Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games

Unread 05-27-2003, 09:25 PM   #1
newmyu
Waiiiiiiiii!!!

Question Newcomer with ?'s about a Samus costume...

Hello!

I'm in the process of figuring out how to go about making a Samus Aran costume for the Iowa Convention in August...

I have several ideas, but I need someone to help me field them out...

I've seen some posts talking about using fiberglass or plastic, but I think that the suit would be too heavy for me if I used those.

Right now, I'm looking at getting a black stretch catsuit and making each piece of her suit seperately, sort of, in a way, like a giant jigsaw puzzle...

I think that using a black foam of some sort and then putting a thin layer of (?) over it to make each piece would work, but I'm not sure what material to use...

My thinking is that this would keep the suit light, fairly cool, and flexable, but the layer over the foam would still give it the gloss similiar to the metal of her suit...

Right now, layer materials I'm looking at are things like craft foam (in the correct foam, coated with a gloss finish), or craft metal (embossing metal sheets) sanded lightly and primed/painted.

I have several ideas for the visor and the various lighted parts of the suit, if I could figure out what to use on the outer parts of the pieces...

Does anyone have any suggestions what I could do for this? I have wracked my brains, and I forgot to get some of that craft foam today to try it out with a gloss varnish-like paint.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
newmyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-27-2003, 10:35 PM   #2
JacksUsername
Palahniuk fanatic

You sound like you have a good idea of what you want. the fiber glass would be really cool, but like you said, would weigh down the costume enormously.

You said the con is August, so my main advice for what you've said so far, is that even with just foam, it sounds very dangerous to be in really crowded hot conventions wearing that costume. Make sure you have a place to get water in right away and also very very good ventilation. It sounds kind've dangerous.
JacksUsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2003, 10:41 PM   #3
newmyu
Waiiiiiiiii!!!

I'll have my husband there with me (not costumed, though) and make sure he keeps a bottle of water handy at all times. Thanks for the concern though. I just read a previous post about using styrene (sp?) plastic over the EXACT foam I was referring to earlier, so I think I have it, actually.. (if only there was a metallic yellow and metallic orange car model paint... I'll have to look!)

Anyhow, again, thanks for the concern, not to mention the reply. I definately think that the helmet will be off for the most part, unless someone wants to take pictures..

I also have big ideas for the "glowing" lighted parts of the suit.. Hopefully I'll get this done and get to display it this August!

Molly
Unread 10-01-2003, 04:40 PM   #4
Conspyre

Samus's armor shell material

For the covering for the foam, you might try lexan. It comes in thin sheets designed for radio control car stuff, and there are an array of paints specifically formulated to stick to it. Since it's clear, you can paint it on the inside, which makes the paint unchippable. (that's what you do on R/C cars so they always look shiny)
-Conspyre (who wants to do a Samus suit for his G/F, but is in school and broke)
Conspyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2003, 06:14 PM   #5
SailorAndromeda
is eating your cake.

Quote:
Anyhow, again, thanks for the concern, not to mention the reply. I definately think that the helmet will be off for the most part, unless someone wants to take pictures..
I think you'll have that helmet on a lot then, hehe
At Otakon there was a Samus and she was bombarded with pictures. It sounds like you have a good idea going though, can't wait to see it!
SailorAndromeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2003, 11:19 PM   #6
Riflip
Mostly Harmless

I, too, am hoping to make a Samus Aran costume. If I ever get up the nerve to dress up and go to a con I don't want to run into someone with my outfit. (happened at prom, what a bummer.) So, you have to promise not to come to texas and I won't show up in MO. Deal?

Anyway, I would love to see how you are faring as you put the costume together. Please keep me posted!
Unread 10-03-2003, 11:50 AM   #7
Eccoglyph
Born to be stressed

<g> Yay! More Samuses...Sami? One day, there will be a Metroid photoshoot! I hope I can be of some help - I was the Samus from the Smash Bros skit @ Otakon.

I wanted to use fiberglass but didn't have the time, was warned by an artist against it, and my mold flopped. Heh - So I went with polystyrene. Foam was suggested, but I was stubborn and wanted it to be as much like armor as possible - though I have seen foam armor done well.

I wore a black unitard, with only the upper arms and elbows attached. The other pieces were all separate - helmet, torso/shoulders, lower arm, gun, thighs, legs, feet. They were interconnectable with hook&eyes - took about 15 mins to dress, with a helper.

Mine was Metroid Prime Samus, so I didn't have to worry about finding orange - used gold, lime gold, red and transparent candy green metallic paints from a hobby store. (You can check out my costume page to see how the colors turned out).

