Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #151
katdawg14
Kat

First of all, you should know that those pictures are photoshopped. No one has skin like that in real life.
However, if you want to use makeup to get ALMOST flawless skin do this:

1) ALWAYS start with a moisturizer. It sets foundation, makes makeup have a better finish, and makes it last longer.
2) If you have any blemsihes, use a green cover stick. It masks redness.
3) Next, apply a liquid/cream foundation with a brush or sponge. Make sure it matches your skin tone exactly, or else it will look like you are wearing an orange mask. Also, blend it down a little past your jaw bone so you don't have a line.
4) Apply concealer over any blemishes to hide them completely (if you have any!)
5) Finally, apply a powder to set the makeup and get rid of shine. I recomend a mineral powder because it has the best coverage.

You can add bluch or bronzer after to get a little colour!

Unread 05-02-2009, 10:17 AM   #152
katdawg14
Kat

Never Use Exfoliator More Than Once A Week!
Unread 05-06-2009, 01:03 PM   #153
PandaPuff

Ok so I use Aveeno facial scrubs almost everyday. Does that mean it's bad that I use it constantly?
PandaPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2009, 08:02 PM   #154
FallenInnocence
KIRABOSHI★

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaPuff View Post
Ok so I use Aveeno facial scrubs almost everyday. Does that mean it's bad that I use it constantly?
Now, I wouldn't exactly say that. Most of the stuff off the shelves are quite tame in comparison to the stuff at the spa. However, if you are still going to try and exfoliate everday or almost, best to go with a gentle facial scrub.

I tend to use Clean and Clear's gentle facial scrub (I think the Morning Burst one) once every other day or once every 3 days and there isn't really much of a problem for me. Though, I don't do it excessively.

Still, best not to exfoliate your face everyday. Like I mentioned before in a comment above, it can irritate the skin and make things worse since the body sheds a new layer of skin naturally every 28 days or so.

Everyone's skin is different though. Some people can get away with using a facial scrub everyday and nothing is wrong while others have to lay it off for a few days. If you found that doing it everyday has not affected your skin negatively, stick with your regular routine.
FallenInnocence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2009, 04:28 PM   #155
ShikaChu

Ooh! I like this thread!

The lady who does my acne facials (which I suggest if you have bad blackheads or acne, but they HURT!) says to keep your hair off of your face while you sleep (get like a jogging headband and a bew bobby pins) and to keep your pillow cases clean. I wash my face everyday with Cetaphil cleansers and use a bit of the lotion. Cetaphil is real mild so it wont irritate.

If you do cover up and your acne is starting to heel, don't pick at it. Dap a bit of moisterizer on it and wait a minute, then rub it in.
Basically, if you do have acne, do not pop your zits. If you have whiteheads, wet the edge of a washcloth with hot (not scolding but pretty hot) water and hold it over it. Wait then gently exfoliate. Adding a bit of pressure can also reduce redness.

My problem with foundation, other than that I hate it, is that they do not make my shade. I'm nearly albino. XD
Speaking of which, don't tan your face. You'll regret it in the long run and it makes you look all blotchy. They make bronzer for a reason.
On the topic of foundation, I prefer tinted moisterizer. They make lighter shades and, accompanied with powder and a good concealer, it can be just as good on coverage. Downside is, you'd have to reapply it a bit more often.

Uh... I can't think of much else.
I've read a lot of make-up books, all with a section on skin care. XD

Oh! Diet. Yeah, eating healthy kind of sucks, but fruit and water love your skin. Basically anything high in Vitamin A.
Well. This is awkward.
ShikaChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2009, 05:53 AM   #156
Animeharumi

Smile

I think you shouldnt use makeup, its not really good, when its too heavy ppl could notice it easily, and it can get all over ur costume D: I think you should wash your face everyday and night, drink water, and the rest just depends on ur skin type. Like if you have really dry skin you could use products like scrubs from apricot, if you have oily skin maybe clean and clear, combination skin i think you should use Shiesco (not even sure if i spelt that rite =~=) and if u just have acne use clearasel or proactive o.o Anyway good luck
Animeharumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2009, 09:18 AM   #157
Kei-Kei

Concealer, Liquid make-up.

There are several tutorials on youtube.
Kei-Kei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2009, 11:42 PM   #158
Arsenic-S
OM NOM NOM NOM. D<

While makeup can only do so much, it IS a big part in *most* cosplayer's "flawless skin" look. (Sure, some people have perfect skin... But most people don't!) It won't completely hide a gargantuan pimple - but it can exceptionally hide mild acne if used correctly.

This video was *great* help to me when I was wondering this same thing just a little while ago. While I don't have any pictures up yet using these techniques, I have been using them for special occasions and they really do wonders for my average mild-acne-red-blotch-splattered face. > u>

_________

CONVENTIONS 2010
A-KON // June 4-6, Dallas || AFW6 // June 9-11, Wichita, KS || ANIME OVERLOAD // Aug 6-8, Austin || ANIMEFEST // Sept 3-6, Dallas || REALMS CON // Oct 1-3, Corpus Christi
Arsenic-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2009, 02:13 AM   #159
jounink
Holla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animeharumi View Post
I think you shouldnt use makeup, its not really good, when its too heavy ppl could notice it easily, and it can get all over ur costume D: I think you should wash your face everyday and night, drink water, and the rest just depends on ur skin type. Like if you have really dry skin you could use products like scrubs from apricot, if you have oily skin maybe clean and clear, combination skin i think you should use Shiesco (not even sure if i spelt that rite =~=) and if u just have acne use clearasel or proactive o.o Anyway good luck
I agree 100%
jounink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2009, 12:18 PM   #160
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by jounink View Post
I agree 100%
Then I assume you don't use deodorant either? The Aluminum in deodorants has played a contribution to a rise in breast cancer, aluminum chlorohydrate or aluminum zirconium are easily absorbed into the skin..especially after a fresh shave when most women apply deodorant. And about 99% of all drug store deodorants have either aluminum chlorohydrate or aluminum zirconium or both, you would have to find an organic deodorant substitute if you wanted to be 'entirely safe'. But I am sure you don't suggest people not wear deodorant to a convention.

