Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > AnimeNEXT

Unread 10-21-2007, 09:24 PM   #1
-Kitsu

Yaoi/Yuri wooden paddle discussion

Alright so this has been discussed a number of times and the last thread where the OP asked how much they hurt turned into one it might be time to start a thread specifically for this.

It will at some point be discussed what will happen concerning yaoi/yuri paddles at animeNEXT. Consider this an opportunity to voice your opinions on the matter. Below are a few questions that will get the ball rolling so everyone can consider as much as possible:

1. What was your first impression when seeing these wooden paddles for the first time?

2. Has your observations pushed you to buy one of your own and for what reason (display/use as a prop/just to be silly/etc.)?

3. Where you at anytime hit by one of these paddles? Was it by a friend, fellow cosplayer, or random passerby? How did you feel about this?

4. Considering the many different reactions to the popularity of these wooden paddles, what would you suggest conventions do to help keep attendee's safe from being hit unwelcomly by a paddle, but without disrupting responsible attendees ability to use it as a prop?

5. In the case of wooden paddles are banned entirely, (please keep in mind it could also lead to an across the board ban on all wooden props), how would you feel about this?

Please use the questions above as food for thought and feel free to share your opinion on things and please respect anyone elses opinion given, even if it's polar opposite of your own.
Unread 10-21-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
Jenna_Chan621
RaMMY

1. Why do people have them and Why are they smacking each other with them.

2. I have bought one, but i don't bring it with me.

3. It was a random passerby at AN 06. I didn't mind cause that didn't hurt. But at this past AnimeNext someone got me which knocked me off my feet.

4. I think they should go by the same rules of metal weapons. by and rush it to your room.

5. I would consider a strict watch on the paddles. If regular props were banned because of these things, a con experience wouldn't be as fun.
Jenna_Chan621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2007, 09:35 PM   #3
Ginnychan
Gundamning it up

As I was just mentioning to you in IMs, I wouldn't really have a problem with them so much if most of the times I saw people with them, they weren't acting like idiots or just being creepy in general

It's just...ridiculous. What gives anyone the right to hit someone with a giant slab of wood? There's all kinds of legal issues involved as well.

I don't think you need to ban them all together, but harassment with them should be treated the same as if someone was smacking you with a shinai.
Unread 10-21-2007, 09:53 PM   #4
ShinigamiKaitou
Manic Mazoku

1+2. I was the first person to buy one at Otakon back when Hen Da Ne started selling them there. When I first saw it I thought it was amusing and cool,but I didn't think that it would turn into the huge thing it is today. Wandering around with it over my shoulder I was amazed by how many people actually asked me to spank them. Once more people got them, it was alot of fun, they were too new so people didn't really want to abuse them for fear of banning...and the majority of people with them were 18+ because you DID need ID to buy them. It wasn't as bad back then because the amount of people with them was small. I bought it, because back then it was just silly and amusing. I'm not even sure why I bought the Yuri paddle, but my friend dual wielded them as a joke instead of Keyblades as Sora.

3. I've been hit more times then I can count over the years. Mainly by friends and people I'm with, or by request for a photo. It's fine if the people ask first, because sometimes you just don't want to be hit. It really bothers me when people don't ask, or are very immature about them. And some people just plain hit too hard.

4. I hate to suggest it, but perhaps ban them from inside use or have people at con ops check them and put tape on them, if you're caught or reported for hitting without permission you lose your tape and have to remove it from the con center? Kind of a strikes system? I know it will cause more work for people but... I'd rather them not perma-banned.

5. I would be slightly upset if they were banned, because they are funny for crack pictures or joking around. Some people take it too far though, so I would understand why, should they be banned.

I'm sorry if this didn't make much sense, I'm dead tired and should sleep.

Otakon 2016:
ShinigamiKaitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2007, 10:04 PM   #5
Jantra
Silver Wing Creations

1.. What was your first impression when seeing these wooden paddles for the first time?

I thought they were cute.

2. Has your observations pushed you to buy one of your own and for what reason (display/use as a prop/just to be silly/etc.)?

My observations told me that if I ever funded the making of them, I would be betraying myself.

3. Where you at anytime hit by one of these paddles? Was it by a friend, fellow cosplayer, or random passerby? How did you feel about this?

I was hit by a random passerby. I was in a costume where I had very, very limited vision, and was suddenly cracked across my butt with a yaoi paddle. I fell onto my face ( I was in the middle of a picture in a crouched position ) and couldn't see who did it - gone by the time I got around. I had a bruise the next day. I was SO angry I couldn't even think about what to do.

4. Considering the many different reactions to the popularity of these wooden paddles, what would you suggest conventions do to help keep attendee's safe from being hit unwelcomly by a paddle, but without disrupting responsible attendees ability to use it as a prop?

I bluntly think they should be banned, period.

5. In the case of wooden paddles are banned entirely, (please keep in mind it could also lead to an across the board ban on all wooden props), how would you feel about this?

