Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Final Fantasy

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-22-2007, 09:00 AM   #1
oOKawaiiJessyOo
nerdletron :3

Vincent Valentine Cosplay Help

I've noticed that Vincent is one of the few characters we have here in the FF thread that constantly has new threads up because no one has started a running one for it. It clutters up the board and becomes redundant when 3 people are asking the same question in 3 different threads. So, I decided that there needs to be a thread that we keep continually posting in for help with Vincent Valentine cosplay! This way, cosplayers seeking help will only need to stop in one thread to get all the help they need!

As people post links/helpful advice, I will edit this post so as to have it all centralized in one spot. ^^

Claw Armour

I always see the most help asked for when it comes to the claw/foot armour. People use all kinds of different materials, but I found that craft foam worked really, really well for a friend that constructed the claw using it. There is a wonderful tutorial at the link below that has detailed step-by-step instructions for it.

Craft Foam Tutorial

Accessories

Buckles
Highland Xpress : lots of good buckles for very cheap.

Tandy Leather Factory : widely used site here on c.com for buckles

Reference Images

Vincent Model : A very useful image of a model of Vincent, unpainted. Every detail revealed!

Cosplayer Experiences/Help

Grayskull8's in depth post : A "perfectionist" Vincent cosplayer

Vincent Photobucket : PM Ashenine for the password. Upload all kinds of reference images to help other cosplayers make the best costume!
PAX East - Boston, MA
Otakon - Batimore, MD
Blizzcon - Anaheim, CA
More are tenative...
Spellthief Lux *League of Legends*[||||||] 99%
Muse Sona *League of Legends*

Last edited by oOKawaiiJessyOo : 02-19-2008 at 11:30 AM.
oOKawaiiJessyOo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-23-2007, 12:26 AM   #2
DreadEnKith

I'm working on Vincent from FFVII-AC for AX08 I just can't figure out what materials to use.
The body shirt and pants are pretty easy they look like leather... but what I'm wondering is aside from pleather and actually using leather what else would be a good alternative that can breath because leather and pleather aren't known for being very breathable at least as far as I know. And the idea of baking in the sun in downtown la wrapped in a black suit does not sound like fun

And my other question would be what would be a good material for the cape sections? I can't really tell what it looks like, canvas(sounds heavy though)?
DreadEnKith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2007, 07:13 PM   #3
Fashwiing
picks on blond bartenders

Just regular cloth is fine for the cape, although you're going to have a hell of a time finding buckles unless you have a specialty horse bridle shop or the like near you. That's where I get all my metal pieces for any and all Squaresoft-based costumes.

Cons I plan on attending:
Newcon 2013
ALA 2014
Sakuracon 2014
Fanime 2014
Kumoricon 2014

Am I the only one who thinks just living is sad?
Fashwiing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2007, 12:22 AM   #4
Pyrohappygirl
From Yonder Land of Sheep

For the cape fastenings, I found some really good kilt straps which did the trick just fine- the slight misshaping of the sides of the buckles are hidden when you make the silver decorations, and they look beautiful.

Uh... I don't know where you'd get kilt straps in America, however. I got mine from a Bernina shop, if you have those over there. ^^;; The many perils of living in NZ, says I.

For the cloak itself, I can't remember which fabric I used, sadly. It was kind of like a stretchy canvas-type fabric, however.

Ace (999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors) | Mephisto Pheles (Blue Exorcist) | The Count of Monte Cristo (Gankutsuou)

Cosplays 2012

Australia (Axis Powers Hetalia) | Severus Snape (Harry Potter) | Vayne Carudas Solidor (Final Fantasy XII)
Graverobber (Repo! The Genetic Opera) | Equius Zahhak (Homestuck) | Brother Nier (Nier)
Pyrohappygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2007, 01:09 PM   #5
DreadEnKith

Pyrohappygirl: Thanks for the idea I never thought about what the straps could be called/from I was just going to custom make them, but i did find a site that has some straps pretty cheap that sells to US Here is the link:http://www.highlandxpress.com/patterns.html#bs
The site is really simple. If I find anything else I'll add the links.

My Costumes
Cid Highwind AC - 80%
Vincent Valentine AC - 5%

Friend's Costume
Moogle - 0%
Unread 10-25-2007, 11:31 AM   #6
oOKawaiiJessyOo

Glad to see we're already helping each other out here! I will post that link, and the link to another place that does good buckles as well :]
PAX East - Boston, MA
Otakon - Batimore, MD
Blizzcon - Anaheim, CA
More are tenative...
Unread 10-29-2007, 10:50 AM   #7
DreadEnKith

Semi random thought/curiosity I noticed there are Vincent earrings from DoC, I never noticed, does he use earrings in Advent Children (since DoC/AC are almost the same Vincent)?

