Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.92 average.
Unread 11-24-2007, 03:18 PM   #31
bunnymachine
Geek to the Extreme Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawliet View Post
I don't think you have to worry about that because when you gain muscle, you lose fat too.
Oh, I mostly meant that as I (hopefully :3) transform my fat INTO muscle, I probably won't LOSE weight since muscle is heavier than fat. And that's fine with me, as long as I look less doughy XD
Otakon 2008!
Super Sailor Venus |Sailor Moon| -- Gwendolyn |Odin Sphere| -- Tsunade |Naruto|
bunnymachine is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-24-2007, 03:39 PM   #32
Xuki-kun

X'D

ack-
I have really really short/chubby legs. I HATE THAT.
The rest of my body is completely fine,

I was just wondering, but does roller blading help make your legs skinnier?
O_o;; I've been roller blading for 1 hour everyday for the last month, and I only gained muscles. >__<; now it looks really bulky and stuff-
@_@; my parents keep telling me that I'll eventually grow taller and my legs won't be a problem. This has been bugging me for a while now~

btw, I'm only 5'0"
T_T;; and I currently weigh about 90lbs >__>;
[but I LOOK chubbier than i should = =; ]

Last edited by Xuki-kun : 11-24-2007 at 03:41 PM.
Xuki-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2007, 04:11 PM   #33
bunnymachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuki-kun View Post
X'D
I was just wondering, but does roller blading help make your legs skinnier?
Xuki-kun: Well, rollerblading will firm up and increase the muscles in your legs, and if you feel like you already have a lot of leg muscle, rollerblading will probably only make your legs bigger. I do know that swimming is a good way to streamline your body and it will help tone up your legs without adding bulk

Hope that helps!
Otakon 2008!
Unread 11-24-2007, 08:30 PM   #34
Kuro Yue
Abandoned

Well, I did alright yesterday - twelve minutes of Stepmania before my calves needed a break, and then I attained something I've never had to do before - cry out slightly as I expended LOTS of effort to finish crunches. I've never been in that position before.

I LIKE IT. X3 Hee Hee.

I didn't pack my own food for lunch at work, because I was working on Allen's coat buttons and I was exhausted by the time I decided to quit, and I had to wake up at six in the morning DX.

Tomorrow! I will remember. I hope.
Kuro Yue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2007, 06:57 AM   #35
Jabi
Formerly Kasui_Enoki

I told myself that after Thankgiving, I was going to get myself to get in shape before January. Then after January, I was going to lose weight and tone up for May. While I'm not terribly over weight, I do have extra pudge around my stomach that I do not like.

My Goal:
+ Lose that pudge.

My Plan:
+ 100 sit ups a day
+ Doing a 30 minute walk everyday (if work doesn't call for too much)
+ Eating better. NO MORE FAST FOOD.

My Problems:
+ Stay up late. Right now it's almost 5 AM, and I'm not tired at all.
+ Too much sleep. I stay up late, but once I go to sleep, I sleep up to 12 hours if I don't have work til lat.
+ Soda. I love soda. I've been drinking diet soda lately, but sometimes I'll sneak in a cream soda or a coke.
+ Eating late. I get hungry around 3 AM sometimes, so I'll go into the kitchen and grab some leftovers
+ No activity. I rarely go out unless I need to, and even then I stay in my car.

It's all pretty simple stuff, but this is just my start. Once ALA is over, I'm going more extreme.

JabiCosplay @ Tumblr
JabiCosplay @ Facebook
Jabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2007, 07:08 AM   #36
Andrea
Stupid Sexy Kotetsu

I just discovered a way I'll be able to keep those shoulder/arm muscles bulked up this winter...

...Scraping the frost off my car windows after I get off a night of work. -_-
Unread 11-25-2007, 07:53 AM   #37
Shawnzy
Is Jealous of a Pillow

To answer the questions about Fish Oil. Here is a quote from an article from one of my favorite websits on Fish Oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
"Humans originally consumed a natural diet of 1 to 1 or 1 to 2 ratio of omega-6 fatty acids to omega-3 fatty acids. (Just to refresh your memory, omega-6s are those fatty acids found in just about every packaged food you can find, in addition to those cooking oils that permeate your cupboard, while omega-3s are those that we typically associate with salmon and other cold water fish.)

Unfortunately, because of extreme food processing, raising cattle on corn instead of grass, avoidance of fish in the diet, and plain ol' greed and ignorance, the modern ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 is more like 20 or 30 to 1.

At its most basic level, the problem lies with these primitive, rudimentary hormones called eicosanoids. These hormones are involved in pretty much everything our body does and if we ingest a lot of omega-6 fatty acids, we get eicosanoids made from omega-6s.

