Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 11-19-2007, 12:28 PM   #1
Lothlin

Black Rose- A dilemma

I may end up cosplaying Black Rose from .Hack in the future (http://dra-gon-web1627.hp.infoseek.c...-mimiru-07.jpg she's on the left,) since a friend is going to let me borrow the armor and sword, but I have a problem. As my gallery will ultimately show, I am very pale. I am so pale that I can put on a black wig and take a picture and it'll look almost black-and-white. I am so pale that if the sunlight hits me right, I GLOW. I am so pale that my foundation is titled 'alabaster'.

Yet Black Rose is very tan. So, I mostly want opinions on this- Would it be better to say screw trying to make myself darker and just do her tattoos, and just go with being pale since that much makeup without an airbrush would be dififcult, OR would you all say I should go the extra mile, get the darker makeup, and just take an hour putting on makeup in the morning?

...Though, to be honest, I'm a bit afraid of being called racist, which is the main reason I'm waffling a bit on the subject. Guh. So, really, your opinions would all be very appreciated ^^
Lothlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-19-2007, 01:38 PM   #2
shonen_jidai
Ganbatte minasai!

Don't worry about your skin color, just go for it! The whole question of skin color and cosplay is a long running one that probably will never end, but I'm firmly on the side of cosplay whatever character you want. So don't worry about the skin color and do the best Black Rose you can.

And, of course, if you choose to use some skin makeup to darken your color, that's okay too. No sane person would consider that racist. As always, make sure you have fun with this! ^_^
parent's guide
shonen_jidai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2007, 03:09 PM   #3
Faerie
Once Upon a Time...

yes she's a character I always considered cosplaying, and I'm very pale as well...I wasn't planning on making my skin darker though...I was just going to go with it...I thought it would look okay...the only thing I could think of as looking bad would be yellow on pale skin...I'm not sure how that would look...shouldn't be too bad though! good luck to you
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2007, 06:01 PM   #4
Queen Anime 99
Call me Queenie. :D

Don't worry. I see people with tan make-up on all of the time (I'm African American, by the way). As long as it's not like straight-up blackface make-up (big red lips, pitch black make-up, etc.), then it's cool. However, you don't have to put on tan make-up. It's up to you. No one's going to complain whatever you do.

Anime Weekend Atlanta 2013
Will Graham (Hannibal) - Saturday & Sunday

MomoCon 2014
1. Generic Ninja - Saturday
2. Will Graham (Hannibal) - Sunday
Queen Anime 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2007, 06:06 PM   #5
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

I'd recommend you not bother, actually. Black Rose has a lot of skin showing and it's very hard to get that much skin a single even color, or a natural-looking color at all. If you're familiar with Fran from FFXII, this comes up a lot with her too and it's one of the things that can torpedo a costume the fastest. A great costume, even a nice or mediocre one, looks like CRAP when it's worn over poorly-done darkening.

People fuss about not being the right color for their costumes all the time, and so often there's just no good way to effect the change. In those cases, and I think this is one of them, better to set a nice relaxed example that people of any shade can cosplay whatever they want.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2007, 06:14 PM   #6
Lothlin

That was another of my worries. ><

Guh, I won't wear it until Acen at least though, so it's not like I don't have plenty of time to decide.
Unread 11-19-2007, 07:13 PM   #7
Jonetsu
Seamstress Extrordinaire

The makeup is a huuuuge pain. I know, I did Fran, and I'm very very pale normally.

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1272919

That's how my makup turned out. I used ben nye cream foundation in chinese, with finishing spray before and after, and powder. I still got anything white I came in contact with brown, and it took me an hour and a half or so each morning to do. of course, I think it turned out looking great! I didn't have too many streaks (I'm a huuuge perfectionist, so I got it all blended nice and even, wasn't too hard, actually) And one cool thing you could do with that, is to make a stencil of the tattoos, lay the shape over your skin, and makeup around it. when you pulled it off, I think the color change would actually be just about right. ^^ Also, depending on whether you plan to wear this all weekend or not, you could simply go into a salon and pay the $25 or whatever it is to be professionally spray-tanned. You can choose the exact color and everything.

~Planned~In Progress~Wishlist~Completed~

~Nolanverse Harley Quinn~Seras Victoria~Fran~Rayne~L~Faye~Lulu~Gaara~Priss~Harley Quinn~Sei~Maya Natsume~Nuriko~Femme Vash~Rouge~

I do take commissions! They're high-quality, one of kind pieces custom-made for each client!
Jonetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2007, 07:30 PM   #8
Lothlin

wow! That DOES look awesome, and not streaky at all- I think I may end up trying that (I can totally understand being a perfectionist, it's why I'm even thinking of bothering with the makeup.) About how much did all of that end up costing you?