Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 10-27-2007, 06:21 AM   #1
BorgmanJayce
Ore Wa, Sanjou!

Need advice on attaching a sword scabbard to a belt

Does anyone have any advice on attaching a scabbard as in the type used for carrying Ninja-type swords to a trouser or jeans belt as I'm planning on cosplaying Dr McNinja as in the webcomic character for the next MCM Expo in London in May and I was thinking of carrying it over my shoulder but I'm not too sure if it would work or not depending considering how the character dresses...

http://www.drmcninja.com/
BorgmanJayce is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-27-2007, 09:16 AM   #2
Andrea
Stupid Sexy Kotetsu

Hmm... the only way to carry a sword the way the character is wearing it in the top image at that website is to actually attach the scabbard to the white coat, since there don't seem to be any straps or belts around his upper body. (Hooray for seemingly impossible character designs! It's a common problem in cosplay, sadly.) To do it that way, I'd sew loops onto the back of the coat, and attach the scabbard to those loops.

I don't have experience with belting ninja-style swords to my waist, but at the ren faires I've gone to, the scabbards that can be purchased with the swords traditionally have some extra length on the backside (the side that would be against your hip) of the scabbard, which you can fold over the belt and fasten with a (large and very secure) snap or button on the backside of the scabbard below the belt. (I'm not sure I'm explaining this very clearly - sorry!) Or else there's already a loop on the backside which you can slide onto a belt - think of the back of a cell phone belt pouch.

One thing to note about attaching swords at the waist, though - depending on how well they're balanced and the angle the scabbard is attached at, they may flop around all over the place and knock against your knee as you walk if they're ONLY attached at the waist. The blacksmiths I've bought from usually make their scabbards with another strap to be fastened around the leg above the knee to keep it against the leg, which works quite nicely.
Unread 10-27-2007, 09:25 AM   #3
BorgmanJayce
Ore Wa, Sanjou!

Your suggestion about carrying the scabbard by attaching straps to the labcoat at the back definitely sounds like it could work but what would be the best sort of material to use for the straps as I wouldn't want the scabbard to obviously come loose from the labcoat...
Unread 11-20-2007, 06:03 PM   #4
cannoneer
God of hellfire

If you want to wear the sword off of your belt one of the best things is a frog attachement usually used for rapiers. It will attach over a belt and depending on what typer you get will have several loops that hold the scabbard pretty securely. As a katana is usually wider than a rapier it should hold quite snugly and prevent flopping around.

A loop on the back of the lab coat is a good idea but you want to make sure it is tight enough to hold with stability . Maybe two loops at different point on the scabbard to ensure it doesn't twist all around when you move. Potentially it could be some kind of strap worn under the lab coat with holes in teh back of the coat fot the loops to go through. Anyway...just sort of rambling now.
cannoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2007, 11:01 AM   #5
BorgmanJayce
Ore Wa, Sanjou!

Thanks for the advice, cannoneer.

On another note, where would I get one of these frog attachments from?

[I never knew it would be so difficult to carry a sword in a scabbard about... *L*]
Unread 11-26-2007, 12:18 PM   #6
cannoneer
God of hellfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorgmanJayce View Post
Thanks for the advice, cannoneer.

On another note, where would I get one of these frog attachments from?

[I never knew it would be so difficult to carry a sword in a scabbard about... *L*]
You can get them through most places that stock and sell renaissance fair clothing and accessories. Do a quick google search for rapier frog and you will come up with quite a few options. Some more expensive and elaborate than others. If you are handy with leather you may be able to make one. Hope this helps.
cannoneer is offline   Reply With Quote