Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Archives > Anime Expo New York

Unread 09-06-2002, 02:57 PM   #16
Shima-Mizu
~On an Island of Water~

Oh! On that note though, becuase they do recognize my love for it a few good things have come---my dad subscribed me to Animerica and Animerica for Christmas and for my bday last year he got me the 4 import dvd's of Flame of Recca...and my mom, remembering that I want to be a translator, recently picked me up a magazine and book all in Japanese so I can practice my reading skills (my actual understanding skills are another matter though...those suck, I can read and not know what I'm reading lol). But yeah in that essense my parents can be very helpful even though they may not completely understand why I like the stuff.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~Shima-Mizu~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shima-Mizu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-06-2002, 03:39 PM   #17
AlchemistMerlin

grrrrr.....parents anger merlin much.........my parents think im an idiot for watching anime...course my dad cant say much cause he plays video games at work lol(i always just walk into his office and hes sittin there playin age of empires on his free time) so i use that against him...my mom just keeps mummbling "mindless" whenever she walks by and im watching it......if it werent for the nudity id tell her to sit and watch Ghost In Shell and ask her how mindless that was(i personally felt Ghost was really really deep) but she would just see the nudity and ban me from anime all together right like anime does anything worse to my mind than her spanish soap opera's do to hers quite frankly parents arent ment to understand...they never have, they never will, to bad its their loss....hell i'll still be watchin anime when my kids are 15 and im 30 lol
AlchemistMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2002, 03:44 PM   #18
Oshi
Rugged. Like the moon.

Man... Just think how our kids are gonna grow up...
"My parents won't stop coming to conventions with me!"
Oshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2002, 03:45 PM   #19
Shima-Mizu
~On an Island of Water~

lmao, that was great Oshi---it will be like the little girl who did Sakura in the Masquerade---parents will be cosplaying at the same thing

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~Shima-Mizu~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shima-Mizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2002, 03:52 PM   #20
Rosiel
The FRENCH CONNECTION
Super Moderator

> quite frankly parents arent ment to understand...they never have, they never will, to bad its their loss....

Not all parents are the same...

My mom watched all of Fushigi Yuugi with me, she was obsessed with "Tomahome" (never was able to remember his name correctly). She stopped watching Sailor Moon after Nephrite died because she was so mad, loved Record of Lodoss War, and was scared out of her wits watching Ninja Scroll...

Never could get her into anything with robots though...

I used to have anime nights with her and some of her friends when I was in University. Really. ^___^

My aunt and uncle also watch anime, and they loved Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. My next plan: Perfect Blue and Escaflowne.

I go to their house on Thursday for movie night. One week I bring one movie or anime, the next week they choose a movie. I don't always like what they pick -Titanic, yuck- but we at least sample things we would not otherwise. Offering an exchange generally helps to get others more willing to listen to you.

Tell her you'll watch Spanish soap operas with her if she'll watch something with you. Show it dubbed, and choose something she would like. Seriously, if she's into soaps, Ghost in the Shell isn't for her. Get her Escaflowne movie or some other shoujo anime instead.
Unread 09-06-2002, 03:59 PM   #21
AlchemistMerlin

she doesnt watch regular soaps...just the spanish ones...atleast she used to now she doesnt really watch those...plus i dont speak spanish so i cant really watch the spanish soaps ^^; uhhh.....as to the "My parents wont stop coming to cons with me"....its not like im gonna follow them around the con...once they are old enough (13-14) they have free roam and me and my wife go off on our own to explore the con...i will refuse to be one of those overprotective psyco parents like my mom ::Shiver:: and if the kids dont like anime then i wont force it on them...they go as they wish...although i really hope that they do like anime or they are going to become very disturbed children with their both anime fans lol(trust me, the girl i marry will be an anime fan...all the girls ive ever dated have been anime fans)
Unread 09-06-2002, 04:01 PM   #22
AlchemistMerlin

hmmm...can you find the places in that post where i meant to use the word "parents" and forgot to put it in? lol....im half awake and its only 5:06 pm
Unread 09-06-2002, 04:15 PM   #23
AlchemistMerlin

