Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.92 average.
Unread 11-23-2007, 03:35 PM   #16
Kuro Yue
Abandoned

Kyaaa, this seems like a good idea. :3 The Losing Weight and Cosplay thread has gotten really cluttered as of late (not to say that this one won't become as such, it's just gotten to a very annoying point in the former).

So, I'll start off mine.

I'm 5'2" and a good 30 kg overweight (as far as I'm concerned, anyway). I do have some muscle, resulting in my looking ten kg lighter (and winning every time I do a Guess Your Weight game X3).

I've been gaining a bit of fat-weight ever since I started my job, as I eat inappropriate foods and come home and sit on my arse and do nothing. This has resulted in ten pounds of weight gain, which is a place I do NOT want to be.

So, my goals are to lose weight and build muscle at the same time. I have a plan figured out already, I just need to get the willpower to do it.

My plan:
-Take prepared food to work, rather than eating chips and candy and other junk
-Condition 3 times a day (2 on workdays)
--Pushups, crunches, leg lifts, squats, etc.
-Stepmania once a day (since my DDR is broken)
-Reduced after-supper snackage

My downfalls
-Cookies
-Emotional eating (waaah) (this is why I'm paying attention to cutting down on eating rather than changing my diet right now - I figure that if I can lose inches first, I'll feel better about myself and I'll be able to avoid sugary stuff)
-General laziness
-Obsessing over the scale (so I'm going to be measuring my key areas, rather than weighing myself)
Kuro Yue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-23-2007, 03:42 PM   #17
bunnymachine
Geek to the Extreme Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukino Kuneka View Post
-Obsessing over the scale (so I'm going to be measuring my key areas, rather than weighing myself)
YES! I do that too. But I have to remember that since I'm mostly flab at the moment, I will probably NOT lose weight when I become more muscular. Plus, I hate scales XD I never used to care what I weighed, then I lived with two extremely weight-conscious girls during college, and now I have to get on the scale every morning XD

BUT, anyway, I agree with you that measuring in inches is better than waiting for pounds to melt off :3
Otakon 2008!
Super Sailor Venus |Sailor Moon| -- Gwendolyn |Odin Sphere| -- Tsunade |Naruto|
bunnymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2007, 06:18 PM   #18
Zion
DNAngel Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnymachine View Post
BUT, anyway, I agree with you that measuring in inches is better than waiting for pounds to melt off :3
I have to agree with this as well, though, admittedly it's hard to not be disappointed when you don't lose weight. For me at least. I like the idea of this thread!

My Plan:
- Use our walking machine while watching my anime, or movies.
- Do ab crunches with some of the times I'm sitting around bored.
- Try and eat healthier, though I can't really think of many vegetables I like. So that makes it harder.
- Drink less soda (Which I normally only drink because of ease to get, I think this will be the most easy by far)
- Bake a bit less. Yep, if you bake some dessert, you have to have some. It's just the rule

My weaknesses:
- FAST FOOD. Yeah, it's just so easy to drive up the road for lunch rather than get up early to pack a lunch.
- Little to no planning ahead. I just generally hope I can motivate myself day to day.
- Strong Dislike for the taste of healthy food.

Anyhow, hopefully if i can get over those, and hit my goals, I'll be able to tone up and lose that darn belly fat.

Wish me luck. hehe.

Zion
Zion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2007, 08:14 PM   #19
MissMac

I'm 5'2" and while I could stand to lose a few pounds, I'm happy with my weight.

My goal, however, is to tone up just about everything; I went from working out with the college football team (the only girl! ) and actually being able to beat some of them in the exercises that the football coach set us, to a 3rd shift desk job which means my exercise routine has gone out the window.

My plan:
*Start doing some crunches and push-ups during downtimes at work. Not the safest to leave the building, so walking around the parking lot is right out, but that leads to point 2.
*Go for a run once a week, more will be schedule-dependent. I have two-month-old running shoes, fit by a professional, that were worn in the store, and then tossed in the closet at home.
*Eat a real breakfast every. single. day. Even if I'm running late, toast is quick and easy to make.
*make one other meal, either dinner or lunch.

