went there once before...we got pulled over for speeding on the way, lol. It's a really creepy place...in a cool way, but creepy. I suppose a photoshoot would work, although Chicago would be so much better for me... >.o

a visit to HOTR would be cool though...reliving my scared-to-death-of-the-place childhood. XD
Troppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2003, 01:58 PM   #5
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

Yeah, we all still wanna do at least one regular, *free* weekend picnic/photoshoot in the Chicago area sometime this summer....that's why I wanted to separate the two ideas...because the HotR is going to require much more planning. With getting group rates, perhaps special photo clearance, maybe even setting up at their inn overnight...hehe, it's going to turn into a mini-con at this rate.

& yeah, Troppy, that's totally it, though...it is creepy, in a cool way. ^_- But the photo op possibilites are endless. (I totally imagine seeing Yuna summoning that sea creature XD that'd rock) Hopefully we can figure out a time when it isn't too crowded with normal tourists in the way.
Unread 05-24-2003, 02:19 PM   #6
kylash327
PlasticGeek.com

You know I'm in. I could maybe go there and get some info in the next few weeks, I'm by there occationally when I go up to Spring Green for the weekend to visit reletives.
kylash327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2003, 02:29 PM   #7
Mizuho
Sara the Spider!

Dude, I would soooo drive out there for that.

How many hours is it from Chicago?
Mizuho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2003, 02:48 PM   #8
kylash327
PlasticGeek.com

About 3.5 hours
Unread 05-24-2003, 03:26 PM   #9
SoulCrash
Canon 7D w/ 17-55 580exII

DAMN!.... I wish I could go to HOTR. But, I HAVE NO CAR! And even if I do have a car, I don't like driving alone to Wisconsin....
Unread 05-24-2003, 03:40 PM   #10
kylash327
PlasticGeek.com

Heheh, wha, is Wisconsin scary? ^_^ well actually...it is O_O
Unread 05-24-2003, 03:48 PM   #11
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

Don't despair...we can probably organize car pools...or a bus...or something. I don't drive either, you know. Anyway, there's no rush on this, so we can really plan this to allow as many people to come as possible.
Unread 05-24-2003, 04:06 PM   #12
kylash327
PlasticGeek.com

Well Kazecon is sometime in October i think, in Chicago, would we wanna somehow do it in tandem with that or after or before?
Unread 05-24-2003, 04:33 PM   #13
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

Well lemme quote myself so nobody misses it. The upcoming official Chicago area cons are:
Kazecon = October 10-12
Reactor = October 24-26

The Chicago cosplay picnic is likely to be this summer (hopefully the weekend after Otakon, that's my vote ^_-) but, again, I'm not sure how much planning HotR's gonna take, so it probably wouldn't be before that weekend anyway. And it shouldn't probably be connected with Reactor since Halloween is already mucking up that time frame.

But...having it aligned somehow with Kazecon sounds like a very interesting idea. We will probably get more out-of-the-area cosplayers to take an extra day or two maybe after the con weekend that way than we could hope for having the two events separate. Actually, if someone would like to present the proposal to the Kazecon people, they may be able to help connect the two somehow (it could only help promote their first-year con and distinguish it from all the other cons out there.)
Unread 05-24-2003, 05:14 PM   #14
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

Okay, I'm just making some notes to think about when contacting the HotR people...it's not necessarily coherant, I just don't want to forget anything.

We have to stress that the photoshoot is entirely not-for-profit. and also let them know that while we're ameteurs, we will behave in a mature and professional way and respect all of their displays and any rules they set out for us. I think it might also help explain our position if we directed them to the photo exhibitions here on the site (particularily the ones not connected with a con.) Also, if we go on a weekday (which it would be if it were to follow Kaze directly), especially in the off-season, they might be more willing to accomodate us as we would be filling their hotels and such.

Yeah, that's all I can think of for now. I just didn't want them to misunderstand/get freaked out about us all of a sudden showing up.
Unread 05-24-2003, 06:20 PM   #15
kylash327
PlasticGeek.com

Right, might wanan mention we're part of a local anime club or something, or cosplay.com, so we dont sound like a bunch of kids