Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 05-29-2003, 01:11 AM   #1
Usagi Mylene
Um.. No!

Spray Painting Boots/Shoes?

Has anyone tried this? I was watching Crib Crashers and they were spray painting black skates to gold but they were used for a lamp. I started thinking becuase I need purple boots with strings on the front. I have only found white ones.

Let me know if anyone has tried this and what your out come was. I found some boots on ebay for 5 bucks so I'm thinking of just trying but wanted to get some input first.

Thanks!

"Te Castigare... En el nombre de la Luna!!" ~*Sailor Moon*~
Usagi Mylene is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-29-2003, 02:05 AM   #2
ZiggyB
The Fuzz

I was recently at a costuming panel at BayCon. They said that if you need colored boots for an emergency then go for it. But it'll probably only last that night as it'll start to crack and peel after one day.
ZiggyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2003, 02:11 AM   #3
Isaldur
a.k.a. OoTLink

It'll probably crack and peel while you're enjoying them lol.

I bet it'll work fine on plastic. Leather is another story, depending on the paint it'll look all ugly and stuff..

If they're cloth go for it
Isaldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2003, 02:14 AM   #4
Usagi Mylene
Um.. No!

Thanks for the info. I guess I should leave it for the last resort. I need to see if I can get the boot covers to work first...

It won't be leather it's just shiny plastic/pleather. I ran out of fabric for the boot covers and the store won't know if they will get the same color again for not....
Usagi Mylene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2003, 06:10 AM   #5
melloncollie

i think dylon wwwdylon.co.uk (maybe.com in the us) does a shoe colour thing that from what i gather isnt a dye so you can go lighter and stuff.... (might need afew layers)
melloncollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2003, 11:00 AM   #6
MonoyashaJLA
Creature creator

I know shoe polish will work, but I dont think they make a purple color
MonoyashaJLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2003, 05:24 PM   #7
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

There is a spray paint for leather shoes called "Magix" but I don't know how well it would work on PVC/plastic.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

www.costumecon32.com

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2003, 06:15 PM   #8
Catatonic_Van

Try using fabric paint, use a sponge brush to apply it. The paint is stretchy enough to not crack and it adheres well to leather as well as fabrics of all sorts. It also very brilliant so it looks very anime-esque
Catatonic_Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2003, 12:28 AM   #9
ainslye
Did I do that?

If you use spray paint, do NOT use glossy. it's won't dry and your shoes will be eternally half-wet tacky. everything your shoes touch will turn that color. I'm told that matte spray works and I'll be testing that theory at otakon 03.
ainslye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2003, 01:58 AM   #10
dianannsano
Ooooh la la!

That reminds me... For my Yuzuki boots, I bought black ones, but I want them navy blue. Does the suggestion of buying navy blue shoe polish work on black?
dianannsano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2003, 03:02 AM   #11
Sailor Naboo
Cosplay Reformer!

I bought special paint made for shoes on QVC. It doesn't crack and comes in about 25 different colors.
Sailor Naboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2003, 04:04 AM   #12
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

I heard fetish paint works on vinyl / PVC, but don't quote me.
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2003, 10:43 AM   #13
Tenshi
Needs more sparkles

There's vinyl spraypaint that is specifically designed to flex. I've never seen it in purple, though :/. You also might want to try painting with acrylics. I used acrylic paint to make my Pretear shoes and they haven't yet cracked (and I've worn this costume an awful lot ^^). Just don't step in anything moist.

Next Up:Mad Hatter Tamaki (Ouran Host Club), Tuxedo Mask (Sera Myu) and Kaitou Sinbad (Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne)
I declare this The Year of Making Epic Jackets
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2003, 12:51 PM   #14
PZB
Silk Fiend

They make shoe spray paint, but it typically will scratch off, especially if you have the bad habit I do have tripping over your own feet sometimes (though it really did fit the costume I had to spray the shoes for.)

Basically, it'll really only work if the boots will absorb whatever you try to use. If not, they're just going to chip and flake all day (leaving a lovely purple trail for people to follow you by. )
PZB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2003, 06:49 PM   #15
lialia
mmm....Lifesavers :P

i used red fabric paint on top of tan workboots for my tifa and they look just like they cam that way. it sounds like you are trying to make sailor saturns boots. if i were you id get a pair of the white non shiny boots and test out a layer of purple fabric paint on the inside top to see how it looks and grabs. if all goes well with the test apply layers on the same spot to make sure you can get the right degree of color. it should work on matte shoes., shiny ones have a tendency to reject every attempt at coloring them

make sure you get regular pabric paint thta comes in lil jars and not the puffy paint. it might take a few jars tto do such a big project but it will be worth it
lialia is offline   Reply With Quote