Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-05-2007, 07:28 PM   #1
musica heart
silence in these waters.

all time best body makeup, suggestions!

Alright, I am going to be doing a live Cosplay show with an up close audience, and my arms, hands, upper back, face, and neck need to be a clean smooth white with little to no smudging. I have used ben nye cake makeup before with good results but I am wondering if thier are any other types that are not toxic and light wearing that you all could let me know about!

Thanks!
musica heart is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-05-2007, 08:42 PM   #2
Idle_Time

i would say to get somebody with an airbrush and some white airbrush make up to do it for you, that would get the most even consistent coloring and would look awesome, but sadly those kinda people are hard to find :\ if you have the resources i highly recommend that
Idle_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2007, 09:40 PM   #3
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

I prefer Kryolan Aquacolor over the Ben Nye; I found that Ben Nye's cake makeup tended to crack. Of course the skin underneath needs to be super-clean (remove any oil with rubbing alcohol) and use some sealer on top.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

www.costumecon32.com

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2007, 11:34 PM   #4
SwordChick
The boring kind of undead

Here's my secret: liquid latex body paint. You can get it at most fetish stores and it comes in tons of colors and finishes. Plus it's pretty cheap. For about $15 you can get enough to do half your body a couple times.

I started out using Ben Nye, but even if it didn't smudge it sort of "snowed" in tiny flakes all day even with sealer on and it didn't hold up well to friction.

The downside with latex is that it's very tackey untill it dries completely and you put powder on, so you need to paint yourself carefuly. Once it's on, it's on though. It's like a second skin and holds up great even if you sweat. You can check out how it came out on my in my gallery under "Aurra Sing"
Aurra Sing, Battle Angel Alita TUNED, Seras Victoria (blue), Tomb Raider classic (good version and fight show version), Tomb Raider skyscraper, Trinity, Saya (crazy Vietnam version), Shenhua, Arden Lynn (black alternate), MvC3 X-23, Chick Soma Cruz
SwordChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2008, 02:55 PM   #5
Fortinbras86

Somewhat related, I would like to put together a makeup package for the Carbon form of Greed from Fullmetal Alchemist, and I was wondering if anyone knew of a particular Ben Nye shade that would match that deep sort of navy blue/black. I figure the red shouldn't be too much trouble, but any suggestions as to a specific brand for red "detailing" makeup would be appreciate.
Fortinbras86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2008, 08:53 PM   #6
kaochan.n
Kaoru chan ^_^

hi there i need some hel plz, i have fair skin, and i need to look white but not white-dead :s any suggestion plz
kaochan.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2008, 09:54 PM   #7
kkoganei1328
chachamaru!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaochan.n View Post
hi there i need some hel plz, i have fair skin, and i need to look white but not white-dead :s any suggestion plz
use a good brand of foundation one or two shades lighter than your skin, dust with a sheer powder and your done. =D
kkoganei1328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2008, 11:36 AM   #8
AbbytehAWESOME
your local stoner Allen

One of my friend's want to paint her hands, face, and some of her legs a kinda sickly shade of grey. The one thing we're worried about is the fact that she's gonna be wearing a white shirt. X_______X any suggestions?
Nan Desu Kan: Denver

Currently Working on...
D. Gray-man: Allen, third uniform plus Crown Clown Omega and sword! (for Anime Wasabi)
uniform - 75%
sword - 50%
mask - 80%

ARG PROGRESSSSSS
AbbytehAWESOME is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2008, 08:50 PM   #9
CelestialApathy
Reika

Gin Ichimaru Cosplay Makeup

Ok so I'm cosplaying as Gin Ichimaru next month for Saboten con, the only problem is that i am no where near white in any shape or form. I have ebony skin and i was wondering what kind of makeup i would have to use in order to achieve his skin tone without looking like i threw flour on myself.
CelestialApathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2008, 10:05 PM   #10
Kotoumi
Scarlet Witch, Coco

'Kay, so I'm pretty pale and would like to be Mana (Yu-Gi-Oh! Mana, not the Jrocker. ^^)

Does anyone have examples of Mehron's "Light Egyptian" shade?
Or...what other stuff would you recommend? I never like choosing based on the kind of color charts they have; you never know how accurate they are.

