Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 4.96 average.
Unread 11-26-2007, 02:35 AM   #46
iluvmycat9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnymachine View Post
I probably won't LOSE weight since muscle is heavier than fat.
i dont mean to be disagreeable, but im a nerd and must correct...*so sorry*

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...t-v-muscle.jpg

as you can see, the 5 lbs of fat is much bulkier than the 5 lbs of muscle, but five pounds is still five pounds. muscle does not weigh more than fat, it is more dense than fat. so youre right, if you gain 5 lbs of muscle and burn off the fat, you wont tell a difference on a scale, but you sure as heck will in the mirror!! (which is way better to me, i want physical evidence for everyone to see, not just me in the bathroom going yay i lost 1.3 lbs!!)

again im so sorry, but i just had to explain...but now on to my OWN short comings!!

i havent eaten right *shame* or worked out **double shame** but i have a reasonable excuse!! ive been sick -poor me- but im getting better so i will soon be able to to start on my journey to healthyness!

and i LOVE the idea of deciding on a costume to work towards looking good in. not only does the costume itself take time/energy/money but our bodies should as well! i mean, we are as much a part of the costume as a shirt, scarf, wig, sword, boots, etc...so i have decided my costume will be misa amane from deathnote! i have already been planning on that one but i want to be able to wear a short skirt and thigh highs with out my thighs being jiggly or my little gut getting in the way...

so look out misa, here i come!!

*edit* oh i almost forgot faye valentine! i want to cosplay as her sooo bad but there is NO WAY i have the body for that...not yet anyways!!

so misa amane and faye valentine here i come!!

Last edited by iluvmycat9 : 11-26-2007 at 03:23 AM.

Unread 11-26-2007, 03:30 AM   #47
Crankor
...was very cold...

My .02 I find it helpful to "get ready" for something. In my case its races. Running works almost every muscle in your body. Look for a local race (10k 5k 1mile) whatever you are comfortable with and prepare for it. After that prepare for another and shoot for a faster time. www.runnersworld.com has a lot of them if you look up your area. You don't have to be the top finisher, it feels great to improve and have hard evidence that you did Also I guarantee that you beat somebody! Even if it was the lazy dude who couldn't get off the couch.
Crankor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2007, 06:01 PM   #48
lawliet
m e r o - i x

Ok, so I haven't been doing very well since my last message. ._. I did absolutely NOTHING this weekend, just sat on my ass all day playing video games. DX I always feel so motivated PLANNING on doing things, I just never seem to get to them.

I did, however, actually get my butt out to go for a walk, but it ended up being so cold out that we just couldn't do it and quickly made our way back inside after only 8 mins-ish. SO COLD. So I think nature is against my wanting to get in shape. :C But on my way back, the wind was blowing in my face so I tried out the "walking backwards" that bunnymachine suggested and I felt the burn instantly! :D My only concern is tripping and knocking myself out. xD

d1g1tini: your butt-buddy I shall be!

*sips on iced cappuccino* OH SHI--
Unread 11-26-2007, 06:16 PM   #49
d1g1tini

lawliet : Huzzah! EXCELSIOOOOR! *eats a dorito? oh SHIIII-*

Wiccan, Young Avengers
Scarlet Witch, George Perez art, Marvel Comics
Marceline the Vampire Queen, Adventure Time!
Korra, Avatar: The Legend of Korra
Starbuck, Pilot BDUs, Battlestar Galactica

-
knowin' i'm their father like my name was darth vader.
d1g1tini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2007, 08:19 PM   #50
bunnymachine
Geek to the Extreme Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycat9 View Post
i dont mean to be disagreeable, but im a nerd and must correct...*so sorry*

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...t-v-muscle.jpg

as you can see, the 5 lbs of fat is much bulkier than the 5 lbs of muscle, but five pounds is still five pounds. muscle does not weigh more than fat, it is more dense than fat. so youre right, if you gain 5 lbs of muscle and burn off the fat, you wont tell a difference on a scale, but you sure as heck will in the mirror!! (which is way better to me, i want physical evidence for everyone to see, not just me in the bathroom going yay i lost 1.3 lbs!!)
Hee, it's all good ^_^ That's essentially what I meant; even if I see a difference in the mirror, there won't necessarily be one in the numbers on the scale. And yes, I agree! How I look > how much I weigh ^__^

And I second (third?) the get-in-shape-for-cosplay motion! My aim is to look good enough to show some leg as Sailor Venus and to not jiggle my way through the hallways wearing Julia's catsuit from Cowboy Bebop :3

Do you have any indoor exercise equipment? If you do, hook your videogames up in front of it and multitask!! The *only* reason why I've been good about exercising every day is coz my PS2 is in front of my treadmill, so I *have* to workout if I want to play ^___^

Good luck with everything!!
Otakon 2008!
Super Sailor Venus |Sailor Moon| -- Gwendolyn |Odin Sphere| -- Tsunade |Naruto|
bunnymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2007, 08:47 PM   #51
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

I've put on a few pounds recently after losing about 20, a big step for me, and I'm really discouraged. Right now I'm not quite a land whale, more a land manatee: flabby, awkward, and white. I don't want to continue in my current state of aquatic mammal-ness, so I need some support to go out and walk in the woods, or dance, or get on the treadmill, or lift some weights, just a couple of times a week for now. The problem is that it's SO hard for me to do anything physical, so my goal right now is just to get motivated enough to exercise a little every now and then.