My weaknesses:
*soda. I have to drink it to wake up/stay focused. I'm not giving that up!
*candy/sugar
*going out to eat. It is so much easier.
*boxed meals. Microwave 'em...then ingest most of the salt needed for the day. >.<
*laziness. (But I'm gone 60-100+ hours each week. I'm allowed a bit, no?)

Maybe I can get my BF to go walking with me!
MissMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2007, 08:20 PM   #20
Zion
DNAngel Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMac View Post
Maybe I can get my BF to go walking with me!
Actually, trying to get someone to do some of the exercises with you (such as running/walking) could be a big motivation. I think that I may try to con some friends into jogging with me if I can.
Zion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2007, 08:39 PM   #21
bunnymachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zion View Post
Actually, trying to get someone to do some of the exercises with you (such as running/walking) could be a big motivation. I think that I may try to con some friends into jogging with me if I can.
It really is. I had a great exercise routine when I was living in Richmond during college, coz my two weight-obsessed roommates were constantly working out, so I had a fairly tight routine.

...Then I moved back up to Fairfax, and had no more routine, and gained like 15 pounds So now I must be my own motivator ^_^

Good luck with your exercising!
Otakon 2008!
Unread 11-23-2007, 08:44 PM   #22
strawbryshuichi
::headdesk::

Also, for those of you guys wanting to lose water weight first...Eat little to no salt. Sodium traps water in the body, and you'd be surprised how much of that is that chubbiliness that we're all complaining about.

I cut off salt (more like having a weee bitty bit of it), ketchup (LOTS of sodium), basically any other condiments. To get my craving for sodium, I'd eat fresh tomatos (no salt, with maybe a LITTLE bit of Fat-free/Sodium-free ranch), or things with garlic...Zuccini(fried with no oils or butter [Sodium Free PAM is your ruler]) with mashed garlic onto it actually very tasty!

One thing to remember about dieting.

If you absolutely cannot live without something (coffee, chocolate ect.) DO NOT FORBID YOURSELF FROM HAVING IT. A little is not going to hurt you.

Rice, while it makes the Japanese way skinneh, clogs up the system, making if hard to digest and make you...well...constipated. Having a bit of sushi is good, but eating a whole huge bowl of rice is going to do absolutely nothing.

If you do wish to weigh yourself, weigh yourself at the same time of the day. I'd do it twice a day, one in the morning when you wake up, and one before doing to bed. Just as your height changes throughout the day, so does your weight.

Fried foods are ok, so long as fried with no oil or butter. Vegetable oil is best if you must have oil, and only a little bit of it.

and once again

WATER WATER WATER WATER.

I'd suggest drinking atleast 4 bottles a day (more if you can)
Water is what you're made of, it will flush out your system.

Also, grated apples. They have acids in them that will clear your system out. THEY HAVE TO BE GRATED.

I'm gonna be posting up little dit-bits as I remember them ^^;
Unread 11-24-2007, 03:03 AM   #23
iluvmycat9

ooh ooh i must join in!! this is exactly what i need! support and ACCOUNTABILTY!! ive tried to tone up over and over and over and i always fail because i forget to work out or i forget to not eat a bag of chips etc...

so im 5'1" -there in lies the problem- if i could just grow like 4 inches and stretch out all the fat i would be perfectly proportioned! any way i hear that at 5 foot you should be a hundred pounds, then 5 pounds adds on for every inch above 5 foot. in that case im only 11-12 pounds overweight. but its not the weight im looking to lose (seeing as i dont even own a scale) but the pooches and the jiggles and the hangin overs. and also the ROUND FACE. i look really heavy in my pics but im really not!

