Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair > User-Submitted Wig FAQ's and Tutorial Threads

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 258 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-18-2008, 06:30 PM   #76
GreyCat
Always in the background

This topic has been more then useful.
However, I would like to ask the members who have the wiggy knowledge I crave, to share.

I need to have a wig slicked back into a low ponytail. I got everything worked out but I have no idea what products I should use to keep it slicked back. Right now, it is all poofy and in dire need of some styling product. I would need it to be firm and was wondering if I should use the Got2be freezing blast spray or the gel/wax. I don't want it to have a greasy look though.

Thanks to anyone that can help me or point me in the correct direction.

Getting my fursona created for me, and unsure of any cosplays I will be creating.

I make furry mascot costumes. Please email me at Gettinfluzzy.com and check out Gettinfluzzy.webs.com for more pictures and info!

Last edited by GreyCat : 03-18-2008 at 06:40 PM.
GreyCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-18-2008, 07:03 PM   #77
Ghost613
Your face is a Geostigma!

Well if you don't want greasy, stay away from the pomade wax. If you're going to use a got2b glued products, I'd say glue would be your friend here.
Ghost613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2008, 07:08 PM   #78
-Kitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost613 View Post
Well if you don't want greasy, stay away from the pomade wax. If you're going to use a got2b glued products, I'd say glue would be your friend here.
If you go with got2b glued stay away from the hair glue or use it VERY sparingly. When using it on spikes if you end up using too much it'll look along the same lines of if you used normal hair gel. Its also insanely hard to comb out soaking and washing.

The few occassions I had to use it I just took a pea sized amount and ran it between my fingers and tried to seal as many tips as possible. Then when it completely dried on my hands repeated the process. For say a Sora wig from Kingdom Hearts it should only need 2 or 3 pea sized amounts to seal everything.
Unread 03-18-2008, 07:17 PM   #79
GreyCat
Always in the background

Thank you both very much.

Are their any other products out there that would do a better job then Got2be? I was only using it as an example ^_^;

Getting my fursona created for me, and unsure of any cosplays I will be creating.

I make furry mascot costumes. Please email me at Gettinfluzzy.com and check out Gettinfluzzy.webs.com for more pictures and info!
GreyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2008, 07:17 PM   #80
lunaladyoflight
Glitter Addict

I was able to get Nanami back by firstly combing the fiber back from the front of the wig and blowdrying it from the front. That gave me a clean hairline. I didn't use any product on her other than wigspray, and she got a bit dishevled in the wig-suitcase on the trip to the con.

I'd recommend doing like you do with natural hair, wet it down just a tad with cool water, then use a hair gel with lots of hold to keep it in place. After it dries, give it a LOT of sprays of wig spray.

When my hair was short and I styled it a lot, I used a strong twisted gel. That was the name of it, twisted gel. I don't remember the company that made it but I bought it at my salon and it was $10 for a little bottle O.O Worls like a charm though. I still have a tiny bit left and it's still good (I haven't styled my hair like that since I was 15).

Just something to try.

Kitsu- added you on cosspace.
lunaladyoflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2008, 09:31 PM   #81
Dal_Segno
Who loves, raves.

Ok, question here:

I have an interesting wig issue with my hopeful Kazui costume. His hair is mainly brown...save those blond bangs. Now, I figure I'll just sew in the blond wefts and heat them forward a la Katie Bair, but I'm not too sure how I'm going to keep that much hair forward from that far back without a truck load of hair spray or bobby pins. [I don't want the bangs to feel like a board and have no natural movement, nor do I want the pins {even if they be blond colored} to really show, since I think it'll be distracting to both myself and any viewer.]

Suggestions?

