Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-12-2007, 10:38 PM   #1
Tenkage-chan
Oldschool Sephy Fangirl

Juuni Kokkii: Twelve Kingdoms Cosplay

I can't believe there isn't a thread about this. So! I have taken it upon myself to start one!

The Twelve Kingdoms is an anime based on a novella series, and is set in an alternate world based on Chinese mythology. It's an excellent story, and there are tons of beautiful cosplay designs in the series. I highly recommend checking it out!

This thread is dedicated to all cosplay that is Juuni Kokkii. Those who have cosplayed, or are planning to cosplay from the series are welcome here!

To kick things off, I'll start with my Juuni Kokkii plans. For me, my plan is to cosplay as Yokuhi for Anime Expo 2008. For those unfamiliar, Yokuhi is the Nyokai (guardian youma) of Enki/Rokuta, Kirin of the kingdom of En. She's a bird-woman with the tail of a lizard. It's gonna be quite an undertaking for me, especially since I've never done wings before, but I like a challenge!
Princess Shoukei: Twelve Kingdoms~ 100%
Kamiya Kaoru: Rurouni Kenshin (Jin-e Arc)
Serra: Fire Emblem~ 100%
Click To Visit The Cosplay Teahouse!
Tenkage-chan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-12-2007, 11:43 PM   #2
Bahzi
Hi gaiz!

Yay, a JK thread!

Well, as you know, I cosplay Enki. I also took posession of a Youko school uniform and a Keiki costume recently, and Miyabi and her boyfriend are going to probably wear them this Friday at Sugoi, and I guess I'll wear Enki again.

I love this series soooo much. I've got the artbook (I only saw a picture of Keiki's Nyokai, who's name I beleive is Kaiko or something like that), first novel, and have read some of the online translations of the other novels.

Here's a forum just for JK too if you're interested: http://12ktp.inspirelight.net/forum/index.php

Yay, I can't wait till AX now!
Bahzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2007, 11:45 PM   #3
kimu
merciful kirin, really ;p

yeah! Twelve Kingdoms.
You've picked a big challenge! That should be a great costume when you're finished.

I am starting on a Sairin costume.
I want it done by next spring, for Fanime, and other things. I'm not sure I'll go to AnimeExpo unless I know enough people going and had a group to travel and stay with.
I've got the patterns picked out and bought enough muslin to make things the first time to customize. I've got my fabric estimates ready to go, just need to have some time to head to one of the cities for fabric shopping. Can't find the stuff I need locally, unless I wanted to make it out of quilter's cotton....
;p

Thank you for starting this thread!
kimu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2007, 04:36 AM   #4
Hikaruchan
Have camera, will travel

I've got several JK costumes done, and will probably be adding 2 more sometime in the next year or so. My nyosen Shoushun costume is the one I wear the most.
Hikaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2007, 07:43 AM   #5
Tenkage-chan
Oldschool Sephy Fangirl

Hurray for Twelve Kingdoms cosplay! Perhaps, if enough of us are planning it, we could plan a gathering at some con, some time. ^__^

Last edited by Tenkage-chan : 11-13-2007 at 05:58 PM.
Unread 11-14-2007, 09:29 PM   #6
Eva Yui
OMGWTFBBQ

This is one of the most awesome yet unappreciated animes! I would really like to add this to my to-do cosplay list. Anyone going to Otakon? lol I would like to do that female Kirin, Kourin. I haven't seen the series in awhile I got up to episode 50. I really think it's amazing I got to get my guy to watch it and recruit more cosplayers.

My deviantart

Next stop!: Katsucon
Current cosplay(s):
Rei Ayanami [school-girl ver.] (100%)
Rena Lanford //Star Ocean: The Second Story (100%)
Upcoming cosplay(s):
Medusa Gorgon // Soul Eater (90%)

Last edited by Eva Yui : 11-14-2007 at 09:31 PM.
Eva Yui is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2007, 09:57 PM   #7
Bahzi
Hi gaiz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalStar View Post
This is one of the most awesome yet unappreciated animes! I would really like to add this to my to-do cosplay list. Anyone going to Otakon? lol I would like to do that female Kirin, Kourin. I haven't seen the series in awhile I got up to episode 50. I really think it's amazing I got to get my guy to watch it and recruit more cosplayers.
There were only 45 episodes in the series... ^^;

But Kourin would be awesome, I've only seen 2 and both weren't in person.