Organic (or at least less chemically) make up treatments are available online or at stores like Whole Foods, and the aforementioned facial cleansers can be just as harsh for the skin as dotting on some concealer.

So saying "make up is bad for you!" is all well and good as long as your not going to wear any of the deodorant in your supermarket isle, or shampoos, and facial cleansers without it being 100% natural.

There are also 'organic' methods to cleanse the skin, as silly as it sounds I've even tried a tomato scrub...literally scrubbing your face with a tomato dipped in sugar...yes it worked.

I find that Youtube User Michelle Phan has quite a few good "at home" skin care methods and provides helpful information on them in her videos.
(Sorry if this has been posted here I haven't seen it yet)
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...BCE3A4DD5E014A

A good playlist for people who would rather use a more natural substitute, or like me, have very sensitive skin.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2009, 10:08 PM   #161
Cora
Shine Forever

My quick two cents is to rave about mineral makeup, specifically Bare Minerals. I realize that this is probably more expensive than many cosplayers are willing to pay, but I use this makeup for everyday wear. It's much faster to put on and blends better than any liquid makeup I ever used. It is also very lightweight and you don't look like you're wearing a pound of makeup. The foundation can be used as a concealer if you use the maximum coverage brush and I hardly ever have a problem covering up redness or darkness. *sounds like an infomercial, whut*

I've used this makeup for the last couple of years, since then I have been always satisfied with the way my complexion looks in my photos.

For under-eyes, Smashbox makes an excellent under-eye concealer stick. It's practically magic.

The mineral makeup has fewer ingredients, so your skin isn't trying to absorb a lot of chemicals and oils which can make breakouts worse.

As for face wash, it really depends on your skin, and sometimes it takes some finangling with different kinds to figure out what works best. Sometimes I found that I have to change the type of face wash every so often because my skin gets used to it.

Admittedly, the best thing for facial acne for me in the last year has been birth control, but that's something you should talk to your doctor about.
Cora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2009, 07:47 PM   #162
xstrawberrymilk
Still Doll

Wow.. I didn't know that o__o;;
Helpful hint of the day XD
`/l、
(゚、 。 7
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_,)ノ
xstrawberrymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2009, 07:48 PM   #163
xstrawberrymilk
Still Doll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Then I assume you don't use deodorant either? The Aluminum in deodorants has played a contribution to a rise in breast cancer, aluminum chlorohydrate or aluminum zirconium are easily absorbed into the skin..especially after a fresh shave when most women apply deodorant. And about 99% of all drug store deodorants have either aluminum chlorohydrate or aluminum zirconium or both, you would have to find an organic deodorant substitute if you wanted to be 'entirely safe'. But I am sure you don't suggest people not wear deodorant to a convention.

Organic (or at least less chemically) make up treatments are available online or at stores like Whole Foods, and the aforementioned facial cleansers can be just as harsh for the skin as dotting on some concealer.

So saying "make up is bad for you!" is all well and good as long as your not going to wear any of the deodorant in your supermarket isle, or shampoos, and facial cleansers without it being 100% natural.

There are also 'organic' methods to cleanse the skin, as silly as it sounds I've even tried a tomato scrub...literally scrubbing your face with a tomato dipped in sugar...yes it worked.

I find that Youtube User Michelle Phan has quite a few good "at home" skin care methods and provides helpful information on them in her videos.
(Sorry if this has been posted here I haven't seen it yet)
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...BCE3A4DD5E014A

A good playlist for people who would rather use a more natural substitute, or like me, have very sensitive skin.
Wow.. I didn't know that o__o;;
Helpful hint of the day XD
`/l、
(゚、 。 7
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_,)ノ
xstrawberrymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2009, 01:41 PM   #164
green_with_Envy
THE Yunabug

Has anyone tried the Proactiv make-up? I just got my Proactiv medication, and in the booklet it has several types of make-up.

Has anyone had good luck with this? Like, does it provide good coverage?
green_with_Envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2009, 10:43 PM   #165
Alorelle
Natsu ★ Game

I don't know if anyone mentioned this already, but I personally use acne medicine that I get from my family doctor.

I used to have horrible skin back a couple years ago, but ever since I've started using the acne medicine, menicycline (sp?), my face as been perfectly clear. C: Once I combined it with birth control, I found it started to work even better. :D
It's a pill you take twice a day, either one in the morning or once at night. Personally, I take two before I go to bed and I find the results don't differ.

UHMM, I don't know how expensive it is. All my medicine is covered by my moms work but usually a bottle of the pills last you a month.

I've never had a problem with it and I've been using it for about five years now?
I highly recommend it to everyone. ;D

MTAC :: Ino :: ???
Alorelle is offline   Reply With Quote