KumoriCon 2014
Leanne (Resonance of Fate) - Olivia [Myrmidon] (Fire Emblem: Awakening)
Tactician (Fire Emblem: Awakening) - Misaki [s4, Purple ver.] (Cardfight!! Vanguard) - Belgium [Red Riding Hood] (Hetalia)

SakuraCon 2015
Grima [gijinka] (Fire Emblem: Awakening) - Tactician (Fire Emblem: Awakening)
Shion (Xenosaga Episode I) - Frey (Rune Factory 4)???
Kotoumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 08:33 PM   #11
liraelle

I'm also looking for good body paint that will last all day.
I've looked into liquid latex and I'm still not sure whether I want to go that route or not and I've haven't see a good pic of it dry and with powder applied...

I've read all the comments about Ben Nye so I'm not going to use that either.

I'm thinking of using Kryolan but will it last all day? I will be painting my face, neck, some parts of my chest, ankles and arms blue, and I was wonderiing if it will survive LA weather during July...

Livejournal
liraelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 08:41 PM   #12
Tess
Cupcake Rufflebutt

Mehron's Celebre line. I CANNOT RECOMMEND THIS ENOUGH. :3

@-->--- Tess

deviantartacpfacebook
Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2008, 06:29 PM   #13
Rorasage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwordChick View Post
Here's my secret: liquid latex body paint. You can get it at most fetish stores and it comes in tons of colors and finishes. Plus it's pretty cheap. For about $15 you can get enough to do half your body a couple times."

So I'm a long time cosplaya but only very very small time stuff. This year for Blizzcon I want to go all out.

http://spicytunas.com/wp-content/upl...edar_twins.jpg (One on the left)

So will liquid latex give me the effect I want to cosplay her? Or should I try a body suit. I pretty much have the outfit/bikini done. The feet and horns are meh and I'm buying a wig for the hair. Any input would be awesome! <3

Also how do you apply the latex? My poor boyfriend is gonna pretty much be up all night doing it >.<
Rorasage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2008, 04:26 PM   #14
Aer
rawr

I honestly wouldn't use liquid latex as it doesn't allow your skin to breathe...

I used Ben Nye's Magicolor for my Aayla costume (avatar) and had great success. We airbrused it on...I don't think I could ever fully apply it by hand after using the wonderful airbrush haha
Aer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2008, 12:34 PM   #15
Velasa

I've been cosplaying with a character where I need to paint the entirety of my arms, upper chest and head green with accents of other colors and in previous years I've used a few things but none have ever worked out quite right. The Halloween makeup was cheap and easy to get but it cracked all over my neck and anywhere else that moved and bled horribly into the white part of my costume. I actually used acrylic paint another time and it looked great but I ended up ripping it off after four hours because my face couldn't move and it was driving me crazy.

I'm looking for advice on what kind of makeup to use for this- with the biggest stumbling block being that my hair needs to be the same green as my skin. With the Halloween makeup it was no problem- I could just spread it over that as well, but other things... I'm not so sure.

After my experience with the acrylic paint I get the feeling that liquid latex would make me react much the same way if my skin can't breathe. But I want something that'll look decent with just a few touchups over about ten hours, that I can put on my hair or find an exact/damnclose matching hair dye for, and won't ruin the rest of the costume. What should I be looking for?

And while I'm not prepared to start working with prostetics yet, when one does get them can one use said kind of makeup to turn them the same color as the skin or are they doomed to be slightly off-tone?

I know this is a complicated rambling post, but I've been wanting to fix my makeup for years and you guys would be the ones to know how to do that.
Velasa is offline   Reply With Quote