Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Death Note

Unread 11-25-2007, 06:55 PM   #1
Kyo-sama8283
Raging Matt Fangirl

Matt (Death Note) Help...

Okay, so this is going to be my first cosplay. I'm really excited to do this! I have some questions that I can't answer, so I'm hoping someone else might be able to help me out.

1.) Where on earth can I find a striped shirt like that? I've looked all over the place! I found one on Ebay, but I don't know if it's the right kind.

2.)What kind of goggles should I use? I know in the anime his goggles have yellow lenses.

And 3.) What fabric have people used for his jacket thingy?

Sorry for all the questions! I'm really new at this and I'm in desperate need for some help!
Kyo-sama8283 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-25-2007, 07:25 PM   #2
Orihime-chan
Living how it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyo-sama8283 View Post
1.) Where on earth can I find a striped shirt like that? I've looked all over the place! I found one on Ebay, but I don't know if it's the right kind.
Hmmmmm E-bay is where my friend found his. Can you give a link to the pic? but the link can't be from ebay becuase those type of links aren't allowed. I already know what his shirt looks like but I need to know what the pic of the actual shirt that you're not sure if it's teh right kind or not.

Quote:
2.)What kind of goggles should I use? I know in the anime his goggles have yellow lenses.
Well it depends on where you live. We found some in China Town xD And sometimes you can find it on ebay or in a flea market.

Quote:
3.) What fabric have people used for his jacket thingy?
Hmmmm There's a lot of things you could use. But which part of it are you talking about? or are you talking about it all?

I hope I helped somewhat I'll keep checking back here for your response or more questions ^^
Fai D. Flourite-100% done!
Ouran Uniform for Honey-senpai- 54% ((curse me when I sold my ouran uniform >< But Honey shall live again for pictures! xD))
Org. XIII Roxas- 34%

My 2 favorite qoutes (from teachers xD):
"If at first you don't succeed, you FAIL"
"Don't second guess. If you didn't get it right the first time, what makes you think you'll get it right the second time?
Orihime-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2007, 07:36 PM   #3
HyperShadow
How 'bout a shave?

1. What you might want to do is to check some thrift stores. Believe it or not that's where I ended up finding mine. =3

2. I've seen other cosplayers go for both black and white frames. (I have black ones, but am planning to paint them silver) My suggestion would to either go for black or silver (regular solid white just looks strange in my opinion). The lenses of my goggles are amber, which is the closest I could get to orange. (The lenses on Matt's goggles are orange). These aren't the ones I have, but how about these?

3. I had my vest commissioned, but the material that was used was microsuade. But there's tons of possibilities. ^^

I hope that helped!

Sakuracon 2012:
Sweeney Todd
Angelica Teach - Pirates: OST

The Depp Squad: http://www.facebook.com/TheDeppSquad
HyperShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2007, 08:28 PM   #4
KatieElric-Chan
will eat your face.

I might be doing a Matt cosplay also :]

AMA Cosplays:
Yuuki Cross (Vampire Knight)
Pokemon [Gijinka] Meowth
(Possible!) PJ!Ukraine (Hetalia:Axis Powers)

KatieElric-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2007, 11:24 AM   #5
Kyo-sama8283
Raging Matt Fangirl

First off, I just want to say thanks! I'm just glad that people responded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orihime-chan View Post
Hmmmmm E-bay is where my friend found his. Can you give a link to the pic? but the link can't be from ebay becuase those type of links aren't allowed. I already know what his shirt looks like but I need to know what the pic of the actual shirt that you're not sure if it's teh right kind or not.
If I can't link to ebay then how can I show you the shirt? That's the only place I've seen one. Though, I saw someone suggesting Urban Behavior in a different thread.

Right now I'm staying with a few friends and they live in Michigan. It's a big change because I live in the city, and now I'm here, in this little town that has like 200 people tops. So, there's no china town around here.

The entire thing, I suppose. I was at JoAnn's the other day and I saw the fabric that Hyper Shadow said, microsuade. I just thought that it was very thin.

Hyper Shadow:

A thrift store, huh? Like the Salvation Army? 'Cause I think that's the only one I know of around here. I'll definitely go check it out!

Oh my gosh, those are the best goggles I've seen so far, thank you so much! Those were giving me such a hard time! If you really want to get orange, another Matt cosplayer said that she popped the lenses out and just put in a colored page divider.

Where did you get it commissioned at? How much was it? And would they be willing to do it again?
Unread 11-26-2007, 05:44 PM   #6
HyperShadow
How 'bout a shave?

Quote:
Hyper Shadow:

A thrift store, huh? Like the Salvation Army? 'Cause I think that's the only one I know of around here. I'll definitely go check it out!

Oh my gosh, those are the best goggles I've seen so far, thank you so much! Those were giving me such a hard time! If you really want to get orange, another Matt cosplayer said that she popped the lenses out and just put in a colored page divider.

