Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 12-03-2007, 11:13 AM   #1
paper cosplay
going 2D in a 3D artform

simple & cheap cosplay for fun

looking thou the site there are a lot of talented people here who put a lot of time effort and money into there costumes and they look amazing. they compete do it for the accuracy and a number of other reasons.

I just want to know how many cosplayer out there our like me. you cosplay simple and cheap, you do it for fun alone.

I will admit all my paper costumes have been done the week if not the night before a convention. Not really proud of that just plan it out and keep putting off construction
paper cosplay is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-03-2007, 11:13 PM   #2
edo_oniichan
Masquerade Lover

I'm guilty of being a cheap cosplayer. My first few costumes were so incredibly...cheap!

For my first costume, Edward Elric, I pretty much just took a pair of black pants, my Ugg boots, a black tank top, and pulled over a red coat and braided my hair. XD Nothing fancy there.

Over the summer, for Anime Expo, I added an auto-mail arm and leg. Which only costed about...30 bucks, for foam and hot glue gun and refills. XD

Right now, for my Yasako costume, I went to the mall and found a cheap skirt and shirt, dug out my old glasses, borrowed my friend's round bag, and found some ribbon at home. I refuse to buy wigs. XD

I'm super cheap. I have no money and no sewing skills, but I manage to pull things off. I've gotten a lot more into cosplay since last year so I spend more money and more time on it, especially on props.

Oh, what do you mean by "Paper Costumes"? ^^;
Staff Member, Panel Participant, Ribbon Giver

Cosplays In Progress
Hachikuji Mayoi (Bakemonogatari) : Wig (68%)
Rakka (Haibane Renmei) : Planned for AX2010
edo_oniichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2007, 03:03 AM   #3
SakuraAngel
Manga Princess

My cosplays always turn out to be more expensive than I thought they were going to be, however, I do mainly cosplay for fun and the love the the character/series that character is from. Wigs are ALWAYS the most expensive part of an outfit for me. Everything else just falls into place.

Cosplaying to compete is also good, I mean, it depends how competative you are.

Attending...
Kitacon III

Cosplaying...
[font="Garamond"]Severus Snape - Harry Potter Marauders Era
Quistis Trepe - Final Fantasy VIII
Usui Pirika - Shaman King
SakuraAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2007, 04:30 AM   #4
Cat-Chans
Glaceon, I choose you!

Even if I spend a lot of time, effort, and money on some of my costumes I am still doing it to have fun.

I enjoy the process of creating the costume as much as I enjoy wearing it.
Unread 12-04-2007, 06:37 AM   #5
Andrea
Stupid Sexy Kotetsu

I've had a lot of fun with cheap and easy. Especially since I was without steady income for seven years - even on the occasion that I was getting paid, I didn't feel comfortable spending more than $20 on a silly costume.

Now that I do have a full-time job, I'm enjoying being able to spend money on interesting and expensive things and getting into the craftsmanship stuff instead of just "making do", because I don't HAVE to do cheap and easy anymore. But it's still fun to do sometimes regardless.
Unread 12-04-2007, 11:17 AM   #6
Miss_Mikado

That's pretty much all I ever do for cosplay.
I look through my closet of clothes and put some parts together.
The first time I did my time-line Sasuke - Naruto, my friend thought I sowed the whole outfit. Honestly, I had the white shirt from my Bleach outfit and black workout caprees and tights to go with it. The cloth he wears was from Wal-mart..and cost me $1.50 for 2 1/2 or 3 yards of it...and the rope was I think a $1 a yard. Lol I spent less money in putting stuff together. And if I needed some kind of clothing, I go to whatever store that has a clearance.

Nothing wrong with doing simple and cheap cosplay. If you can't sow (like me cause I don't know how), then this is the best method.

Making your time worth spending at cons = priceless
-----------------------------
2014 Cosplays
Vella - Broken Age
Roar Dancer - Just Dance 2014
Hange Zoe - Attack on Titan

======================
Cosplay attempts:
Sasuke = Naruto
Naomi = Death Note

Zoey and Rochelle = Left 4 Dead (1 and 2)
Martha Jones = Doctor Who
Chell = Portal 2
Miss_Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2007, 04:14 PM   #7
Midoriko
Death also comes in pink!

