Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Seeking Cosplayers

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-24-2007, 08:27 PM   #1
Gaku_X
All around dork-face

Trans/Intersex/Genderqueer Cosplayers

I`ve been thinking for while about organizing a group for cosplayers who identify as transgendered,transexual,genderqueer,androgynous,a nd intersexed.(As well as any other label you can think up)

The group would be a semi-loose structure and include members from all over.I though,in this way it could bring people together both in their respective areas and far away.

Suggestions?Comments?Criticism?Whatever you`ve got;thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg th_change.jpg (3.4 KB, 0 views)

Silent Hill Hybrid Nurse(For Haunt)
Angelique-Hellraiser(For Haunt)
Kirie Himuro-Fatal Frame
Gaku_X is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-25-2007, 06:28 PM   #2
RyoWolffe
Digital Strike Cosplay

coming from a gay guy, isnt that called Crossplaying?
RyoWolffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2007, 02:24 AM   #3
Queen Anime 99
Call me Queenie. :D

I would just like to say that I think this is a great idea. I had been thinking of starting a group like this.

RyoWolffe, this has nothing to do with crossplay or even cosplay. It has to do with gender and sex. Transgendered and intersexed people transcend our society's ideas about sex and gender. You can be a transgendered and/or or intersexed crossplayer, but just because you crossplay doesn't mean you are/consider yourself transgendered and/or intersexed.

Definitions:

Transgendered: Umbrella term for people who do not fit our society's gender/sex binary. This includes transsexuals, cross-dressers, genderqueers, androgynous people, etc.

Intersexed: People who have an ambiguous sex. This could be do to ambiguous genitalia, hormones, or an increase or lack of certain chromosomes (X, XXX, XYY, XXXY, etc.) You can be intersexed and transgendered, though.

Gender: What you identify as. Example: You can be biologically male but identify as female.

Sex: What's between your legs, to put it crudely. Example: Your sex could be male, but your gender female.

Anime Weekend Atlanta 2014
1. Will Graham (Hannibal) - Saturday
2. Will Graham (Hannibal) - Sunday

Last edited by Queen Anime 99 : 11-26-2007 at 02:35 AM.
Queen Anime 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2007, 01:00 AM   #4
Gaku_X
All around dork-face

Thanks your Highness.(Your SN)
I supposed perhaps someone might get confused with crossplaying.
It is a little funny trying to explain that you`re really not crossplaying when of an odd gender.Oh well...

I just thought about it while looking at the crossplay board;and a considerable amount more after going to a conand noticing a significant amount of crossplay going on.
I encountered more than a few 'crossplayers' who had unclear(sometimes on purpose)gender.

I`m glad to see someone else is interested.

Silent Hill Hybrid Nurse(For Haunt)
Angelique-Hellraiser(For Haunt)
Kirie Himuro-Fatal Frame
Gaku_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2008, 03:56 AM   #5
Sakurai_Atsushi
Yaoi Guy, in a girly body

I have a question...a little embarrassing, and something I've told few people, but, what would it be considered, if I'm a girl, but i've secretly wished that I had been born a guy, but I don't think i'd ever go as far as to get surgery, but that I think maybe I was supposed to have been born a guy....?
Aizenism :3?
Sakurai_Atsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2008, 12:18 PM   #6
Kuro Yue
Abandoned

You'll be transgendered, then.

I'm interested in this group. Not sure what to label myself as, since I consider myself one of those people who doesn't have a gender (and to make things more complicated, I'm uncomfortable with my current sex). But yeah. Interested.
Kuro Yue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2008, 04:41 PM   #7
Sakurai_Atsushi

wow...so...I guess I really am different after all...hmm..well, I'm interested in this group too.
Unread 03-27-2008, 08:32 PM   #8
ShizukaNamida
The Extremely Shy Ninja

I guess I'm transgendered too lol I'm in the same boat as Sakurai with the feeling like I should've been born a guy. But a few years ago I realized that I'm actually both. In my heart and soul I am a woman for the most part, but also a man. Stereo types tend to make people think that all women have to be "girly" and frail, and men strong, but that's not true. It's mearly a label created by society and people believe and are raised to be that way instead of being themselves. It hinders people from being who they are.

I think this group is a great way for people in this situation not to feel outcast or alienated and instead be able to talk to and share feelings with people just like them. Great job coming up with this idea Gaku. ^_^

Cosplays/Planned Cosplays:
~Shikamaru (shippuuden)
~Hinata (shippuuden)
~Riku (Organization XIII)
~Cloud (FF7AC/Crisis Core)
~Edward (FMA)
~Hiroki Kamijo (Junjo Romantica) (will need a Nowaki ;3)

-and many others-
ShizukaNamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2008, 12:58 PM   #9
Recowa
やぱり

I'm interested in this group. I'm androgynous if that count. :3

Costumes 2013-2014 Ohayocon , Matsuricon, Tekkoshocon,Colossalcon

Pan- Dragon Ball Z
Lolita
Gakupo
Ciel - Kuroshitsuji
Kosmos - Xenosaga Episode 1
Kitty-N Bust A Groove
Recowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2009, 02:07 PM   #10
dias_rebecca
Part-time Ninja

i don't know if this thread is still active but hey!

