Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-14-2011, 03:52 PM   #106
myalchod
reflections and dreams

Hallo, Seifer-sama! Always great to have another person over here. :3

I'm afraid that's the only picture that I'm aware of with Youko in that armour; the novel art is fairly sparse, and one or two pictures seem to be the norm. I'll double-check through the postcard book I have at home tonight and see for sure if there isn't anything else, but it's likely you're either going to have to extrapolate or blend.

... and speaking of armour, I really need to get cracking on my novel-cover Risai armour, especially if I want it done enough by the end of September ... <_<;;

(And better late than never -- but Seven, your armoured Yoko looked lovely when I saw it at Fanime!! Hopefully things'll work out with schedules next year so that you can join us at the gathering. :3 )
Elisabeth - red ballgown (Elisabeth - Takarazuka version)
Thessaly (Sandman - The Kindly Ones)
Elsewhere: Journal ~ ACP ~ CosplayLab
myalchod is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-15-2011, 02:29 AM   #107
Inoli
I Nom Swords

Welcome Seifer-sama! Indeed we DO exist ;D trust me we are not as fabled as one might believe! I'd love to see what you come up with, particular interest with Shoryuu's armor. ;3

I myself will be going for Naotaka Saburou Komatsu's armor- something about the 13/14th century armaments, the beginning of the samurai and that historical period that gets me fan girling! sadly it will take a while..... a long while *sigh*

I'll be trying to leap into Shoryuu's travel clothing.....wait to last minuet like a proper King of En. hopefully Gencon in August will yield some good pictures of the new embroidery I did for his Hanfu. ungh. 20 yards more of hand embroidery to go before I call this cosplay done. LOL..... oops and the sword

anyone showing up to Fanime 2012..... I WILL be there! and I WILL have a fancy camera and I WILL be doing any and all things I can in 26 yards of fabric to get That perfect shot of your costume so be prepared ;D

[/color] [/size]
Inoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2011, 11:20 AM   #108
myalchod
reflections and dreams

Went back and double-checked the postcard book: did not find another picture of that armour, though there's yet another version of Youko in what looks a little like a breastplate ... and a lot of fabric covering whatever other armour she's wearing. XD So I'm afraid that there are, to my knowledge, indeed no other shots of that.

Thread = motivation. Dug the leather out of the Inaccessible Closet last night and started diagramming up the armour in craft foam. Mind, need to make the kimono before I can get onto that, but drafts can't hurt ...

Inoliiiiiiiiiiiiiiii. <3 Does this mean I can beg you to destroy my arm again for Fanime? ^_^ (And cannot WAIT to see your Shoryuu upgrades. PICTURES!)

(PS: photos from this year's Fanime courtesy of one of the staff photographers.)
Unread 07-15-2011, 12:23 PM   #109
Seifer-sama

@ myalchod: Thanks for the welcome, glad to be here!

Thank you for offering to look for other shots for me. I think perhaps what I will do, is much like with Shoryu, I will just make some stuff up. :P That's the fun part about costumes like these right? As for that other armor she had on the postcard you have, was it a similar design to the anime? I would be curious in seeing it if it was a different design, that is, if it's not too much trouble.

Threads are wonderful for motivation are they not? I look forward to some progress pictures hopefully.

@ Inoli: I am so glad that you guys do indeed exist. And wow, I can't wait to see you do Naotaka's armor. I looooove armor~ And I really would like to see some of your hand embroidery shots. It's a beautiful but dying art, sadly.

@ myalchod & Inoli: Were you two at Fanime this year? I saw a few shots of some Twelve Kingdoms cosplayers and it's really what inspired me to do Yoko. If all goes well, I am hoping to have her finished by Fanime '12, so if it was you guys, I hope to see you there next year!

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%
Charlotte Elbourne - Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - 20%
Meier Link - Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - 10%
A-ko - Project A-ko - 80%
Minwu - Final Fantasy II - 20%

Planned Projects:
Mia Fey - Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Sorceress Edea - Final Fantasy VIII
Beatrix - Final Fantasy IX
Sailor Moon / Princess Serenity - Sailor Moon (Someday!!)
Seifer-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #110
myalchod
reflections and dreams

We haven't managed to kidnap Inoli successfully for Fanime yet, so she wasn't there, but several folks from this thread were, myself included. If you do have Yoko for Fanime next year, I hope we get to see you! It always makes me ecstatic to see more love for this series. (And even if you don't, will still hope for a chance to meet randomly in the halls or somesuch. XD )

I'll see about putting up that particular illustration for you when I can my hands on a scanner next (hopefully within the week). From the little I can see it's neither the anime armour nor that colour design, though I could theoretically see it being merged with the latter ... (I really should try to get that whole postcard book scanned at some point. Maybe next time I housesit and have the scanner right there ...)
Scant references = wild extrapolation and cross-referential shenanigans -- fun times, IMO. It's still nice to have more to go off, though.

