Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-22-2007, 11:59 AM   #1
DetectiveNoah
Like Batman, only better.

Mello scar make-up

How would I go about making a convincing scar!Mello from Death Note [with make-up]? This is the part of my costume that I'm most tentative about, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: png melloscar.png (55.0 KB, 0 views)

N O A H [n.].

past conventions:

ikkicon 2= mello [death note] & matt [death note]

upcoming conventions
ikkicon 4= franziska von karma [gyakuten saiban]

DetectiveNoah is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-22-2007, 03:12 PM   #2
verdatum
Extremely registered user

The question of Mello's scar has been asked a few times on this board. I reccomend using the search feature. further, you can generically search for scar techniques in general, as there are only a few different categories of scars anyway.

I personally like the combination of spirit gum -> cottonball cotton fibers -> liquid latex ->powder ->makeup.
Unread 11-26-2007, 03:08 PM   #3
navigated
Derp.

I use scar wax (I found a really cheap tub of it that had fibers in it for some strange reason, so really, it's almost the same process as verdatum described) and laytex, and I just do detail work with foundation, eyeshadows and what have you. It's good also (as disgusting as it is, but it really helped me) to try to look up what skin looks like after second degree burns.
navigated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2007, 03:19 PM   #4
Hyuuga Tenten
Cleverness is not Wisdom

Glue.... seriesly I have a friend who cosplays as Mello and all she did was use elmers glue let it dry, peel alittle and put diffrent red blush colors to make it look like a burn. I think it simply looked amazing.

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1259204
(CloakedSchemer)

Only down side is that she said that it hurt after awhile and that it was alittle hard to move her mouth.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go insted where there is no path and leave a trail."
~Ralph Waldo Emerson~
Hyuuga Tenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2007, 07:01 PM   #5
Koi
Promiscuous Boy

My mello used liquid latex. We were shown this technique by someone at a costume/theatrics store. It comes in little bottles, with a applicator brush.

Take a square of 1 ply (if you have two, just split it into two sheets). Rip the edges into the shape you'd like. Place it on the face, and go over it over or twice with a thin layer of latex. Don't hold the tissue perfectly flat. This way you'll get wrinkles in it that will make it seem like the skin is all melty. Give it a minute to dry. It's only take one or two.Then apply any sort of pink/brown stage makeup over top. Sponges work great for this.
Unread 12-02-2007, 01:09 AM   #6
verdatum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyuuga Tenten View Post
Glue.... seriesly I have a friend who cosplays as Mello and all she did was use elmers glue let it dry, peel alittle and put diffrent red blush colors to make it look like a burn. I think it simply looked amazing.

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1259204
(CloakedSchemer)

Only down side is that she said that it hurt after awhile and that it was alittle hard to move her mouth.
It's a nice "poor cosplayer" trick, and goodness knows we've all been there at some point . But obviously, white glue (PVA glue) dries hard. So while it may look nice on places that don't flex (like the forearm) it is a bit annoying on places like the cheek that needs to flex a lot. Also it will show as a crack where the glue stops and your skin starts after just a short while.

Just some extra info to help you make your choice!
Unread 12-03-2007, 11:58 AM   #7
navigated
Derp.

I'm with verdatum on this one, on a cheek where your skin will be moving rather frequently, the white glue will crack, and simply look like white glue. While, as stated, it's a perfectly good trick, latex is very cheap to buy and will yield longer lasting (and in my opinion) more realistic results.

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1336885
I want to apologize on behalf of my wig, it makes me cringe to look at. I assure you I now have a better one. But this is what I've come up with (and it's not looking it's best, as I was running out of supplies, but I was still alright with it) with just a 2 dollar tub of scar wax and a 3 dollar bottle of liquid latex and some cheap makeup.
navigated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2007, 02:26 PM   #8
shivachan
a little girl dreaming...