plans::
-no more snacking. unless its between lunch and dinner and HEALTHY!!
-no more cokes. none. zero. H2O ONLY!!
-eat smaller portions. they say the size of your plam is the appropriate size.
-even more fruits and veggies than i already eat
-run around block at least 3 times a week
-4 weeknights is the pilates video/random crunches, leg lifts, etc.

weaknesses::
-mountain dew. *addicted*
-chips. i seriously eat them with EVERY meal! gah must stop...
-lazyness. seriously i just dont have any umph.
-i hate no detest no abhor no loathe any kind of physical labor. running is just evil, and i hate the burn oh how i hate it.

things to continue::
-i usually eat an apple a day or every other day. helps make me not hungary and keeps me healthy.
-i work at subway and since im short, the counter is too tall so with every customer i go up and down on my tiptoes giving my calves a wonderful workout all day long.
-also at work i have a free super healthy meal every day! i just have to stop eating cookies...and watch the very high sodium intake.

so all in all i want to be healthy and look better!!

~like jessica beil in blade trinity:
http://film.onet.pl/_i/plotki/duze/b/blade3.jpg
*my future* XD
Unread 11-24-2007, 03:27 AM   #24
Juego
Do you want a 2nd opinion

Quote:
...Then I moved back up to Fairfax, and had no more routine, and gained like 15 pounds So now I must be my own motivator
Yup, you can get all nitty-gritty about exercise routines and diet, but a lot of fitness just boils down to momentum and consistency.

Eating right can be a huge problem when you're single - most foods aren't packaged for single servings. So, a good idea is to split apart purchases into single servings the moment you get home from grocery shopping. Also, don't be afraid to immediately freeze half or more of whatever you cook for dinner.

Me, though... I'm blessed/cursed by genetics. My metabolism is still that of a teenager; add a natural distaste for sweets and you have a skinny person. I'm mainly working on trying to fit in more running/outdoors stuff in my life without using my weird work schedule as a cop-out.

I'm 5'11" and 125 lbs right now and would love to put on an extra 10+ of muscle. I'd like to at least graduate from "skinny" to "wiry"
Unread 11-24-2007, 05:52 AM   #25
Orihime-chan
Living how it is

I am joining too! I am 5'3 ((according to the doctor)) and I'm not technically /skinny/ nor /chubby/ or /fat/. But I do really want to flatten a bit for the Death Note photoshoot in February.

My Problems:

~SODA
~Staying up very late ((like 4+ in the morning ><)) on non school nights.
~Sel concious
~Little sleep
~No one to motivate me ((which I think this thread will help ))
~Sugar
~Pasta
~Salt ><

What I'm trying to do:

~Make myself go to bed earlier.
~Cut down a lot on sodas ((like 1 or half a can a day ><))
~Drink more water
~Find someone to jog with me in the morning @.@
~Do my age x 3 + 7 crunches a day ((my gym teacher says it helps))
~Not be on the computer almost every breathing second.
~take a break from Ragnarok Online
~Cut down on salts and pasta

Hopefully I'll be able to obtain my goal! I will keep coming back to this thread because I like motivation threads

Quick tip: Crunches are basically half sit-ups with your hands behind your hand. It flattens and tones your stomach as well as add muscle.

I will try to add quick tips at the end of my posts on here Hopefully they'll help.

Edit: Oh yeah, I'm going to try to stop eating a Honey-senpai and L diet xD *getting into character can get to you*
Fai D. Flourite-100% done!
Ouran Uniform for Honey-senpai- 54% ((curse me when I sold my ouran uniform >< But Honey shall live again for pictures! xD))
Org. XIII Roxas- 34%

My 2 favorite qoutes (from teachers xD):
"If at first you don't succeed, you FAIL"
"Don't second guess. If you didn't get it right the first time, what makes you think you'll get it right the second time?
Orihime-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2007, 11:48 AM   #26
lawliet
m e r o - i x

I'd also like to join in~! I'm one of those people who was told I "didn't need to lose weight" in the Losing Weight thread when all I wanted was to get some info on toning up. I also think I look thinner in my photos because I've gotten used to taking them at angles that make me look slimmer (myspace angle anyone?) XD But that doesn't go for photos other people take!

