Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair > User-Submitted Wig FAQ's and Tutorial Threads

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 294 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-05-2008, 06:00 AM   #196
Ruka-hime

I tried to curl a kanekalon wig with hot water and smoothed it out again multiple times, now it looks like I teased it or something, it's gone all fluffy and combing doesn't help. :/ Does anyone have a clue how to solve this?
Ruka-hime is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-13-2008, 02:42 PM   #197
MochaValentino
kore ga samurai damashiii

How long before a con should you style your wig? I mean, how long does hairspray and stuff last? And in what temperatures? I heard wigs are worse in heat than real hair, or is that wrong?
Unread 09-13-2008, 03:22 PM   #198
Lolita Minako
Cosmic Gemini Cosplayer

I am not sure about the hairspray questions....

Wig fibers usually do not do well in heat, since they are usually polyester-based. Polyester tends to melt in heat. ^^;; Wigs can melt, frizz, crimp, or worse if left in extreme temperatures for too long. This is usually in cars, where temperatures can skyrocket in no time flat.
ACP|Cure #155513|CosplayLab|World Cosplay|Twitter|Tumblr

"Comments on style should not be made by those who have none." ~Emma Carew, Jekyll & Hyde: The Musical
Lolita Minako is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2008, 02:18 AM   #199
Jaisuke
ಠ_ಠ

I was wondering about that question myself
---
lol. Due to hot water not straightening my bobbed wig properly, I used a straightener on minimal heat.
(I tested it on barbies first though, to see if the plastic would melt) X DDD'
Jaisuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2008, 01:50 PM   #200
caineyamiyasha
Riku Winter

Very interesting and useful thread. Glad that I found this and thank you for posting it.
caineyamiyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2008, 01:58 PM   #201
caineyamiyasha
Riku Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ametatsu View Post
How long before a con should you style your wig? I mean, how long does hairspray and stuff last? And in what temperatures? I heard wigs are worse in heat than real hair, or is that wrong?
I think for that question it depends on how/what you are styling. You want to make sure that you style it and have enough time to finish. With either gluing or wefting.

For glue: I style my wigs with Got2Be spray and glue and they last a really long time, some times they need some touch up over time but over all they are fine. If you take good care of your wigs they can last for a long long time.

Heat: If you leave wigs in heat or hot cars it will ruin the style if sprayed/gelled. I totally believe that wigs are way worse in heat.
I have left some wigs in my car when I ran out to the con and when I came back to them all the spikes had deflated.

Just though that I would ad some of my personal experiences as reference.
caineyamiyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2008, 07:18 PM   #202
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

As long as you cover the wig or store it in a cool and dry area out of the sunlight, you can style it as early as you want to. Just don't mess with it and store it on a wig head or in a box stuffed with paper or foam peanuts.

As for the heat, (quality) fiber can be formed safely at a temperature of 160-180°F. Anything higher than that may cause the fiber to frizz beyond repair, or even melt it (around 200°F I think.) Always use a thermometer when attempting to straighten a wig with hot water, and test it on a strand first if you're unsure about the quality of the fiber. Cheap (halloween wig) fibers and heat-resistant fibers will be more difficult to style with heat.
Kukkii-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2008, 06:31 PM   #203
Drunken Master
GAMBAI!

okay look i know you dislike the spray dye and if i was not in a huge rush to get the wig i have looking right i would normally not do it...but will it hurt the wig? it was like a 15 dollar wig and it looked alot lighter in the picture and i have white spray...will it really do anything though?
"I higly recommend pissing your selves followed by course of praying to your impotent god, then cowering in a corner and begging always good, but oif your fast there still time for an old fashioned suicide, thank you london we love you good night" ~Jan Valentine

Next Con

Otakon
~ Dark/Shin/Evil Ryu
~ Goth Kankuro
~ Jan Valentine
~ Brad Wong (maybe)
Drunken Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2008, 06:13 PM   #204
WonderKittyTomo