Trouble is, omega-6 eicosanoids are really pro-inflammatory. The body makes eicosanoids from omega-3 fatty acids, too, but these eicosanoids are very weakly inflammatory, if at all. As such, simply shifting the diet towards omega-3's can do remarkable things for your health and performance."
That pretty much sums it up without getting too technical on science terms. Basically, the hormones created from omega-3 fatty acids are very good for our body, but in our present time the food we eat has primarily omega-6 fatty acids. Which are not so good for the body, but are required. This is all under the proof that the body doesnt need just protein to be healthy, but fatty acids as well.

Since pretty much all of you here are women, you can do with buying standard fish oil capsules at a nutrition store or so. Take about 2 capsules per meal and you should be good. Keep them refirdgerated as they help reduce the fishy burps xP

*Edit* Also for the girls who want to bulk some. You will need to eat protein! This best comes in white meat such as chicken, turkey, and especially fish. Avoid eating white meat that is fried. Start ordering it grilled. Do not eat fried food XD

Last edited by Shawnzy : 11-25-2007 at 07:58 AM.
Shawnzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2007, 11:30 AM   #38
Xuki-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnymachine View Post
Xuki-kun: Well, rollerblading will firm up and increase the muscles in your legs, and if you feel like you already have a lot of leg muscle, rollerblading will probably only make your legs bigger. I do know that swimming is a good way to streamline your body and it will help tone up your legs without adding bulk

Hope that helps!
xD I see~ thank you! n___n
._.; Apparently though, it seems like it's too cold to swim, lol.
Maybe I'll find a nice/warm indoor pool or something >___>;
XD and I just noticed that my legs got bulkier after stopping swimming X_x;

Thanks for the advice! n.n
Xuki-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2007, 04:53 PM   #39
Druix
Kira Supporter

Yay, what a great thread! I've never really dieted or worked out regularly in my life, so I'm nt sure exactly what to do. I don't feel I am overweight, I'm actually average weight for a girl my size and age (5'5 1/2", 17 years old), but I seriously lack any kind of toning or definition. This hasn't really bothered me too much before now, but I'm going to be Sai from Naruto for Fanime 2008, and I'd like to work on making my tummy look....well, presentable, haha.

I was thinking I should do sit-ups because they work your stomach muscles, right? But other than that, I'm not sure what to do.

My eating habits aren't too bad. I don't think I need to change what I eat, just maybe change how much I eat. You know, more of the healthy, less of the bad stuff.

I was also wondering if--and I don't know if this is a weird question---as I work out and stuff, even though I'm focusing on my stomach, is there a chance I'll lost anything around the face? Okay, that sounded better in my head. Basically, I've noticed in a lot of pictures of me that my jawline tends to not stand out as much as I'd like, blending a little with my neck. Can I change that, or is that like a genetic thing?
http://www.youtube.com/users/okagesamadepro
http://okage-sama-de.deviantart.com
Druix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2007, 05:22 PM   #40
Kuro Yue
Abandoned

It might be a genetic thing, but fat/water does build up around the cheeks as well as the rest of the body. How much water do you drink during the day? Usually drinking lots of water helps to flush out the pudginess from around the face.

And as you burn calories, and build muscle, you will be losing fat from everywhere.
Kuro Yue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2007, 05:40 PM   #41
d1g1tini

Hey! Glad to see everyone got into this thread while i was away!

So OH MAN i went LARPing this weekend with friends? Boy howdy i'm feeling the burn from sprinting through the woods. But I feel great and can't wait to go running tomorrow!

Lawliet - GIRRRL I am so with you on the chunky hips thing. I've got a ghetto-booty! ItB's just gotta be a FIRM ghetto booty. Then it can stay. You can be my butt-buddy. Yeah. That sounds completely innocent.

i also learned something awesome! When you get a craving for cheese, The Laughing Cow makes these wedges of soft swiss? And each one is only about 50 calories and 3 grams of fat. And they are really really good, and they rule. Don't know if I should be encouraging cheese, buuuut. Is not bad! Ja?

I mentioned this at the top of the thread, but again, my AIM is zer0 one gunner, so if anyone wants to add someone to their buddy list if they need support in an instant - feel free to add me!

Do any of you have a goal costume, by the way? Something you'd wear if you were in your ideal shape?

I'd love to be Naga from Slayers at some point. Silly, I know, but i love that girl.

Wiccan, Young Avengers
Scarlet Witch, George Perez art, Marvel Comics
Marceline the Vampire Queen, Adventure Time!
Korra, Avatar: The Legend of Korra
Starbuck, Pilot BDUs, Battlestar Galactica

-
knowin' i'm their father like my name was darth vader.
d1g1tini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2007, 07:50 PM   #42
Ruin-sama
Coconut Kokopelli

Hooray for this thread! It never hurts to have support buddies when working out, in fact, it's my only saving grace! XD

I'm 5'4''...I can't reach the top cabinet shelf in my kitchen without climbing. X_x;
I have to agree with everyone else in wishing I were taller!

In the past few months I've lost 20+ lbs and I'm trying to get more toned.

