Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 11-27-2007, 05:12 PM   #1
Shiyuki_kun
Next GTO here! Fear me!!

Cosplay wedding?

has any one ever thought about having a cosplay wedding i think it would be cool. I want to know what other people would think. If you did how would you want to set it up? i would have a ninja wedding not Naruto well maybe
Otakon.
NYCC

Cosplay:
Kirito (SAO).
Hibari Kyoya (Hitman Reborn).
Terry Bogard (SNK)
Random Jounin (Naruto)
Shiyuki_kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-27-2007, 05:25 PM   #2
daoutlaw
Emergency! Dekaranger!

I'm gonna quote Dr. Evil here :
'HOW ABOUT NO!'

It depends on couple and the attendees but let's be honest. Do you want your parents to see you walk down the isle dressed up like road construction worker ninja?
Unread 11-27-2007, 05:45 PM   #3
SailorKagome
NERDRAGE!

Somehow, I'm occasionally able to hold back the urge to cosplay.

It's a wedding, not Halloween. It's supposed to be YOUR wedding, not Yuna's or Sasuke's. Do you really want to show your children how you pretended to be a cartoon character for your wedding?

I can see proposing in cosplay (been done, video somewhere), but not much more than that.

Sailor Cosmos
Meg (BakuTen)
Yoko (default - Gurren Lagann)
TJ Sakura (Naruto)
Utena (Movie Version)

Myspace - Cosspace

Last edited by SailorKagome : 11-27-2007 at 05:50 PM.
SailorKagome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2007, 05:52 PM   #4
NekoMimiChan
*Bri*

I don't think it would be a very good idea...because its about two people coming together as individuals not as characters.

now a cosplay bachlorette party, I could go for that.

Future Costumes
Carmilla - Vampire Hunter D
Haydee - Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
Barioth Blademaster - Monster Hunter
Lulu- FFX
Gwendolyn - Odin Sphere

For Prop Commissions visit my store, DistinctiveProps, on etsy.
NekoMimiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2007, 05:54 PM   #5
SailorKagome
NERDRAGE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoMimiChan View Post
I don't think it would be a very good idea...because its about two people coming together as individuals not as characters.

now a cosplay bachlorette party, I could go for that.
That might actually be kind of awesome. I can has stripper Sasuke plz?

Sailor Cosmos
Meg (BakuTen)
Yoko (default - Gurren Lagann)
TJ Sakura (Naruto)
Utena (Movie Version)

Myspace - Cosspace
SailorKagome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2007, 05:56 PM   #6
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

There have been numerous threads on cosplay weddings, so in before lock, I guess.

I enjoy cosplay and plan to involve my children in it up until the point they're old enough to decide they hate it and me, but I would never dream of getting married dressed as Wedding!Sailor Moon or what have you. If your dream gown happens to come from an anime, or it's based on a design you saw in a manga, fine. That's okay. If your dream wedding is a reproduction of the one you saw in such-and-such anime... perhaps you are not mature enough yet to be getting married.

But theming a whole wedding around cosplay is extremely tacky. There are a lot of tacky things people do at their weddings, I'm sorry to say. If it's a big part of you and your intended's life then it's nice to incorporate it into your Big Day, but remember that your family and friends may not be as into it as you are. Since your friends and family, for better or worse, are a huge part of the Big Day and you're the host, it's gracious to take their feelings into consideration. For example, my fiance and I really love wolves and foxes so we ordered chocolates shaped like wolves and foxes as favors, and are contributing to a wildlife charity. We're not dressing up as a wolf and a fox, is the point I'm trying to make. There are plenty of ways to give a nod to important aspects of your life without being too over-the-top. I like it when people remember that a wedding ceremony is a spiritual affair and one of the most important days of your life. It's okay to be a little tongue-in-cheek, but dressing up like your favorite cartoon characters seems to be a little insulting to the importance of the event.

--Penny
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2007, 06:55 PM   #7
livengood
Jojofags-r-us

I can imagine perhaps, having a pre-wedding cosplay party, but not the actually wedding. Especially considering like many people on here, not all of their family is into the cosplay. It'd be kind of isolating the attendants who don't know squat about cosplay. I can see doing a "theme" you know, like a masquerade ball type wedding where everybody wears fancy masks. But not a cosplay wedding.
AC Paradise Deviantart
livengood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2007, 06:59 PM   #8
Envel
I'm a little teapot!

For a fun thing, yeah, but for the ACTUAL wedding, heck no.

There was a cosplay wedding at Adventure con this year, but I'm fairly certain it was only a con thing, and that they had a real wedding in regular attire.