I am certainly guilty of being cheap! I go to the Wal-Mart $1 per yard bin, and I even found a place who sells fabric really cheaply by the pound!!! I have hardly any money, so I spend little to no money so that when the con comes around, I have something to buy with! :3

Coming Soon
Mew IchigoTokyo Mew Mew 100% Complete
Zombie Aeris Final Fantasy VII 100% Complete
Midoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2007, 04:34 PM   #8
*Shiva*
RED SOX FTW <3

Sometimes you can be both accurate AND cheap if you pick the right costume. I made Julia Heartilly for $20 and Ellone Loire for about $30 if you don't count the wig . . .

I wish more of my cosplay choices were that inexpensive. . .>_<

2014 EVENTS: Katsucon, Anime Boston, PortCon Maine, Dragon*Con
*Shiva* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2007, 08:18 PM   #9
Queen Anime 99
Call me Queenie. :D

Because I basically can't sew, most of my costumes are cheap and simple. However, I did unique versions of popular characters (Disney Princess Kairi and Pirate Sora) a few times. However, even when I'm doing a REALLY simple character (Ed from Cowboy Bebop, for example), I try to make it as accurate as I possibly can. When I learn how to sew, I can make even more creative outfits. I'm glad you started this thread. Now I don't feel so alone.

Anime Weekend Atlanta 2013
Will Graham (Hannibal) - Saturday & Sunday

MomoCon 2014
1. Generic Ninja - Saturday
2. Will Graham (Hannibal) - Sunday
Queen Anime 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2007, 08:31 PM   #10
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

I'm with Cat-Chan. Why does everybody think that putting effort and money into a costume means we're not in it for fun or doing it for the fun of it?? I'm having LOADS of fun! I just happen to want to look as good as possible too.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2007, 09:29 PM   #11
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

I have loads of fun too. I don't get feeling sick about costumes until it's a week until the con and I still have a ton of work to do ^^

Remaking Season 3 Azula.

Done/Working On/Pattern/Not started

Pants Tunic Dickie Surcoat Armor Boots Belt Wig
Check out my new facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/kesracosplay
Kesra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2007, 11:48 PM   #12
paper cosplay
going 2D in a 3D artform

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp View Post
I'm with Cat-Chan. Why does everybody think that putting effort and money into a costume means we're not in it for fun or doing it for the fun of it?? I'm having LOADS of fun! I just happen to want to look as good as possible too.
just to be clear I never meant to imply that by putting money and effort into a costume you weren't doing it for fun. sorry if that what you thought I ment by this topic. None of us would cosplay if it wasn't fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Anime 99 View Post
I'm glad you started this thread. Now I don't feel so alone.
thank you queen anime 99 thats the reason I started the thread to find others like me. there are so many great cosplayers on this site that I personaly know I will never hold a cannedle too but I enjoy and have fun with the cosplay I can do.

Last edited by paper cosplay : 12-04-2007 at 11:50 PM.
paper cosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2007, 04:46 PM   #13
wpuzzle
Dreamer Scientist~

I didn't think there were others like me. o_O Yay. I'm a cheap cosplayer too, and I can't sew. Not to mention I don't have a sewing machine, and generally I don't have the time to hand-sew. Sometimes I commission my costume, but when I can do it the cheap way, then I'll do it. I've done a few cosplays the cheap way, and they were actually pretty accurate. I had loads of fun doing it, too.
wpuzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2007, 05:18 PM   #14
geckochan

I totally go for accurate *and* inexpensive. Much of my deciding which costume on my list to do at a given time is based on which one I find bargain supplies for! ^_^ And they look just as good in the end.
geckochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2007, 05:24 PM   #15
EnnuiAE

cheap cosplay

a really really cheap one you could do very easily is L from deathnote. throw on a white long sleeve baggy shirt and baggy jeans. the wig is the only expensive thing. but you could reuse it for a lot of different cosplays.
EnnuiAE is offline   Reply With Quote