The Good:
-I speed walk every day for 30 minutes in the morning while listening to music
-I run each night for 6 minutes/ walk for 20 with my boyfriend. (yeah...I'm a bad runner! lol)
-I have a chart which I have decorated with my current target cosplay, which marks out how much water I drink, and how much exercise I get.
-I make 1 cup of Green Tea each day

The Bad:
-I am a popcorn junkie. I don't mean light popcorn without salt or butter, I mean hardcore movie theater POP-friggin-CORN!! XD ...which I eat without remorse. (fortunately I don't go to the movies too often. )
- I tend to get nasty cravings, which worsen when I avoid eating that specific item.
-I can't do anything without music, or my ADD kicks in and I space out and give up.

The Ugly:
-I play WoW.
-I spend too much time drooling over cosplay photos when I should be working out. :P

My friend is working with a personal trainer, so I'm always bugging her for information that she's getting. Apparently she said that if you have trouble spots with muscle mass being too large, that you should spend one night of working out on that one group until you just can't do anymore, then just rest the muscles for a week. She told me that it breaks down the muscle, and when it heals, it'll be leaner. I have yet to try it, as I've been sick the past week and a half since then...once I get better, I'm so going to the gym! ^^

If anyone needs a "workout-buddy" to keep track and share their daily achievements, I'd be more than happy to help. My motivation lately has been a bit slack, anyway! >w<

Otakon 2008 [ Vincent Valentine: Dirge of Cerberus- 35%]

Future planned project- Crisis Core: Genesis Assasin

Last edited by Ruin-sama : 11-25-2007 at 08:00 PM. Reason: I r is be spelling good. :P
Ruin-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2007, 08:51 PM   #43
bunnymachine

Woo!

Hokay! I'm feeling 'stremely accomplished this weekend On both Saturday and Sunday, I biked for 30 minutes (stationary bike, mind you, so I got to play some Odin Sphere and KH2 and watch some Eva *nerd* The LCD told me that I biked 8 miles, but I donno how accurate that is :3) and walked one mile on the treadmill (to cool down). On Saturday I did some weights too, but alas, today I was too sore XD

Yay! Plus, this is an improvement from last weekend when the bike LCD told me I only biked 6.2 miles in 30 minutes!

Is it lame that this thread is actually one of my big motivators XD?
Otakon 2008!
Unread 11-25-2007, 09:09 PM   #44
SummonerYuna
Perfectly Imperfect

I really like the idea of this thread. I do feel like it's goals are more like mine than the other two threads are. I'm not really concerned about loosing weight as I am inches and gaining toning and stuff. So this is a good thread for mich! ^^ I hope it does survive!

So, I guess my goal is to be comfortable in a VERY short skirt by either may or august (depending on which convention that I'll be attending...). I plan on cosplaying KOS-MOS V.4. Oh. Dear. God. Like a lot of people have said before, I'm not really concerined about the numbers when it comes to loosing weight. Just the inches and toning. Because everyone loves a six pack. I wouldn't mind making my arms look better, too. (Though, I have no idea how to do that one...)

My weaknesses are:

-Sugar
-Greasy Foods (Pizza is my favorite food. In the world.)
-Bad Will Power
-I'm WAY too hard on myself

Over all, though, cosplay aside, I think the most important thing for me is to be healthy. I don't want to have a heart attack or have horrible diabetis (sp) when I'm older, because I ate too many pizzas and nachos, and didn't get my lazy butt up and excersize.

Oh. Almost forgot. I'm 5'7 and very curvy. :3

Good luck, guys! : D

Last edited by SummonerYuna : 11-25-2007 at 09:13 PM.
SummonerYuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2007, 10:53 PM   #45
TseUq

Great thread idea Everyone is in need of support! <3
Since Last April I have lost about 30 lbs; however I am so not toned o.0 Which is what I really care about *have always said I dont care how much I weigh as long as I am healthy, toned and feel good about myself*
I was in competitive swimming and soccer for 10 years when I was younger so I have muscular calves and big thighs T_T and my mid section is in need of a serious tone-up.

I was super hardcore at the beginning of this year *became mildy comfortable where I was .... *BAD IDEA* T_T slacked off and am back into a bad routine.

Good (when I actually do it) *sweatdrop*::

-15 - 20 min of stretching/mini workout every morning/night as soon as I wake up or just before I go to bed
-hour walk in the morning
-45 min stationary bike at night
-small portions throughout the day
-lots of green tea

Bad::

-Lazyness!!! <- EVIL
-work (I work way too much, so the last thing I want to do when I get off or just before I leave is to workout )
-lack of sleep (I go to bed every day at 3-4am and wake up at 9am to go to work)
-not a lot of fruit/veg in my diet >.<

I gave myself a motivation cosplay so that I have a deadline. My friend made the outfit for me already, so I will feel super bad if I dont wear it <- my stratedgy at making myself work harder
Its Grimmjow from Bleach XD

What I feel I need in order to push myself is a weekly chart/picture, showing my progress. And someone I would have to show every week so that I feel obligated to stick to it. Is anyone interested in doing that? *if I did it by myself I know I would totally cheat*