Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair > User-Submitted Wig FAQ's and Tutorial Threads

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 399 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-14-2010, 07:08 PM   #451
Jennifer337

This isn't really a styling question, but when I put on my wigs, the sideburns always stick out to the sides a bit. Is there something I can use to get them to stay flat near my ears? I think I read something about using a small amount eyelash glue, but I have no idea.
Jennifer337 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-14-2010, 10:00 PM   #452
Lolita Minako
Cosmic Gemini Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochiko View Post
[...]And where do you find wig scissors? I did a web search on them, and all I found were hideous Edward Scissorhands masks.
I use regular hair cutting scissors/razors that you can get at any beauty supply store. You just may have to replace them more often than you would if you were cutting human hair. :]
ACP|Cure #155513|CosplayLab|World Cosplay|Twitter|Tumblr

"Comments on style should not be made by those who have none." ~Emma Carew, Jekyll & Hyde: The Musical
Lolita Minako is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 10:33 PM   #453
DisneyGirlAmber
Life looks rosier today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukkii-san View Post
It's plastic, it won't get moldy that quickly ^.^ But you can take out the curlers when the fiber has cooled off, just be prepared that the weight of the wet fiber will weigh the curls down a little.

Letting the wig dry in a heated room will speed up the process.

Thanks for the advice! Wig came out exactly the way I want! Now to keep it from getting messy/ratty/uncurled before Animazement >.< lol That's the real chore haha
DisneyGirlAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2010, 03:57 PM   #454
bluestbunnie
(*ノω*)

I cut the bangs on my wig too and I'm wondering if I can cover them by 'heat setting' the hair on the sides over top of the short bangs?
Unread 04-30-2010, 03:04 AM   #455
PapouGirl
Evil Ex Waiting to Happen

I searched the forum and couldn't find anything on this, so hopefully I'm bringing up something new and not just repeating something.

Is there any special way to cut a curly wig? (I only need to cut off several inches, nothing major) I cut wigs all the time, but I just realized today that I've never done a curly one, and I don't want to go into it completely blind and mess it up, especially since it's a really nice wig.
Unread 05-11-2010, 09:42 PM   #456
SailorVChan

How do you ship a wig without it getting ruined? Do you just have to use strong molding stuff on the hair? Or do you need to ship it a specific way?
SailorVChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #457
Nerfherder
Puu! - Mokona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost613 View Post
Also, along these lines:
Quote:
Here's a very helpful tutorial for a spiky Kingdom Hearts wig:
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=97834
This link is broken as of recently :<
Nerfherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2010, 11:19 AM   #458
Mimiru1618

Okay I have a question...I have a cosmos wig, and I'm only styling the bangs into curls. I got foam curlers, which a salon stylist who helped me cut the wig told me to use...(I haven't used them yet or even opened them). Are these fine if I dampen the hair with hot water? Also....is there a certain hairspray I SHOULDN'T use? I live out in the country...so all of my stuff came from dollar general down the street. I'm planning on testing stuff out on a weft so I don't screw the crap out of my actual wig. It's a Godiva wig, but as I said, the bangs are cut...so it's not as long as it was when I got it 8D!

I have scissors, a flat comb, a brush, foam/sponge rollers, hairspray for extreme hold by Suave (http://www.alice.com/products/1262887)

Before I start....is there anything I should know so I don't destroy my lovely wig? ;o;
Modern Trap Ciel Phantomhive - Kuroshitsuji

Possible Future Cosplays
Cross Marian - D. Gray Man
Adell - Disgaea 2
Flonne - Disgaea
Cosmos - Dissidia
Yulia - Tales of the Abyss
Lucrecia Crescent - Dirge of Cerberus
Lelouch - Code Geass
Mimiru1618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2010, 07:17 PM   #459
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

Throw away the foam curlers, just get a couple of plain plastic curlers (no hooks/nails/felt... fancy stuff that's supposed to stick to your hair, it's going to destroy the fiber) and pin them under the bottom layers of the bangs so you can shape the fiber over the curve.

Cut the bangs layer by layer, razor the ends, apply hairspray to the layer you just cut, rest it on the curlers and blow dry it (on the lowest setting) until the hairspray has dried. (Use your hands to shape the fiber more if needed, until it curves under nicely. Apply heat while you hold it in shape, let it cool off, and let go.) Proceed with the next layer.

There are plenty of video and photo tutorials on the forums / on youtube that cover this exact process, however ^.^

As for hairspray, just buy the strongest stuff you can get. You can't ruin a wig with styling products; if you mess up, just brush it out (or wash the wig) and start over.
Unread 05-17-2010, 10:15 AM   #460
Kirato

hey all was wondering if anyone can help me with a styling question.

His hair seems to just wave out, twas wondering how should i go about this. please and thank you
Kirato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 12:44 PM   #461
Rikku92
SecondStarCosplay

could anyone recomend a great tutorial on how to spike a wig for a hair style like Kamina from TTGL? http://fc00.deviantart.com/fs21/f/20...kaminaklub.jpg
I'm a total novice, and I really don't want to ruin a wig

Follow me on Facebook! SecondStarCosplay
Rikku92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 01:18 AM   #462
Renshai

Doing Meg (image below) from Disney's Hercules this year for Metro. Never styled a wig before and I was wondering if it would be better to get a shoulder length wig and then add extensions (which I'm clueless as to how to go about) or getting a very long wig and just pulling it up into a pony tail? (...which I'm equally clueless about, only ever had one other wig and it came pre-styled...)

--Audrey Hepburn
"Paris When it Sizzles"
Renshai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #463
Sangochan241
Sky Blue Days~

I've got no idea if this as already been asked (sorry! But I didnt want to look throuh 11 pages!)

What should I do if I cut my bangs for my wig too short?

what are my options?
Unread 05-20-2010, 07:10 PM   #464
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

- Buy a new wig
- ?
Kukkii-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2010, 02:52 AM   #465
Fullmetal_C
The Girl

This might be kind of a strange/dumb question but i've only worked with longer wigs (chin or longer) but i wanna buy and style a wig for my boyfriend to do Roger Smith from Big O. I'm not sure what is the best way to go about this though...i know that when i buy longer wigs, usually you can see the hair lining on the back part and sides of the wig. If i was to try and get the straight edge, goofy angly, side-swept thing going with his hair i'm afraid the front of the wig will show T_T

Anyone have any ideas or recommendations????? Here is a reference pic --> http://tempr.us/images/celrogersmith1.jpg

Thank you!!!!
Lightning - FFXIII
Kairi - KH2
Fullmetal_C is offline   Reply With Quote