Anyway, I'm 5'4 so I also suffer from the "being short" syndrome, like iluvmycat9 said: if only I could stretch out some! I'm not interested in "losing weight" just losing inches. Since last year I've lost 10lbs and have toned up my arms by lifting weights. Weight lifting is the only thing I keep up with. I used to do it every other day, but I've been slacking a bit. ._.

My issues:

♣ I have an hour glass figure--so I have big hips--and I prefer small hips. I'm chunky around my hips/stomach/thighs/butt and I have no idea how to tone that area up because I know "spot reducing" doesn't work. I'm fine with how my upper body looks, just not the lower half.

♣ I have asthma and some undiagnosed!heartpalpatations thing. In other words, because I have asthma, I always used it as an excuse to not be able to run. I enjoy running, but can't do it very long. And more recently (as in this summer) I've been having chest pains after doing too much kardio and sometimes even after doing a fast movement. Too much = 2 mins. Seriously. (I've had an EKG but haven't heard back on it yet. It may just be anxiety-related since I do have anxiety disorders). So I need to figure out what I can do to increase my endurance for exercise. I do jumping jacks/dancing/hyperactivity things (I'm ADHD xD), and I run with my dog when I take him out, but again, I can't do it for more than 2 mins at a time.

♣ I don't eat a lot and I think that's affected my metabolism. (If I wasn't always conscious of my weight I'd be overweight.) I think it has to do with my ADHD (I get multi-tasking and just forget to eat) and that nowadays everything is advertised as bad for you, so I'm to the point where I'm paranoid to eat anything. My daily food intake used to consist of cereal for breakfast, chocolate/sugar throughout the day, and something not-that-good for supper. But as of late I've been doing better on the eating thing. I recently got a full time job so I'm always out of the house, not snacking on sugar all day, eating lunch, and drinking a lot more. So before if I ate like a normal person it would equal me gaining weight, now that I'm eating more normal and NOT eating the junk, it should equal out and = healthier me! I also eat a banana almost every day which are very good for you! n_n

My Goals

♣ Lose 10 more pounds or the visual-equivalent in lost fat/gained muscle. And keep it off!

♣ To learn how to cook! Because I can't, it results in me eating a lot of junk like take-out or frozen crap. But it's hard because I hate spending too long on cooking. I don't have the patience for it. D:

♣ Get at least 30mins exercise a day. My new job = walks at lunch. And they also have a gym available for use. So I need to get up earlier so I can get to work earlier and get some exercise in before work!

♣ Eat more vegetables and less sugar~! I have an iced cappuccino (so addicted x_x) everyday and my snacks = chocolate chips. My chocolate intake has actually decreased quite a bit. I used to eat a whole Dairy Milk (those things are big) almost every day. Now I limit myself to dark chocolate only. I've given up soda (I used to drink a lo~t of pepsi, so it can be done!!) and only drink water, apple juice, and 1% milk (on cereal). And lately I've been trying to drink a lot more water. I need to keep it up! /o/

Phew, that was a whole lot of tl;dr~! I hope this works. I'll be able to report in on this thread on my good and bad days for support, so let's kick each others' butts into gear! :D

Last edited by lawliet : 11-24-2007 at 11:54 AM.
lawliet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2007, 12:08 PM   #27
bunnymachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawliet View Post
In other words, because I have asthma, I always used it as an excuse to not be able to run. I enjoy running, but can't do it very long. And more recently (as in this summer) I've been having chest pains after doing too much kardio and sometimes even after doing a fast movement. Too much = 2 mins.
Walking can be just as beneficial as running! You might not "feel the burn" (which, in my opinion, is a GOOD thing ), but it'll firm up your legs and help you lose tummy fat! Also, walking backwards is good for your butt and hamstrings and calves :3

