Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair > User-Submitted Wig FAQ's and Tutorial Threads

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 330 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-04-2011, 05:11 PM   #586
Emrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii Pocky View Post
I saw a really good tutorial to get full fluffy bangs, it's on cosplay.com but I could see if I could find it and give you a link cause I think it's a link to a website. Or you could search the forums, I think I put in "wig styling" or some thing like that.

If you still need help give me a pm and I'd be happy to help you out. I remember that the tutorial did two layers of the bangs, used hair rollers to curl them upward and then after they were dry and set they brushed the bangs down and it makes them full and fluffy. But I don't remember what kind of product or what ever they used to hold the bangs.
That would be a very useful tutorial! I'll have to search for it later!
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-05-2011, 04:52 PM   #587
Kawaii Pocky
I a shower, not a grower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emrys View Post
That would be a very useful tutorial! I'll have to search for it later!
http://www.tristencitrine.com/tutorials/wigbangs.html

Here's the link to the site, I think this is probably what you'd want.
Planned Cosplays 2013:
C.C. - Code Geass (100%)
Akihiko Sanada - Persona 3 (100%)
Lolita - (100%)
Yukiko Alt Color - Persona 3/Persona 4 Arena (planned)
Catherine - Catherine (planned)
Sebastian - Black Butler (planned)
Shiro Lolita - (planned)
Kawaii Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 06:41 PM   #588
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

Not really a question, but a reply to Admin's "subforum" announcement (since that thread is locked.)

Is there a way you can set the "forum settings" for this subforum to "show threads > beginning" automatically? Or sticky every thread in this subforum?

Because right now, with default settings ("show threads from the last 2 days"), not a single thread is visible in this subforum (except this one, right now^^) - thus decreasing the tutorial threads' visibility.

Personally, I'd rather see the countless Cosplay.com/CosWorx ads-disguised-as-threads disappear into a subforum, rather than the tutorial threads.
Kukkii-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #589
Devi 1313
Good girls gather

Ok, this may not be a very common question, but has anyone ever used a Bumpit with a wig? I'm considering a character that has big hair and that seems much cheaper than getting a 3/4 wig to tack on the back of an existing one.
Devi 1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 02:25 PM   #590
Pixie of Death
chaotic fabulous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devi 1313 View Post
Ok, this may not be a very common question, but has anyone ever used a Bumpit with a wig? I'm considering a character that has big hair and that seems much cheaper than getting a 3/4 wig to tack on the back of an existing one.
I've never tried it and haven't heard of anyone trying it, but I would imagine it would probably work so long as the wig is thick enough to leave you with enough hair to cover the Bumpit. If they're reasonably cheap, it might be worth it to just give it a try. After all, it's not going to hurt anything if it doesn't work.

Edit: Forgot I had a question of my own. *facepalm*

I grabbed some cheap styling paste at CVS to use on my Sebastian wig (when it finally gets here), then I read somewhere that some such products don't work particularly well unless you're going for a greasy, icky look - which I definitely do. not. want. I didn't find anything specifically regarding styling pastes, though, so... tell me, oh wig masters, will this work or do I need to get something else?
Ulquiorra Cifer | Bleach

.x.x.x. Costume journal, tutorials, and general wackiness here .x.x.x.

Last edited by Pixie of Death : 02-18-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Pixie of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #591
Faded_Illusions
Chibibunny713

I am doing a Launch from DBZ, and I am wearing my bumpit UNDER my wig in my own hair. It works PERFECTLY! But make sure you cover the teeth that are facing up into the wig, because the wig will get destroyed.
Unread 02-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #592
MiyakaMinamoto

I apologize if this has been covered before, but I simply don't have time to read 40 pages of Q & A's xD;;

How long can you leave the hair glue (or whatever you may use) in your wig? Will it ruin it or make it start to smell or something, after a certain amount of time?

(Story: My parents used up my gel > > they said they'd replace it, then got pissed off when I asked if we could go get some. My mom started spewing all these stupid questions and I suspect it was just because she didn't want to go that she was pretending to be so concerned. So, pissed off, I came back into my room and looked it up, but couldn't find anything...)

Now offering FREE photoshoots at Anime North!
(Though, I do accept food donations!)

Click here to book your photoshoot now!

Facebook -- DeviantArt -- Tumblr
MiyakaMinamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2011, 05:37 AM   #593
Diamondinmyeye
Save me a piece!

I'm wondering how different two types of white wig fibers will appear once they're dyed to a pale green colour. I bought a wig, not anticipating the intense styling I will need to undertake and now I'm realizing that I need to add loose extensions. I bought a cosworx heat resistent wig and can only find kanekalon extensions.

Am I better off buying a completely new wig from the same supplier as the extension for a matching colour?