Has anyone else struggled with that? How have the exercise-averse among you managed to sneak in some extra fitness time? Seriously, at this point I may need to be dragged kicking and screaming towards a stationary bike before I'll get off my butt. HALP.

--PD
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2007, 08:57 PM   #52
d1g1tini

OH YEAH!!! I just did 40 straight minutes of cardio, and lifted weights after! Then I walked home from the gym BACKWARDS, taking miss bunnymachine's advice. And Whiney_Farmboy sang the 'backwards man' song from Freddy Got Fingered to make fun of me.

and now i am roasting about 4lbs of venison in my stove. MMM MEAT AND VEGGIES! Pot roast isn't too bad for you, is it?

Wiccan, Young Avengers

-
Unread 11-26-2007, 09:04 PM   #53
d1g1tini

PENNY! For you, dear, I shall reply again. ^_^

The biggest way I got myself to enjoy running was okay. This is totally lame. But I watched that show 'Made' on MTV? And it's totally dumb, but some of those kids were totally physically inept, and even they could swing an 11 minute mile. So i told myself my goal was to get down to my 9 minute mile from high school. It's a goal that's more fun to work towards than 'losing weight' or something. Other goals to look forward to are like -
- Standing on tiptoes for ten minutes
- Walk for an hour without stopping
- Run to (enter landmark here) and back without stopping
- Perform X dance without stopping
- Do Paranoia on Heavy mode
- etc. etc etc.

The other motivation I found is this - the nutritionist at my work said if you're trying to lose weight, you really need to be doing 30 minutes of cardio (ANYTHING that gets your heart rate up and sustains it) for 5 days a week. I find exercising EVERY day is way easier than doing it a few times a week. It lets me make up less excuses. And BOY does it burn off stress. I had a TERRIBLE day today. And now I came home from running to the smell of my pot roast, and my favorite trash program (I LOOOOOVE NEW YORK!) on the Idiot Box.

That's my advice.

Wiccan, Young Avengers

-
Unread 11-26-2007, 09:09 PM   #54
Orihime-chan
Living how it is

Hey! Just checking back with everyone to see how everyone's doing! ^^ I'm happy! I just got back from a 36 minute jog and I feel great! This thread is doing great for me! I did what TseUq did in a way xD Except I had to buy the cosplay =X T.T I didn't have enough time to make it before the photoshoot and workout. But I got a size smaller ^^ So it's motivating me to not waste $105 for nothing. <3 Thank you guys have motivated me a lot. But I have the weakness of getting into character and I've had a lot of sweets >< *curses Honey-senpai and L*

Quick tip: Studies have shown that instead of drinking coffee in the morning, eating an apple will give you the same amount of energy.
Fai D. Flourite-100% done!
Ouran Uniform for Honey-senpai- 54% ((curse me when I sold my ouran uniform >< But Honey shall live again for pictures! xD))
Org. XIII Roxas- 34%

My 2 favorite qoutes (from teachers xD):
"If at first you don't succeed, you FAIL"
"Don't second guess. If you didn't get it right the first time, what makes you think you'll get it right the second time?
Orihime-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2007, 12:23 AM   #55
bunnymachine
Geek to the Extreme Power

Penny-dreadful: Okay, the way that I finally got myself up off my lazy butt to exercise was by keeping an exercise journal. I took all my measurements (waist, hips, thighs, etc.) and wrote em down, and decided how much I wanted to lose from each one (like. 2 inches off my thighs, 4 off my waist, etc). Then, every time I exercise, I just record what I did and how long I did it. Every week or so I take new measurements and write them down, and have a mini-party every time I lose something (okay, so I've only lost a bit off my waist, and I just found that out last night, and my "party" was really me just hopping around my room all retarded and excited, but whatever works XD)

For some reason, it really helps to have to be accountable for something, even if it's only for myself XD I just really can't stand when I don't exercise out of laziness and I have to write down "was lazy today" in my journal :3

And if you have a DS or a book you're really into or something, bring it along with you when you work out!! I know I've said that like 18645634 times, sorry XD But it SERIOUSLY DOES HELP!! It not only keeps you from getting bored and giving up, but I've found when I'm fighting a really hard boss in Odin Sphere or Kingdom Hearts 2, I pedal a lot faster for some reason. I guess I just get *really* excited :3

Good luck!
Otakon 2008!
Super Sailor Venus |Sailor Moon| -- Gwendolyn |Odin Sphere| -- Tsunade |Naruto|
bunnymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2007, 07:03 AM   #56
Jabi
Formerly Kasui_Enoki

+My boyfriend and I went on an hour long walk at 6 AM a couple days ago.

