Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-21-2007, 04:33 PM   #1
Akito-Kun
Yaoi Fanboy -Total Uke-

How to look more feminine when in a crossplay?

(Please move if not in the right section >_<)

Well, My friend made me wear one of her EGL cosplays for Halloween, and I have to say it was really fun! Thats what actually got me into wearing womens clothes and I would like to crossplay a little more seriously at Cons. Any tips?

Here's a pic of me in the EGL:
http://a231.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...ffd060a716.jpg
Agito Wedding Dress-Air Gear(75%)
Shuichi-Gravitation(0%)
Shuichi School Girl-Gravitation(0%)

Cons:
Sac-Anime 08'
AOD 08'
Fanime
Anime Expo 08'
Otakon 08'
Akito-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-22-2007, 11:48 AM   #2
Kieo

theres a topic liek this already somewhere. but heres 1 basic thing that will help.
try to keep the legs together at nearly all time. when guys walk, its not too nituicable but there legs are quite apart and they takke longer strides, girl legs are normally closer together and they take shorter ones.

Dead/Gothic Cheerleader (50%)
Gothic Victorian Lady
Yuki kurosu-Vampire Knights
Misagi Tohno-Air
Yuffie Kisaragi - Final Fantasy 7
Shiori Misaka-Kanon
Kieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2007, 04:47 AM   #3
kojirojames2004
Have not decided for 2014

Adorable. I love the outfit, but you could ask your friend for some tips on how to pass.
Unread 11-23-2007, 12:07 PM   #4
Tigersoul

To visually pass requires 4 things:

1. good costume (which you clearly dont have trouble with)

2. good padding (namely breasts, hips, and butt)

3. good makeup (and learning how to shade and highlight/lowlight to enhance/downplay certain features, such as sides of face, cheekbones, etc) --- I think you need a little work on this one, from the pic posted when I looked at it critically I could see no work done to 'raise' the cheekbones, which is a promanant female feature

4. femanine stance/gestures/walk (if you're doing photo-shoots, all you need is the first one, possibly second, but if you want to pass in public, you need to learn to walk like a girl too - swishing your rear, moving with your hips and keeping your legs close together (male legs tent to angle outward /\ so the feet are approximately the same disance as the sholdiers at all times while female are fairly straight, so the feet are much closer together (and I'll tell you now make sure you're wearing soft-toed shoes when learning to walk bc you'll be kicking the backs of your legs often)

Another important aspect, though not nearly as important as the others, is voice. If you want to pass in everyday life, then you have to get atleast a noticably femanine voice. Though for an occasional Con, you can wing it with being quiet and gesturing (or if you dont EVER want to break the illusion, carry a chalkboard/dry-erase-board and tell ppl you have a sore throat and cant talk) - this is a massive topic, discussed several times, but, as I said not important for short-term con-passing, so it's really optional (but MAN it's FUN to screw with ppl irl with this! my voice is naturally femanine (almsot every single phonecall I get I'm addressed as "ma'am" sometimes even after I give them my distinctly-male name!)
Tigersoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2007, 08:54 AM   #5
kojirojames2004
Have not decided for 2014

Did I also mention shapers like a corset or waist cincher?
Unread 11-24-2007, 12:44 PM   #6
animeBecky21
Goofy girly user

Yes, the walk, there was a guy at the bar last week in pretty passable drag, as long as he stayed in one place... his walk was so manly I was joking to the bartender singing "I walk like a lumberjack and it's okay" in the most absurdly deep voice I could muster.

I know a M2F who has a naturally feminine voice, who fooled me the first few weeks I knew her because of that... it's easier to pass than you think, though, it's all in what people's perceptions are. I mean, I can pass, and if you saw me as a guy you probably wouldn't believe it.
Unread 11-24-2007, 10:38 PM   #7
UncertainKitten
I am NOT tsundere!

EGL IS fun to wear. I wore it at Anime USA recently, and it really was fun. I wasn't trying really hard to pass, though I did apply make up, and learned how to walk a bit more femininly. As someone once told me about the walk, guys naturally walk on their heels, while girls walk on their toes (which is actually assisted by high heels). I also generally cross my legs a bit as I walk so that both feet are in a nearly straight line. I believe that helps with hip movement and stuff (could be wrong). I actually passed to several people when I wasn't speaking (I have a somewhat male voice I can modify, though I didn't bother as I said). If I can find better pics than the ones I have, I'll show you. Also, my costume assisted a lot, because I didn't use hip padding (I did, however, stuff a bra, which was covered very well by the outfit...in fact, the one you are wearing is really similar to mine. Isn't that style so CUTE XD?). But, still, it's mostly the face that is the single hardest thing to fix on a guy. Especially the nose in my experience. A wig with bangs easily covers brow ridge, and mascara and eyeliner makes the eyes work. But, the nose, you just can't do much with. Well, good luck on your crossdressing XD.
UncertainKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2007, 12:01 AM   #8
Queen Anime 99
Call me Queenie. :D

From the picture, you look pretty much like a girl already. I would recommend visiting crossplay.net for some tips. Good luck.

