Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 4.96 average.
Unread 11-22-2007, 09:19 PM   #1
d1g1tini

Getting in Shape for Cosplay - Want Support?

Hi everyone!

It's that time of year where I plan my upcoming Katsucon photos, and i realise that they are all short skirts. >_< So I plan to be kicking my 'workout routine' (see also: 'Drinking wine and eating goat cheese and finding reasons to avoid the gym') into high gear!

I know that I do much better with everything with a buddy, and I have some friends and my man-love who are trying to get in shape with me, but I thought it would be really fun to get support and GIVE support with everyone else who's working on it.

I invite everyone from the skinny folks trying to bulk up for their 300 Spartan team, to those of us who eat like Sailor Moon or Lina Inverse -- and need to stay looking just like them. ^_~

A few rules ~
- No Heckling! This means that we don't know anyone's situation. So no going to anyone's gallery and saying 'You don't need to lose any more weight!' or 'You need to lose more than THAT to look like Major Kusanagi!'
- Stay Healthy! I would like to discourage posting things like our weight in pounds or kilos, as I don't want us to become competitive. This isn't about starving ourselves or working out until we drop. Maybe we could keep our goals to reachable, healthy things, like 'I want to be comfortable showing my tummy by February' or even 'I want to run an 8 minute mile.'
- Feel free to complain. ^_^ While I don't think anyone should say "WAAAH I'M SO FAT," I think it should be free game to be like 'oh my god, i just made a Buster Sword out of mashed potatoes and ate it.' or 'I HATE RUNNING MY LEGS HURT' or 'i want pocky so badly i could scream*'
* - fun fact - pocky is actually not the worst diet-killer you can have!
- BE SUPPORTIVE! You all know what this means.

Reply here if you're interested, or PM me I suppose, if you would like to keep things private for any reason. We could do this here, on this thread, or we could make an LJ community, or whatever else you have in mind.

My AIM is zer0 one gunner, if anyone's thinking of reaching me there - I'm online right now.

love and peace!
- tini

Wiccan, Young Avengers
Scarlet Witch, George Perez art, Marvel Comics
Marceline the Vampire Queen, Adventure Time!
Korra, Avatar: The Legend of Korra
Starbuck, Pilot BDUs, Battlestar Galactica

-
knowin' i'm their father like my name was darth vader.
d1g1tini is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-22-2007, 09:26 PM   #2
d1g1tini

I suppose I'll start by posting here, if anyone else would like to -

I'm 5'10", i'm not really concerned with weight loss, as much as I am toning up. I'd like to be comfortable showing my legs and backside in short skirts by February for my two cosplays - Revolutionary Girl Utena, and another one that's a surprise for a friend who can't know just yet. ^_^ I hope to lose a few inches, really, I don't care what my weight is if I like how I look. I don't plan to be stick-thin, I prefer Faye Valentines to Yukaris, if you know what I mean. ^_^ My plan, for the most part -

- Cut back HARD on sugar
- Increase fruit and veggie intake
- Increase protein intake from lean sources
- No full-fat dairy
- Run! Run run run. I'm working up to 30mins. of cardio, 5 days a week. I want to be able to get down to my high-school mile time of 9 minutes.

My biggest obstacle is STICKING TO IT! I have terrible willpower, so I'll need a forum full of friends to motivate me, and I promise I'll motivate you back! If this works out, I'd love us to have informal con meetups so we can show off the fruits of our labors!

Things that I fall victim to -
- WHITE CHEESES. Goat cheese, Brie, cream cheeses. mmm.
- Alcohol.
- Sitting on my butt looking at cosplay instead of going to the gym.
- My knees hurting. (I can work upper body when they are acting up!)
- Suuuuuugar.
- Milky coffees.

BACK, VILE SINS!

Good luck everyone!

Wiccan, Young Avengers

-
Unread 11-22-2007, 09:30 PM   #3
Enk
Keeper of the Ninja Elf

This thread already has well over a hundred pages and deals with getting in shape, losing weight and general diet support.
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=64901
Unread 11-22-2007, 09:33 PM   #4
d1g1tini

Ah, thank you, I'll take a look.

I'm still, however, looking for cosplayers that are interesting in forming a current support group, for lack of a better phrase.

So as such, I would still like to encourage people who are actively trying to get in shape by a specific con, to reply.

Thank you again.

Wiccan, Young Avengers

-

Last edited by d1g1tini : 11-22-2007 at 09:36 PM.
Unread 11-22-2007, 09:39 PM   #5
Enk
Keeper of the Ninja Elf

most cosplayers who are into the getting into shape, check the Losing Weight thread on a very regular schedule (hence it being over a hundred pages long). We don't really need a third thread about it (second thread being Chubby People Unite), when you can find everything there. If you are interested in specific cons, post in the specific con board. If you want to form a support group, try livejournal, greatestjournal or sparkpeople.com
Unread 11-22-2007, 09:51 PM   #6
bunnymachine
Geek to the Extreme Power

I donno, I kind of feel like if the thread is unnecessary, it'll die a natural death :3

ANYway, here's my contribution to the thread Coz I like the newness and all.

