Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Cosplay Suggestions

Unread 02-01-2016, 12:13 PM   #1
Cloudsofsand

best insoles for high heels?

I was just at setsucon and could only wear my heels for 15 min, i am going to katsucon in 9 days, any suggestions for insoles to make them more comfortable?

Unread 02-01-2016, 12:48 PM   #2
roseandzippin
White and Nerdy

Dr. Scholl's makes an awesome insole for high heels called DreamWalk! You can get them for about $12 at Walmart, and they're so cushy. It lasts all day, too. And they're specially made for women's high heels!

Future:

Megacon 2016 - Saturday, May 28 as Fem!Link from Twilight Princess

Previous:
Walker Stalker Orlando 2015 - Sunday, June 28 as Beth Greene
MegaCon 2015 - Sunday, April 12 as Fem!Castiel
roseandzippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2016, 02:02 PM   #3
fabrickind
Aspiring Senpai

Honestly, insoles can only do so much. If you could only wear your shoes for 15 minutes, I'd say there is a bigger problem there than the bottoms of the shoes not being squishy enough.

Where exactly do they hurt? Insoles are good for two things: creating extra padding on the bottom (great for those heels with hard bottoms or thin bottoms where the pressure of putting your feet down while walking creates pain), or helping redistribute your weight (but only to a point when it comes to off-the-shelf insoles that you'd put in heels).

If you have that much pain with your shoes, it's probably an issue that insoles won't easily fix. The shoes may not fit right (either because of size or shape of feet), or they may not be balanced right, or something else (if they are rubbing on your feet, break them in better and use some moleskin to prevent that). Clearly, they aren't working for your feet, and insoles aren't going to be the easy quick fix you're looking for if they're really so bad you can only wear them for a few minutes at a time.

I would recommend bringing an extra pair of shoes and only wearing the pretty ones for photos. It's not worth potentially messing up your feet (and back, and joints...) to wear the nice ones all day at a con.

If the issue truly is that the bottoms of the shoes aren't squishy enough and you need a bit more support, or that you need some different arch support? Insoles should help in that case. But that isn't the kind of pain that usually happens within 15 minutes of wearing them.

You can try the insoles and see if they help, but if you still have pain with them, you may need a different pair of shoes.
fabrickind is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2016, 02:07 PM   #4
Cloudsofsand

Its at the ball of the foot on each of them, their two separate pairs by 2 seperate companies. We are talking 5-6 inch heels

Last edited by Cloudsofsand : 02-01-2016 at 02:19 PM.
Cloudsofsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2016, 11:39 AM   #5
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

This might sound like a dumb question but have you trained your feet to wear heels? Or are you starting with the 5-6 heels?

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2016, 01:04 PM   #6
fabrickind
Aspiring Senpai

If it's at the ball of the foot, then insoles might help.

Though, I also have to wonder if you have trained your feet to wear high heels. You can't usually just jump into 5~6" heels and expect to be able to wear them well, since it takes practice to know how to distribute your weight on them.

Also, I used to wear almost nothing but high heels, and I still wear heels all the time at cons, but even I wouldn't brave wearing 6" heels all day. 4" is about my personal limit (and can be perfectly comfortable, depending on the shoe). Have you considered getting a slightly lower heel? Even 3~4" is still pretty tall. I think my one pair of black heels that I wear with practically every cosplay is 4" tall.
Unread 02-03-2016, 10:28 AM   #7
Enkai
Spiffy!

It depends on your foot type quite a bit. I have very high arches that mean that without insoles, pretty much all my weight ends up on a small spot on the balls of me feet. I have a pair of Walking Company insoles that I swear by for getting me through the day at cons. I still don't brave 5-6" heels, nonetheless (not great with the balance), but they work great for me with 3-4" heels. They are pricy though. I think mine set me back $70, but I switch them between shoes, and it is a small price to pay for being able survive a convention.

The reason I like them over drug store ones is that they are rigid and provide true arch support better than anything else I have tried. The ones I have also have an extra pad at the ball of the foot that distributes load to a larger area of the ball of the foot.

But that is me and my screwy feet, which are pretty screwy (I also have ankle issues that make controlling my weight distribution difficult).

If that is what you want, I am still not sure if you can get them in time for your con though. My local store didn't have my size in stock when I got them; I had to order to pick up in store, and that took over a week. They ship from North Carolina (I am in California), so it may be faster for you.

Next Events
Nor Cal Summer Cosplay Gathering
Minna no Anime Halloween Party
ALA 2016
Fanime 2016
Enkai is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2016, 08:40 PM   #8
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkai View Post
It depends on your foot type quite a bit. I have very high arches that mean that without insoles, pretty much all my weight ends up on a small spot on the balls of me feet. I have a pair of Walking Company insoles that I swear by for getting me through the day at cons. I still don't brave 5-6" heels, nonetheless (not great with the balance), but they work great for me with 3-4" heels. They are pricy though. I think mine set me back $70, but I switch them between shoes, and it is a small price to pay for being able survive a convention.

The reason I like them over drug store ones is that they are rigid and provide true arch support better than anything else I have tried. The ones I have also have an extra pad at the ball of the foot that distributes load to a larger area of the ball of the foot.

But that is me and my screwy feet, which are pretty screwy (I also have ankle issues that make controlling my weight distribution difficult).

If that is what you want, I am still not sure if you can get them in time for your con though. My local store didn't have my size in stock when I got them; I had to order to pick up in store, and that took over a week. They ship from North Carolina (I am in California), so it may be faster for you.
I have insoles by them and they are amazing. *_* My feet are screwy too for weight distribution too though.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2016, 02:27 PM   #9
Cloudsofsand

I wore 3-4 inch heels when I was in school because I went to private school, it's just been 4 years since I wore them on a daily basis
Unread 02-04-2016, 06:53 PM   #10
fabrickind
Aspiring Senpai

In that case, it's probably an issue of your foot shape not matching up with the shoe shape, which happens. (I somehow got (un?)lucky and ended up with feet perfectly shaped for high heels, but not everyone has that! I also have very high arches, though, so YMMV on arch height and heels.)

I'd go for the insoles that Enkai recommended over something cheaper that just adds padding. I haven't used those exact insoles myself, but it sounds like you want something that redistributes your weight more than you want something that just pads, which is what most cheap drugstore insoles do. Though, this depends on getting them on time.