Ok....So i'm planning to cosplay as Rikku form ff10 in the neer future (aka Halloween) and decided to style my own wig this time. The is problem is that I have no idea on wig styling and such and was wondering on how to make her parted bangs (ref pic: http://www.ffonline.com/media/artwor...ff10/rikku.jpg )
Also would I have to use extentions to make her little braids on the ends or just use a longer wig? Could you also be able to recommend a good wig colour? i've looked and can't seen to find the right one. Thank You!!!!
con-g-mtac-anime north-con bravo-cosplay picnics-fan expo cosplay picnic dtac
Found a way around the catsuit
formerly wonderkittytomo

Last edited by WonderKittyTomo : 10-18-2008 at 01:36 PM.
WonderKittyTomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2008, 05:32 PM   #205
ToxicUchiha1
Member of CrAzYcOsPlAyEr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruka-hime View Post
I tried to curl a kanekalon wig with hot water and smoothed it out again multiple times, now it looks like I teased it or something, it's gone all fluffy and combing doesn't help. :/ Does anyone have a clue how to solve this?
did you use hot water or room temperature water? room temperature helps straighten it but if it's too hot it can get frizzy and fluffy and just look bad. and DO NOT keep combing it while it's like that, your just going to tangle it. try it at room temperature, wait until it's dry, and then comb, if that doesn't help then sorry
Unread 10-14-2008, 05:54 PM   #206
Kailyn
The Alpha Bitch

I love this thread. xD Saved me having to make a "How do I wash a wig" and "How do I straighten a wig" thread. =D

Another thing is... a lot of the links provided says not to comb or brush the wig out when it's wet.

I sorta broke that rule and used a wig comb with very wide teeth to gently untangle the knots on it. It worked fine. Now I just gotta wait for the wig to dry before I brush it out some more.

Last edited by Kailyn : 10-14-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Kailyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2008, 05:30 PM   #207
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

DO NOT brush a wet wig. Seriously. If you need help detangling it, apply oil sheen spray or wig conditioner instead (to create an even coat or oil film on the fiber), let it dry, then gently detangle it using your fingers, the handle of a comb, or a wig brush/comb (in that order.)

Wet fiber is not easier to brush than dry fiber (unless you pour hot water over it to straighten it while you're brushing it), and you risk pulling out lots of fiber from the undermesh while it's wet.
Unread 10-16-2008, 09:20 AM   #208
Dark Kaze

I got questions about wig styling products. I want to make a spiky wig...

I never use got2b before cuz those stuff don't sell at my place. So I wonder is this the glue that I should use, Got2b Glued styling hair Spiking Glue?

And is it ok to use another brand of hairspray, like Wella or any other hairspray on the wig covered with the Got2b glue?

Any other brands that I can use besides Got2b? I use Loreal Studio Indestructible Gel on my wig but it ain't that indestructible...haha. Maybe I put too little gel... and maybe it only works on human hair^^;;
Dark Kaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2008, 07:58 PM   #209
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

If you want a spiking glue / gel, the only one I can recommend is Got2B (the one you mentioned). Most hair gels don't work on wigs.

If you're looking for a spray with instant hold - I dunno, any expensive stylist's hairspray with super extra mega... hold should do.

Personally, though, I prefer cheap hairspray, blow dryer heat, and a hint of Got2B spiking glue for roots and tips when I need to make spikes. Professional hairspray has its advantages, but I rarely use it - mostly to fix a wig quickly (add instant poof, control fly-aways) right before a con.
Unread 10-17-2008, 09:02 PM   #210
Lolita Minako
Cosmic Gemini Cosplayer

I hear Aqua Net works great on wigs, and it is cheap, too.
ACP|Cure #155513|CosplayLab|World Cosplay|Twitter|Tumblr

"Comments on style should not be made by those who have none." ~Emma Carew, Jekyll & Hyde: The Musical
Lolita Minako is offline   Reply With Quote