I would be exstactic if there was a ban on them. It is STUPID to ban all wooden props because people don't spank people with their wooden props... they spank people with those damn hard pieces of solid wood!
Unread 10-21-2007, 10:06 PM   #6
HeeroJF
Author & Cosplayer, baby

1. My first impression: I got the message, and sniggered.

2. Didn't buy one because I didn't want to clog up my place with novelty items.

3. At least once, upon request.

4. To keep attendees safe: trust that the attendees are old and mature enough to know how to handle a large piece of wood in normal civil society. If a con feels its attendees are too young to do that, then this is not a con I want to attend.

5. I'd roll my eyes and shake my head.
HeeroJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2007, 10:20 PM   #7
AnimeLore
Timey-wimey stuff

1. When I first saw them, I thought they were cool and funny. I got into the con game a bit late, so I only started seeing them around my 2nd or 3rd con. I did kind of become a bit skittish around them because i kept seeing groups of people attacking one another with them.

2. I purchased one a year or 2 ago and I love it to death. I only bring it with me to a few cons, and I rarely carry it around with me even when I do bring it. I just have it because I like it.

3. I have been hit multiple times but paddles. Most of the time it's by friends or random people that are polite enough to ask. However, there have been a few times when I have been hit HARD by people running by me and laughing with no permission and no word of apology afterward.

4. The announcement in literature and warnings in person to people seen wielding these paddles against one another that unwelcome use of the paddles is, in fact, ASSAULT. In addition, it should be put out there that people hit with paddles that did not give permission and are not happy with it that they should go to the security desk and ask that the person who used the paddle be given a warning/removed from the con/arrested (in cases where the person has been warned and has not heeded the warning)/ etc.

5. I really don't think they need to be banned entirely. Granted, there are people that are stupid enough to go around hitting people wantonly, but I feel that the threat (and follow-through) of arrest and/or banning from the convention would be enough to deter most people from attacking people with paddles either without getting permission or possibly at all. Especially since the majority of people with paddles are young teens that do not know law or anything about the crimes of assault or battery.

I'm sorry if my criminal law background comes through here... I just feel strongly that the people that randomly attack people with paddles need to be STOPPED. It's incredibly frustrating walking around, looking behind you because you're afraid of being caught unaware by a paddle-wielding maniac.

Dragon*Con 2012: Samwise Gamgee (Lord of the Rings), Bilbo Baggins (The Hobbit), John Watson (Sherlock), Peeta (The Hunger Games), Prince Ferdinand (Snow White), Peter Pan (Disney's Peter Pan), Colin Creevy (Harry Potter), Peter Pettigrew (Harry Potter), Bobby Singer (Supernatural)
AnimeLore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2007, 01:19 AM   #8
Glay

Well I'm glad to see this thread:

1. What was your first impression when seeing these wooden paddles for the first time?

I'd seen them online and at Anime North 2007 previously, and thought it was cool n all. I even played with one for a little while at that con.

Didn't want to buy one since they only place I really COULD use one is at a con/place where people like yaoi/yuri and I have no desire to hit people in public.

At Anime North I was but that was by my sister and was for a funny video. At AnimeNEXT however (we were cosplaying Goten/Trunks/Great Saiyaman), my sister (Trunks) and Saiyaman were hit by a random man. He tried to get me but my sis was so upset because it had hurt I ran and kicked the man in the ass. I should have reported him though, he gave NO warning or asked any permission.

Make them count as weapons and get them weapon checked so that if I DO get attacked again I can feel justified in reporting it.

I'd feel fine. It's a loss of a creative and fun prop at cons but it's being used way too inappropriately. My personal experience affects this opinion a LOT. Although I was getting stalked to my hotel room at AnimeNEXT too so it was a bad day. u_u
Unread 10-22-2007, 10:02 AM   #9
JeiC
Sanity...is not an option

I thought it was amusing...until said owner started chasing me with their yaoi paddle.

Thought about it, but I like my regular props better. That and my first impression was warped.

Random passerby and it hurt. How I felt...I wanted to break his paddle. It was harassment and assault plain and simple.

Treat them as you would treat a regular prop weapon...if you can't keep from using it to hit people, then either it goes or both of you go. *is still peeved from getting hit*

While I would welcome the ban of the paddles, I wouldn't be happy about the possible ban of all wooden props. There has to be a reasonable compromise, which from my point of view is to allow them, but people need to be mature about them and remember that they are props and that fellow congoers are not fictional characters for the smacking.
JeiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2007, 01:41 PM   #10
itsuki<3pudding
has A GUN IN MY HEART!!!

I had a small laugh, because I never dreamed that someone would actually use them without consent on another person.

No. For $35 they seem like a complete ripoff to me.

I have not, but if I did I would be very upset and would not hesitate to bring the incident to con staff's attention.

I like the strike idea that ShinigamiKaitou suggested. Also, I've seen some younger attendees carrying them around. Is it still 18+ to buy one? If so, then enforcing the dealer to seriously card people might help. I know being 18 doesn't mean you magically turn into a mature adult, and that it's easy for people to get older friends to buy them, but it might help a little with keeping them in the hands of responsible people.