Where did you get it commissioned at? How much was it? And would they be willing to do it again?
Yeah, try there! =3 You might just find something you're looking for, and at a cheap price!

You're welcome! I'm glad I could help. Thank you for the idea! I've never thought of that. o.o

I had it commissioned by someone on the forum who goes by Brittany Bunny. =3 It cost $150 to commission. Try messaging her to see if she'lll be willing to make another one.

Sakuracon 2012:
Sweeney Todd

Unread 11-26-2007, 08:19 PM   #7
Orihime-chan
Living how it is

Quote:
First off, I just want to say thanks! I'm just glad that people responded.

If I can't link to ebay then how can I show you the shirt? That's the only place I've seen one. Though, I saw someone suggesting Urban Behavior in a different thread.
lol Sorry I guess i should have explained that. just save the pic into your pictures. Go to photobucket. Get an account if you don't already have one, and upload the pic there. Then you can give us the link to the pic. ^^
Fai D. Flourite-100% done!
Ouran Uniform for Honey-senpai- 54% ((curse me when I sold my ouran uniform >< But Honey shall live again for pictures! xD))
Org. XIII Roxas- 34%

My 2 favorite qoutes (from teachers xD):
"If at first you don't succeed, you FAIL"
"Don't second guess. If you didn't get it right the first time, what makes you think you'll get it right the second time?
Orihime-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2007, 09:01 PM   #8
May_Flower14

Matt is my 1st cosplay too!
I got these goggles (the silver ones)
http://forums.cosplay.com/attachment...d=11961321 68
gg-3221.jpg
Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gg-3221.jpg (52.4 KB, 0 views)
May_Flower14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2007, 09:23 PM   #9
Kyo-sama8283
Raging Matt Fangirl

Ah! Dang it, the one shirt that I found on ebay isn't there anymore. Looks like I waited too long. I'll do what Hyper Shadow said and go check out the Salvation Army, see if I can find something that'll work, if not I'll go to the closest Urban Behavior store and see if they have any more in stock. Wait---I found a shirt that I may have to get. Here, I'll link it.http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...ent=5c2e_1.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperShadow View Post

You're welcome! I'm glad I could help. Thank you for the idea! I've never thought of that. o.o

I had it commissioned by someone on the forum who goes by Brittany Bunny. =3 It cost $150 to commission. Try messaging her to see if she'lll be willing to make another one.
Yeah, I would have never thought of that either! I may try it out if I can't find the right color for the lenses.

'Kay, I'll check this Brittany Bunny girl out, and I'll ask if it would be possible for her to make another one. Cosplay does not come cheap, does it? Sheesh, and here I thought I would take up a nice, fairly cheap, easy hobby.

Last edited by Michi : 11-27-2007 at 09:33 AM. Reason: merging a double post
Unread 11-26-2007, 10:51 PM   #10
HyperShadow
How 'bout a shave?

That shirt you linked to is perfect! I say go for it.

Cheap, easy, and cosplay don't belong in the same sentence. You poor delusional individual, you. D:

Sakuracon 2012:
Sweeney Todd

Unread 11-27-2007, 04:08 AM   #11
Kyo-sama8283
Raging Matt Fangirl

Yay! I did something good! I shall go back to ebay and bid on it!

Yeah, I should have figured that...I don't know what I was thinking.
Unread 11-27-2007, 06:24 PM   #12
KatieElric-Chan
will eat your face.

Im sorry, but I have a Matt question as well!
How do people sew the lines onto the pants?
Would it be okay if I didnt do that?
(I dont have the money to buy nice jeans right now.)

AMA Cosplays:
Yuuki Cross (Vampire Knight)
Pokemon [Gijinka] Meowth
(Possible!) PJ!Ukraine (Hetalia:Axis Powers)

KatieElric-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2007, 06:46 PM   #13
Kyo-sama8283
Raging Matt Fangirl

If you really don't have the money, I'm sure people won't care if you just draw on the lines. What I'm going to do is pinch up parts of my jeans and sew them. I normally buy jeans that are too big anyways, so it give me more room to alter things.

Cons attending: Anime Central '08, Youmacon '08, Ohayocon '09, Anime Central '09
Unread 11-27-2007, 06:58 PM   #14
Koi
Promiscuous Boy

1.) I got mine at H&M. Also (if you have one in your city/town) try goth style specialty stores. Those might be a bit more pricey though.

2.)I used biker goggles (since Matt IS a biker) which had an almost identicle design. If you're looking for something cheaper, maybe orange tinted swimmers goggles?

And 3.) I used lined beige suede. Kind of pricey, though..
Unread 11-27-2007, 07:22 PM   #15
Kyo-sama8283
Raging Matt Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koi View Post
And 3.) I used lined beige suede. Kind of pricey, though..
I'm planning on using micro suede in a beige color. The only problem I had with it is that is was really thin, so I'm trying to find a way to counter that.

Cons attending: Anime Central '08, Youmacon '08, Ohayocon '09, Anime Central '09