My Costumes
Cid Highwind AC - 80%

Friend's Costume
Moogle - 0%
Unread 11-03-2007, 01:18 PM   #8
9to5atthemorgue
Mindless Self Indulgence

Quote:
The body shirt and pants are pretty easy they look like leather... but what I'm wondering is aside from pleather and actually using leather what else would be a good alternative that can breath because leather and pleather aren't known for being very breathable at least as far as I know. And the idea of baking in the sun in downtown la wrapped in a black suit does not sound like fun
DreadEnKith: Personally, I don't think Vincent's black shirt looks like leather/pleather. I think it would be easier and a lot more comfortable to use a differnet material for it. Especially if ur going to sew on the studs that are in the original FF7 Vincent. (idk which vincent ur doing) Then u dont have to worry about baking in the sun.
9to5atthemorgue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2007, 03:27 AM   #9
Ruin-sama
Coconut Kokopelli

For Dirge of Cerberus Vincent, I'm not sure if this will help anyone, but I use this for reference for his clothing underneath the cloak.

I like it because it's unpainted and you can cleanly see the buckles and seams. ^^

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...f07viva_01.jpg

Otakon 2008 [ Vincent Valentine: Dirge of Cerberus- 35%]

Future planned project- Crisis Core: Genesis Assasin
Ruin-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2007, 08:57 AM   #10
oOKawaiiJessyOo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruin-sama View Post
For Dirge of Cerberus Vincent, I'm not sure if this will help anyone, but I use this for reference for his clothing underneath the cloak.

I like it because it's unpainted and you can cleanly see the buckles and seams. ^^

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...f07viva_01.jpg
That is an excellent reference, thank you Ruin-sama~! I will post this on the OP under "Reference Images."
PAX East - Boston, MA
Otakon - Batimore, MD
Blizzcon - Anaheim, CA
More are tenative...
Unread 11-06-2007, 01:17 AM   #11
Ruin-sama
Coconut Kokopelli

Alright, I have a problem. I'm working on DoC Vincent, and I have no idea which contacts to buy to look like his eyes. I've narrowed it down to two, but I just can't seem to make up my mind beyond that. I need prescription contacts, so unless I want to spend my time aimlessly and blindly wandering, I'm limited in choices for the most part.

http://9mmsfx.com/Merchant2/merchant...egory_Code=VL3
I keep hearing good things about these guys, so I'm sorely tempted by that alone. (Plus I'm in love with the dark edges...)

http://www.insanelenses.com/Ichimaru...cts-p-187.html
However, I love the almost reflective/glowing effect of these...which really reminds me of Vincent.

My friend is no help either, instead of giving me her opinion, she just keeps finding more contacts to tempt me with!! >_o

Unread 11-06-2007, 10:06 PM   #12
InsertNameHere4
Geostigma Vincent! ^__^

I'm having some troubles with my claw... mainly with attaching the finger bits to the glove. I used the craft foam method. First I tried to glue it to the glove, that didnt' work out as well as I planned, then I trued sewing. Now, a good deal of the parts stay attached but a few (namely the tumb, pointer finger, and middle finger parts) keep popping off. Anyone have some ideas to help a poor Vincent out?
InsertNameHere4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2007, 11:05 PM   #13
Ruin-sama
Coconut Kokopelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertNameHere4 View Post
I'm having some troubles with my claw... mainly with attaching the finger bits to the glove. I used the craft foam method. First I tried to glue it to the glove, that didnt' work out as well as I planned, then I trued sewing. Now, a good deal of the parts stay attached but a few (namely the tumb, pointer finger, and middle finger parts) keep popping off. Anyone have some ideas to help a poor Vincent out?
What kind of glue are you using? I've yet to start on my claw, but I the glue I use to adhere things to fabric so that they'll stay is E600. If that doesn't work, then I'd say just be strategic about how you use the glue as well. Try placing dots of glue on the parts of the fabric that won't be stressed or stretched as much when you flex or clench your fist. Worst-case scenario, you could probably use epoxy to adhere some studs to the underside of your foam (so they won't show through) and stick them into your glove.

E600 and epoxy are really easy to find, a lot of modeling and craft stores carry them. ^^ Good luck!

Unread 11-07-2007, 12:06 AM   #14
InsertNameHere4
Geostigma Vincent! ^__^

I was using some regular glue but I'll try and pick up some of the E600 and try it out. I need to go get some more rub'n'buff for some repair work before my group decides to get together again (we trying for some time before xmas) so I'll pick some up when I get the rnb. Thanks!
InsertNameHere4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2007, 07:33 PM   #15
DreadEnKith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruin-sama View Post
Alright, I have a problem. I'm working on DoC Vincent, and I have no idea which contacts to buy to look like his eyes. I've narrowed it down to two, but I just can't seem to make up my mind beyond that. I need prescription contacts, so unless I want to spend my time aimlessly and blindly wandering, I'm limited in choices for the most part.

http://9mmsfx.com/Merchant2/merchant...egory_Code=VL3
I keep hearing good things about these guys, so I'm sorely tempted by that alone. (Plus I'm in love with the dark edges...)

http://www.insanelenses.com/Ichimaru...cts-p-187.html
However, I love the almost reflective/glowing effect of these...which really reminds me of Vincent.

My friend is no help either, instead of giving me her opinion, she just keeps finding more contacts to tempt me with!! >_o
I think the Vampyre Lilith (first link) look not only natural but more like vincent's eyes in a lot of the screenshots i found for DoC his eyes look like they have the black edge around them and not as glowy as the second link looks.

My Costumes
Cid Highwind AC - 80%

Friend's Costume
Moogle - 0%