Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > MegaCon

Unread 12-03-2007, 05:52 PM   #1
shredsofsanity0

Fist of the North Star (Hotaku no Ken) Group for 2008!!!

My self and fightstar are both interested in getting a FOTNS group for Megacon together and will need help on this one so if anyone is interested please post here and tell me which character you want to do. The list of the following characters are needed as of now:

Kenshiro - shredsofsanity0

Yuria -

Bat (Bart) -

Lynn -

Shin -

Raoh -

Zeed -

Toki - fightstar

Golan Colonel -

Florida Supercon - May 23rd - 25th - Weston, FL

Last edited by shredsofsanity0 : 12-10-2007 at 11:57 PM.
shredsofsanity0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-03-2007, 08:35 PM   #2
fightstar
Kage-Kanbu Master Ninja

Working out the details for Raoh now. I had Toki aobut 98% figured out, but like all cosplay I need to workout the financial parts. Toki and Raoh where at least biologically related. Also Toki's shoulder armor is a lot easier than Raoh's set. Which all depends on which set you go for.

I know how to make the arm bands for most of these characters. You know the ones that almost everyone wears (ex. Toki, Juuza, Rei, Shu, Southern, etc). Learned how to do this from some nice folks here on this site. Take some Lycra, measure it around your arm, pin it and sew it.

Might want to pencil me in for Raoh and Toki for now until I work things out. Still plan on going to Mega Con since my friends are going so that part is taken care of.

As far as the jacket you are thinking about for Kenshiro. The main body was main to have sleeves on it. The problem will be one you cut the sleeves off it will have a little extra on the main body. That is to say that it will not look like it was tailored to be sleeveless. You can get around this since you will be the only leathered Kenshiro in all of cosplay I, or anyone else for that matter, has ever seen.

Which version are you planing on? Show us some reference photos if you have some.
fightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2007, 08:40 PM   #3
shredsofsanity0

Something like this
http://www.blister.jp/images-item-big/ref2-6469.jpg

Unread 12-04-2007, 10:00 AM   #4
fightstar
Kage-Kanbu Master Ninja

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredsofsanity0 View Post
In that case when you cut the sleeves off the armor should cover them. Also start reading some techniques from here, http://amethyst-angel.com/armormaking.html . She is the best and it's a great point to get started for the perfect of perfect armor.
Unread 12-08-2007, 11:19 PM   #5
shredsofsanity0

Yea I will probably pick up the materials for the armor tomorrow and start working on it. I think if anything is going to be a challenge its the hair. >_<

Unread 12-09-2007, 11:50 PM   #6
fightstar
Kage-Kanbu Master Ninja

Quote:
Yea I will probably pick up the materials for the armor tomorrow and start working on it. I think if anything is going to be a challenge its the hair. >_<
Look forward to seeing more on that. Head over to the wig threads and see what you can learn. Start a thread and make some new friends. Remember anything worth doing for cosplay is worth doing it right.

I am pulling resources together to do Toki. I am closer to doing Toki than any other character. Because I have figured out how to make all the items I need. I just need to get some time and $$ to do it. I even put a post on LJ for some wig help. I don't know when I can get the items together, but worth a shot.

At the vary least I don't have to worry about fitness to much. I have that down with my diet, exercise and patience. Thank you Spartans!

Soooo, who else is with us on this 'old school cosplay'??
Unread 12-10-2007, 11:54 PM   #7
shredsofsanity0

Hey fight I pretty much got all the materials ready. I just don't know if I should go with paper mache or not. Also I might think about doing the blue jeans and blue top. Do you have any clue on wear I can get the top from though? This way is a bit cheaper and I'm not spending $150 on the outfit. Also I narrowed down the list. I might see if a buddy of mine wants to do Bart because he would be perfect. And I will keep you updated with the armor making. Hopefully it shouldn't take too long.

Last edited by shredsofsanity0 : 12-10-2007 at 11:56 PM.
Unread 12-11-2007, 12:17 PM   #8
fightstar
Kage-Kanbu Master Ninja

Talking

Personally, I would grab a 'trench coat' or, very hard to find, 'civil war' uniform pattern and go to town on some modifications on that. Other than that go for a jean jacket, from a thrift store or eBay, and try to make sure it matches the pants you are wearing. You might have to get one and cut the sleeves off, but at least the denim will give you that worn look which is more akin to the anime than the manga or anything else.

That is my opinion. If you make the armor pieces out of styrene or sintra with some craft foam for volume you should be good. Remember if you use velcro to attach the armor to cloth sew the velcro on and don't use the sticky stuff. Snaps are also a good option to.

If you run into other problems let me know I will do what I can.
Unread 12-11-2007, 01:40 PM   #9
shredsofsanity0

I found this http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...EWT &v=glance I plan to get it in Navy Blue along with pants in the same color.

Last edited by shredsofsanity0 : 12-11-2007 at 08:10 PM.
Unread 12-11-2007, 08:59 PM   #10
fightstar
Kage-Kanbu Master Ninja

Quote:
I found this http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...EWT &v=glance I plan to get it in Navy Blue along with pants in the same color.
Hhhmmmmm.... now if you could just find one that is more canvas and less fleece. Let me poke around here. I'll get back to you tomorrow or ASAP.
Unread 12-11-2007, 09:11 PM   #11
shredsofsanity0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightstar View Post
Hhhmmmmm.... now if you could just find one that is more canvas and less fleece. Let me poke around here. I'll get back to you tomorrow or ASAP.
No problem. Also and fight are you going to be making several of the black arm bands? I need to know so I don't have to take my self to make one.

Unread 12-12-2007, 12:35 PM   #12
fightstar
Kage-Kanbu Master Ninja

Quote:
No problem. Also and fight are you going to be making several of the black arm bands? I need to know so I don't have to take my self to make one.
Really I need to get a hold of some gray Lycra fabric first then a sewing machine. It's December and things are crazy right now. Lets just say I would pull my hair out if I didn't shave it already. Let me get back to you on that. I want to help, but no promises. So ask me again in January 2008.

/back to salt mines
Unread 01-02-2008, 02:46 AM   #13
shredsofsanity0

Pretty much have the armor done the only thing that is holding me back on this cosplay is the damn vest which I am having a hard time finding. Someone help me. >_>

Unread 01-02-2008, 08:45 AM   #14
fightstar
Kage-Kanbu Master Ninja

Quote:
Pretty much have the armor done the only thing that is holding me back on this cosplay is the damn vest which I am having a hard time finding. Someone help me. >_>
Happy New Year my fellow 'Hokuto no Ken' fans! Yes, help with the cosplay. Sounds like you are in the same boat as me. Lots of love for quality and no skill at sewing what you need. Sounds like we both have the same New Year's Resolution which is to learn how to sew. Looks like the only way to get what you want is to make it. Seriously, you have the will so there is a way.

Some places, other than cosplay.com, to help would be www.craftzine.com. They have links, tutorials and other resources that you need to get things going. That is just my idea. I not sure if I will have my stuff done in time for any con, much less Mega Con, but we still have time.
Unread 01-04-2008, 11:21 AM   #15
shredsofsanity0

Hey fight I managed to find this vest http://www.sewkool.com/product/4400/...nvas_Vest.html.

I will end up doing this black vest with black jeans. Also two armor plates and both arms with wrist tape. I don't need the gauntlet thing. And I will probably end up cutting out the two front pockets of the vest.

Last edited by shredsofsanity0 : 01-04-2008 at 11:26 AM.