Though I don't know why in hell you'd want to do a cosplay wedding at a con full of people you don't even know.
Envel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2007, 07:09 PM   #9
Lothlin

I think a wedding is as much for the family as it is for the bride and groom. That said, would your parents be pleased on having to do a cosplay wedding? Likely not.

I've got slightly odd plans for my wedding, assuming I ever manage to snag a boyfriend, let alone a fiancee for my wedding, but they're things that would add my sense of style to the party while still keeping within traditional bounds. Making my dress, putting the groomsmen in pinstripes (XD), lots of roses... but nothing that would scare the living daylights out of my grandparents XD
Lothlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2007, 07:27 PM   #10
Ovan

I think there was a couple who had a Gundam Seed theme wedding at the Sheraton hotel which is right next door to AWA. The couple cosplay as Lacus Clyne and Kira Yamato also two of the bridesmaid were Cagalli Yula and Meer Campbell. In opinion it didn't seem too tackle due to fact they didn't full cosplay as the character they mostly just style there hair as to the character. The funnest thing about the wedding I seen there was a Zaka in some of the pictures.
Ovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2007, 07:55 PM   #11
Rinoa07
Anemic Royalty

To play devil's advocate, I don't see anything wrong with a cosplay wedding. I've heard about people having weddings on ships, dressed as pirates, and having a sword fight over the bride. I'm even planning my own wedding right now with a FF8 theme. My fiance and groomsmen are going to be dressed in SeeD unifroms (the grooms is going to be white), and i'm designing my dress and the bridesmaids dresses as well. Naturally there are going to be elements from the character designs and the colours are black, white, and light blue. But if anyone who doesn't know what's what comes to the wedding (and I assure you, there will be plenty), there won't be any odd looks, except for perhaps at the uniforms.

While it's nice to take the guests opinions into consideration, it's ultimately the bride and groom's day and if they are the theatrical type (as i and my fiance certainly are) then the guest's need to respect that. And yes, a wedding is a very special, spiritual occasion, but has anyone noticed the theatrics that go into a wedding? the dress, the flowers, doves or butterflies, bubbles during a couple's first dance, it goes on and on, so why not, if the couple chooses it fit, can't they cosplay or even have a sword fight? It would certainly make things more intersting.
Unread 11-27-2007, 07:59 PM   #12
Cadmium Polyphony
Hiro Protagonist

If you think a cosplay wedding is a good idea, then you probably arent ready for marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinoa07
I don't see anything wrong with a cosplay wedding.
Give it a few years; you will.

Quote:
I've heard about people having weddings...dressed as pirates, and having a sword fight over the bride.
What's fun for some people, is stupid for most.

Quote:
I'm even planning my own wedding right now with a FF8 theme. My fiance and groomsmen are going to be dressed in SeeD unifroms (the grooms is going to be white)...
Case in point.
Cadmium Polyphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2007, 08:03 PM   #13
ningyobaka

first off i must say a wedding is for the bride for the most part it's her big day. and for the groom. his big day to, but bride is in charge.

second off if you want to see a cosplay wedding, i'll have vid after ohayocon '09. i'm my freinds guest to his freinds wedding. it's gonna be at ohaycon '09 and will be bueaty and the beast. brides choice. groom was excited to say the least.

but overal i think it goes up there with the sailor moon wedding, and the star wars ones and ren faire ones. whatever floats you boat and makes the bride and groom happy. it's their one big day, you only have one wedding day (we hope :P) so make it enjoyable and as memoriable as you want it. others, (to me this includes family) opinions on it shouldn't matter, cause it's your day. also your family should be supportive and happy for you no watter what you choose. whether it be to walk into the court house or to have an over the top ff7 wedding. or whatever. but that's just me.
ningyobaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2007, 08:05 PM   #14
ningyobaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinoa07 View Post
chooses it fit, can't they cosplay or even have a sword fight? It would certainly make things more intersting.
i'm sorry i missed this at first. my freind had a sword fight at her renfaire type wedding. two guys had a sword fight for the grooms love.
ningyobaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2007, 08:05 PM   #15
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Rinoa07, your family must be a lot more understanding than most. I've been planning a wedding for over a year and, like many peers of mine who are getting married or who have gotten married recently, the amount of input people feel they need to give on how your wedding should be is unbelievable. I have made many, many compromises to keep the families and my fiance happy, and I know he's done the same.

Compromise is a gigantic part of marriage. Wedding planning is one of the first instances where that becomes really, really apparent. If you're unwilling to accomodate others to some extent to keep things running smoothly now, how are you going to fare later on?

And, like I said earlier, there are a lot of tacky things people do at their weddings. Cosplay is only a small portion of it.

--Penny
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote