Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 11-25-2007, 03:29 PM   #1
Adamoluna

fuller lips, bigger eyes

what every girl wants, eh?

anyways, Iwas just wondering how to achieve this effect for my natural-looking cosplays - those which characters have a fuller lips and more obvious eyes.
I find lipliner is too easily detected, but then I may be applying it wrong. The eyes-thing, I heard you could use certain colours of eyeshadow which complement your own to draw attention to them...?
Adamoluna is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-25-2007, 04:07 PM   #2
Tigersoul

You should use a color that compliments your eye color (or contact-lens-color, as the case may be) you do not match your shadow to your chothes or hair, and try not to use a color that looks blatantly unnatural.

Also, to open up the eyes more, use a lighter liner and do NOT line in rim of the eye (betweent h eyeball and lashes) Also, if you use a liner darker than your skintone, do not line all the way into the corner; this closes it up and makes it look smaller (along with dark colors on the rim)

Do use long strokes of mascera, that helps to open the eye up more and make it look larger.

As for the lips, I think you're not using the right colors if it's quickly detected. Choose a liner shade that's only at MOST 3 shades darker than your lipstick. If this is going to be during broad daylight only got 1-2 shades darker. Be sure to blend it on the edge, too, you dont want it to be a solid, crisp difference, you want it to gradually go from one color to the next.

I'm afraid I cant suggest any colors since your not infront of me, but stick to colors that compliment your eye for shadow, and your lips shoudl compliment what you're wearing; not nessisarily your face.
Tigersoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2007, 01:16 PM   #3
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Don't just outline your lips with the lipliner - for really long-wearing lipstick and a more natural look, do the outline and then fill in the whole lip with the liner. Then apply lipstick, blot, powder and lipstick again. It'll last for hours!

As for a fuller effect, line slightly outside your natural lipline and stick to more natural colours as darker colours can make your lips look smaller. Gloss also helps to make lips look fuller.

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2007, 02:01 PM   #4
Adamoluna

wonderful feedback, thanks so much
Adamoluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 02:30 AM   #5
Crystori

I've also learned a trick for making your lips fuller- use a lighter color. (I usually dab it with a soft pink powder and then gloss over it) RIGHT in the fullest part of your lip. you only want it in the center where the "shine" usualy is and make SURE to gloss over it to blend it a little which the color around/under. I will try to have a tutorial eventuallt but until then.....

Anyhow I've found that this method works rather well and really enhances my lips in pictures where I want my cosplay to look pouty. heck I use it when I just want to have full lips in regular pictures. unfortunetly I have no recent pictures on my computer. *shrug*
good luck.
Crystori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 02:59 PM   #6
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

white eyeliner on the rims, precisely wear tigersoul said not to. the difference is that black on the rim will close up your eye. white has the totally opposite effect.

for the lips, you can do as sarcasm-hime suggested.
this video can help you. watch towards the end.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2009, 05:24 AM   #7
dorapoch

Like everyone said

Eyes - line the top of your eyes, stay away from the bottom...but use a white eyeliner on your waterline works like a charm
Whenever I use white, it makes my eyes look like dolls

Lips - You can use lip plumps (those may be pricy though), nude your lips with a nude lipstick or foundation and lip gloss works well. The last one is the cheapest method.
dorapoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
AoiTaku
Lil azn nerd

Oversized contacts, false lashes, and white eyeliner. i would take a compare pic but im to lazy now. believe those 3 tings make a BIG dif .O_O
AoiTaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 10:10 PM   #9
Apsara
all around bum..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3ImaaS2-MY

Shows the startling affect of how to wear false eyelashes to make tiny, slim eyes extremely big and bright. Rather creepy but you can modify this to make it look more natural simply by using a more natural looking pair of fake lashes instead of the bushy, caterpillar-effect these girls used. They also used circle lenses and wigs.

Seeking Cosplayer Post: Adekan and Five Star Stories for Aki-con on Oct. 7th - 9th, 2011
Apsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 10:33 PM   #10
Lithium Flower
Handphones

What I do for big ol' anime eyes:

I use a fleshy tone eyeshadow thats a few shades lighter than my natural skin color all over the lid and up to the brow bone. In the corner half of my eyes going in a bit I use shimmery white/champaign eyeshadow. In the crease a dark brown/rust with a darker deep brown in the corner. White eyeliner on the waterline (the part that touches your actual eye really) and on the OUTER corner too and blend that out.

Using black (for cosplay I like to make makeup darker even if it's 'natural' so you can use browns and plumbs whatever you want) eyeliner pencil I tightline my upper lashline and closely line it 'normally' and smudge that out with a q-tip. I line my bottom lashes about 3/4 in and smudge it out a bit as well. Depending on the cosplay/look I will take either gel liner,shadow, or continue the pencil line out into a 'wing' kinda style connecting the top and bottom liner.

I apply a very light coat of mascara then curl my lashes and apply the full coat. Top and bottom.

Since I have a serious aversion to glue and other sticky things on my skin (ha ha) I cannot bring myself to use fake lashes. But my eyes are not particularly small and I have a fairly good amount of dark eyelashes anyway.

I am pretty pleased with the fullness of my lips as is, but I've heard if you take lipliner and connect the points of your lips at the cupids bow with just a straight line, and fill the rest of your lips in then apply the gloss/lipstick/whatever that makes them fuller without actually drawing a big ol' fake line around your face.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 11:55 PM   #11
eraserewrite

I wish there was a tutorial on having smaller lips ~___~
eraserewrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 12:46 AM   #12
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

You can do the opposite thing of over lining your lips. Take some concealer on a brush and basically erase the perimeter of your lips (but for God's sake, do not take away the width).

Although, most people would probably be envious of your lips.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 01:19 AM   #13
eraserewrite

^Actually my avatar picture is a trick. I pout my lips sometimes to make them seem smaller. =___=;
I think many awesome, asian cosplayers have the "golden ratio", so the more normal a person looks, the more beautiful. Like, they can pretty much cosplay whoever they want to because their features are so normal.

My parents are always saying how they wish my lips were smaller. =__=;; A lot of times I wish so too. ;_;

I tried the concealer thing one day. It kind of looks like ..o_o; Lips on a very chapped/......Gaara's face breaking day. lol
eraserewrite is offline   Reply With Quote