Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 4.95 average.
Unread 06-10-2008, 07:17 PM   #811
Nygenx
My Life for Aiur

Evening everyone! And a quick question to the weightlifting experienced.

I usually stick to Martial Arts / Training with my own body weight. However, today my college fitness class was stationed in the gym. I had my teacher show me some weightlifting techniques, which were all pretty much unfamiliar to me.

I did have one rather large problem. She set me up doing squats.(or what she told me were squats). If I am not mistaken squats are for the legs and glutes. However, After 3-4 sets of 12 reps, the only thing that hurt were my knees. Is my technique bad, or is that kinda normal? I was lifting around 125 pounds if thats of any consequence.

My Wooden Scabbard Tutorial
Nygenx is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-10-2008, 07:44 PM   #812
Hiryuu
Go BIG or go home!

Nygenx: You might be doing them wrong, or right. You need to squeeze in your butt while going up and down to get the work out. However, you might be doing them right, and you'll feel it in the morning. Depends on when you started. I didn't start feeling my squats til three days in, and then they hurt like a mother. Just keep going and you'll find out.

And I'm back guys XD. Still at 119lbs, and trying to find a way to get back into doing leg workouts...I just can't find the drive.
Unread 06-10-2008, 08:35 PM   #813
JonathonWolf

It could also be that your knees aren't used to working like that. I discovered something similar when I made the mistake of trying to go down a flight of 800 steps and come back up. It's a whole set of muscles I don't ever work like that. Now I've made the stairclimber a vital part of my work out.
JonathonWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2008, 09:35 PM   #814
Reamy
ECC Member of Spazztastic

I'm ALIVE~! Whoo~! So training is still going strong. I've lost 10 pounds ~! : D I still need to loose a lot more body fat. My friend and I just did the hardest women's exercise program I've EVER done. (>.>) We can't wait to do it again. I hadn't felt those muscles in over 6 months. It was amazing.
I want to recommend www.spark.com and www.sparkteens.com for those of you who are freaking out and pretty much treading water or don't know how to kick start your workout plan. My mother and I use these programs. 100% free and more than a little (MUCH MORE) helpful for me (and apparently millions of other people too).
Happy exercising and Good LUCK TO ALL OF YOU~!

Costumes Coming up~:
Tsubasa R. Chronicle - Fai 40%
PARADISE KISS - Isabella 0%

>----> www.ninkittycreations.com <----<

"ECC - Everyone Can Cosplay. A bunch of friends sharing a hobbie we all love. No rules, membership, or requirments. Want to come? We'd LOVE to have you. Cosplay is optional and you don't have to attend any more then you see fit. ECC, because we all love the same thing and sharing that with a group is a wonderful thing."

Reamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2008, 10:52 PM   #815
SanaK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nygenx View Post
Evening everyone! And a quick question to the weightlifting experienced.

I usually stick to Martial Arts / Training with my own body weight. However, today my college fitness class was stationed in the gym. I had my teacher show me some weightlifting techniques, which were all pretty much unfamiliar to me.

I did have one rather large problem. She set me up doing squats.(or what she told me were squats). If I am not mistaken squats are for the legs and glutes. However, After 3-4 sets of 12 reps, the only thing that hurt were my knees. Is my technique bad, or is that kinda normal? I was lifting around 125 pounds if thats of any consequence.
Hi! As far as I know, pain in the knees mean your legs, back and general body position while you're doing your squats must be incorrect. ^^ Squat positioning is very, very, very important for the squat to even be effective and also to reduce strain on your knees, which can become dangerous. Your knees should never hurt while you're doing squats. Make sure that when you bend down at the 90 degree angle, and when you look down your knees are not bent over your feet on the ground. If it is in that position, then all the strain is being applied to your knees and it will be painful. Also make sure your feet are planted shoulder-width apart on the ground, face forward. Also, I suggest having a wall behind you for a little bit of support. ^^ Be careful!
SanaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 12:31 AM   #816
twilaa
Procrastinating Queen

I've never looked to other cosplayers for support before and this thread really does feel like a great support other than family and friends in real life. I join in!!

Facts: I'm 5'2" - 5'3" and have bulges in places that really affect my confidence in regular clothing AND in cosplay. My thighs, hips, sides, butt and back really need to lose their flabs. >.< Back when I was a teenager, I took years of different martial arts and was toned to a fault, but stopped in the middle of high school and haven't gotten back on the wagon since.