I can't put myself in any catagory of trans or intersex, i just know that my reflection in the mirror just isn't right somehow. When i became aware of crossplay, it was a way for me to express my "gender confusion" in a safe and playful way. I don't know where this journey will take me, but to all of us out there ... You are not alone!
Much love,
Rebecca
Unread 03-20-2009, 01:21 AM   #11
ChichuX

i'm so glad this thread was made =]

Though I am happy with my gender , I like to try being androgynous during my cosplay lol
ChichuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2009, 03:56 AM   #12
MissSCeleste

Gaku your very cool for starting up this thread.

I'm afraid my curves are too feminine to cover up that my sex is female. It makes it nearly impossible to look anything other then female in appearance. I think if I was capable of being more androgynous without it being extremely uncomfortable (binding with how large my chest is makes me feel as if I'm suffocating) then I would probably switch between male and female personas all the time. Although I probably can't take part in it I fully support this group as sometimes (silly enough as it may seem) I swear I was meant to be born a gay man and somehow accidentally ended up female.

I've had several relationships that have gone nowhere because I would just get bored with any of the guys that were interested in me that I'd give a try, and then the guys I liked have all been gay because I love when men wear make up, dress eccentrically, and can hold a good conversation with me. Unfortunately society currently dictates the stereo-type that only gay men like make up or fashion or chatting on the phone so I've been hard pressed to find a man who's straight but is also comfortable enough in his sexuality to enjoy "dressing up" in everyday life in a way that I'd find attractive.

So, starting this group I think is a very good thing. The world needs more people who think outside of the box. I for one would like to see more men who embrace some concepts that have always been stereo-typed as something that only women can or should do. For instance I think men look very attractive when they wax or shave, get manicures, wear make up, wear pretty jewelery, and wear high heeled boots.

The latest example I can think of for androgynous guys that are totally HOT that I'd like to see more of is Adam Lambert from American Idol. Before him I used Gackt as an example as well when I would try to explain to friends what sort of guys I found really attractive. It's kind of aggravating that society puts such limitations on whats acceptable for male and females because I know I'm not the only girl right now who thinks Adam is a TOTAL hottie. If word got around and more straight guys realized how attractive these things are to a lot of girls that they are taught not to do I think some of them might reconsider or not be afraid to do what they secretly want to do.

Last edited by MissSCeleste : 05-07-2009 at 02:56 AM.
Unread 04-07-2009, 07:16 PM   #13
Nexiz
Self Proclaimed

I like this forum. Very genius out of the box idea.
I am a gay girl, who feels like she should have abeen a boy. and it drives me insane, cosplay is just a way for me to express my want to be a boy, i would bind daily and what not but, I know how you feel missSCeleste! My curves happen to be dreadfully feminine and binding my breast and corsetting at the hips hurts, i have scars from the times i have done this for costuming.
Nexiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2009, 03:35 PM   #14
dias_rebecca
Part-time Ninja

So lets restart this thread!!
How has cosplay/crossplay helped you in your life in regards to being Trans/Intersex/Genderqueer/etc.?
any other topic suggestion?

I'll start!
Crossplay has given me a playful way to dress/act like a man. For example in a conversation with my mom...
Mom: "Are you a crossdresser?"
Me: "no its just crossplay!! *nervious laughter*"
Unread 04-09-2009, 11:30 PM   #15
Sakurai_Atsushi

Well, I know it's pointless, but if past life has any bearings, then I've found out I was an asian man in my past life, I figure that might have something to do with how I am now.

Also, I felt a little hurt, I was staying at my godparent's house, and they've expressed that gay people are just fine, but that she doesn't get how people can hate men, and want to dress like them and vice versa.

I've tried to explain to her that it's just a choice that people make, not everyone feels okay with being who they were made to be. and she came back with this thing that everyone who is gay has been sexually messed with.

I think it's wrong to make those assumptions and say those things.. It really hurt my feelings especially, because I am one of those types that dress like the opposite sex, and I do like girls just as much as I like guys, it's just how I am, and I can't help that.

I want to make them see that.

As far as cosplay, it's given me a little freedom to explore, and a safe place to be who I am, without people thinking I'm just a freak. Also, it's given me more of a bearing on the kind of 'man' I'm striving to be. I guess is the way I'm tempted to say it. I can't change that I'm physically a woman, but I can be comfortable in my body. I also tend to crossplay more than cosplay 'correct-gender' characters.