Good luck with everything!
Otakon 2008!
Unread 11-24-2007, 01:02 PM   #28
lawliet
m e r o - i x

Oh, I never even thought of walking backwards before, thanks for the tip! My butt suffers from sitting in a chair all day long. xD But my main problem with walking is I have no where to walk to and I don't like walking alone. I need to pester my husband to come out with me, but he's an obsessive WoW player, which is never a good thing, haha.

edit: Oh, and about this:

Quote:
But I have to remember that since I'm mostly flab at the moment, I will probably NOT lose weight when I become more muscular.
I don't think you have to worry about that because when you gain muscle, you lose fat too. Sustaining muscle requires a lot of calories so to maintain and build muscle, your body will burn fat. Mind you, there's the whole "having muscle under fat" thing that'll probably make you look bigger at first/if you do too much muscle building, but it will eventually even out. I'm no pro at this stuff, though, but I think that's how it works~! x3

Last edited by lawliet : 11-24-2007 at 01:09 PM.
lawliet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2007, 02:57 PM   #29
Magnas
3d Enthusiast

I don't know about the prices in your areas, but I know the grocery store I work at has frozen vegetables and steam-in-the-bag veggies for a dollar. Decent amounts, too. Plus, you can get a small thing of meat for less than 5 dollars (had someone come through who only spent a 1.35 on a small, but decently sized package of beef). Get a little olive oil (it's good for the heart!) and you can make some stir-fry.

Also, don't forget people, if you're working out, do NOT neglect eating. If you're hungry, EAT. It's a common mistake thinking that you have to eat less. You just have to eat more often, but smaller portions. Complex carbs for energy, protein for muscle growth and repair. Lean protein like chicken or turkey.

Plus, try replacing regular pasta with whole-grain pasta. It tastes exactly the same, but it's much better for you. And if you're anything like me, you can't give up pasta all together. Just remember, eat less 'fake' foods and find alternatives to snacks (clementine oranges, carrots, etc. are GREAT for this). Get organic peanut butter and it'll be much better for you.

Also, find something that gets you moving. Even if it's just a movie or live concert, jog in place while you dance or sing. Hell, dancing is GREAT for the body. Look up parkour and free-running on youtube and see if that doesn't getcha amped. Works for me!
Cannibalism. Imagine that. Chowing down on another human being. You gotta be all out of beef jerky, man. You gotta be really f-----g hungry. But it happens, doesn't it? Still happens to this day. A bunch of people stranded in the wilderness run out of pop tarts, gotta eat something. Might as well be Steve. - George Carlin

Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock n roll. - Shigeru Miyamoto
Magnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2007, 03:03 PM   #30
Leradny
"The Cool Joint"

I'm in the 5'0" club and somewhere around 109 lbs. I look pretty all right in photos, but there's no particular tone to my arms and I wish to change that. Also, my waist could be a little more defined.

My plan

-Continue making my own lunch for school.
-Continue practicing the FFVIII waltz every day.
-Continue walking for half an hour a day.
-Start lifting some weights to get my arms toned.

My downfalls

-Laziness. I'm not as bad as some people I know, as I used to take ballet for about two years, but I do have some days where I just cannot get out of bed, let alone exercise. Also, I just got back into playing FFIV, which is hard if you haven't played for a year and don't remember the way out of certain dungeons .
-A superfast metabolism. Having one means I cannot gain weight easily at all, and therefore I cannot gain any muscle easily. I'm trying to eat more and healthier so I can at least keep my weight from dropping any lower, but that's very hard.
-Somewhat low self esteem. I am a stick, which means I have a small waist but also I have small hips. My chest doesn't particularly bother me as the characters I cosplay also tend to be on the small side, but my hips do. I want some curves! Also I want to grow a few inches. Just three and a half! Just in my legs and arms! Please, Master Creator, please?
Leradny is offline   Reply With Quote