My goals:
-slim and trim down, girl! DX
-I'd like for my back and sides to lose their folds. (No more muffin top!!)
-Thighs need to be trimmed
-Bottom must get smaller and toned

I have a cosplay I'm working on for ComicCon and would really like to feel much more confident in my clothing. I plan to fit comfortably in skinny jeans or form-fitting jeans and not worry about the disproportions of my thighs to my calves. And a slimmer waist would be appreciated as well. ^^

I have already started on a diet and exercise regimen for the past week! I just need to stick to it. DX I do carefully planned toning and fat-burning exercises for 20 minutes twice a week. During the remaining five days, I bike for 30 minutes to one hour (with hills around my neighborhood). I'm also considering buying leg weights to wear during my bike rides and carrying dumbbells around the house when I'm not occupied very much. Any thoughts to that?

I am cutting sugar from my diet (for health reasons as well). I want to have a high-protein diet and stick to it. I even drink carefully blended whey-protein shakes with vegetables and some fruits when possible. And am drinking at least two bottles of water a day.

I have a pretty slow metabolism. Is there any healthy way I can speed it up?
Also, I've received debated answers to this question: Is it better to eat your meals before you exercise, or after you exercise?

Thanks and I wish everyone in this thread luck!!
twilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 09:51 AM   #817
SanaK

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilaa View Post
I've never looked to other cosplayers for support before and this thread really does feel like a great support other than family and friends in real life. I join in!!

Facts: I'm 5'2" - 5'3" and have bulges in places that really affect my confidence in regular clothing AND in cosplay. My thighs, hips, sides, butt and back really need to lose their flabs. >.< Back when I was a teenager, I took years of different martial arts and was toned to a fault, but stopped in the middle of high school and haven't gotten back on the wagon since.

My goals:

I have a cosplay I'm working on for ComicCon and would really like to feel much more confident in my clothing. I plan to fit comfortably in skinny jeans or form-fitting jeans and not worry about the disproportions of my thighs to my calves. And a slimmer waist would be appreciated as well. ^^

I have already started on a diet and exercise regimen for the past week! I just need to stick to it. DX I do carefully planned toning and fat-burning exercises for 20 minutes twice a week. During the remaining five days, I bike for 30 minutes to one hour (with hills around my neighborhood). I'm also considering buying leg weights to wear during my bike rides and carrying dumbbells around the house when I'm not occupied very much. Any thoughts to that?

I am cutting sugar from my diet (for health reasons as well). I want to have a high-protein diet and stick to it. I even drink carefully blended whey-protein shakes with vegetables and some fruits when possible. And am drinking at least two bottles of water a day.

Also, I've received debated answers to this question: Is it better to eat your meals before you exercise, or after you exercise?

I'm probably not totally qualified to answer this, so I just thought I might tell you my personal experiences, since I've been working out for a really long time. A healthy way to speed up your metabolism is very easy and straightforward ^^ which is running and weight training, in my opinion, specifically weight training. After just one weight training session your metabolism can be boosted for quite a long time, only after a relatively short session of weight training. Consistently running and doing weight-training, every other day for the upper and lower body, while working in the cardio, will have your metabolism boosted, and is the healthiest way to do it. Also, eating breakfast in the morning is very important too. :]
Unread 06-11-2008, 10:07 AM   #818
shellypants

I agree with SanaK--our personal trainer has us do alternating days of upper and lower body weights, and cardio as well. My hubby and I have been doing it for three weeks now, and I can already see small changes in my body structure ("oh, I DO have muscles there! XD").

Another thing he recommended was to eat a LOT of small meals--meals that total 300 calories, to eat between 4-6 times a day, and to be conscious of portion sizes--there are a lot of hidden calories if you get duped into thinking that one bagel is one serving (they make them so big these days, that half a bagel is the proper serving size @.@). Scary!

That, in combo with the workouts, has boosted my metabolism a lot! I'd recommend it to anyone!
shellypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 10:12 AM   #819
F. Silverberg

Quote:

As mentioned before, weight-training in conjunction with interval running is the healthiest and fastest way to boost your metabolism.

The reason why you've received debated answers is unfortunately because it's just that, debatable (at this point). It doesn't hurt to consume protein before and after a work-out (immediately after), but as for an actual meal, I try not to work-out until 1-2 hours after I've consumed a meal. Dinner is the only exception to this, I eat dinner after my work-out and shower.
Unread 06-11-2008, 10:16 AM   #820
F. Silverberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellypants View Post
Another thing he recommended was to eat a LOT of small meals--meals that total 300 calories, to eat between 4-6 times a day, and to be conscious of portion sizes--there are a lot of hidden calories if you get duped into thinking that one bagel is one serving (they make them so big these days, that half a bagel is the proper serving size @.@). Scary!
I actually prefer a graduated calorie intake where I consume the most at breakfast and the least during dinner (unfortunately, social circumstances prevent me from doing this ALL the time, but if you can do this the majority of the time, it's still good).