I wouldn't care one way or another, but the wooden props ban would bother me.
Unread 10-24-2007, 08:30 AM   #11
The Real Nuriko
Cosplay Drag Queen

Coming from Living Yaoi I hate them. >_> if I get smacked with one more I'm going to REALLY hurt the person that dose the smacking.

Russia ~ Hetalia
Bard ~ Kuroshitsuji
Suiseiseki ~ Rozen Maiden
Madam Red ~ Kuroshitsuji
Germany ~ Hetalia
The Real Nuriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2007, 02:57 PM   #12
RogueMimzy
back after a hiatus~

FINALLY.

1. What was your first impression when seeing these wooden paddles for the first time? -- I was slightly amused but slightly bewildered. I'm rather uninterested in yuri/yaoi, so I wasn't attracted to them.

2. Has your observations pushed you to buy one of your own and for what reason (display/use as a prop/just to be silly/etc.)? -- I would like to quote Jantra on this one: "My observations told me that if I ever funded the making of them, I would be betraying myself."

3. Where you at anytime hit by one of these paddles? Was it by a friend, fellow cosplayer, or random passerby? How did you feel about this? -- I have yet to be hit by a paddle, because I don't crossplay. I have seen people (generally the younger crowd) go pretty crazy at photoshoots with them, and it's... a bit disturbing for me.

4. Considering the many different reactions to the popularity of these wooden paddles, what would you suggest conventions do to help keep attendee's safe from being hit unwelcomly by a paddle, but without disrupting responsible attendees ability to use it as a prop? -- If someone can use it responsibly, and not go around smacking the living daylights out of every cosplayer they see, that's fine. I think if con security (or anyone, really) sees it being misused, they should report it and said paddling attendee should get strict orders to put it away or have it taken away (to be picked up later that night or at the end of the con, etc) Maybe that sounds a little childish, but it works...

5. In the case of wooden paddles are banned entirely, (please keep in mind it could also lead to an across the board ban on all wooden props), how would you feel about this? -- That could pretty much disrupt the convention experience. Since live steel is not allowed at conventions, most props are made of wood/foam/plastic, with a huge majority of them being wood. The ban on wooden props would definitely anger all sorts of people... myself included D<
See you at Miraicon | CPAC | Connecticon | Otakon | NYCC | Derpycon
facebook
RogueMimzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2007, 12:29 AM   #13
Marika

1. First impression? - Kind of stupid, not something I'd want to buy, not-so-great flashbacks from the paddle my dad used on us as kids (same shape... just that one had holes drilled through it to reduce air resistance).

2. Did I buy? Would I buy? Why? - Not at all, though if hit without warning or without first asking permission, I'd happily break it for them.

3. Hit? Did you know them? How'd you feel? - Yes, a friend/fellow cosplayer, and she didnt' hit hard. It was for a photo, not for "OMG! LEMME HIT YOU!"

4. Suggestions on safety? - Treat it like you would a prop: has to be seen by Security, has to be tagged, and if caught in violation, you lose it. If you're going to be dumb, suffer.

5. Ban on paddles could equal ban on all wooden props? - That's stupid. It's not like it's hard to distinguish between a wooden staff or sword and a Yaoi/Yuri paddle. Why punish everyone for the ignorance of a few?
Marika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2007, 03:11 PM   #14
EastCoastKing

1. I thought they were a cute and unique gimmick idea.

2. I purchased one about three years ago, when they first started showing up. I mainly bought it because I thought it was funny and would make an "interesting" conversation piece when I got home.

3. I have never been hit by one violently. I've taken some light taps while posing for silly pictures with people. I usually just laughed it off. However, where I to be struck hard with one by someone, for no apparent reason, I would be pretty PO'd.

4. I would suggest a limit on how many a vendor is allowed to stock in the dealer hall. Also, perhaps requesting that said vendor increase the price of them just slightly, to insure that fewer of them will be distributed. The fewer of them there are, the easier it is to monitor them. Also, enforcing a policy of confiscating them from anyone observed to be using them in an abusive or violent manner, or against people who other attendants complain about. A three strikes and your out kind of system, where the first offense gets a warning, second one sees the paddle taken away, third sees the person in question get escorted off the premises.

5. I would find it to be a bit extreme, but an understandable reaction to the circumstances. I would be quite annoyed that it was really a minority of annoying people who ruined the gimmick for everyone else. I would also be a little curios, if not fearfully so, to see what bizarre gimmick people would come up with to replace it.
Unread 11-20-2007, 03:23 AM   #15
GreyCat
Always in the background

Arn't these paddles only sold to people 18+ anyways? Also, who are the paddles trademarked to?

Getting my fursona created for me, and unsure of any cosplays I will be creating.

I make furry mascot costumes. Please email me at Gettinfluzzy.com and check out Gettinfluzzy.webs.com for more pictures and info!
GreyCat is offline   Reply With Quote