Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Archives > Anime Expo New York

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-06-2002, 11:46 PM   #31
TyJILDown
...rawr!~

Quote:
Originally posted by gunboy
"Gook shit"?? Some of us take major offence in that. It's not even funny. Your family got to get with the times and be a little less insensitive.
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you in any way shape or form. I was just quoting my mother. If I did offend anyone, I apoligize.

I was just pointing out some people just don't care about anime or anything and say stupid comments in regards to it. X_x;;

Unread 09-07-2002, 12:05 AM   #32
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Man... Just think how our kids are gonna grow up...
"My parents won't stop coming to conventions with me!"

Yeah sounds like my kid in the future.......he's definelty gonna be dressed as lil trunks for the first con (still deciding one what happends if i have a daughter)...buy anywho, SOMEONE'S COSPLAYING AS SEIFER FOR Anime North?!?!? We need to talk ASAP

CHris
AIM:Griever824

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2002, 01:09 AM   #33
Shadow Lady
SunnyD addict

I'm glad my parents are ok with this kind of stuff.

My Mom went with me to my first convention (had to get a ride somehow) and she thought it was interesting. She kept saying things like "Who's that?" and "Did you see that person?"
She was a little shocked however when she accidently picked up the wrong artbook. It was funny.

My Dad doesn't seem to mind the cosplay thing (being the Halloween nut that he is).

My Grandma thinks its cool that I know some Japanese and she said she likes to stand in the middle of my room and look at all the neat anime stuff.

I've even got my little brother into anime. I got him hooked on Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, and Haunted Junction. (I think he likes Tenchi Muyo too)
Shadow Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2002, 01:23 AM   #34
Adella
MalonxLink 4 EVAR11

My mother thought that conventions.. anime.. and costuming was freak stuff and stupid. THEN she excitedly demanded to attend Anime Expo for a day. That same day she got to see how happy my sister and me were in our costumes getting photographed.. she saw how harmless and cute it was.. and she got to see me get put on TV. SHe realized "It's just another hobby.. an obscure hobby.. but one that's harmless. at least my child is using her creativity and making something instead of going out and smoking pot and partying!"
Unread 09-07-2002, 05:15 AM   #35
Dragoon Knight
The Lonely Knight

Yeah, everyone is a kid at heart. It's fun to do something you like, and take pride in. Since I first started cosplaying back in 99, I've made so many friends, and my sewing skills have improved so much since then. Also some of the new friends I have made are very dear to me, and I don't want to see the "fun" aspect of cosplay be ruined for them. Its all fun, and not to be taken seriously. My best friend who is also a great cosplayer has helped me get back into shape, and I'm very thankful to her.

Glad my dad accepted what I do, cause I'd make it a living nightmare if he ever tried telling me cosplay and anime, and cons are a waste of time. They do consume a lot of time and $$$, but sometimes you just gotta tone it down like Kitty said.

And it's lucky to have a brother and sister's who are into anime and cosplay and going to conventions. Too bad right now my dad has my lil brother and youngest sister on a leash, so they aren't going to Ani-Magic...sorry Kitty, but they cant go ;_; and you won't be able to molest Quynn now, but maybe you still can anyways ..lol

Last edited by Dragoon Knight : 09-07-2002 at 03:43 PM.
Dragoon Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2002, 10:38 PM   #36
Oshi
Rugged. Like the moon.

I'm gonna try to bring my brother Mark down to Otakon this year with me... Dunno if he wants to cosplay or not yet ^_^;
Ten bucks says my mom will refuse to let him come.
Oshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2002, 10:40 PM   #37
Adella
MalonxLink 4 EVAR11

weeee to cosplay!
Unread 09-07-2002, 11:23 PM   #38
Oshi
Rugged. Like the moon.

w00t! My dad just said the best thing ever that I can quote him on how much of a prick he is!
He was having trouble finding the remote, threatening to get rid of the TV, and yelled "IF I DON'T GET WHAT I WANT, WHEN I WANT IT, THEN NOBODY GETS ANYTHING!"
asshole, ne?
Oshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2002, 03:24 AM   #39
Adella
MalonxLink 4 EVAR11

wow that's amazing o.o;;;
Unread 09-08-2002, 09:38 AM   #40
Chosuke
Le Chevalier

That's really horrible.
I'm glad I have my own mom and stepdad e.e;
Though my mom doesn't mind me watching anime or even cosplay [she sit's beside me sometimes while looking through pictures and says which ones she likes ^^;] she does seem to be bothered by cosplayers showing too much skin,especially younger ones.
My stepdad on the other hand is the one who introduced me to con's and has more Anime and anime merchandise then I do I think x.x;;;

Cho's Wig Commissions - Click here for information, examples and a free quote!
Chosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2002, 09:59 AM   #41
Ranma Saotome
DeShawn Pilgrim

You know...

I actually showed my grandmother pictures from Animazement 2001. She said I shouldn't go because I am the only black person there and if somebody gets shot I will be blamed for it. O.o WTF?!

I mean, my mom supports this, she knows I enjoy it. Hell, it ain't her money. And as for school, I'm paying for it. Digiko Omi, I'm expecting to see you at Anime NEXT. Say the word, I"ll come pick you up in a jeep and bring you there ourselves!
iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/anime-jam-session/id280235645
Anime Jam Session on the VOG Network, LIVE! Tuesdays @ 9:30PM EST: www.VOGNetwork.com!
2014 Convention Schedule: Magfest 8.5, AAC, DerpyCon

Ranma Saotome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2002, 10:02 AM   #42
Ranma Saotome
DeShawn Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally posted by Oshi
That's already happening right now.
Anime Jam Session on the VOG Network, LIVE! Tuesdays @ 9:30PM EST: www.VOGNetwork.com!

Unread 09-08-2002, 10:04 AM   #43
Ranma Saotome
DeShawn Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally posted by Starwind824

Yeah sounds like my kid in the future.......he's definelty gonna be dressed as lil trunks for the first con (still deciding one what happends if i have a daughter)...buy anywho, SOMEONE'S COSPLAYING AS SEIFER FOR Anime North?!?!? We need to talk ASAP

CHris
AIM:Griever824
Yeah Chris... I see myself running around as Ranma and my son as Chibi-Ranma!

If you have a daughter, dress her up as Videl or Pan!

Unread 09-08-2002, 10:22 AM   #44
Keurblitz
My Gender: Female

I can understand why parents can be a bitch to handle sometimes. They care, sometimes a lil' too much, but they care. Well, for convention wise, as long as I don't spend too much money (well, I have a parttime job, so I get to pay them back some of the money) and I go with atleast 1 friend, then basically they won't mind. Heck, as long as I keep my grades up, they better shut the hell up. If my brother's 30 and can still watch Looney Tunes, I have the right to be an anime fan!
Unread 09-08-2002, 04:41 PM   #45
John Booty
The Waffle Truth

Ah, man. I'm sorry some of your parents are giving you a tough time.

I'm 26 and my parents think it's a little silly that I go to anime conventions all of the time. But, then again, I also have a good job and lots of interests outside of anime, so I think that helps too. Also, I don't live with them, so they don't really see me wearing/working on costumes, which ALSO helps.

My dad's pretty old- like 67. So it's tough for him to imagine animation as anything but "for kids". I mean, it's not that he's THAT closed-minded, but, still... animation WAS for kids as far as he knew for what, 60 years? Hahaha. Also, his earliest memories of Japan are Pearl Harbor and WWII, so that doesn't help. So, as much as I love anime, I can understand where he's coming from.
John Booty is offline   Reply With Quote