I bought this stuff over Halloween. I think it's called "creepy skin". I bought it cheap, and I never really actually tested it out. Basically it just seems like this (really gross) looking stuff that you mold over your skin.

Would this stuff work for it?

Where would you go about finding liquid latex? I wouldn't know of any stores around my area that would have that kind of stuff. If you could let me know then thanks!

Cons attending:
Otafest, Animethon, Anime Expo, CCEE

Costumes to work on:
Chie [Persona 4], Linda [Okage],
Ringo [Air Gear], Mamimi [FLCL],
Sakura [Tsubasa], Elizabeth [Persona 4],
Lightning [FFXIII],
shivachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2007, 10:01 PM   #9
verdatum

"Creepy skin" from what I see is basically the same stuf that Navigated was talking about above. It's basically wax and cotton fiber tinted to a fleshtone. I've used similar products, and I'm not a big fan. The cotton just seems to make is harder to work with and doesn't really add any beneficial properties. I prefer a product called derma wax (among other names) it's simialr, but has no cotton. so it is easier to sculpt onto the skin.

Some party stores have a small supply of halloween makeup year round. In which case, they'll often have liquid latex in one or two ounce bottles. Costume shops also sell it. Occasionally you'll find the stuff in sex toy shops, but the stuff they have is usually of sorta low quality, and often some extreme color like black (You want natural, clear, or fleshtone...which are often exactly the same thing).

I generally just get mine online. http://fxwarehouse.info is my favorite place to buy from, but a web search will reveal plenty. Unfortunately, latex does not react well to freezing so this is not the best time of year to buy the stuff. Figure out where the company is based, figure out the weather for the next few days along that general route, and don't ship by air. Calling the order company directly may help you get extra advice. They may be able to insulate it or something.
Unread 12-30-2007, 09:19 AM   #10
EGLpirate
Cosplay Ashley

I bought a foam prostetic piece thats made for the face (it has the eye cut out ect.) from Pizzazz Theatrical's local shop.
It is a little pricey & only lasts a few times, but it looks good... (sorry, no pics yet :'( )
its really better for if you only plan on cosplaying him a couple times, though.
Unread 12-30-2007, 03:20 PM   #11
shivachan
a little girl dreaming...

Thanks for the info Verdatum!

I'll try to order liquid latex and some other goodies I could use later in the year more in springtime. I don't really know when I'll have my outfit ready anyway (probably more for summer). So I really have lots of time. That site really does have anything. Wow. Special fx makeup is always so nifty. ^^

Once I get my costume all together, I hope to be able to use it multiple times. which is why I want something that I know will work good and last.

Cons attending:
Otafest, Animethon, Anime Expo, CCEE

Costumes to work on:
Chie [Persona 4], Linda [Okage],
Ringo [Air Gear], Mamimi [FLCL],
Sakura [Tsubasa], Elizabeth [Persona 4],
Lightning [FFXIII],
shivachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2008, 07:36 PM   #12
PersicomMaid
Tao is sleepy!

I'm going as mello this year at detour and i practiced some Liquid bandage. I tried some and it does make a good wrickled looks and texture. its also very flexable. the only problem i had when trying it on my hand was that it doesn't peel, you have to use alcohol to remove it. i may buy some liquid laytex since my boyfriend sells them at his work.

AniMinneapolis July 8-10th 2011
Cosplays:
Stocking - Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt - 100%
Kid Goten - Dragon Ball Z - 100%
Taokaka - BlazBlue - 100%

Anime Detour 2012
Cosplays:
Evangelene - Negima
Blair - soul eater
Protagonist (female) - persona 3
PersicomMaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2008, 08:39 PM   #13
Yo-Yo
I Love Lamp

As for the glue idea, if it is too tough, there's a way to make it more flexible. :0 Use the same mixture for the foam armor tutorial, one quarter school or sobo glue, one quarter fabric glue, and one half water. It's very good, but it takes a lot of layers this way.