Future Cosplays:
Princess Bubblegum-Adventure Time
The Flower Card-Cardcaptor Sakura
Rika Furude(school outfit)-Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni
Diamondinmyeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #594
PapouGirl
Evil Ex Waiting to Happen

I have a relaxed wig, and I need to curl it (not much, just curl the ends under and give it a slight wave). To do this, do I do the same technique as straightening, just with curlers in the wig? I know this sounds simple, but I wanted to ask before I messed anything up, and I didn't see any tutorials already posted.

Also, I plan on dying the wig the Katie Bair's wig dye. Should I dye it first and then curl it, or curl it first and then dye it, or does it not matter?
Unread 03-04-2011, 01:44 AM   #595
Dollsce
Dolce Dolls

@ Pixie of Death ;; I'm not sure if it will work, but I know that many cosplayers have recommended the got2b brand. They've got styling paste on their shelves too.

@ Diamond in my eye ;; It shouldn't matter since you're dying it, especially since they're both white. They should match, even if they're made from different kinds of fibers. I've never heard of one fiber reacting differently to dye than another fiber.

Future stuff:

Cos&Effect2011:

Miku Hatsune }Camellia{

Halloween2011
Allen Walker }Original{

Last edited by Dollsce : 03-04-2011 at 01:48 AM.
Dollsce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2011, 04:02 AM   #596
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

Quote:
I've never heard of one fiber reacting differently to dye than another fiber.
Actually, they do - wig dye tends to look more pale on heat-resistant fiber, compared to regular kanekalon. (The light is reflected differently, depending on the texture.) Plus, some fibers may not take the dye at all, so I suggest making a swatch test before you dye the whole wig / extension. You can then adjust the mix if needed - for example, dilute the dye for the regular fiber to make it look lighter, too.

(I've attached a swatch test I once did with Katie's dye on regular kanekalon and Dr. Locks' heat-resistant Shapeshifter fiber. Admittedly, it's hard to tell from the photo, but the dye did come out a nuance lighter on the Shapeshifter fiber.)

Quote:
Also, I plan on dying the wig the Katie Bair's wig dye. Should I dye it first and then curl it, or curl it first and then dye it, or does it not matter?
Don't use hot water on a dyed wig, it will wash out more of the dye than you want^^; Also, you don't want to dye a curly wig; it's harder to get an even coloring on curly or wavy fiber, and you'll ruin the curls anyway with all the brushing and blow drying, so it's probably not even worth the trouble.

I recommend dyeing the straight wig, then curling it with hairspray and a blow dryer, strand by strand. (Just make sure to set the hairspray immediately so it won't cause the dye to run.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swatch_test_shapeshifter.jpg (172.7 KB, 0 views)
Unread 03-05-2011, 03:55 AM   #597
_Kumi-chan_
Rumiko Takahashi fangirl

Okay, I've styled quite a few wigs, so I've got a good grasp on the basics. However, Ran Mouri's hair from Detective Conan has had me flummoxed for a while. Namely that horn-type thing on the top of her head. I'm not entirely sure I want to do something quite that pointy, but I'm not quite sure what a more realistic translation would look like or how I'd pull it off (not even really sure what it's supposed to be a stylized version of, honestly). Any suggestions?
Next up...
In Prog./Upcoming: Various groups/projects/upgrades Ranma 1/2
The Mirror Card Captor Sakura Rapunzel Tangled EVE WALL-E
Tenchi & Ryoko Tenchi Muyo! Parn & Deedlit Record of Lodoss War
_Kumi-chan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 12:07 AM   #598
clockwalk
Time won't wait for you.

Is it possible, at all, to spike a skin top wig?

I want to get this wig [click!] or this wig [click] but I don't know if I'll be able to spike them enough.

Help, please?

Last edited by clockwalk : 07-25-2011 at 12:30 AM.
clockwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 08:24 AM   #599
Alucardalina
Touhou Cosplayer

I feel I need to mention that there is a hair dye out there that washes out in two weeks. It's temporary, and doesn't use peroxide. Its straight out of the bottle and into your hair (Of course two weeks if you wash your hair at least every other day.)
I can't remember the name of it for the life of me, but you can buy it at all Sally Beauty Supply stores. However, as with most dyes, you sometimes don't get the right color and it looks pretty terrible as it fades.

Please like my Facebook cosplay page if you like my cosplays!
Alucardalina Cosplay

Con Updates!
Momocon 2013
Art Critic Rarity - MLP:FIM
Alucardalina Claire - Guild Wars 2
Eirin - Touhou
Alucardalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #600
Perrydotto
Agents are go!

I'm wondering how to put tiny curls into a wig. Nothing big, just more like natural nonwavy curls. I bought a straight, heatresistant wig for this purpose. Should I just go with hair curlers put into the wig, spraying them with some cheap hair spray and then blowdrying the crap out of them or is that wrong? I've never styled a wig before, just read things about doing it on the forums here. Please help me out before I ruin the wig by accident.