My weaknesses:

*laziness
*lack of willpower
*"oh my god I hate running sooooo much"
*chocolate!! it's a serious addiction o.o
*ADD. Possibly the lamest excuse ever, but if I have nothing to do but run on a treadmill or ride an exercise bike, I will lose interest after about ten minutes.
*Physical comfort. If it's too hot/cold/windy/humid/etc., I will not exercise outside :3

What I Want To Achieve:

my middle school 8-minute mile!
lose the saddlebags and belly pooch :3
lose the terrible Fat Face in Photos Phenomenon XD
cut back on chocolate and eventually beat this stupid addiction ^_^

I came up with an ingenious idea, too!! I hooked up my ps2 to the TV in front of my exercise bike and treadmill, so I get to play video games while working out (kill two birds with one stone!) I also leave my Hellsing manga and DS down there, so I have ample distraction

So, yay! Go nerdy support group, go!
Otakon 2008!
Super Sailor Venus |Sailor Moon| -- Gwendolyn |Odin Sphere| -- Tsunade |Naruto|
bunnymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2007, 10:43 PM   #7
Whiney_Farmboy
Toshi Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enk View Post
If you want to form a support group, try livejournal, greatestjournal or sparkpeople.com
I dunno'. Some people may not want to make accounts for those just to talk about something that can pertain to THIS forum. Similar, but different subjects--We're trying to help one another, and I think it's a little rude to presume that we consider ourselves "chubby" because we want to lose weight. Just my $0.02

It's been said that losing weight for guys and losing weight for girls are two completely different things on emotional scales, however I'm here to offer a sort of male element to the mix.

I myself know that I have gained a few inches around the midsection--I blame this upon not getting enough exercise, and taking the Fast Food option on my Lunch Break.

My goals are:
-Trim down.
-Tone Up.

My biggest questions are:
Q) What exercises help us lose that belly fat best?
Q) What's an easy diet to help one break the stranglehold of junkfood?

--Blake
Whiney_Farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2007, 10:50 PM   #8
ayareinami*YAY*
M'yes, carry on

I actually like this idea! It's not about losing weight as much as its about getting in shape, which is a nice change because i'm a noodle person (in other words, really, really thin), and I need to get some muscle!

So! Pretty much I need to work out and overload on protien, rather than get stuck in front of the computer for hours on end XD I already eat alot, but probably not the right things, so I need to work on that too!
Unread 11-23-2007, 03:55 AM   #9
Shawnzy
Is Jealous of a Pillow

Hey there everyone, Thought I'd drop by and offer any help I can give. I used to be a rather heavy and pudgy young lad, but it led to me developing a health condition that got me thinking in the right perspective so over the years I have gone from being an overweight nerdy kid to a big muscley guy. I know a lot about losing weight, as I had to lose a lot of body fat myself. And I know a lot about gaining muscle for those of you wanting to bulk. I used to be 250 lbs with a body fat percentage of about 20. Now I weigh 220lbs with a body fat percentage of around 5%. Not bragging or anything, just letting you guys know that I used to be heavy so I know how it is.

The biggest problem for most people is actually getting up and working out. For most people its the hardest part, when it really shouldnt be. I used to always tell myself. But If you look at it this way, it can help motivate you more. An hour a day. 1 hour. Sacrifice one hour a day, and for that sacrifice you will feel better for the rest of the day. 1 hour at the gym, or on the treadmill at home. 1 hour isnt that much time to feel good, and good about yourself, for the rest of the day. You just gotta get up and do it, we all know its hard, but it pays off.

Also, anyone trying to diet and lose weight (or bulking) should invest into getting Fish Oil capsules. Taking those with every meal is very good. Its one of the thing every person about fitness and nutrition should tell you. Fish Oil capsules do wonders.

I will check around this thread often so if anyone has any questions or wants any kind of help or advice, please dont be afraid to ask,
Unread 11-23-2007, 07:18 AM   #10
Andrea
Stupid Sexy Kotetsu

Yeah, I'm all in favor of a general "getting in shape" thread, because I'm also on the too-thin side and thus don't feel remotely welcome in the "losing weight" type threads. I mean, my great accomplishment in the last few years was randomly discovering that in the couple of years that I'd been steadily employed again, and doing heavy lifting at work and stuff... despite the fact that my pants still fit just fine, I'd gone from 84 pounds to 94 pounds. Mostly muscle, I'm guessing, since I was literally moving a TON of stuff on some days.

I've since moved on to a department with the same company that is less physically intensive than the hardware/furniture departments, though, and I know I've lost some of that muscle. I don't have a scale, so I don't weigh myself - and I'm pretty happy with my body now for the first time since I was in 4th grade and first got sick. (I still have stomach problems which prevent me from eating much, but I'm better at managing them, so I can at least maintain weight.) It's really just the fact that these days, I don't grin evilly at my bulging shoulder muscles when I happen to glance at them in the mirror while I'm wearing a tank top and brushing my teeth.