So while I'm thinking about it: here is the version of Risai I'm working on (potentially spoilery cover for the second Tai novel, if anyone cares <_<;; ). I'm trying to figure out what the thing around her left wrist is -- it looks like a highly-abbreviated leather wrist brace/cuff, but I have no idea what practical purpose it'd serve offhand. Anyone got ideas or a historical predicate? I can still work off what I can see there, but it's always nice to know what you're making if there's a reason for it ... especially if that'll inform the construction.
Unread 07-15-2011, 01:50 PM   #111
Seifer-sama

@ myalchod: Ah okay, but it looks like Inoli is kidnapped for next year though. If you guys do a gathering I will certainly be there. Knowing there are other cosplayers that are planning on being at Fanime will help motivate me to finish it by then. :P

That would be wonderful if you could post the image for me. I would really appreciate it. I have a pretty difficult time searching for references from the series in general, so I can see why having a postcard book like that on hand could be really useful. Perhaps I should look into purchasing one. (If I can fin one. Ha ha!) I do agree though, if you have a bit of free reign on the costume, it makes it more your own work of art. I was thinking of carrying that floral design she has on her shoulder to the breast plate (at least I think it's a breast plate).

As for Risai, the thing on her wrist is a bracer (a short one though). I actually have one about that size. I don't think they serve any purpose but to look cool. But maybe they help protect from wrist sprains. :P

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%

Planned Projects:
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Unread 07-15-2011, 02:02 PM   #112
myalchod
reflections and dreams

Oh, we'll have a gathering ... ^_^ And yes, Inoli-kidnapping!

I don't remember where I found the postcard book anymore, only that it had a bunch of the novel illustrations and I grabbed eagerly. XD It meant I didn't have to go buy a bunch of the novels (or beg the friend who had them in Japanese to scan the art for me), so ... :3 (Whatever I do have currently for general JK refs is here, FYI.)

I was thinking bracer but I've never really seen one that short before -- part of me's wondering if it's mostly to hold those giant sleeves everyone seems to wear in place rather than to provide much defensive value. There are bits of 'em visible in some other armoured shots now that I look, but they vanish under sleeves and I always think of them as longer. Hmm ... one more thing to beat up ...
Unread 07-15-2011, 08:36 PM   #113
kimu
merciful kirin, really ;p

And I'll be at Fanime yet again! For me it's been great to go from being the only JK cosplayer at Fanime to now a whole gathering!! Such lovely costumes, such fun people. Having even more awesome people join us there will be great. (Even though I wish I could travel east to meet the Queen of Sai cosplayer!)
Thanks for posting the link to the gathering pics, Myalchod!
kimu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2011, 10:44 PM   #114
Inoli
I Nom Swords

@_@ I come back after a long day of work to see me being kidnapped? WELL I highly doubt my advisors will buy THIS story ;D

@Seifer-sama I've found embroidery to be my Zen. Angry day at work, take a 15 and work on a little bit here and there and I'm happy again. I'll admit that I did the lines for the gold on my machine however I think couching would have been much faster! The "wave" Pattern on the smaller strip of gold shall be embroidered by hand. just choosing a colors is being rather difficult. [Ironically working on Shuurei from Saiunkoku Monogatari and playing with some stitching to use for En later.]
Armor the best part of cosplay outside of the props! I'm biting at the bit to get my hands on the armor. Doing research into the under garments and such. I'll be pulling from the anime for the color scheme. Good luck with your Armor for Yoko! I do hope you can make it out to Fanime, I've heard far too many good things not to willingly be kidnapped.

@myalchod I would of had shots of what I did manage to do with the machine, however the last time I wore En with the new wig my poor Enki and I were harassed by a ton of inappropriate jokes- so I skipped out went to the bar, hung out with a beautiful woman till quite literally my Enki found me again and dragged me to some...show. so no real time for shots XD
>3 oozy flesh ton bits on your arm!? ohoh oh can I?! I'll have to stock up on my bruising wheels! >)

in general I think we all kinda mish mosh the Novel art and the anime together to get the effect most appropriate. I for one have the detailing on some of the novel and cover arts yet kept with the anime colors. I know I'll be running with more historical references come Naotaka's armor...not sure about blue though, really isn't completely historically accurate if I remember... *puts on glasses* must continue research on that though.

[/color] [/size]
Unread 07-15-2011, 10:49 PM   #115
tatterpixie
it's good to be the Rat!