+I haven't had the same cravings for food I used to, so I'm happy that my stomach is learning not to eat all the time.

+ We're going to write out a "Daily Goal" checklist for ourselves to make sure we're getting everything done that we need to.

+ No sit-ups yet. I haven't had a moment where I can just sit and get them done. Too much work :/

JabiCosplay @ Tumblr
JabiCosplay @ Facebook
Jabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2007, 08:08 AM   #57
The Tenten
Glory In the Flower

Penny, another good way is to bring someone with you to work out.. I have the SAME problem. I'm very very lazy. But having someone with you helps WONDERS. Given if it's not someone who doesn't want to be there. If you work a lot like I do, it's a good to do early mornings, helps you wake up. Also music helps as well. Usually something with a good beat, keeps you singing rather than how much it sucks or how tired you are.
The Tenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2007, 10:34 AM   #58
Shawnzy
Is Jealous of a Pillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuki-kun View Post
X'D

ack-
I have really really short/chubby legs. I HATE THAT.
The rest of my body is completely fine,

I was just wondering, but does roller blading help make your legs skinnier?
O_o;; I've been roller blading for 1 hour everyday for the last month, and I only gained muscles. >__<; now it looks really bulky and stuff-
@_@; my parents keep telling me that I'll eventually grow taller and my legs won't be a problem. This has been bugging me for a while now~

btw, I'm only 5'0"
T_T;; and I currently weigh about 90lbs >__>;
[but I LOOK chubbier than i should = =; ]
If there's one thing in my years of losing weight and bulking is that there is no such thing as "target weight loss" Its impossible, you cant target a specific area to lose weight. Your body decides where you lose weight first, and where you lose it last. So for anyone who is trying to lose weight in only a specific area...sorry...not gonna happen.

For you my advice is this. Diet. When it comes to losing weight its mostly all about Diet. You are already rather light, so losing weight for you could actually be unhealthy. My advice is to eat much healthier, and get a steady stream of exercise. Do not focus on working out your legs trying to target weight loss. Just get some cardio routines going, and maybe some very basic weight training.

If it doesnt work than you may just have to deal with having a bit meatier legs. Some girls are like that, just like some have larger chests etc. Its not necessarily a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druix View Post
Yay, what a great thread! I've never really dieted or worked out regularly in my life, so I'm nt sure exactly what to do. I don't feel I am overweight, I'm actually average weight for a girl my size and age (5'5 1/2", 17 years old), but I seriously lack any kind of toning or definition. This hasn't really bothered me too much before now, but I'm going to be Sai from Naruto for Fanime 2008, and I'd like to work on making my tummy look....well, presentable, haha.

I was thinking I should do sit-ups because they work your stomach muscles, right? But other than that, I'm not sure what to do.

My eating habits aren't too bad. I don't think I need to change what I eat, just maybe change how much I eat. You know, more of the healthy, less of the bad stuff.

I was also wondering if--and I don't know if this is a weird question---as I work out and stuff, even though I'm focusing on my stomach, is there a chance I'll lost anything around the face? Okay, that sounded better in my head. Basically, I've noticed in a lot of pictures of me that my jawline tends to not stand out as much as I'd like, blending a little with my neck. Can I change that, or is that like a genetic thing?
Same for you as above, you cant target weight loss, so by getting more in shape you can only hope that you will lose the weight around your face. The body is a tricky thing though...and the place it stores fat first, is usually the place it loses fat last. Typically in women this is the chest, thighs, and face. Men being stomach first mostly.

For you to want definition the answer is same as above. Its all about Diet. You can work your abs to death and they'll never show if you dont have a healthy diet. Ask any body builder, they bulk first (eat a lot and gain muscle, but also fat too) and the cut (diet really well so the fat comes off and shows off the muscles really well)

So for you, try cutting down on calories and eating healthier foods while continuing to do some exercises to build the muscles you want to show later.

Hope that helps!
Unread 11-27-2007, 11:25 AM   #59
sarah mudo
proud eurotrash member

I am definatley joining this thread. It's hard for me to find motivation to work out since It's all on me. hopefully this thread will give me motivation.^_^

Some ideas to help me along the way:
eating sugar free gum when I NEED candy
drink more green tea
eat smaler portions (my family insists on making enough food for 8 when theres 4 of us)

I prefer yoga or pilates to running but im slowly accepting the fact that I might have to run.... noooo

this might sound harsh but soemone told me that if I craved junk food I should brush my teeth or use listerine that gross minty taste always makes me loose my craving

I'm also trying to get in shape for a Sailor Moon cosplay. I'm doing pgsm Sailor Mars
sarah mudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2007, 12:05 PM   #60
Shawnzy
Is Jealous of a Pillow

Yes, Pilates and Yoga really wont help you lose the few extra pounds. You need to get your heart pumping. But it doesnt necessarily have to be through running. You can ride a bike, Swim, Jump rope, or even Skipping can be means of good cardio. As long as you can get your heart pumping for at least 30 minutes a day, it will do your body good.