I loved those shoulder muscles. They made me look a lot more masculine, and since I mostly crossplay, that's a good thing. Another of my favorite character types is the "short little girl who kicks a whole lot of butt", and that too looks better when you have some muscles to show off. And well, my legs have always been skinny, but this last summer I bought a bike... but now it's starting to snow and I can't ride it the two miles to work and back anymore. Need to find other ways to bulk up the legs, particularly the calves.

So I bought some hand weights to work on the shoulders... possibly should invest in some ankle weights for the calves, and I've been thinking about making a habit of walking around the local reservoir (about a mile all the way around) a couple times a week... but darnit, it IS getting cold out in Michigan. :P The girlfriend recently bought a little pedal machine - it's like a stationary bike without a seat, you just set the pedals up wherever you're going to sit - and I've been thinking that might be a good idea too...
Unread 11-23-2007, 10:34 AM   #11
strawbryshuichi
::headdesk::

I'm gonna give some helpful (in my opinion) advise.

The Fruits and veggies thing.

Eat much more Veggies than fruits. Fruits have complex sugars and carbs, so eating them is ok, but in small amounts. I'd suggest eating fruits up until like 2 or 3 pm.

Also.

DRINK WATER!!!!
I don't care if it's flavoured, or plain. Just. Not. Carbonated.

BUBBLES ARE YOUR ENEMY!!
As are sugars.
Unread 11-23-2007, 12:20 PM   #12
bunnymachine
Geek to the Extreme Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnzy View Post
Also, anyone trying to diet and lose weight (or bulking) should invest into getting Fish Oil capsules. Taking those with every meal is very good. Its one of the thing every person about fitness and nutrition should tell you. Fish Oil capsules do wonders.
Hey -

I've actually heard tell from a lot of people that fish oil is really good for you, but I've never exactly heard why...something to do with Omega-3's I guess, but do you know anything specific about them?
Otakon 2008!
Super Sailor Venus |Sailor Moon| -- Gwendolyn |Odin Sphere| -- Tsunade |Naruto|
bunnymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2007, 01:08 PM   #13
d1g1tini

Yeah, I fully support the musculature! I've always been really inspired by this picture -
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/200...ess/hswank.jpg
Which was Hilary Swank after she did Million Dollar Baby, and was amazingly gorgeously buff. (and knew it! haha, hence why she wore that dress.)

There are a great many doughy, pale cosplayers with not a lot of definition, I certainly wouldn't mind if I didn't lose a pound, if I could replace it all with lean, sexy muscle!

I second bunnymachine's inquiry about the Fish Oil, as well.

I'm really happy that there are skinny people interested in bulking up here, as well. I know I didn't feel very welcome in the 'chubby people' or 'losing weight' threads, as that isn't really my concern. Health is my biggest concern!

(well. Health, and looking good in vinyl minishorts. )

Wiccan, Young Avengers

-
Unread 11-23-2007, 03:05 PM   #14
d1g1tini

Woo!!!

Just got back from a 40 minute workout, and took mister Whiney_Farmboy with me (who did not whine, not even once. so that's a misnomer. ^_^)

Here's our plan -
- Jogged around the neighborhood once, the long way, to end up at the gym
- 20 minutes of cardio (He splits his up into 10 and 10, as it's what the 300 Guys did a lot of)
- Experimented (I'm still experimenting with lifting weights) with the leg press, some lat pull-downs, triceps curls, and a fleeting, painful tryst with the bench press. Maaaybe that one will have to wait. I can do some more 'arm circles with heavy soup cans,' those still make my arms sore. ^_^
- Jogged back home.

And today, except for two pieces of white bread as the bookends to my otherwise Very Healthy Turkey Sammich, i've been good! Lots of veggies and fruit. (More veggies, though! Thanks StrawberryShuichi!)

I feel great! Not even tuckered out, I feel energized, and ready to go to have a whole weekend of working out - LARPing in the woods with some friends! I'll be back Monday, and I hope to see what you guys have been up to!

and remember --
You don't HAVE to say no to the Thanksgiving leftovers, so long as you're moving your body and eating sensibly. My goal this year is to freeze some and make them LAAST so i can have good home cooking on call for like, a month! Mmmmmm.

<3

tini!

Wiccan, Young Avengers

-
Unread 11-23-2007, 03:25 PM   #15
Ichibi
Gimmical Impact

Ok im joining in with this here thread.
My main problem is that im slightly dependent on caffeine therefore need around 6-7 coffees per day which im trying to cut out since, not only am i rarely sleeping, its also not too good for the weight loss.
Im not overweight or anything but im also not super skinny/fit and, since im planning Misa Amane for Amecon, im hoping to be able to feel comfortbale with the miniskirts >.>

So yeah, my plan is
~ Kick the coffee habit and take water instead
~ go from 50 situps a day to 100
~ Walk the 6 floors of stairs rather than take the lift
~ Snack on fruit/ryvita crackers rather than crisps XD

Next Events
Otascotia Club Night - August 8th
London Expo - October
London Expo - May
Auchinawa - November 2010
Ichibi is offline   Reply With Quote