I too will absolutely be at Fanime again, with Rakushun! I HAVE SO DECREED. I have a bit of repair work to do on him -- his ears got kinda mangled from the way I packed him back up, so that's something I'm going to have to 1) fix and 2) ensure doesn't happen again. I'm going to look at the photos that were taken, too, to see if there's anything else I need to adjust. ^_^

@Inoli: Yeh, that's exactly what I did with the Rat -- combined elements of the book illustrations/postcards and the anime. It makes me happy that everyone likes him so much! ^_^
Pinako Rockbell (Fullmetal Alchemist)
tatterpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2011, 11:12 PM   #116
Inoli
I Nom Swords

@Tatterpixie Ah! I cant wait to see your Rakushun in person! Haha I'll be more then happy to take plenty of reference shots for you ;D

I'm ever so Glad Fanime is so far away and yet at the same time, cant it be tomorrow? At this rate Fanime will be the JK spot to Gather. Maybe Then my Dear Kimu We will find you a Queen ^.~

[/color] [/size]
Unread 07-16-2011, 10:40 PM   #117
Seifer-sama

@ myalchod: Well I don't want to jump the gun, so I won't join the gathering just yet, but I will enlist myself as soon as I am certain I will make it there with a finished costume.

Well wherever you found that book, it certainly was a good find! As for the bracer, I can't be sure of it's purpose, but holding those giant sleeves would make sense. :P I can't imagine they would be much help for defense though.

@ Kimu: The only Twleve Kingdoms cosplayer? Way to be a trend setter!

@ Inoli: Hey kidnapping wasn't my idea, but at least you aren't opposed to it. :P Embroidery is much the same for me, it's relaxing to sit at home with music or a movie and just embroider. Choosing the right color is always difficult and definitely has to be tested on the fabric you are using. It's funny how it can look like the right color on the shelf but then look completely different on your fabric. I learned that one with my Terra cosplay... very quickly... Armor though, yeah I agree, armor is the best. I find that one of the reasons I pick certain cosplays is because they have interesting armor. Fanime is a blast, so you can count on me to be there! I will have to come check out your gathering even if I don't finish Yoko in time, I would love to see all these Twelve Kingdoms cosplays in person.

@ tatterpixie: Oh you were the Rakushun!! I saw pictures of your costume and just thought they were so adorable! The rat has always been one of my favorite characters in the book and in the series. I really look forward to seeing yours in person as well!

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%

Planned Projects:
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Unread 07-17-2011, 12:00 PM   #118
kimu
merciful kirin, really ;p

It was deemed by multiple proclamations that every Fanime JK gathering with Rakushuun present shall end with him being group hugged!

And as for that short bracer--let's not also discount one more thing--random bling just for the bling of it?

As for armor...got some books laying around here, but a lot of it was black that I recall having seen in museums--including that little one in Kyoto. But the lacing colored used might give it an overall tonal difference. Wonder if they went with a blued color for that reason? Don't think they were going to want to draw all the lacing designs in every panel....
kimu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #119
Seifer-sama

I bought my Yoko wigs yesterday. I haven't quite decided if I want to do just the ponytail or something a little more fancy. Any thoughts?

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%

Planned Projects:
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Unread 07-22-2011, 12:03 AM   #120
Seven
(Neoqueenhoneybee)

Wow, lose internet for a month and look what I miss! I'm so glad that this thread lives on.

Seifer-sama - I can't wait to see what you come up with! I've been dying to see some cosplay of that version of Youko for some time. ^___^ It really sucks that there are no more images, but you can always base it off real samurai armor. (I know of at least one Youko cosplayer who did that. Still dying to see how it turned out too!) Please post progress pics! (Which wig did you buy?)

myalchod - Oh thank you!! Lol, I've decided to add to it, like a half breastplate and perhaps some shin guards...but I do love my monk socks! Next year I am definitely not going to Fanime, as I am attending AX instead. It'll be my 10 year anniversary for AX, so it's kinda a special year. I *HOPE* there will be a JK gathering there? (Love your Risai cosplay, btw)

tatterpixie - I still want to steal you away for a non-con shoot, since we live nearish each other, but I will definitely wait until the fall. I couldn't possibly ask you to wear Rakushun in the heat!!! TT_TT

So I have a new JK cosplay dream...one which will not be realized for a few years, as I'd have to learn about mechanics. I really, really want to cosplay as Sanshi. I'd like to get her back legs to move and I'm reading on different ways to make centaur costumes. I also want to make the vertebrae sway like those segmented snake toys where you hold the tail and watch it move. Lots of hopes, but I have no knowledge of how to make it happen. So yeah, maybe in 2013. (And for east coast cons only) LOL. For now I'll have to focus on finishing my battle Youko and Suzu. (I do need a real Youko sword...should think on starting that. I wish I knew a PA based prop maker...)

Working On:
Leen (Grandia)
Goku Nami (One Piece DBZ Crossover)
Nico Robin (One Piece Water 7)
Elesa (Pokemon B/W)

In Queue:
Mei (Pokemon B/W 2)
Panne (Fire Emblem Awakening)
Illumi (HunterxHunter)
Janice (Chrono Cross)
Mir (Ar Tonelico)
Toph (ATLA Old Friends)