Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Archives > Anime Expo New York

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-09-2002, 10:14 PM   #61
Oshi
Rugged. Like the moon.

I won! Mostly! My mom is all good with me going to cons during the school year as long as 1) I don't cut Fridays to go, 2) I don't travel too far, 3) I keep my grades up, 4) I don't spend too much.
Pretty reasonable... but it means I can't go to AnimeBoston or Animazement unless they fall on a holiday... shit, maybe not even Katsu... well, I got AnimeNEXT secure, at least ^_^;;
She understands that the main reason I go is to hang out with my friends (*insert awws from audience here*)

and she was always cool with the cosplay part. As long as, again, I don't spend too much on it, money and time.
Oshi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-09-2002, 10:41 PM   #62
Ranma Saotome
DeShawn Pilgrim

Oshi, read your LJ about Animazement and add me to your list damn you!
iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/anime-jam-session/id280235645
Anime Jam Session on the VOG Network, LIVE! Tuesdays @ 9:30PM EST: www.VOGNetwork.com!
2014 Convention Schedule: Magfest 8.5, AAC, DerpyCon

Ranma Saotome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2002, 11:08 PM   #63
AlchemistMerlin

i have to say that all of you are very lucky you have parents who understand..... sigh...
AlchemistMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2002, 12:02 AM   #64
Oshi
Rugged. Like the moon.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ranma Saotome
Oshi, read your LJ about Animazement and add me to your list damn you!
Done and done. yes! Animazement right after I get out of school! Awsome!
Quote:
Originally posted by Alchemistmerlin
i have to say that all of you are very lucky you have parents who understand..... sigh...
Parent. Just my mom understands. My dad... well, he really doesn't give a crap ^_^; So I guess I scored in both areas.
Oshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2002, 12:36 PM   #65
XxNANA_AYUxX
....hi....

I went to AXNY with my mom and she had just as much fun as i had. I only went for one day (the next day i came back just to pink up my art i left at the Artist Gallery) My mom wanted to stay in the hotel and stay all 3 days. so did I . She said "you should of made a costume!!" And now she's helping me out, looking for hot pink fabric for my first cosplay outfit *tee-hee*
travelling to the place
we once dreamed of.
~Daybreak

My lil home on the webby

XxNANA_AYUxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2002, 12:38 PM   #66
Ranma Saotome
DeShawn Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally posted by XxNANA_AYUxX
I went to AXNY with my mom and she had just as much fun as i had. I only went for one day (the next day i came back just to pink up my art i left at the Artist Gallery) My mom wanted to stay in the hotel and stay all 3 days. so did I . She said "you should of made a costume!!" And now she's helping me out, looking for hot pink fabric for my first cosplay outfit *tee-hee*
That's sweet! Since you are in NJ, will you be coming out for AnimeNEXT?
Anime Jam Session on the VOG Network, LIVE! Tuesdays @ 9:30PM EST: www.VOGNetwork.com!

Unread 09-10-2002, 01:25 PM   #67
XxNANA_AYUxX
....hi....

I wish!!! but i'm moving to Miami!!!
travelling to the place
we once dreamed of.
~Daybreak

My lil home on the webby

XxNANA_AYUxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2002, 02:46 PM   #68
Ranma Saotome
DeShawn Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally posted by XxNANA_AYUxX
I wish!!! but i'm moving to Miami!!!
WEll thereare plenty of cons in the south.

Unread 09-10-2002, 03:28 PM   #69
engrish

Rosiel quote:
"Unfortunately, as long as you're in their house, you're their kid. X__X The only way to do what you want is to move out and pull the plug on the phone."

*nods head in agreement*

You can be 60 years old and still be considered your parent's "kid". At least some parents think like that and if yours just happens to be like that then there's not much you can do to change their minds. As long as you're under someone else's roof then you can not have ABSOLUTE freedom. Maybe 95% but never 100%. Granted living on your own can be a HUGE finacial expense but whoever said freedom was free?

getting back to anime:
My parents don't mind me cosplaying, it's the crossplaying that has them worried. Whenever I go prancing around the house dressed in my schoolgirl outfit getting ready for my next con my dad just sits on the couch, arms crossed with a dissapproving look on his face, and makes weird grunt sounds. My mom just shakes her head and reminds me to keep a low profile because she doesn't want her friends to find out about her only son's "hobby". I guess they're hoping this is just a "phase" in my life. I would like my parents to appreciate my hobby a little more but I guess you can't make everybody happy. Some of my fav cosplayers are crossplayers. It takes skill to do a good cosplay but even more so if it's crossplay.