Assassin: "Where are you going?"
Teal´c: "I am leaving. You are about to explode."

~~~~

FW Ink Wig Dye FAQ
Icon by: Silfar

Last edited by Dal_Segno : 03-18-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Dal_Segno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2008, 10:24 PM   #82
Ghost613

Bringing it forward and training it using hot water should remedy your problem (as you've already mentioned) and eliminate the need for hairspray if done right. Training the fiber is the way you prepare wigs for the cutting of normal bangs and it's how you change the part of a wig as well. When heated, plastic wig fiber becomes malable, and will generally stay in whatever shape it cools in. That's why hot water works.
Unread 03-20-2008, 01:50 AM   #83
narutofan195
spoon axel

I ordered a godiva wig, and i have quite a few questions:
1. Can I just use normal hair conditioner + hot water to straighten and detangle it?
2. Does a large foam ball work well/ok for a foam head replacement?

and i have an odd hair style that i am doing: lady black pearl

3.How might you suggest doing that low ponytail/braid/rats-nest at the base?
4.would elmers glue or got2b glued work for the volume and for the strands sticking out?
(i would be so greatful, thank you!! ^___^)
narutofan195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2008, 08:48 AM   #84
Lolita Minako
Cosmic Gemini Cosplayer

Don't use regular hair conditioner unless it is a real hair wig, they sell wig conditioner and shampoo at wig stores and beauty supply stores. ^__^

I have also seen successful uses of Elmer's with wigs, but I am not sure how it works over time (IE, sink caulk often flakes and looks dandruff-ish)
ACP|Cure #155513|CosplayLab|World Cosplay|Twitter|Tumblr

"Comments on style should not be made by those who have none." ~Emma Carew, Jekyll & Hyde: The Musical
Lolita Minako is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2008, 12:32 PM   #85
lunaladyoflight
Glitter Addict

There is no replacement for a wig head. You can find them at beauty supply stores and ethnic beauty supply stores usually between $1.99 and $4.99. GET ONE :P

I have one that I use for construction only, it's covered with pits and paint and caulk and smells like wig spray. Then I have clean ones for shipping and display.

~Luna
lunaladyoflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 11:41 PM   #86
narutofan195
spoon axel

YAY thank you!!! I got a wig head and it is very useful!! quick question, should I use normal sewing pins to hold the wig in place?

ps. the 'new look' godiva wig i got (in exactly 5 business days from cosworx) is freaking AMAZING!!! it is so realistic!!!!! and the really, REALLY creapy part.....it is my EXACT hair color!!!! (my actual hair color!!!!!(i dont dye it))
pps: if i use motions, how long will it be kind of slippery? if i wait a week, will it be less so? because the wig is naturally shiny (I just need to smooth it out to work with it) the strands for the wig are thinner than realistic hair so will it get affected at all?
Unread 03-23-2008, 10:21 AM   #87
Ghost613

1. I use T pins (named for their shape) that you can get in a craft store or wherever macrame supplies are sold besides a craft store. I wouldn't suggest the sewing pins with the teeny tiny heads, because they might be hard to find when you want to take the pin out, but the straight pins with the round plastic tops work great.
2. Yeah, it's amazing how realistic synthetic fiber looks! ^_^
3. The sheen spray will be slippery and oily until it dries (which may be anywhere from 1-3 days). Once it dries, it will not be as slippery, just easy to comb through. So yes, waiting will mean it will be less slippery. And sheen spray works its wonders on a great variety of synthetic fibers.
Unread 03-23-2008, 12:01 PM   #88
Cora
Shine Forever

RE: Got2b:Glued Hair glue:

As Kitsu said, use the glue sparingly, but the results are good. Certainly you don't want to construct a spike using only glue. Hair spray the chunk of fiber you want to shape, and then use a tiny bit on the ends.

Also, to get the glue out, use some hot water and shampoo (I've used regular shampoo for this, but children's shampoo is best if you can't get your hands on wig shampoo) and you'll have to soak it for a bit to get it all out. Of course this is harder to do when you mess up on just a couple of spikes, but I have successfully washed out and restyled more than one wig that had been full of hairspray and hair glue.

Last edited by Cora : 03-23-2008 at 12:04 PM.
Cora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2008, 02:58 PM   #89
narutofan195
spoon axel

Easy wig detangling::
1, put wig on wig head (here is my set-up)http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1.../wigset-up.jpg so that all of the hair is dangling (by the way, the pole is a $5 wooden handle that i am going to use for a hammer, but it works well none the less)
1.5, put towels around the area for earier clean-up
2, pin the wig to the head ^_^
3, use MOTIONS OIL SHEEN on the wig, start from the bottom parts and slowly go up, as so the sections, brush with wide tooth comb (NO WATER NEEDED!!!)
4, as the wig dries, every once and a while, brush the wig for faster drying (drip drying)
5, clean your work area with soap- it will be really slippery
6, dance the happy dance, it is that easy!!!!
MOTIONS HAIR OIL SHEEN AND MOTIONS LEAVE IN CONTIONER USED (found at walmart & walgreens[bartells{no}, fredmeyer{no}])
(btw, walgreens has normal colored ponytail extentions that can be used for filler (for those with a deadline (4 days!!!!))
-------------------------- note: WTF, my wig has, SPLIT-ENDS?!? 0.o!!?

Last edited by narutofan195 : 03-23-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Unread 03-24-2008, 05:15 PM   #90
Ghost613

Front page updated, adding Ani_Bee's LURVELY hair antenna tutorial!