Quote:"They said they didnt want me to be an " Anime losser" for the rest of my life. "
My parents said something along those lines...so thats when i started hanging out with the goths, punks, and druggies in my town....bring home 1 girl that has 3 piercings not on her ear and who wears lots and lots of spikes and has a vocabulary like a sailor and your parents will be happy to have you going back to being an "anime loser" hehehe unfortunatly this effect only lasts for about a year
Unread 09-06-2002, 05:34 PM   #24
Kitty
uallshittalktoomuch

LOL My dad wants me to make $ off of it! He was happy when I made some cash at ax in long beach
Unread 09-06-2002, 08:45 PM   #25
NeoDrifter

my mom says I'm wasting my life and money, although she doesn't care if I go off by myself with a few friends to Baltimore unless someone question's her parenting then she becomes overprotective.
Unread 09-06-2002, 09:28 PM   #26
s0ni-chan
ms. s0nified

*Sigh* Spanish soap operas are outta control. My mom is crazy, she distinguishes anime as "Sailor Moon", which was my first obsession. I have to correct her. But she's starting to get bitchy. She doesn't want me to dress up as FFX Shiva, because "its too revealing" ... newsflash...was Jenova revealing?! I think not!

And another thing, she doesn't want me to cosplay Lime from SMJ because of the thong thing outside of Lime's shorts. I feel a headache coming along because of her. Yet, she'll let me run around in my Nadia costume. God, parents make no sense. My dad though, he knows nothing about my cosplaying. He had trouble with me wearing wings, I'm sure he'll have trouble with me dressing up as anime characters. Jeez. Someone needs to seriously give them an open-mind.
s0ni-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2002, 09:29 PM   #27
s0ni-chan
ms. s0nified

hmm.

Last edited by s0ni-chan : 04-07-2006 at 02:26 AM.
s0ni-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2002, 09:39 PM   #28
Tenshi
Needs more sparkles

My parents don't care about me going to conventions, at least the convention part of it. My only problem is that they won't let me travel to conventions, since I am the only person out of my friends who likes anime enough to go to cons and cosplay ^^;;. They're very overprotective, but they mean well.

When it comes to cosplay, they didn't like it at first, but they grow more helpful every day. Especially my dad, who helped me cut styrofoam correctly, gave me some nice wire for a skirt, etc. When I start my Suu costume I want to make the wings out of plexiglas, which my dad should like (he works in the glass industry). Plus, I have a grandmother who used to make crazy costumes all the time. I'm fortunate I'm not the first in my family ^^;;.

Next Up:Mad Hatter Tamaki (Ouran Host Club), Tuxedo Mask (Sera Myu) and Kaitou Sinbad (Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne)
I declare this The Year of Making Epic Jackets
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2002, 09:46 PM   #29
Dr. Makoti Jean
The Mad Scientist

s0ni-chan I have the exact same kind of parents like you do! My mom thinks anything that has big colorful eyes and pretty costumes is "Sailor moon". So I have to correct her also. I don't know about my stepdad about how he feels about cosplaying. My mom also understands about me cosplaying too, but she doesn't want me to get a job to get money to make my costume. She says I hafta study everyday for the Regents exams for high school. >,< I'm not a friggen computer! GAAAHHH! *falls off a twin size bed* x.x

Dr. Makoti Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2002, 09:56 PM   #30
KuroBara
dog of the military

>He told me that I'm crazy and gay to be wearing wings.

*looks at her wings, then at her boyfriend* This will be such a shock to him! ^_^

My parents always ask how much money I'm spending on cons. The travel thing worries them too. "You're going to NYC?!?" "Yes mom. In the daytime with 5 other people. Just like the 10 other times I went last year and didn't get mugged / raped / killed."

They've never actually watched any anime with me. Everything is "Sailor Moon", or some horrible mangling of "Mononoke". They never say it's kid stuff though, I think they understand the animation for adults thing. Lol, I should go ask my mom if she read the article in her Disney magazine about "Spirited Away".

My dad's a trekkie, so I explain cosplaying & cons like that. He's ok with it. My brother gives me shit, so I turn around and tease him about his love of professional wrestling.

I visited a friend from school on my way home once, and while I was there, I helped her hem a very pretty elaborate medieval gown. Then I saw pictures of the Amidala & Mulan costumes she made for her Vietnamese daughter, they were better than what I see at I-Con! She helps my friend make all of his too, they're so amazing. Why can't my family be like that?