Anime Weekend Atlanta 2014
1. Will Graham (Hannibal) - Saturday
2. Will Graham (Hannibal) - Sunday
Queen Anime 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2007, 08:50 AM   #9
Akito-Kun
Yaoi Fanboy -Total Uke-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigersoul View Post
To visually pass requires 4 things:

1. good costume (which you clearly dont have trouble with)

2. good padding (namely breasts, hips, and butt)

3. good makeup (and learning how to shade and highlight/lowlight to enhance/downplay certain features, such as sides of face, cheekbones, etc) --- I think you need a little work on this one, from the pic posted when I looked at it critically I could see no work done to 'raise' the cheekbones, which is a promanant female feature

4. femanine stance/gestures/walk (if you're doing photo-shoots, all you need is the first one, possibly second, but if you want to pass in public, you need to learn to walk like a girl too - swishing your rear, moving with your hips and keeping your legs close together (male legs tent to angle outward /\ so the feet are approximately the same disance as the sholdiers at all times while female are fairly straight, so the feet are much closer together (and I'll tell you now make sure you're wearing soft-toed shoes when learning to walk bc you'll be kicking the backs of your legs often)

Another important aspect, though not nearly as important as the others, is voice. If you want to pass in everyday life, then you have to get atleast a noticably femanine voice. Though for an occasional Con, you can wing it with being quiet and gesturing (or if you dont EVER want to break the illusion, carry a chalkboard/dry-erase-board and tell ppl you have a sore throat and cant talk) - this is a massive topic, discussed several times, but, as I said not important for short-term con-passing, so it's really optional (but MAN it's FUN to screw with ppl irl with this! my voice is naturally femanine (almsot every single phonecall I get I'm addressed as "ma'am" sometimes even after I give them my distinctly-male name!)
Well For the make-up, I didn't do that (mostly because I have no idea how to >_<), one of my friends did. She went a little wild, I swear I was just a human art board for her x]

And for the voice, that is NO problem. I have a very feminine voice. People mistake me for a girl on the phone all the time, and even when im not on the phone, my voice sounds really feminine. It's pretty fun, but can get annoying xD

Thanks for all your guy's help! Can't wait for the next con im going to x]
Shuichi-Gravitation(0%)

Cons:
Sac-Anime 08'
AOD 08'
Fanime
Anime Expo 08'
Otakon 08'
Unread 11-25-2007, 11:34 AM   #10
Tigersoul

Quote:
And for the voice, that is NO problem. I have a very feminine voice. People mistake me for a girl on the phone all the time, and even when im not on the phone, my voice sounds really feminine. It's pretty fun, but can get annoying xD
Oh yes, how I loathe the telephone. Since I Was born I've always been "ma'am" on the phone... While it doesnt bother me nearly as much now, it's still a little annoying when I'm trying to, for instance, pay a bill, and they ask me soemthing like "Ma'am, that creditcard is registered to a Greg... is that your husband?" GRanted that does tell me with very little work I can pass in public voice-wise, but when they wont charge my damned visa bc of my voice I get a little PO-ed... (sorry for the mini-rant)
Tigersoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2007, 12:38 AM   #11
Akito-Kun
Yaoi Fanboy -Total Uke-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigersoul View Post
Oh yes, how I loathe the telephone. Since I Was born I've always been "ma'am" on the phone... While it doesnt bother me nearly as much now, it's still a little annoying when I'm trying to, for instance, pay a bill, and they ask me soemthing like "Ma'am, that creditcard is registered to a Greg... is that your husband?" GRanted that does tell me with very little work I can pass in public voice-wise, but when they wont charge my damned visa bc of my voice I get a little PO-ed... (sorry for the mini-rant)
Yeah, my familys friends, everytime they call, they will come over and ask "Who was that girl who answered the phone?", and it does get a little annoying, knowing that im right there when they say it -_-. I would say trying to pay for bills and stuff like that on the phone has GOT to be frustrating. I know what im never going to do when I try and do things like that
Shuichi-Gravitation(0%)

Cons:
Sac-Anime 08'
AOD 08'
Fanime
Anime Expo 08'
Otakon 08'
Unread 12-04-2007, 10:23 PM   #12
Shrukin89

Man. I feel like a woman. Bah da da da da da da.
Shrukin89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2007, 03:56 PM   #13
Kieo

Btw, that dress as adorable.

To be frank, iv enever cos/crossplayed in my life.

But i wear girls clothes all the time and continually trying to pass for a girl, but doing it hard since its without makeup or really girly clothes. I wear gilrs t-shirts and jeans alot, but mostly i get called emo which is annoying.

Dead/Gothic Cheerleader (50%)
Gothic Victorian Lady
Yuki kurosu-Vampire Knights
Misagi Tohno-Air
Yuffie Kisaragi - Final Fantasy 7
Shiori Misaka-Kanon
Kieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2007, 09:41 PM   #14
Queen Anime 99
Call me Queenie. :D

Do you wear a wig? I was looking at your pic and you seem passable. Often times, a wig (and sometimes make-up) is the difference between passing and not passing. Also, having a feminine voice helps too. Check out crossplay.net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieo View Post
Btw, that dress as adorable.

To be frank, iv enever cos/crossplayed in my life.

But i wear girls clothes all the time and continually trying to pass for a girl, but doing it hard since its without makeup or really girly clothes. I wear gilrs t-shirts and jeans alot, but mostly i get called emo which is annoying.

Anime Weekend Atlanta 2014
1. Will Graham (Hannibal) - Saturday
2. Will Graham (Hannibal) - Sunday
Queen Anime 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2007, 11:09 PM   #15
shonen_jidai
Ganbatte minasai!

@Akito-kun: you look great in that dress!

Most of the tips have been covered here already, so I'll just add that I found sitting down the right way to be one of the hardest things to master. Sitting in a chair with legs together was hard to remember at first. But even more difficult was sitting down on the floor as one often has to do if in a long line waiting for some popular panel to start at a con. Doing this without flashing in a short schoolgirl skirt is quite a challenge and may warrant some pre-convention practice!
parent's guide
shonen_jidai is offline   Reply With Quote