Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-22-2007, 04:10 PM   #1
Bree The V.
Cosplayer Extraordinaire

The Difference between Foundation and Concealer?

Are they both the same? I'm asking because I'm confused between which one to use to cover up some discoloration and splotchy parts of my face and neck, and a bit of my torso.

A pic of my face: http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/7...cie0346rp4.jpg

See above my left eyebrow, where my hairline starts? There is some discoloration, and also the splotchy bit on my neck, which is worse on the other side of my neck. This is with the flash on and Vivid (So that all of the color looks brighter), so don't base your decision off this pic here, this is just to show you.

This is me in natural light from outside: http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/4...cie0314cj4.jpg

You can see the discoloration and splotchy-ness like this, and this is what my skintone looks like in natural light, I believe.

I plan to get something form CosWorx, so if you can, can you tell me which is better for me? And in what color? And if not from CosWorx, some other website? I just need to find something to take care of the problem and be clear looking in pictures. X_x; Thanks!
Bree The V. is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-22-2007, 04:56 PM   #2
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Concealer is usually more highly pigmented and/or thicker in order to hide blemishes better, while many foundations are designed to be semi-sheer so your skin shows through a bit.

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2007, 05:21 PM   #3
Bree The V.
Cosplayer Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasm-hime View Post
Concealer is usually more highly pigmented and/or thicker in order to hide blemishes better, while many foundations are designed to be semi-sheer so your skin shows through a bit.
Oh, okay... My friend wears concealer, but it's very noticeable on her... You can see where it starts and where it ends...Would foundation be better in my case?
Bree The V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
verdatum
Extremely registered user

The line is really sort of blurry in my opinion. I've seen things labeled foundation that are thicker than things labeled concealer. As you correctly point out, thicker makeup is generally more noticible, but it's better at coving discolorations. Using more advanced makeup techniques you can layer colors to bring a more lifelike appearance back to concealer coated skin, but this is where the artistry of cosmetics really comes out, and something I'm certainly still working on.

So my general suggestion is to experiment and use whatever you think looks best.
Unread 11-22-2007, 10:36 PM   #5
Akishira

Concealer is as stated above a highly pigmented form of makeup that is used to cover up small areas of concern. There are flesh tone concealers and there are colored concealers (ex, green purple and orange). Concealer is used for things like color correction for blemishes or dark circles. Concealer is used in hand with foundation. It is not supposed to be used alone which might be what your friend does where you can see the edges. When you apply concealer, apply it to the area you need then with your finger, blend the edges outwards to blend it into your skin.

There are multiple forms of foundation. There is powder, cream to powder, liquid and cake. Cake foundation is basically concealer for the whole face however this is not what you need. You only have some areas of concern and they seem to be small. Cake foundation is not really used in everyday life. I recommend treating the areas with a concealer or color corrective primer and some foundation. =)

Seeing as how you don't appear to have oily skin (maybe you do, you'd have to tell me) I would go with a concealer on the areas of concern that you have and a light semi-matte liquid foundation. If you have a Sephora in a mall around you, I'd recommend Smashbox's color correcting primer with a light liquid foundation like Cargo or Fresh.

A primer goes on over the whole face and helps your makeup last throughout the day. Smashbox makes a primer that has a color corrective properties (like the greens purples and oranges I mentioned).

I would personally go to Sephora and tell them the products I have recommended and have them help you base match you to a foundation. =)

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions feel free to contact me.

Katsucon 13' - Photo Finish (My Little Pony)
PAX East 13' - Arcade Sona (League of Legends)
Otakon 13' - I-No (Guilty Gear) - Helena (Dead or Alive)
Akishira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2007, 11:52 AM   #6
agent_airline

Agreed with what everyone said, just want to add this is everyday stuff you don't need to buy from Cosworx.
Drugstores like CVS, stores like Target, anywhere that sells makeup in the mall, Sephora, Ulta.. those are all places you can buy concealer and foundation for varying prices. Colors you will have to test yourself to see what blends in and looks natural. I like TrueMatch from L'oreal because they have different ranges of colors in cool, warm, and neutral, so you are more likely to find a better match. Just a tip.. if you need the concealer to cover better, put it on after foundation (that way it won't get smudges around when you put on foundation) then add powder to finish off.