Anyways since I pay for all of my own hobbies that gives me more leverage. he he I'm all for freedom but if you're going to use someone else's money then you must accept whatever stipulations the person demands even if it's not in you're own interest. If you don't like it then use your own money, that's just my opinion.
Unread 09-10-2002, 09:45 PM   #70
Quies
Insanity's Realm

wow. this was a rather interesting read-i just read all 5 pages.

my mom's going to let me run around a-kon bymyself-but she is driveing up there with me, my friend, and her mom. the mothers are going to go shop for..garden supplies of something O_o. (oh, i'm only 16 so she's still a bit protective)

when my mom first saw anime she was like "but their mouths don't match the words!" of course, i had to eplain it was originally in japaness. and she doesn't like how much money i spend on manga. she's decide i need to learn japaness so it's cheeper and is actually gonig to look for a way for me to do it. i'm all for that.

engrish- i'm personally afraid to tell my mom i want to crossplay as eriol..i never know how she's going to react. just today she was worked up because i'm not in the top 10%(8 fricken people away, do you know how annoying that is?).
i don't even really know about my dad. he just leqaves when ever i'm goning to watch anime, which is fien because i really don't care to find out their reactions beacuse it seems it could be a LOT worse.

argh..now i ave to go color my art project somemore..i swear i'm gonig to have coloring hangover when this thing is done.
Unread 09-11-2002, 03:22 AM   #71
KuroBara
dog of the military

Hmm...as for crossplaying, girls can get away with it much easier. After all, many male anime characters are very feminine. I'm considering crossplaying as Joji / George from "Paradise Kiss" (obscure, ne?), but he's bi & wears eye makeup & slightly fem clothes anyways. Just hang in there engrish.
Unread 09-11-2002, 11:30 PM   #72
kirillian
The Connoisseur

Reading thru the threads made me so much more grateful that my parents are v supportive of my anime-related activites. Of course it helps that I'm "out of their hair", being gainfully employed and all (which really reduces snide comments on spending too much money on anime stuff) But seriously, as long as you can show to your parents that you can "balance" both anime activites and school/work (yeah, that does mean being a excruciatingly polite and responsible son/daughter), I'm v confident that your parents would tone down their resistance, especially if you can show them them that anime fans are generally more "civilized" than most sports jocks or headbangers. I actually had a friend sneak some really good anime stuff "below the radar" so to speak to get her parents to appreciate anime more (think "Princess Mononoke" or/and other Studio Ghibli productions Good luck!
kirillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2002, 12:45 AM   #73
digikoomi

Well now they just allow me to stay in NJ/NYC T_T I wish to go to Japan Comic Market though ...
digikoomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2002, 03:26 AM   #74
Ranma Saotome
DeShawn Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally posted by digikoomi
Well now they just allow me to stay in NJ/NYC T_T I wish to go to Japan Comic Market though ...
Hey, it's a start!

Unread 09-12-2002, 09:29 AM   #75
diqitaldreams
Rock Lee Fangirl!

o.o I'm asian, my mom was so against me cosplaying. She thought it was for "improper" people. When I came back from Otakon -- after forcing my way there -- I showed her the pictures that I took there and made her realize that there were people who cosplayed.

My mom never really bothered me on anime because drawing is my life and anime is, somewhat, like my motivation. ^___^; She's helping me with several costumes because she knows that it'll keep me outta trouble and probably keep me away from the clubs when I move to Philly this month. xD Mom is smart for understanding that anime, computer, and video game kept me outta trouble.

T_T But ...to tell you the truth, not to single out anything, but Asian parents are the hardest to convince. Especially the old fashioned and conservative parents that grow up in the "mainland". T_T;; .. I was as solid as a rock when I supported cosplaying and anime -- that is, until my mom broke. ^.~ Finally.