Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair > User-Submitted Wig FAQ's and Tutorial Threads

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 267 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-16-2010, 01:42 PM   #571
thoetmosis

Hello there,
I've got a question regarding wig styling prices. Is a wig styling of 25 euros expensive (elfish and lotr-based medium-long wig) ?
thoetmosis is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-16-2010, 02:36 PM   #572
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

You have to look at this way, A. how much is the base wig and B. how many hours would it take to get the style just right. Basically you are paying for a service I've had proper style hair cutter charge $68CAN a section just for the service and not the price of a wig attached.

FanEXPO
Wearing random Arda Wigs.
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, (maybe) Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 11:58 AM   #573
Graceasaur

I used a straighter on my Alice in Wonderland wig to turn it into a Misa Amane wig and it worked fine. I did keep it on 4 (mine goes up to 20) and used caution.

Yes, I must warn you like it said above, DONT USE SPRAY IN COLOR! I saw a Misa who bought blonde spray and her hair turned /green/! It looked //awful//. Buy a wig or hair dye, please people.
Graceasaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 12:28 PM   #574
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

Consider how long it would take to style the wig, and how much a craftsman would charge per hour - I honestly don't think you can do cheaper than 25 EUR. If it takes them longer than three hours to style your wig, ship it, and answer your e-mails, they're practically working at minimum wage.

If you could show us a picture of the base wig and the style you're going for, we could probably give you an estimate how long it normally takes a skilled person to style the wig.

Out of curiosity, are you talking about a Plastikhaar wig? (Because I think that's their going rate for simple styling jobs.)
Unread 11-18-2010, 08:50 AM   #575
thoetmosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukkii-san View Post
If you could show us a picture of the base wig and the style you're going for, we could probably give you an estimate how long it normally takes a skilled person to style the wig.

Out of curiosity, are you talking about a Plastikhaar wig? (Because I think that's their going rate for simple styling jobs.)

Yes, i was talking about a Plastikhaar wig
well this is the model that they will be using:
Yuri light blonde (ref pic that i included is from another colour though, but just to give an idea about the base wig) http://i56.tinypic.com/21l740g.jpg
and the styling will be a mix between http://i56.tinypic.com/2uohy1j.jpg and http://i54.tinypic.com/2yx26ja.jpg
thoetmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 10:37 AM   #576
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

The Yuri is my absolute favorite wig ever, so I'd definitely buy it, no matter whether you're going to be using their styling service or not! (I'd start with the bangless version, however.)

The styling job looks fairly simple and you could probably do it yourself, unless you're trying to create a widow's peak (but that would involve some major extension work or lace-fronting, so I doubt it's included in the 25 EUR styling fee.) You'll just need to layer it a bit for a more natural look, and maybe add some 'poofiness' to those long side bangs (using a strong hairspray like Got2B glued.)
Unread 11-27-2010, 03:07 AM   #577
pinkriverdolp

Hi there,

This might be a silly question, so I apologize in advance! I just received my wig for Ariel, the little mermaid. I'd like to get the big bangs that she sports. I'm assuming the best way to go about that would be tease the hair. Is this okay to do with a wig ( bought from cosworx)? Is there another way to achieve this look?

Thanks for your help!
pinkriverdolp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 04:21 AM   #578
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

Teasing it will destroy the fiber; you can do it (to the bottom layers only, so it won't be visible from the top / outside), but keep in mind that it's irreversible.

I suggest looking up photo and video tutorials on how to cut bangs into your wig, however; you can achieve most poofy styles / bangs with hairspray, curlers, and a blow dryer.
Unread 11-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #579
pinkriverdolp

That's helpful. Thank you, Kukkii-san
pinkriverdolp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #580
Sandrellae

I also tried an another way to straighten a wig without using heat, which was not listed. It was with a super curly halloween wig, and i took ponytail holders and put the back into one gigantic ponytail and yep adding ponytails holders, i did the same with the front, i waited four days and it looked really nice, not all the curls were taking out, because of xosplay reasons but it came out really nice.
Sandrellae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2010, 10:43 PM   #581
Lady In Red

: 3
Hiya, newbie with a question here!