I agree with the "more, smaller" meals a day philosophy though.

I didn't see it mentioned in the last few pages, but a good way to "watch" what you eat is to write down EVERYTHING you consume in a day. It also gives you a good idea of how many calories you're consuming in a normal day before making modifications, and when you write something down and can see it, it's a lot easier to not overlook than mental notes.
Unread 06-11-2008, 10:45 AM   #821
Uraya

I have a question, is it healthy to lose around 1000 calories a day? :\ My exercise plan includes swimming for 2 hours every day (which loses around 500 calories), playing badminton for 1 hour (around 500 cal. also) and walking my dog, which will also burn some calories. I usually eat probably from 1500 cal to 2000 cal a day, so will burning 1000 calories a day for several weeks be healthy?
Uraya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 11:03 AM   #822
SanaK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uraya View Post
I have a question, is it healthy to lose around 1000 calories a day? :\ My exercise plan includes swimming for 2 hours every day (which loses around 500 calories), playing badminton for 1 hour (around 500 cal. also) and walking my dog, which will also burn some calories. I usually eat probably from 1500 cal to 2000 cal a day, so will burning 1000 calories a day for several weeks be healthy?
As long as you're doing it the healthy, right way, I think that it's alright. Exercising like that is perfectly fine and healthy, as long as you make sure to still consume those 1500 to 2000 calories a day. Athletes and people who are avid runners/bikers or swimmers, etc, usually need to consume far more calories than those who engage in only sedentary activity. I guess it comes with the territory, if you're upping your physical activity daily, just make sure not to skimp out on the eating too, even though it can be hard. After a good workout, I usually don't have much of an appetite. Also, it might be a good idea to ease your way into this program, unless you're already used to that level of activity. I say go for it! :] Good luck and keep up the great work!

I just got back from a jog myself, the heat out there is dangerous right now o.o; Drink plenty of water and be careful, everyone!^^
Unread 06-11-2008, 11:14 AM   #823
MeWindyCharms
omg hay girl haaay

Quote:
My goals:

If you're trying to do "slim and trim," I would not reccomment wearing leg weights for cycling. You'd be building muscle yes, but they would be more well...muscular looking than the long and lean you're aiming for. The way you get the "slim and trim" pretty muscle is to do a very low weight like 10 lbs and then doing a ridiculous amount of reps. We're talking anywhere from 50 to 200 reps. Biking is an EXCELLENT way to tone your muscles and the low weight, repetitive reps will trim the muscle down. The downside is the only repetitive leg excercises with weights I know are the machines at the gym. ^^; So sorry about that. However, I would be shocked if a Google search didn't yield results for at home leg exercises. Also, the next time you're at the grocery store or somewhere with magazines, check out wedding magazines. For serious. They have target excerises for different parts of the body for different dress types (ex: short, long, strapless, halter, etc) with gym and at home workouts. As for carrying dumbells around the house for your arms, just stick to doing the 50 to 200 reps with 5 lbs.

Quote:

Do the whole 4-5 meals a day routine. If you're constantly snacking the whole day and eating smaller meals your body is constantly working. Eventually, your metabolism speeds up because it becomes used to regularly breaking down nutrients and such. Big meals slow your metabolism down because it has to work through a lot of stuff (I sound so scientific) which slows the process.

I like to workout atleast 2 hours after my last meal. I have more energy and I feel like I can push myself harder. If I can't get a good workout and go all out then I feel like the workout was a waste. HOWEVER, this is just my preference and what works for me may not work for other people. Some people only have time to work out in the morning and it works for them. You could be one of those people. Come to think of it, if you want to speed up your metabolism, you may want to work out in the morning because I believe your metabolism increases after excercising.

I hope this is helpful and easy to understand. ^^; I'll try to answer any questions you have to the best of my ability. =D

The Active Cosplays
Carmen Sandiego
Tamaki Suoh
Jessica Rabbit
Fem!Russia
Fem!America
Daphne (Scooby Doo)
The Active-ISH Cosplays
Namine
Misa Amane

The 2010 Conventions
Akon(maybe)
San Japan
MechaCon(maybe maybe not)
Afest
MeWindyCharms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 11:20 AM   #824
JonathonWolf

I've heard that doing 100 punches on a bag will help you get lean arms and get rid of jiggly turkey something or other. As far as home exercises, you can do leg raises and extensions, climb stairs, and do lunges.
JonathonWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 11:27 AM   #825
Uraya

Quote:
I've heard that doing 100 punches on a bag will help you get lean arms and get rid of jiggly turkey something or other
Is the thing you're punching required to be a bag? :O *eyes least favorite classmate*
Uraya is offline   Reply With Quote