Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Cosplay Suggestions

Unread 01-07-2017, 12:05 PM   #1
LoveD.Va
fazooma

Unhappy Cosplay problems!!!

Hi! I recently found out about the whole world of cosplay through video games and really want to start. However, there's a couple of problems.
1. I have a HUGE nose! It's not as much of a problem from the front as it is from the side, but all of the characters I'd like to cosplay as have small noses.
2. I have no idea how to sew. I'd like to learn but currently I can't get a machine. I think for now I'll just buy my costumes, unless that's a bad idea.

Anyway, the character I really want to cosplay as is D.Va from overwatch, but I don't think I look anything like her plus my nose is too big.

If you don't think I should still attempt to cosplay as D.Va, any suggestions of characters I could cosplay would be appreciated.

(P.S I'm 14 so suggestions that kinda work for my age please?)
LoveD.Va is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-07-2017, 06:55 PM   #2
Shienra

Seriously, if you want to cosplay as D.Va, then do it! How many people actually look like videogame characters? c; Even if you don't look like the character, it shouldn't stop you from doing it. (besides I'm pretty sure you'd look amazing as D.Va)
Like said before so often, it's about fun.
And if you can't sew, that's not a problem. You can either take your time to learn it (maybe you have family/friends who can help as well?) or indeed buy your costume. No one will judge you for that.

Chloe Price - Life is Strange
Ciri alternative outfit - The Witcher
Merrill - Dragon age 2 (2018)

//Instagram//Facebook(cosplay)//
Shienra is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2017, 02:49 PM   #3
Syon
leads the crusade

Yes, you do not look like D.Va. And you'll probably find pictures of D.Va cosplayers, who resemble her a lot. But if you love her so much, is this really going to stop you form cosplaying her?

Also regarding your sewing problem, D.Va is also an execellent choice. She is pretty popular right now and her bodysuit should be easy to find online. So you aren't pressured to learn sewing right now (and a bodysuit is also not a beginner friendly piece to start sewing with). Instead you could use this cosplay to first focus on crafting things, like her gun or headphones, which you should also be able to find a ton of tutorials about online.

Working on: Paletress (50%) + upgrading Jainas staff with lights
Next convention: RPC
Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2017, 09:22 AM   #4
gules
Only slightly dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syon View Post
Yes, you do not look like D.Va. And you'll probably find pictures of D.Va cosplayers, who resemble her a lot. But if you love her so much, is this really going to stop you form cosplaying her?

Also regarding your sewing problem, D.Va is also an execellent choice. She is pretty popular right now and her bodysuit should be easy to find online. So you aren't pressured to learn sewing right now (and a bodysuit is also not a beginner friendly piece to start sewing with). Instead you could use this cosplay to first focus on crafting things, like her gun or headphones, which you should also be able to find a ton of tutorials about online.
This. If you're in it for fun, there's no need to worry about buying or whatnot.

The only related etiquette I know is that you don't pretend that you made anything you didn't. So no costume contests since those are based on technical skill, and if people ask about it, just tell them the name of the place you got stuff from. If you made your own weapons, etc, of course take credit for those!

This is a good time to work on props and/or wig techniques. Wigs are a B*TCH to work with IMO, and you kind of want to find out what doesn't work early, before you make your own cosplay only to get angry at a stubborn, sad wig. You can work on makeup too. I'm personally crap with makeup and wish I knew before my first cosplay.

(PS: Syon, I, too, know a dog behind a desk.)
gules is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2017, 08:42 AM   #5
Malagan

Your nose isn't very noticeably large.

Had you not pointed it out, I don't think it'd ever occur to me to focus on such a detail. You could probably pull off D.Va if you'd want to. You certainly have the eyes for it (In fact, I think you've even got her eye colour?)

Of course there's always some person out there who looks like the spitting image of a particular character and yeah, can't top people who just look like the character from the get-go. That said, if D.Va is who you'd like to cosplay, you don't look dissimilar enough to raise an eye brow. Some make-up and a wig usually makes up for the basics.

Can't really suggest an alternate character, because it's very hard to know what a person is familiar with. Would be a bit odd, I'd say, to suggest someone cosplay a character they've never heard of from a franchise they're not familiar with!

As for the sewing... Got no advise to offer, I'm afraid...
Malagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2017, 10:58 AM   #6
Milky Bubbles
(◍•ᴗ•◍)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveD.Va View Post

Hi! I recently found out about the whole world of cosplay through video games and really want to start. However, there's a couple of problems.
1. I have a HUGE nose! It's not as much of a problem from the front as it is from the side, but all of the characters I'd like to cosplay as have small noses.
2. I have no idea how to sew. I'd like to learn but currently I can't get a machine. I think for now I'll just buy my costumes, unless that's a bad idea.

Anyway, the character I really want to cosplay as is D.Va from overwatch, but I don't think I look anything like her plus my nose is too big.

If you don't think I should still attempt to cosplay as D.Va, any suggestions of characters I could cosplay would be appreciated.

With cosplay, you don't have to be spitting image of the person you want to dress up as. That's not how cosplay works! Of course, makeup helps us achieve the looks but if you base how to cosplay off whether or not you look enough like them to cosplay them, you're not gonna do much! I surely know I wouldn't.

You can easily find D.Va zentai suits online and make alterations to it as you see fit.
There are actually quite a few good ones on Aliexpress that have fantastic reviews which I will list below for you to look at! Of course, the more detailed the suit is, the more it will cost you.

This one comes with the armor and is very detailed! Has 31 reviews, almost 5 stars.
Here is another! 2 Reviews, 4.5 stars.
This one is just a zentai suit and is the cheapest! Has 5 stars.

Just go for it, cosplay because you love the character not because you look just like them! Besides, half the time we're all so covered in makeup we don't recognize ourselves when we leave the hotel rooms. :P

-Classic Sailor Moon
-Various Overwatch stuff
-Cardcaptor Sakura

fυтυrε cσsтυмε(s):

cσмρℓεтε∂ cσsтυмε(s) σf 2017:
None yet!

cσηvεηтισηs ι αттεη∂/ωιℓℓ вε αттεη∂ιηg:
Animazement 2017
Colossalcon 2017

Milky Bubbles is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2017, 03:51 PM   #7
StarsOfCassiopeia
Sparkle & Shine!

^ Everyone else nailed it-- cosplay what you love regardless of what you look like, and you'll have a great time.

D.Va is a good choice for now because Overwatch is popular, and you can buy a lot of what you need online already! Pre-printed bodysuits are a great way to start, and her wig isn't hard. If you wanted a bit of a start crafting yourself, you could do the armor pieces with foam.
  • Blanche (Pokemon GO): 82% (Sewing) Katsucon 2017
  • Lelouch [Emperor Robes] (Code Geass) : 4% (Patterning) 2017
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2017, 03:27 AM   #8
funnytony

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveD.Va View Post

Hi, you can go to Vcosplay.com and find your favorite characters to cosplay as.
funnytony is offline   Reply With Quote