So I just got my wig in the mail and it's awesome. I love it.
It's 100cm long and blonde, as I am cosplaying Integra Hellsing from the Hellsing series.
I'm debating on whether I should put those bang-spikey-things she has in my wig.
I'm terrified I"ll ruin it or it will just not look right : \
How would I go about putting the spikey things in, should I actually decide to?
Oh, and my wig has 'fringe' on the end of it, and I'm thinking I should cut that off, for looks and maybe it will help keep it from tangling...?

thanks~! : D
Lady In Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 05:14 AM   #582
Lovelychristina
Free hugs inquire within.

Really stupid question here ^^;

I went to the store to pick things up and Found out they Indeed Carry 'Got2Be' via a MVP saving sheet I got. I went to look and They had two versions. One was "Glue" and the other was "Spike". The Glue was out of Stock, so I couldn't compare them. But I'm wondering do they work The same? If so I'm going to get up as soon as they are open to pick up the Spike.
Lovelychristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 08:47 PM   #583
bunbunlikescake
CORGIS! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelychristina View Post
Really stupid question here ^^;

I went to the store to pick things up and Found out they Indeed Carry 'Got2Be' via a MVP saving sheet I got. I went to look and They had two versions. One was "Glue" and the other was "Spike". The Glue was out of Stock, so I couldn't compare them. But I'm wondering do they work The same? If so I'm going to get up as soon as they are open to pick up the Spike.
Yes they do work the same for me atleast. The glue does work better but that is just my opinion. There hairspray is also great too. The Got2b glue I use is XL Ultra Glued Invincible Styling Gel. The hairsprays I use also is XL got2b glue blasting freeze spray and Tresemme Extra firm control (both work).

It can take a while to dry with gels so be patient (Its really sticky too and hard to get off your hands)! If you do want to dry it faster use a hair dryer (Keep it on low heat and use the cold button so you don't damage the wig. Repeat this step! You might need a couple of people to help ya if you are doing a spikey or a difficult wig.) Another great glue is Adhesive Caulk. I hope this helps!

Last edited by bunbunlikescake : 01-02-2011 at 08:53 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes
bunbunlikescake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 12:48 AM   #584
Kawaii Pocky
I a shower, not a grower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkriverdolp View Post
Hi there,

This might be a silly question, so I apologize in advance! I just received my wig for Ariel, the little mermaid. I'd like to get the big bangs that she sports. I'm assuming the best way to go about that would be tease the hair. Is this okay to do with a wig ( bought from cosworx)? Is there another way to achieve this look?

Thanks for your help!
I saw a really good tutorial to get full fluffy bangs, it's on cosplay.com but I could see if I could find it and give you a link cause I think it's a link to a website. Or you could search the forums, I think I put in "wig styling" or some thing like that.

If you still need help give me a pm and I'd be happy to help you out. I remember that the tutorial did two layers of the bangs, used hair rollers to curl them upward and then after they were dry and set they brushed the bangs down and it makes them full and fluffy. But I don't remember what kind of product or what ever they used to hold the bangs.
Planned Cosplays 2013:
C.C. - Code Geass (100%)
Akihiko Sanada - Persona 3 (100%)
Lolita - (100%)
Yukiko Alt Color - Persona 3/Persona 4 Arena (planned)
Catherine - Catherine (planned)
Sebastian - Black Butler (planned)
Shiro Lolita - (planned)
Kawaii Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 05:49 AM   #585
Blood_Sword
Fabulous Boyfriend

Thank you, this thread is helpful... now I just need to find that got2b spiking glue. XD

*~In progress~*
Masamune Date - Sengoku Basara
Team Aqua Grunt (male) - Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire Version

*~Next con I'm attending~*
FIN Tracon (13-14th September 2014)
SAT Hajime Saitō - Hakuōki: Shinsengumi Kitan
SUN Ryūnosuke Ibuki - Hakuōki: Shinsengumi Kitan
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote