Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Youmacon

Unread 10-26-2007, 05:25 PM   #1
jfreedan

Filming a documentary

Hello, I am a film student at Washtenaw Community College at Ann Arbor.

My crew and I are filming a Trekkies-style documentary about cosplaying at Youmacon. I'd love to interview some of you guys.

I'm particularly interested in talking to people who can give me some insight into how cosplaying got started. I'd love to talk to dealers, to costume commissioners, to people who have something they want to say about cosplaying.

I'd also like to ask if there is anyone in particular I should be looking for to interview?

You can post here or send me a private message.
jfreedan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-26-2007, 08:09 PM   #2
Soy Sauce
Event Director of SoyCon

Well I would say any cosplayer would be great to interview. I'm attending Youmacon and I will be under cosplay. I could give you some input on what the cosplaying experience is like.
Soy Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2007, 08:50 PM   #3
No Refuge

Yeah I would love to help you in anyway possible. I will be a Youma for the entire weekend.
Unread 11-04-2007, 08:19 PM   #4
jfreedan

I just want to say something.

HOLY CRAP I HAD AN INCREDIBLY INSANELY AWESOME TIME AT THE CONVENTION AND GOT TO MEET LITERALLY HUNDREDS OF AWESOME PEOPLE!

My doc is going to be amazing.
I shot 20 hours of footage that is pure, solid gold.

This con was not like some nerdy sci-fi thing, like the Star Trek convention I attended as a kid.
This was a MASSIVE [Content removed]ING PARTY!

I feel like I was so ignorant about cosplaying before I went to a con. I'd say at least 95% of this community has some of the greatest people in the entire country. The amount of good feelings, the sheer amount of love that poured out from practically every person was overwhelming, and it's nigh impossible to not get caught up with it.

I still don't have the desire to cosplay myself, but I definitely am going to attend another con to film it in the near future. Actually some tv producer said she would give me free passes and lodging if we'd cover another con in a few months, and I'm really considering it. Hell, the con staff at Youmacon was awesome enough-- I can't recall any request I had that was fully denied, and I really had a "backstage pass" to everything.

I am so, so glad I did this, and I feel very confident that unless we had a major mechanical failure with our cameras while we were shooting, that the story we put together will do all of these wonderful people the justice they deserve.
Unread 11-04-2007, 09:22 PM   #5
Saaski_Moql
The pancake ninja.

Heh, glad you had a good time. XD

Also, I'm sure I speak for a lot of youmacon-goers when I say that I'd love for the chance to see this when it's ready. When you have the documentary completed, will it be available somehow, so we could see it?
Saaski_Moql is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2007, 12:47 AM   #6
jfreedan

Absolutely.

We'll probably have, at the least, a 10 minute short available by the end of the month and available via Youtube, with the full project(s) being released sometime after that.

The Youmacon committee will also get a copy that they can distribute any way they like.

Also, I hooked up a camera to my TV just to take a look at the raw footage, and I am very pleased with the results (I was very worried about the rave party footage because it was so chaotically dark in there for me to see, but I managed to successfully setup the camera to capture the action).

In about 3 hours I'm going to begin the long process of digitizing all of the tapes at the lab and cutting what is an otherwise disorganized mess into a manageable archive. I swear there isn't going to be a day I do not work on this project until it is completed. I don't think I can accurately express the enthusiasm I have for this project with words.

Last edited by jfreedan : 11-05-2007 at 12:56 AM.
Unread 11-19-2007, 01:37 PM   #7
Lady
Sexy vonSexpants

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfreedan View Post
I still don't have the desire to cosplay myself, but I definitely am going to attend another con to film it in the near future. Actually some tv producer said she would give me free passes and lodging if we'd cover another con in a few months, and I'm really considering it.
*cough*YoushouldgotoOtakon*cough*
Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 02:06 PM   #8
KoriStarfire

Other fun conventions too are Ohayocon in January and Anime Central in May. those are in the midwest.

Anyway totally glad you had fun! make sure you update the thread when you finish or get the word out cause i'm sure a lot of people will want to see it! myself included

Animosity Cosplay
Next Con: JAPAN
Costumes: Sailor Venus, Duo Maxwell
KoriStarfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2007, 03:25 PM   #9
sephygoth
Hater lover

I do have to say that unless you've started going to a con to begin with, you probably shouldnt hit the documentary of it. Its not a hip new thing to just do a doc on and attempt to capitalize on.
Its a different world than trek cons n all(be ready), it IS a party more than a classic con. Dealers will not help you unless its straight cosplay/commisions(more recent times). For that, go to ebay where your favorite character is made for you.
If you don't plan to cosplay(especially for a real cosplayers reasons), you will not see the real story.
As a class project its good. Further hollywood action I would suggest not persuing. We had an American Idol rep at Bakuretsucon, we explained to him he will not find the "talent" he's looking for, just people having fun and a good time.
there's the "look at me" aspect (modeling,tv show, awards,ego, Reputation)
then there's "look at me I'm having fun" aspect(self achievment,compliments, fun, friends).
A certain large con creator shared many of our views after watching some generic anime con special/documentary that was simply NOT done well. I'd refer that to you if I could remember the name.
sephygoth is offline   Reply With Quote