Much love to the Kirin!
Bahzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2007, 10:22 PM   #8
FullMetalSam
Beyond Dream Cosplay

cool a JK thread... and you're right I've never seen a cosplay thread on JK... unbelievable. But it might be because it's kind of an old anime (I don't quite know... but on my con forums I asked for "Classic" I should watch no matter what and Twelve Kingdom was in everyone's mouth :P).

So I watched the whole thing in about 2 weeks (I loved it... really great story, great character, great design... what could you ask more ??? :P).

Since I've finished it, I've wanted to add a "Formal" Shoryu (when he dressed up in his "royal garb") to my cosplay list... but I just have too much "on the table" right now. Though when I'm going to get tired of doing armor... Shoryu is going to be my first "getting back into sewing" project
Unread 11-15-2007, 05:14 PM   #9
wyldbratling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkage-chan View Post
I can't believe there isn't a thread about this. So! I have taken it upon myself to start one!

The Twelve Kingdoms is an anime based on a novella series, and is set in an alternate world based on Chinese mythology. It's an excellent story, and there are tons of beautiful cosplay designs in the series. I highly recommend checking it out!

This thread is dedicated to all cosplay that is Juuni Kokkii. Those who have cosplayed, or are planning to cosplay from the series are welcome here!

To kick things off, I'll start with my Juuni Kokkii plans. For me, my plan is to cosplay as Yokuhi for Anime Expo 2008. For those unfamiliar, Yokuhi is the Nyokai (guardian youma) of Enki/Rokuta, Kirin of the kingdom of En. She's a bird-woman with the tail of a lizard. It's gonna be quite an undertaking for me, especially since I've never done wings before, but I like a challenge!

I loved that series and am quite peved they never finished, the anime ends right in the middle!

Good luck on your cosplay, leme know if I can help.

Future Projects:
Steampunk/Victorian Goth dress - Costume Con '08
Generic Pirate Wench # 1 - Anime Expo '08
WoW Naga
BT ./hack
Little Miss Muffit & Spider
Butterfly Court
Firebird
wyldbratling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2007, 05:30 PM   #10
kabuki_ikenie
Super Collider

i've just started watching it (i'm just on ep 9) but i'm SO in love with it. i have seen some awesome regal outfits and those are one of my cosplay weaknesses XD

SOS-project coming soon! no, it's not about haruhiism XD

cosplay.com chilean edition: "we're many and we're manly!" :cobracool:
kabuki_ikenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2007, 11:55 PM   #11
kimu
merciful kirin, really ;p

Let's talk fabric choices.

I've looked for pics online to see what other cosplayers have been doing, and I have noticed quite a few choosing brocades for many of the characters.
Including some Keiki and Enki with an indigo-dark blue brocade pattern.
Considering this series has a Chinese mythology theme under it, and certain characters are wearing finer outfits....
But usually cosplayers try to avoid fabrics with shine and often go for cotton-base fabrics for comfort, too...(which is what I've done with my other costumes.)
While I would never use a satin or use a cheaply made fabric that would give a tacky look for a costume, what are the rest of you using for costumes from Twelve Kingdoms?
Thought I'd get some additional opinions before I get my chance to go to a really good fabric store.
kimu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2007, 12:08 AM   #12
Tenkage-chan
Oldschool Sephy Fangirl

In my personal opinion- it's usually just what you come across. I never have anything specific in mind, but I take my time wandering around the store to see what matches my outfit, what I like for feel and look, and of course whatever has the best price. Always try hitting the discount sections first, you can usually find hidden treasures!
Unread 11-23-2007, 01:14 PM   #13
kabuki_ikenie
Super Collider

mmmm... i'll suggest opaque satin: it looks luxurious, it has some weight and it doesn't shine like crazy under lighting or flash.

after much, much searching i found an image of yoko as kei-ou... the image itself it's gorgeous, it screams "COSPLAY ME! NOW!", but the only problem i have before i start planning my next move is the front design from the waist part.

check out the attachment for more hints. i don't know what to do. should i add something from the anime design and adapt it to the style of the ilustration? or should i pick something chinese or japanese and create a graphic in that style?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JK2S.jpg (80.8 KB, 0 views)

Unread 11-23-2007, 08:25 PM   #14
Tenkage-chan
Oldschool Sephy Fangirl

Kabuki_ikenie: Ah, that one. If I may suggest a simple solution? Start hitting oriental stores, and see if you can find a wall-hanging, or silk table runner of the correct size or style. Once you have one in a style you like, you can always modify the size and shape, and add hemming in the right color. Most likely, the design is either a phoenix or dragon.
Unread 11-24-2007, 05:56 AM   #15
kabuki_ikenie
Super Collider

that's such a GREAT idea, tenkage-chan!!! thanks