The weight was no problem - it was very light. The bigger problems - heat (it was bearable, though) and mobility. I widened the joints for greater range of movement, so walking and dancing Thriller were fine. But I couldn't bend much, my ankles and wrists were a little cut-up - and the big one - I couldn't sit. So there are a lot of cons to this plastic idea, but not enough to keep me from wearing her again. (No worries - I'm not going to Texas or Iowa.)

My helmet was a modified motorcycle helmet, which was ok, but never accurate enough. Will redo when I figure out how. SailorAndromeda's right - be prepared for pictures. Samus is popular and rarely done (for obvious reasons.) You will end up wearing that helmet constantly, so make sure you can breathe and see.

I used glowsticks for the suit lights, which looked really neat - in the dark. Wasn't worth it for walking around the con - too bright to notice. If you can wire your suit, that might be better.

If you want specifics on anything, just ask. I hope this was at least a little helpful!
Eccoglyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2003, 01:52 PM   #8
Riflip
Mostly Harmless

I have a brilliant idea! *If* I can pull off this costume I would like to round up all the other Sami. Just think...a new paint job on the original and WHAMO you have the Varia Suit, Gravity Suit and Phazon Suit. After than all that is needed is the Fusion and Power suits, and you have every incarnation of Samus. (that I know of anyway) Maybe we could even find a look-alike for an unsuited version....

Anyone interested?
Riflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2003, 05:56 PM   #9
X-2_Shion

That is such a cute idea. I being from Florida cosplay stock vote for myself Metroid 2's ending: bikini samus. Everyone could do it and email their Samus pictures or post them if they live in different states. In all seriousness, I admire anyone who takes on that hard of a project, I still have an unfinished kos-mos and 2 near finished x-2 popstars, lol. I've always wanted to do Samus since she was from my era and had I a gamecube I probably would have done so by now, by rule of fandom.
X-2_Shion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2003, 06:41 PM   #10
newmyu
Waiiiiiiiii!!!

I WAS going to do a quick rendition of Samus as she appears at the end of Fusion, but I never got around to it. As it is, I'm working on another costume right now, so Samus has been put on the back burner *is having SUCH a hard time transferring 2D proportions to a 3D perspective*

Anyhow, right now I've still only got the arm cannon done. When I get more, I'll post about it. The foam looks awesome though, and I've changed my mind and am working on a Power Suit version instead.
Unread 05-03-2004, 03:36 PM   #11
Rinoa Heartilly

Im planning to dress up as Samus too XD! Im planning on wearing it next year. Im using foam and glueing a plastic on top of it so its flexible yet looks like armor. So far I have made the pattern of the shoes. Any suggestions on how to make the huge round things on her shoulders?
Rinoa Heartilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2004, 01:22 AM   #12
Icetigris
Internets Winner

o_O Wow, I didn't realise there were this many people that wanted to cosplay as Samus. I'm planning the Metroid Prime Varia Suit for sometime in the distant future (though I have thought about doing the Phazon Suit instead).
Unread 05-10-2004, 01:34 PM   #13
Eccoglyph
Born to be stressed

I bought pre-made spheres for the shoulders, from a plastic manufacturer in NYC, but online stores like the US Plastic Corp sell them, as well. I'm not pleased with the way mine came out, though - I knew they were too small, but as someone pointed out to me, they're not supposed to be real spheres. They're flatter on the dorsal and ventral sides. Other than using a vaccuutable, I can't think of another way to make them seamless. Anyone else?
Eccoglyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2004, 10:34 AM   #14
newmyu
Waiiiiiiiii!!!

Well, I'm STILL working on my Samus costume, only things have changed a bit and I'm getting a little more experience and better ideas of what I want...

Now I'm changing my thoughts and I'm going to use polystyrene (I believe) and build it more... properly..

I'm also likely going to end up doing the gravity suit... (the purple one).

I've got big plans for it, but I just haven't had time to really get working on it... of course, this happens when I finally actually get all of the materials for it.. Isn't that just like life? :P

Anyhow, when I re-build the arm cannon out of the plastic, I'll post pics, and I'll try to remember to keep a pictoral diary for those who might want to attempt it too.

Feel free to email me or whatever about the costume... or post here.. I'd love to hear other people's ideas for how to do it!
Unread 06-06-2004, 11:06 PM   #15
BadMoonRising
crossplaying Samus monkey

Here's a novel idea. If only I had come up with it... There's one guy who made a Guyver (spelling?) suit using hot glue. You can check out his site at www.bioweapons.com.

My friend and I are currently making a Varia suit using the tutorials on the Bioweapons site (we have the knees down currently). The results have been interesting. The glue armor came out very bumpy and many small "canyons" in it. This gave it the imprestion of being battle scarred, and it gave the suit imperfections that you can't achive with foam or other materials. It felt kind of wrong at first because Samus's suit is supposed to be smooth and shiny, but it's grown on me. I'll hopefully get some pics up soon.
BadMoonRising is offline   Reply With Quote